Spirit Air$9 fare club

W

I emailed this to 100 people in my address book and sent a copy of it to Spirit Air as well.

I'm sending this to warn you about this airline. In Feb I signed up for their free 3-month trial in the $9 Fare club. I have their welcome E-mail dated Feb 5th, 08. A 3 month trial would have expired on May 8th, 08. I cancelled the membership before the trial period expired. Spirit sent no confirmation email. I thought everything was fine.

On July 2, 08, two months later, Spirit charged my credit card the $39.95 membership fee. On July 10 I discovered the charge, immediately went to Spirit Air and cancelled it again. I filed a dispute with my credit card company who reinstated the charge, I'm assuming because they could not reach anyone at Spirit Air. Instead I get a letter from the credit card company stating the terms of agreement for Spirit Air's $9 Fare Club. I already knew that!

I contacted Spirit Air via online email submissionto ([protected]@custhelp.com). After several messages back and forth they refuse to acknowledge that I had cancelled before my trial membership had ended. Therefore, according to their terms, I am not entitled to a refund. I also sent a second letter of dispute to my credit card company who has not done anything about it either.

Well, if you can't believe a big airline company couldn't be so underhanded and sneaky about ripping people off take a look at the Florida Better Business Bureau! The highest rating assigned to a company is A+; the lowest is F.

Spirit Air has an "F" rating!!! You can check it out here if you want to:

Who would have believed that a company like this would have an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau!!!

It's only $40 thank goodness. I'm glad I didn't get taken for more. This company had no problem ripping me off, I have no problem letting
everyone I know how they operate. Please pass this to everyone you know.

Thanks!!!

• Am
    Amy Nov 06, 2008

Submitted by Guest Andrea on November 6, 2008 - 11:02.

The $9 fare club is such a scam!! I flew Spirit in the summer of 07 once on a three hundred ticket- in Oct. of 08 a $40 charge shows up on my Amex from Spirit. It's for membership in the $9 fare club. No idea how I got enrolled- I booked my tix online and I suspect it was a negative checkoff that I failed ot uncheck and embedded in the fine print is this annual fee. If you aren't reading your statements carefully you will not see it. To add insult to injury- there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE number. Only reservation agents in India who parrot the phrase 'you must write a letter'. My guess is that they have had sooo many people ticked off about this scam (or their crappy service in general) they purposefully don't have a number. We will see if my letter actually gets me out of this club on the first try...

• Ka
    Kathie Marshall Nov 10, 2008

I totally agree. It is a total scam. My son, who is broke and in college, purchased a ticket online in August to fly home in October. He had only $20 in his account when the $39.95 fee went through which then overdrafted his account and the bank charged him another $32. Of course, he had no idea what was going on and I told him they must've ripped him off somehow when he purchased his ticket. When he called, they said that he needed to uncheck a box to NOT be charged. What a scam!

All I get when I call is foreign accents repeating "it is totally non-refundable." One guy said to write though I'm not hopeful and have never been able to find an email address. I'll use the one I saw on this page.

Don't patronize this airline! How cheap!

angela Feb 05, 2009

I wish I would have seen this information before I signed up for this worthless service. I filled out all my information -including bank debit card then realized at the bottom of the page I could get a fee membership if I applied for their credit card. I filled out the credit card information and hit the apply button. The credit card was approved but the $39.95 fee was still deducted from my checking account!!! When I called the reservations number and spoke to an agent with a heavy Indian accent, they told me there was nothing I could do about the $39.95 fee but that I would be receiving a complimentary membership with my card. We went back and forth with but he just kept repeating the same phrases until I gave up the fight.

How frustrating!!!

• Cl
    CL.LANESE Aug 22, 2009

I ALSO AGREE WHEN I SIGNED UP AND BECAME A MEMBER IN WAS TOLD THAT I WOULD BE ABLE TO TRAVEL FOR $9TO AN FROM WHAT A SCAM.ONCE MY TRIP CAME I HAD PAID A TOTAL OF $166.00 ...THEN THERE WAS NO WORKING CONTACT NUMBER THE ONE I HAD THE NUMBER WAS DISCONNECTED!!! WHAT A SHAM.

• Tu
    Turd Ferguson Oct 13, 2009

Jeez people, it's $9 to fly you around. Even with the $39.99 "annual fee", you still would've got off cheaper than a full flight from that airline's website. Relax, it's a business, and they're there to make money.

And it's your fault that you didn't check the box or read the fine print.

SarahHe Sep 13, 2010

What a scam. They say it's $9 trial, but they charge $39.95 instead immediately on my credit card. It's a shame. Plus Spirit's website is the worst website I ever experienced. Totally not worth the trouble and will never fly with Spirit again.

• J1
    j1j Nov 12, 2010

username? password? anyone? so i could try..

• J1
    j1j Nov 12, 2010

i want to try.. u cud change the password after if u dont trust me

mar Dec 28, 2010

funny how so many people only see the BIG numbers and assume what it means...the trial is 19.95 for 2 months then if you do not cancel you get billed 39.95 because the membership is 59.95 a year...I recently used the trial to purchase round trip tkts LAS -FTL for the best price EVER!
    ...READ THE FINE PRINT ...

• Ep
    ep2002 May 23, 2011

Stupid me not to research the airline beforehand. Who would have thought that the entire world hates this one airline. I expect complaints, but this many???

I purchased the club which right away uses underhanded advertising techniques. $9 ??? LOL, there's nothing $9 about the club. Show me one of their products that costs $9. It's $59.97 or whatever it is, that's a FAR CRY from $9.

Anyway, I sign up thinking I'm going to get a discount on my flight, but I don't, it's only on luggage. Fine, I go ahead with it anyway.

I try to log in, their poorly coded website can't find me in the system. I call to complain, they find me on their end, but I still can't log in.

I try to get the system to reset my password, it can't find my e-mail address.

This goes on & on for over 4 hours with me waiting because they have the nerve to tell me to try back in 2 hours. What company tells a customer to try logging in again in 2 hours??? LOL, I'm a netrepreneur, & I deal with websites 24/7 & NEVER have I ever been told to wait unless they were down for maintenance which is usually done on the wknd. or in the wee hours of the morning, but it was clear this wasn't a maintenance issue.

So after trying over & over again, & calling 3 times in total & constantly being transferred to their IT dept. & speaking to ###ic Indians (I HATE dealing with foreigners overseas who have no intelligence & can barely understand me. This is what these HUGE corporate companies put us thru), I asked to speak to the head office. I can't remember what they said, but obviously I didn't speak to any head office.

Then I did the first smart thing I did, I searched online for complaints & was SHOCKED at all the complaints I saw on TONS of websites, not just this one.

I then asked for a refund. Of course they refused citing their T&C.

I hung up & called my bank. I was told I could get a refund, but of course I have to wait for the pending transaction to go through before I could dispute it.

I wait the entire wknd. & then dispute it thinking all will be fine, but it's not. The girl who took down the info cites the T&C, but sees (as I do) that they don't even have T&C on their site, so if you want to go back & review it, you can't.

I had to wait 2 wks. & still no credit, so I had to call the office of the president.

They argued with me that Spirit's terms & conditions say no refunds. I argued I NEVER used their service, they gave me no access to the site & I canceled within 4 hours THAT SAME DAY because of the numerous problems I had.

She still couldn't do anything b/c of Spirit's Terms & Conditions which I thought was against Visa's regulations b/c when customer disputes a charge, eventually it should come off their credit card if you dispute it over & over again.

Anyway, my bank only credited me as a gift to me for being a long time customer, but they DIDN'T credit my account because of Spirit's TERRIBLE company or lack of service, so be very very careful. I'm surprised that after all these complaints no one has brought this company down already.

P.S. For $100 more I got a ticket with Delta & even though Delta has arrogant disrespectful people working there (only 2 were nice), at least I didn't go thru all of this.