Shoprite Checkers Logo

Shoprite Checkers

Having problems with Shoprite Checkers?

Shoprite Checkers reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 23, 2007. The latest review No Signage and incompetent Store and Staff was posted on Oct 12, 2021. The latest complaint competition was resolved on Feb 16, 2017. Shoprite Checkers has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 279 reviews. Shoprite Checkers has resolved 21 complaints.

Shoprite Checkers Customer Service Contacts

+27 800 010 709 (Customer Service)
+27 219 804 000 (Head Office)
CNR William Dabs and Old Paarl Roads
Brackenfell
South Africa - 7560

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Shoprite Checkers Customer Service. Initial Shoprite Checkers complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Shoprite Checkers above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Shoprite Checkers. Discuss the issues you have had with Shoprite Checkers and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Shoprite Checkers Complaints & Reviews, Page 13

Shoprite at Ndofaya Mall, Soweto — long queues and bad service

It's month end and the ques where long, no express tills to cater for people with 3-4 items, a few till...

Shoprite — expiration dates

I went to shop for groceries an other foods at shoprite and when i realized that all the food experation...

Shoprite — shoprite cashier

I went to visit Shoprite at Hillbrow Johannesburg with my girlfriend to do our shopping for the festive...

Shoprite Hamilton NJhealth issues

Shoprite bakery cake decoration area:people observed "touching and handlling" cookies and decorating cooked "finished product with bare hands-without gloves. This has been ongoing for a while and store management do not correct this issue. People do not want to eat anyone's dead skin cells! All food handlers must wear hand protection when touching cooked foods, as per fda laws.

Shoprite — bullying manager

I am a regular shopper at ShopRite of Perth Amboy, NJ and I have witnessed (on many occasions) the Manager...

Shoprite Fox Streethome delivery order not complete

Shoprite corporate office address: 160 silas deane highway, wethersfieldct, 06109fax:phone: [protected] detail of order number: [protected] placed 4/22/2014 7:47:32 am estdelivered 5pmitems orderedsku brand/product name price qty product totals073410163320 arnold rolls - select hot dog $2.50 3 $6.[protected] arnold rolls - select sandwich with sesame seeds $2.50 3 $6.[protected] hershey's dark chocolate kisses - special dark $3.69 2 $7.[protected] hershey's peanut butter cups - dark chocolate $3.69 2 $7.[protected] lipton iced tea mix - lemon $6.99 1 $6.[protected] pampa lemon juice from concentrate $1.00 2 $2.[protected] seltzer lebanon bologna $5.99 1 $2.[protected] shoprite orange juice $2.99 5 $14.[protected] shoprite frozen orange juice concentrate - some pulp $2.69 15 $40.[protected] shoprite turkey $6.99 1 $2.[protected] shoprite american cheese $4.49 1 $2.[protected] turkey hill ice cream - premium chocolate peanut butter cup $3.29 2 $5.[protected] utz potato chips - sour cream & onion $2.99 8 $23.92 product total: $127.14sales tax: $0.00delivery charge: $15.95 order total: $143.09shoprite american cheesesubtotal: $13.47click for product details. lb 3.00 @ $4.49 only rec'd 0.50 lbseltzer lebanon bolognasubtotal: $14.98click for product details. lb 2.50 @ $5.99 only rec'd 0.41 lbshoprite turkeysubtotal: $17.48click for product details. lb 2.50 @ $6.99 only rec'd 0.29 lbhershey's peanut butter cups - dark chocolate $3.69 2 $7.38 only rec'd 1 bagthis is my sixth time ordering home delivery. i am disabled, and homebound. sincei can no longer volunteer my physcial time, I now donate a free lunch day to a homeless shelter, once or twicea month. I placed my most recent order on 4/22/14, at 730am, it was delivered at 515pm, that same day. the shelterpicked it up from my home at 8pm. the shelter called me at 9pm, and told me that there was hardly any lunchmeat or cheese, and 1 bag of peanut butter cups was missing. I called the fox street shoprite at 915pm, and I told the person who answered [protected], that I had ordered 8lbs from the deli dept. , and had only recieved 1.20lbs. I told her I needed it for a homeless luncheon the following day. she was very sorry, and told me that becauseit was the stores fault, it would befree, there would be no charge for the meat and cheese that was not delivered, and no delivery charge, since I had already paid that. and the missing bag of peanut butter cups would also be free. she told me to call in the morning to get my delivery time. the person I spoke with in themorning told me that I would need topay for the missing lunchmeat and cheese if I wanted it, well I had nochoice, because there were a lot of hungry people waiting to be fed in 3hours. it was delivered to my home at 11am, and picked up by a volunteer, and by the grace of god, the lunch was served. I had to pay $44.45, forthe stores mistake, I really hope you will return that money to me, a credit would be fine, because I will continue to use your store for my homeless lunch orders. thank you, mary mulhall, 5009 copley road, phila. , pa. 19144, [protected] ps.. i sent 3 other emails to "contact us" site

Shoprite Bakerypoor cake selections

Went to my local shoprite in Mount Pocono Pa to pick up a cake for my daughters birthday. The selections all had strawberry filling
      which my daughter has an allergy to. When asking the workers in the bakery they informed me that they did not have any cakes without this filling. They brought out one cake that had no icing on it and said they where not cake decorators so I was out of luck. I think that it is pretty sad that a 3pm on a Saturday there was no one to help me. I will never buy anything from their bakery again. Who puts people in the bakery department that can not decorate a cake? Worst experience ever. Very disappointed in shop rite.

• Li
          lionel house Mar 26, 2014

when i first starting buying the large shoprite brand potatoe chips they were good and had less salt than other brands.the last two large bags i bought tasted salty and burned.they were actually disgusting.

Shoprite, Eldorado Parkmistreated a child

Child Distraught as a Result of your staff Incompetence

Written on: 30.12.2013

To whom it may concern

Formal Complaint against Eldorado Park Shoprite, Customer Service, Management and Security.

Outline:

On the 22

nd December 2013, I dropped my wife and my Daughter off at Shoprite Eldorado Park. On my return to pick them up, I found my daughter in tears, out of all the ramblings I could make out that they had accused her of stealing from the store. Between the thought of false accusation or the fact that it might be true, I decided that I would allow her mother to explain what happened.

It turns out a person in civilian clothing, after they had passed the security check point, ran up to my daughter and grabbed her handbag. I get fumed if I imagine the shock she and my wife had felt as my wife was sure they were being attacked and robbed. After security intervened they were taken back into the shop and searched, " NOTHING WAS FOUND". Only then did they explain that this random person was actually part of security and working undercover, which makes no sense, but that was the situation.

Summary:

- They were allowed to leave the store even though "undercover agent" suspected thievery

- They were then attacked and terrorised, before being advised that this person is an employee of Shoprite

- The accusations were unfounded and not even so much as an apology was rendered

- My child at this point is in tears, distressed and her mother bitterly ANGRY.

Result:

I could not contain my anger, grabbed my child by the hand and headed straight to what I believed was management. I stated my case and demanded answers. They were so nonchalant about it, as if it happens daily and that it was normal to treat people this way. They called this under cover person who I yelled at demanding answers for his actions.

The guy laughed at me, this is when I lost it and have to admit that I could have controlled myself better. I ended up swearing at the lot of them and threatening to beat the daylights out of that guy, however sense had prevailed and I left it at that, the manager casually hands me a number and says "phone his boss as this company is separate from Shoprite".

I would assume if they end up hurting someone they would have been there on their own accord and not paid to be there by Shoprite.

We left and I thought I could leave it at that.

Child Distraught as a Result of your staff Incompetence Written on: 30.12.2013

Concern:

After consoling my child, I realised that this had a profound impact on her, a person attacking her and then accusing her of being a thief. She is only 10 years old, still a baby, but also not an idiot and has very real feeling as you people clearly cannot comprehend.

I can only Imagine how many other people are treated in this manner, then Yesterday again she bursts into tears. She was thinking of the whole ordeal and wondered how this could be.

Imagine a 10 year old asking me, why they did not approach her mother first, before grabbing her and harassing her.

Well the buck stops there

I demand some sort of retribution. And I make no feeble treat when I say:

I will take it up with the highest level within Shoprite Holding right up to the Board, including the press and every Social media link I can get my hands on.

Consider yourselves lucky this was not already done; I look forward to your most speedy resolve.

Brenton Maber

[protected]@gmail.com

Shopritefraud

Hallo, my sister tranfered R2000 ]for my mom through the Shoprite in Hillbrow on the2014-01-04. She my mom the details but in a surprise she was calling informing us that the money was collected in YOU SAVE STORE which is also around Hillbrow. by an unknown person. We went and confronted the manager but he was really rude to us, he didn't even give us time to explain, but his only words he spoke was that we must go and open a case in Hillbrow police station. We opened the case and the police told us that the person who collected the money cant be traced cause she has no account etc, but our question is how did someone collect our cash without knowing the pin.Please we really need our cash back course yours service really left us with million questions...we advice other people to stop using that service course it seems there's scam taking part...PLEASE NEED OUR CASH BACK!!!

• Li
              lihle Jun 19, 2014

hi my name is lihleI just bought a yogurt
              t on my way home, when I'm opening it i looks like rotten or watery milk, i taste bad. I'm so disappointed since i have craving for the whole day. this thing also happened wh bought maas from the same supermarket. can somebody do something please

• St
              STEPHEN RUSSELL May 28, 2014

Good Day
              In February 2014 on the 21st and 19th I paid in a total of R3900 to a guy to render a service STEPHEN RUSSELL(LOAN)ITS NOW 5 MONTHS NOTHING HAS HAPPENED HIS GOT MY MONEY IM GOING THROUGH A VERY DIFFICULT TIME STILL FINANCIALLY I JUST WANT MY MONEY BACK URGENTLY!IVE BEEN TO THE POLICE ASWELL GOT A AVIDAVIT, I LOST MY CAR ASWELL SO IVE LOST MAJORLY

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CONTACT ME URGENTLY PLEASE I NEED THIS MONEY DEPERATELY!

PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME

SIDNEY NICHOLSON

Shoprite Silvertonrude cashier

I have been shopping at Shoprite Silverton for past 10 year but the services is so poor the only reason why I shop there is because of they prices but otherwise for they service is not on standard. At the express till the cashier refuse to pack the my goods, I am not a employee of shoprite but a customer and we are the people how pay they salary. I am very upset with the service that I received at Shoprite and believe me this is not the first time it happen. I was ones a employee at Shoprite and where I come from we were discipline we knew what is was to be a cashier and a packer at the same time. Please sent the cashiers
            for customer service training this will improve the cash flow as well.

Regards

Upset customer

Shoprite — terrible management

Shop Rite is a terrible place to work. Managers and workers abuse their seniority and get away with...

Shopriterude cashier

I visited ShopRite today, the service was too slow I have wait more than 15 minutes on the que before been helped and on top of that the cashier that helped me was not friendly, she didn't even bother to greet me, she just took things on my hand and ring them up on the till. That was the worst experience I experienced in ShopRite, I think shoprite has to provide their staff with customer service training, cause that particular cashier behavior its going to case customers away.her name is Liziwe. She is very rude.

• Kt
                  kt12 Jun 17, 2015

i went to buy cigarette at usave geluksdal for couple of times. only to find out that the cashiers are not scanning it and they not charging it on a normal price ...your slip wont be checked ...

Shopriteemployee mistreated

Please forward this to the correct person
                I was hired for the Bay Shore shop rite for the dairy dept over a month ago
                I was lied to from the start with regards to my hourly salary of 7.25 the hiring person named Peggy told me based on my over 20 years experience she would talk to Odel the dairy manager to get me at least $8 to start. Now I began to work under conditions only slaves were put under when my shift started at 6pm the dairy box a mess the shelves empty damages everywhere I have pictures to prove all of this! I spoke with the manager Gary about 2 weeks ago advising him empty shelves people waiting for eggs/milk. Twenty years in the business I ask myself why would a store be run this way? I then a had a conversation on November 10th with a manager named Phil about my salary and the way things are run he advised me everything that happens at that store generates from his desk to this day I have not heard a word about my being lied to on initial hire. Then finally last nite I came in this time the dairy back room loaded with damages Uboats and juice hardly any place to stand and fill shelves
                I proceeded to take pictures and send them to my supervisor Odel who called the store upset I bothered him on his day off proclaiming he doesn't need to see pictures I advised him I was sending him the pictures to show the conditions and damages and he said I have a job to do just do it! For me to stop saying I was helping him he wanted no part of it!
                I advised him he should talk to people this way and for $7 an hour yes I had a job to do but this is not a job it's being enslaved! If I do not hear back from someone in corporate with an apology I will have no choice but to take this to the next level and I guarantee there are many employees at that bay shore ny shop rite that will join me! You do not treat employees this way especially experienced family based employees with good intentions
                I can be reached at [protected]

ShopriteI was billed double

went to Shoprite in tsakane on the 29-04-13.I purchased goods for an amount of R526.08.I paid using my debit card the first time the cashier said the transaction didn't go through as the system was offline. She took the card and did the transaction again. A few days later when I checked my statement I found that I was debited twice on that day. I went to Shop rite on the 05-05-13 and informed them of the problem. They told me that they cannot see it on their system so they need to escalate it to the bank and I will receive my money within 3 days.I waited for the whole week and nothing came through. I went back on the 12-05-13 and they told that they can't check anything since the people from there are not working on Sundays. I spoke to Maria Nohube (Admin Manager) and she said I must leave my details and she will call me on the 13-05-13 with feedback, she didn't call back. I then contacted her at around 16:50 asking her what was the outcome. She said the system was offline and she hasn't been able to check it. I then cut the call. She call me back immediately and said the money has been transferred back to my account but i have wait days.i couldn't do that so i went to help peter and i explained situation. They told me shoprite has released the money i must wait 48 hours - 12 days before i can get it. I waited for 3 days nothing came through, so i went to my bank and asked them to check if the was maybe hanging somewhere on their side and they said they cant see it. Which means shoprite had not banked my slip. I am now so frustrated that i feel like i don't want to go to any shoprite store for the rest if my life. I need that money to buy groceries. My money was taken within a second but it seems like i need to wait for a month to get it. This is not on someone is not doing their job. I just wanna go back to tsakane mall with a gun, maybe they will take me seriously then. Please assist as i have had even now

Shoprite — misleading signage

Out shopping on this beautiful Easter Sunday...my day was good until going to Shop Rite. I walked past the...

Shoprite U Save — poor service

Good morning I am going to be straight to the point. U save staff is really, really rude, unprofessional and...

Shoprite in Sea Pointdirty store, disrespectful staff

I am a regular customer at Shoprite in Sea Point, unfortunately it is the closest grocery store to my work. My complaint is firstly that the store is filthy, I have watched them mop the floors with a dirty mop and no bucket on various occasions, I have noticed cockroaches at the tills and at the section where they sell the fried chicken, there are always flies around the food section and I noticed that they have a certificate on the wall as proof that their cooking equipment / section has been professionally cleaned - in 2009! Are they supposed to clean it once every three years? Shouldnt it be done more regularly for hygienic reasons? Once I bought overspiced chicken there and was told by a colleague that it smells funny, after I had already consumed half of it. Upon closer inspection I had to agree that it does smell funny, asif it was expired already and I threw the rest away. Another time I bought cake and when I got to work and wanted to eat it, the cake was hard. I took it back and they apologised and refunded me. Yet another time I bought a milk tart for my birthday, to treat my colleagues and after already eating a slice, one of my colleagues alerted me to the fact that there is fungi growing on the milktart. I am considering lodging a complaint to the health department if that will get them to shape up that store. The staff, especially the cashiers and packers at the tills have complete disregard for customers and sometimes have lengthy personal conversations with each other while taking their sweet time to assist the client. I once even witnessed an argument between a cashier and her packer where they insulted each other in fornt of me while they were assisting me. I have also noticed that these same staff members discuss and insult management within full hearing of a customer, sometimes even with the manager or supervisor present and not saying anything to reprimand them. All in all, not a pleasant experience to shop there. A disgrace, considering Sea Point is one of the main tourism destinations in Cape Town. Is this what we expose our visitor's to?

Shopritepoor hiring decisions

I was first interviewed on 3/10/11. I was told I was hired but unsure of starting date. Had to do another application online. Interviewed again. I was hired. No start date. I then received a certified letter stating they could not reach me, good luck. I called and left messages. I had to waste 2 days off my regular employment to not get hired. I understand they can get away with this.

Shopriteinterview gone wrong

Recently I had an interview with the shoprite of byram for a night position and was fired when I got my tag because they told me I didnt follow dress code. To my understanding at the bottom of the employee hand book which I was told to read stated that nightshift employees did not require a collard shirt, tie and shorts, it did not state we had to wear them for an orientaion so plz check your own rules again before you fire someone other poor soul on the first day.

Ps. Im sure you heard dont judge a book by its cover!

Shopriteunbelievable!

I called the woman from Human Resources about 2 weeks after she had called me back and had said twice that she believed me and that I didn't have to show her my two receipts and that she would be willing to meet me at this Shoprite when I show the managers my October receipt which proves that I did buy a good homestyle garlic turkey breast there that cost 6.59 for half of a pound not 3.21.She had said in the first that she would speak with them and get back to me and that usually takes a day or two.

Well, I told her that I would call her if I could go that Thursday of that week to meet her there but I couldn't go. She never called me back about this. And I had told her then, that I'm sure that they are still going to deny they ever carried it and I said they might become more defensive and angry because my October receipt proves that I'm right and they're wrong and they don't want to admit it, she said no, I'll talk to them.And when I spoke with her May 2 she now says that she did speak with them and that they said that they only have been carrying this cheaper type of garlic turkey breast and that someone made a mistake with what they gave me in October! Yeah right, I purposefully sought out and bought a cheap fake processed type of turkey breast (which I don't like and never buy, )before, and I only got this good homestyle more expensive one once by mistake!? Total bull!

I told her again for the zillionth time, that I did buy it there several times before October and that the Deli manager at this store told me on the phone weeks ago when I first spoke with her, that the more expensive garlic turkey wasn't selling there. I said to this woman from Human Resources in my first and my recent conversation, how would she have known it wasn't selling if they never carried it there? She said she didn't know and that she looked in their case when she was there recently and she said it is the cheaper kind that they are selling now. And she said I should just ask to taste it before I buy it.

I said I didn't need to taste it because as I said, I had already bought it there quite a few times before and I knew that I liked it and I had told her during my first conversation that I had seen it in their front case a few times before but I wasn't sure I would like it, but then eventually I asked if I could taste it, and they gave me a little and I knew I liked it.She sounded as if she believed them now and said the store manager told her he doesn't think I'm being deceptive, she said it's human error. Unbelievable!

• Hello my name is Alan Goldberg, I am a former employee of Carteret Shoprite. For the record I had worked for the store for almost eight years. I will be the first to admit that I was not the greatest employee ever but I will state that I was far from the worst. My position with the company was that i was their meat manager. Over the years, i experienced some problems with my job that included lack of proper personel, lack of cooperation from my managerial team which included some of the other department managers and eventually my lack of desire to complete my job duties due to the lack of respect that i received from my store manager. I will be the first to admit that I did not do everything that i was told to do by my managers and I agree that I was wrong. In my defense I must state that I did not get the proper help and guidance from my store manager Mike Marzullo when it came to helping me fix problems or situations in my department. When it came down to it Mr. Marzullo would usually go out of his way to make any problems that I brought to him worse by berating me and he would also blame me for causing the problem. So instead of making a small problem go away he would usually make the problem 10x worse. It got to the point that just about everyday he would make a sarcastic and hurtful comment to me just to get under my skin so he could ruin my day. After I quit I still shopped in the store until Mr. Marzullo started to pull me on the side to tell me that I needed to keep my mouth shut and stop bad mouthing the store to everyone. After about three to four times of this happening I explained to Mr. Marzullo that whatever he was hearing about me talking badly about the store was all complete lies. Even after I explained this to him he told me that if he heard any more about bad things being said he and the owner Lenny Sitar would put a restraining order on myself, my girlfriend and any of our family from stepping foot on the entire complex property. Even to this very day I am hearing things from employees of Carteret Shoprite that things are being said that I am writing and saying bad things about the company and some of their employees. Anyone that knows me especially those that have known me for years, would state that I have always gone to an individual especially MR. MARZULLO when i have had or was having a problem with something whether it was personal or about business. So to constantly hear that I am doing or saying things about a person in this company or something about the company itself behind their backs is an absolute lie. One of my biggest faults i find about myself is not knowing when to keep my mouth shut. Over the years this trait has certainly got me my share of troubles but what i know is that no one can accuse me of being a back stabbing no good person. I have never thrown anyone under the bus and I have always excepted the blame and punishment for my misdoings. SO LET IT BE CLEAR TO ANYONE WHO IS CALLING ME A LIAR, WHAT I KNOW IS THAT EVERY TIME I LOOK IN THE MIRROR I CAN HOLD MY HEAD UP HIGH KNOWING THAT WHAT I DID AND HOW I DID IT WAS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF OTHERS AND MY GOAL WAS TO HELP MY CO-WORKERS AND MY EMPLOYER PROSPER BOTH IN BUSINESS AND ALSO THEIR PERSONAL LIFES. WORKING IN THAT FASHION WAS PROBABLY MY BIGGEST DOWN FALL BECAUSE ALL I SAW HAPPENING WAS OTHERS GETTING IN LINE FOR A PAT ON THE BACK AND THESE SAME PEOPLE WOULD THROW ANYONE EVEN THEIR MOTHERS UNDER THE BUS JUST TO KEEP THEMSELVES OUT OF TROUBLE. SO LIKE I SAID IN LATE JULY WHEN I LEFT AND I WILL STICK TO MY STORY I WISH THE COMPANY AND ALL OF ITS EMPLOYEES THE BEST OF LUCK, I HAVE APOLOGIZED TO EVERYONE WHO WAS AFFECTED BY MY DEPARTURE AND ALL I ASK IS THAT THOSE THAT ARE ACCUSING ME OF DOING THEM WRONG IS THAT THEY TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THEMSELVES AND REALIZE THAT THEY ARE ALL NOT SAINTS AND WE ALL NEED TO GO ON WITH OUR LIVES WITHOUT STICKING ROADBLOCKS IN EACHOTHERS WAYS!!! SINCERLEY ALAN GOLDBERG

• IrishChick May 11, 2011

By the way, you could've easily shortened the complaint by a long haul, way too much repetition.

• IrishChick May 11, 2011