Having problems with Sleep Number?

+1 888 411 2188 (Sales & Customer Service)
+1 763 551 7000 (Head Office)
1001 Third Avenue South
Sat8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

dissatisfaction

We bought a Sleep Number bed back in 2003. I slept on it for about a year and a half but started to get back aches so I began sleeping in the extra bedroom on a regular bed. My husband still sleeps on the Sleep Number bed but is constantly complaining about back aches. I really regret buying the bed but we spent so much money on it that we feel we need to use it. Kinda silly huh. I wouldn't recommend this bed to anyone. It is starting to sag in the middle. Every once in a while I'll sleep on it with my husband but would get up in the middle of the night to go to the other bed since I'd wake up with backaches. This was one of the worst purchases I've every made. I won't make that mistake again.

Maria Jan 23, 2009

I am sorry to say that we also had a bad experience. Not only the product hasn't delivered the promised "no more back pains", but now after only 2 years and 2 months of purchase (we did not assemble it until a few months later when we moved), the pump has gone dead.
    I can blame my back pain on little of exercising, bad posture... but we paid a very high price for a pump that stops working for no apparent reason after only 2 years of use. New buyers beware, the company only ocvers 98% of the cost of the pump in the first 2 years, after that only 72% ($114.83 withTx&S&H) with 4% reduction every year after.
    Ohhh, wait!! Maybe the pumps are not made for uncomfortable costumers who actually can't stick with only one pressure setting because the bed is not any more comfortable than any other.

• Yv
    Yvette May 27, 2009

I agree with maria. I have had this bed for 4 years now and hasnt helped my back, I still wake up with back pain. When I purchased this bed I was under the impression it had a 20 year warranty, but now since my had controller is loosing the numbers on the display I have to pay for a new pump because its all connected. I should have been more aware that the 20 year warranty is limited, for every year you own this bed after 2 years, a 4% reduction is what you get stuck with. I have a regular posturepedic queen bed in my guest bedroom and find it more comfortable. For the money you spend on this bed, you would think the warranty would be better. I wish I never bought this bed.

not what you expect!

My then 80 yr old Mother and I went to the Mall to look at the beds.We laid down on several.Felt wonderfull!...

remote has no display

Hey everyone that has a Sleep Number bed. What's your number? Me? I can't tell you. Both wired remotes lost their displays within a week. Talked to Select Comfort. It seems their warranty does not cover the wired remotes. Because it is wired to the pump, it is too costly for them to cover problems with the remotes. I cannot find anyone that has parts for them. Anyone have an idea where to find the displays for these remotes, please let me know.

• Jm
    jmfmw Apr 12, 2011

My complaint is about their pillow, the salesman did not tell me I could not return for a refund. They pillow has a bad odor, I could not even lay on it the smell was so bad. When I tried to return it they told me I could only return for another item. They are not very easy to deal with.
    caroline from ohio

does not rasie or lower position

I purchased a queen-size sleep by number in May '05 at their Menlo Park store. It had controls to...

not one

I would love to hear from someone who purchased one of the better models of Select Comfort either the 7000 or 9000 if you are interested in selling you bed, and are in Texas. I would love to buy one but I'm completely perplexed at the feeeback. People either LOVE them or HATE them no in between. I think I would like one but I don't want to take a $5000 gamble. If yours doesn't work for you email me with particulars, age, condition, location, and price to [protected]@gmail.com

• Kr
    Kristin Prahl Aug 13, 2008

Hello, my name is Kristin. I work in the Customer Service call center for Select Comfort. I am so happy to hear you are looking to purchase a new Sleep Number bed! I do have a little information for you from a company standpoint vs. customer feedback. (Well maybe a little customer feedback since I am an owner of a king 5000 model and just love my bed!)

One thing to keep in mind is that with the purchase of our beds is that you do get a 30 night in-home-trial. Of course, that means if you are not happy with the bed for any reason you can return it within the 30 night trial. We do also offer extended financing plans and even sometimes cash discounts. Feel free to take a look on our website www.sleepnumber.com to check out the promotions we currently have running. Depending on the model and size you choose, you can also look into purchasing an outlet model. These are discounted beds because they are a previous year’s model. If you would like more information please feel free to call our direct sales department at 1-800-344-6561 or stop into your local store. I would also like to direct you to http://www.beds.com/greatsleep/greatSleepConversation/SNC for more customer feedback about our beds.

Sleep Well,

Europe, SEO Expert London, SEO Expert UAE, SEO Expert
    Ethiopia, SEO Expert Baroda, SEO Expert Gujarat, SEO Expert
    Ahmedabad, SEO Expert Surat, SEO Expert Banglore, SEO Expert
    Hyderabad, SEO Expert Puna, SEO Expert Bombay, SEO Expert
    Mumbai, SEO Expert Delhi.

[email protected]
    Link Exchnge Here : [email protected]

firefighterwek Dec 22, 2009

I bought the 8, 000 paid 4250 for it..

IT IS THE WORST PURCHASE I HAVE EVER MADE. 3 years into it, it is rolled up in my closet.

sleep number bed

Select number beds are nothing more than a couple of air mattresses with a hard plastic frame and an air...

crap warranty

5 year old $2500 bed. A 10 cent chip goes bad on the pump circuit board and they want $150 and insist the...

no follow up service

I am disgusted with my Select Comfort sleep number bed. I paid over 8, 000 for it and it will not retain the pressure it is set at. Noone will come and fix it, expects me to fix it myself with instructions on the phone, and to replace parts myself. This is totally disgusting for the amount of money we spent. Someone should be able to come to the house and fix it for me, it has never been right since I bought it 8 months ago.

Is there nothing that can be done legally for purchasing something that has never worked as advertized?

• Ia
    Ian Thielke Jun 04, 2008

Hi Patricia,

I'm Ian from Select Comfort, creators of the Sleep Number bed. I am very sorry that a part of your bed is defective and I apologize for the way your complaint was handled when you called. Your satisfaction is very important to us and, while we can not change the terms of the warranty, we welcome any and all of your feedback. Please call us at 800-472-7185 or email us at [email protected] so we can provide you with more information to help resolve your issue right away.

Sleep well,

Ian

My Sleep Number is 60

mold issue with the foam

The interior of my Select Comfort Bed is moldy. I asked for a replacement foam insert and they want to charge...

2 comments San Anselmo Furniture

beds offer no spine support

I bought a Sleep Number bed 4 yrs ago (the dual control type). I noticed I started waking up with terrible...

misleading and hidden info on financing!

I had been looking at the sleep number bed for some time and had received informational material from them. I...

poor product!

I purchased a select comfort bed in the year of 2001. Between 2001 and Jan 2008 I had to replace the air pump four times, and two air chambers. Although under a prorated warranty ( 70 Percent during my problem period), the air chambers cost about 50 each and the air pumps are over 150. I have also had to sew my mattress seam back together by hand to keep the zipper from becoming unattached. The air chambers can fail due to O-Ring Failure, cracked plastic air-intake nipple, rubber seam failure or air hose connector malfunction.

One needs an experienced pit crew to keep this bed system in operation. The bed sleeps good except for the dreaded trenching effect. That's where one person slides into the other sleeper because one person chose a lower sleep number than their partner.

• Ar
    Art Mar 23, 2009

I'm sorry to hear all these horror stories. I'm glad I didn't read them before we bought ours. We did have one failure of the dials not being readable after a year or two. They sent us a new pump and dials for no charge. Yes, I did have to get under the bed and stuff, but it wasn't that bad - I'm 65 years old. The really good thing about the bed is that I like it soft and my wife likes a hard mattress. She runs at like 75 and I run at like 25. We're both comfortable, whereas before it was either she or me.

• Po
    Polebilly13 Jun 22, 2009

Are there Children jumping up & down on it? Also, do you do alot of Banging on it? Are you or anyone useing it Overweight?

firefighterwek Dec 22, 2009

Hey Larry.. I have ha dall of the same problems with it! No kart wheels or jumping on the bed Polebilly13... as I am sure larry wasn't either..

The bed sucks

terrible experience!

I purchased a sleep number bed do to a couple of herniated discs in my back. I had been sleeping on the couch...

scam and cheating!

I hate this bed. We purchased the Sleep Number bed several months ago and I was out of the country when it was delivered so I missed the 30 day return window. I set the number at 50 when I go to bed and wake up in a couple of hours with it being too soft or too hard. Sometimes it's 70 and sometimes it's 35. I have a back and neck ache every morning. Now I'm stuck with a $1600.00 bed I'm gonna be paying for for years.

Thanks for nothing, Sleep number!

sink hole!

We purchased a sleep number bed with duel controls about 6 months ago. After a fews weeks my half sunk in, I almost have to be helped to get out. I made the bed harder and after a few days back in a hole i was. I called customer service and they sent me out a pad to put underneath the air mattress, because i could feel the hard bottom. That didn't work ! I called again and was told sink holes weren't under the warranty and at that time was told to vacuum the top cushion. Which hasn't helped. My husbands side is fine and he weighs 90lbs more than me. I realize that mattresses do sink some, we're talking about a 6" inch depth and after only a few weeks, and another thought if it's air and i get out shouldn't it re-distribute itself ?. Well. it doesn't. the hole is always there. When i get up and my husband moves he falls into the hole. We are paying over $2000.00 for a bed I'm ready to change. I thought it would last me much longer then a few months.

SO I WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE PURCHASING A SLEEP NUMBER BED. I have pictures of the hole if any one would like to see just email me and I'll send u them. A DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

very unhappy with sleep number bed!

I'm so happy to finally read complaints that equal mine about this bed!! I had some minor back problem...

worst purchase ever made

I have not had a good nights sleep in over a year! This was the most costly mattress I have ever purchased and definitly the most uncomfortable. I like my side firm, my husband likes his side soft. My problem is that because of this difference, I spend the entire night trying to resist rolling down to his side of the bed. I feel like I am sleeping on the side of a hill all night. It seems like they should have put a decent baffle in the middle of the bed to prevent this from happening but that would be a poor assumption on my part. I would recommend to never ever ever buy this bed and just invest in a decent mattress which will cost probably half as much. This product should be recalled

• La
    Larry Katerzynske Dec 08, 2007

My god, I can't believe it. I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with this mattress. What a complete rip-off. It feels like an ancient, worn-out mattress because of the huge chasm in the middle of the bed. It is absolutely the worst $2500 I ever spent. And just in case anyone that reads this is considering a purchase, beware of the seller trying to load you up with unbelievably priced sheets, pillow cases, pillows, etc. Someone else we know bought a higher end mattress (only difference is the pillow top, the dealer said), but they bought all kinds of rip-off pillows, etc and totaled up to over 6 grand. His quote after 3 months? "I'd like to take it out and burn it." STAY AWAY!

• Ev
    evelyn smith Jan 26, 2008

I am having the same complaints as everyone else. I purchased this bed March of 2006. I have never had a back problem in my life. After two or three months my back would be in so much pain after sleeping on the 7000 series. I was naive and kept going to the doctor. I finally got a very astute physical medicine doctor who asked me what kind of bed I slept on? I answered very proudly that I was sleeping on a very expensive 7000 sleep number bed. He went on the computer and showed me all my same complaints. He told me someone should sue the company for false advertising. He told me to sleep in my guest room on a much cheaper bed. I did for a month without any pain when I woke up. I have been complaining to customer service and got the most rude person.

• Le
    Leslie Jul 14, 2008

We have 2 different sleep number beds making our recent purchase only a few months ago. We took apart the first one to move to our son's room and never found evidence of any problems. All of us sleep much better than we have after getting our beds. I have a dear friend with a family of six - all sleep on the sleep number beds and have cut down their chiropractic bill substantially since. Everyone that I know (and it is a LOT of people) that have a sleep number bed would never trade it back for their old mattress.

firefighterwek Mar 15, 2010

Same problem here!

• Ha
    Hairyshaw Jul 18, 2010

I PURChase a commodore acclaim on 26/06/10 and have not received it I sent money for transport but get the excuse that it is the carrier at fault which I find it hard to beleive.

• Ha
    Hairyshaw Jul 18, 2010

I AWAIT your advice.

pickup of returned mattress

I'm returning this mattress because it's very uncomfortable, and I called on July 2 to arrange pick-up. They "can't" pick it up until July 29. For $199, I would think they could make a special trip. That $199 is supposed to include the cost of taking the bed apart, but because I didn't want to spend a month on an inferior mattress and was able to get a new mattress right away, I bought a replacement mattress and therefore had to take the bed apart myself, and now it will be stacked around my apartment for a month.

When you look at the bed, don't let the sales person turn on the thing that makes it adjustable and the vibrating stuff. She had me sitting up in it for 15 minutes, and I was too stupid to realize that I really had no idea how comfortable or uncomfortable it really is. If you have two chambers, it slopes toward the middle of the bed. I'm told that doesn't happen if you only have one chamber, which defeats the whole purpose of having a choice. They also tell you, after you've bought it, that you should have at least three slats on your bed frame, and I didn't, but I'd never have bought the thing if I'd have known I was going to have to modify my frame.

• Ti
    Tim McGee Sep 26, 2007

This complaint makes little sense.
    The Sleep Number bed has to have a solid foundation under it to allow it to work.
    The person mentions the adjustable foundation yet doesn't say they bought it.
    Regardless, customers do not have to modify there bed to sleep on a Select Comfort mattress as long as they purchase a set.
    A set is a mattress and a foundation (which takes the place of the box spring) and sits on bed slats, on your bed frame, or in/on a steel foundation.
    The mattress doesn't drift to the middle when adjusted properly and the only reason to buy a single chamber mattress would be if you will be the only person in the bed.
    In reality few beds are returned but you can't make everyone happy.
    Most mattress retailers would not give you any refund at all.

• Zh
    Zhenan Jin Jan 31, 2008

Select Comfort has been around for a long time. I know from retail experience that some people tend to exaggerate the facts. I own 4 Sleep number Beds. Two are #5000 Queens and two are #3000 twin longs.

Here are the facts.
    1. Yes it takes approximately 2 weeks or longer to receive it. Why? Because they are not pre-made and the delivery time depends on YOUR availability. If you are returning a bed, remember it tooks 2 weeks to get it. Why would it take less time for them to pick it up?
    2. Everyone loves to mention how much they paid for their bed but over half of them don't even know the model number of the bed they purchased. Which goes to show they probably didn't pay attention to the representative either!
    3. Just like after purchasing a new pair of shoes, it takes about 2 weeks for your feet to adjust to them. But unlike the shoes, your Sleep Number bed will need to be adjusted by what your body wants. You can leave it on one setting for 20 years or change it every night for 20 years. It is a brand new bed 365 nights a year, because you control it.
    4. Did you know that whatever happens 15 minutes before you get into bed determines what position you will sleep in? Change your sleep number accordingly. It is not carved in stone.
    5. While back sleepers and small children can be comfortable on the Sleep Number 3000 model, I have found that side/stomach sleeping adults and women, need the extra comfort layers of the #4000 and up. Especially if you weigh 125 lbs or more. This is because your body is wider than the #3000 is thick and since you are practically laying on the air chamber, you feel everything it does.
    6. If one person sleeps on 25 and the other sleeps on 85, you may experience a roll-into problem on the #3000 and #4000. But not on the 5/7/9000. The extra comfort layers nestle you in. All you have to do is call customer service and request a lift-kit.
    7. In most cases the chamber is not leaking. You can only set your sleep number while you are laying on the bed in your sleep position. You will see the "air pressure" when you are out of or sitting on the bed. When you get out of bed and lay back down it is normal to see a variation of +/- 5 or 10. This is because you will not be lying in the exact spot that you were before. The bed registers the number based on where you really are in the bed. (If you took a chalk outline of yourself, got out of bed and then tried to lay in the same spot, you can not.) If your bed IS leaking air, call customer service for a replacement.
    8. Every company that does same-as-cash financing shows you interest accrued on your statement. This is the amount you would be paying if you don't pay it off in time. Finance companies do this so it would not be a shock to you if you can't make that last payment in time.
    9. If you are upset about something you may have misinterpreted, do not remember being told or do not understand, do not call your consultant or customer service while you are angry. Give yourself a moment to breathe and collect your thoughts or write them down if necessary. You need to make your call with a clear head so that your issue can be addressed in a calm and timely matter.
    10. The Sleep Number is for sleep. Not for show! If you purchased the lowest price bed just to say you own one. Or the most expensive bed because you THINK it is the top of the line, you have no one to blame but yourself. The BEST bed is the bed that does what you need it to when you need it to. Listen to your body, not your ego. Let your body tell you what it wants and you will sleep very well and wake up refreshed.

I hope these tips help to straighten a few things out. I do not work for the company. I am not an investor. I am an owner who listened to my consultant and tried the bed several times during different times of the day before I made my decision. My body wanted the #5000 and that's what I gave it. I love my bed and customer service has been excellent!!!

lied about finance charges during promotion

Well I't seems i'm part of the so many unhappy and complaints about GE Money Bank. Me and my wife had purchased a bed from the store called Select Comfort in 11/05 for the amount of 2,100 dollars and were given a 18 month free of finance charges. The finances charges were not to be added or charged by GE Money Bank until the promotional period was to be over in 5/07. Well to my surprise I'm not sleeping so comfort in this bed anymore, to my surprise after paying 100/200 monthly this months statement came in and expecting to be at the ending balance of 800$ we were finally happy to be able to pay it off with our income tax but we were shocked to se that our balance had jumped to 1,500$ as you can imagine this but me in a up roar. I've called GE money Back and well it's like talking to and scratched record player getting the same answer from everybody, from customer service to supervisors - well the finance charges had started since day 1 and since the balance was not paid in full before the ending promotion date that it would be added on at ending period, but in the mean time here we were thinking that the finances charges were not going start until the ending period like we were told by the salesperson al Select Comfort sleep bed company. GE Money Bank is one off the most rip off banks that i have ever done business with and will be the last time i ever do. They were at no help, they are not an bank you can go to-just over the phones probably hidden in some warehouse or abanded office, but by word of mouth and other means people should be warned about select comfort and ge money banks practices on how they do business and how they do not help the customer at all.

• Ti
    Tim McGee Sep 26, 2007

The consumer is given a credit agreement anytime they fill one out.
    The customer was sent 18 monthly bills stating the amount owed and interest accrued.
    GE isn't doing anything every other finance company will do nor is Select Comfort.
    I don't care if you shop at Sears, Circuit City, Mattresses & More, Sam's Club, Costco, Best Buys, Comp USA, Lazy Boy, HH Gregg, Dillard's, Macy's, Penny's, or any other major retailer the same results will occur regarding interest on the entire amount.
    There was no scam committed.
    This was more in line with consumer ignorance on credit and how to works.

• Se
    secrettrance Jan 11, 2010

In clear english the contract states that the balance must be paid by the end of the promotional date or all interest accrued will be applied to the balance. It is called deferred interest. I just purchased this bed and am under the same exact contract you speak of. GE Money bank also did this same offer for customers of Tweeter. It is your own fault for not reading and understanding the terms of the agreement which YOU SIGNED. Next time bring mommy or daddy with you.

beware of interest scam!

You buy a bed, you have no payments no interest for 1 year, but if you don't read the fine print and...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices