Stearns and Foster Mattressstrong chemical odor makes my eyes burn

On 7/21 Sears delivered to us a Stearns and Foster mattress we selected by lying on it in the store. We also tried mattresses at Carson's, Macy's and Bloomingdale's. In no store that we were in was there a strong chemical smell coming from any mattress we lay down on. From the time our mattress was delivered to us by Sears, the chemical smell coming off it was overpowering. It got even worse when we lay down on it. I woke after 4 hours with burning eyes and face and tingling lips and tongue. I could not sleep with my face down because of the stench. Everything that came in contact with the bed stank - bedding, pillows, skin. It is now 1 week later and things are only slightly better. I cannot sleep on the bed or even be in the room with it. Sears does not want to take it back. Says smell is normal and it will go away.

• Ki
    Kimberly Halloran May 10, 2016

On Saturday, May 7, 2016, we received our very expensive Stearns & Foster mattress. The following day, the chemical smell became stronger. We let the furniture store where we bought it know we were very upset with the odor coming from it and were told to let it air out for a few days & the smell should go away. It never smelled while in the show room. The smell seems to be getting stronger as the days pass, not weaker. It was so strong this morning, that my eyes and throat burned. We have had the mattress up on end and propped against the wall with all the windows open in the room, an industrial fan pointing at it and the door shut to the rest of the house. We took off the mattress protector & sheets to let it air out completely. Hopefully it will air out before the end of next week as we are having guests and have nowhere to put them at the moment.

• Je
    Jeremy Fredricks Jan 10, 2016

We recently bought (3) new mattresses from Macy's here in Seattle. (2) of the (3) beds did not smell. The (2) that didn't smell were both smaller beds (a full size Seally, and a queen size Serta) but the (3rd mattress a king size Serta) smelled awful. The smell was horrible, like the worst chemical smell you can imagine, we opened our windows, put the mattress on its side so air could get to both sides, and nothing helped. We waited three weeks before we couldn't take it any longer. I called Macy's and they were great about the return process and told us to go pick out another mattress. So the following week we went, found a different mattress maker, Stearns and Foster. They picked up our old mattress and the delivery/pickup guys face was priceless when he entered our room, his face said it all but he also said "oh my god what's that smell, it's the mattress huh?" And I said yep. The new Stearns and Foster mattress is equally as bad. Just like the mattress before (the Serta) it made our pillows and sheets wreak like chemicals. We went and bought a mattress topper just so we don't have to sleep in direct contact with the mattress (a sheet in between us and the bed is not enough). What do we have to do to get a bed that isn't covered in chemicals? This should be illegal!

• El
    Elaine Reising Jan 22, 2011

I purchased a Streans and Foster Bed that was delivered on January 1st and was told to let the bed air out for 2 to 3 hours. I let it air for 3 days than put on my thick mattress pad and made the bed, and was ready to have a good night sleep. I had noticed that their was a strong odor when I entered the room, which I thought was coming from outside, but when I laid down I knew it was coming from the mattress. I called Mattress Discounters the next day and was told that it was from the Memory foam in the mattress and to spray it with Fabrees and that waould take care of the smell. Now it is the 22nd of January and the smell is still their. I think that people should be told their is a chemical smell that comes from the mattress before you buy. All bedding takes on the smell, and gets wash about every four days to let the mattress air. I get headaches from the odor, so I sleep on the couch alot. Called the store again on Jan. 22nd and told to give it a little longer. I guess the couch will be my bed for a while. I will
    make sure I ask if the bed has memory foam before I buy another mattress.