Santander Consumer USAillegal practices and consumer harrassment

H Review updated:

Class action lawsuit... Please go here and join the class action lawsuite that is forming agains santander consumer usa d/b/a drive financial. Every story will help make this company follow legal procedures.

• Ad
    Adam700000000 Aug 18, 2020

I was told by the dealer/salesman that the only way I would get approved for a loan was with santander. THEY even raised the price of the vehicle. At the time, I had "no credit history'" and a 708 score. HE rushed me through the paperwork and I was in my new truck. After several years, I realize that my premium hasn't gone down hardly at all and they still want over 5 thousand dollars. in total, it would be over 40 thousand for a 16 thousand dollar truck. They will never get another penny from me.

• Ta
    Tammy1959 Jun 17, 2020

After making 18 on time payments I called them because the balance on my account wasn't moving. At that time I was told that because I had made some of my payments early it caused some of the payments to be more then 30 days apart (even though I was never past due) so I was charged a higher interest rate. I might as well made late payments! Is this fair business practice? If this is true shouldn't I have been told about this crazy rule of theirs?
    Tammy
    [email protected]

• Ba
    bambi43 Aug 31, 2019

omg i wish i would've seen these complaints ahead of time, these people are scammers. for 3 yrs everything was fine, then out of the blue they said payments weren't giving said i was missing 3 months worth (i used money orders) never thought about making copies of each one. even after i found the stub with the tracking number they then told me i had to have the original( a copy of the whole check) i said how am i suppose to do that when i sent you the money order? I said you can track the check with these numbers, they didn't wanna listen.oh by the way get this the payment they said was missing just happened to be the last payment to pay of the interest(go figure) so than i had to go back and start paying the interest basically all over again, a yr later back at paying that off again and yep you got it same months and everything payment not made or late (so they say) i had the stubs and everything and copies, so get this they went back the previous yr and said i was missing jan, feb, mar payments(they knew i didn't have the copies) i said why has no one i spoke to said that b4 they had excuse after excuse, so i lied and said i had copies of the whole check, next day got a call from someone different and now they used different months. i had already paid so much on the car i just paid again. so now i'm down to my last year to own the car and they wanted me to drop my payments from $286 to $130 a month at first you think that sounds good, don't ever do it, i said i'll get back to you give me a few days, i realized what they were doing is making my payments longer so instead of paying it off in a yr with my regular payments i would've been paying for almost 2yrs taxes and fees they make [censored] sound good and people will usually jump right in without thinking and by the time you realize whats happening it's to late, well i said no and of a sudden payments are late, or missing, they began with the threats to reposes on a daily basis, asking for numbers and addresses to my family, work, friends, i finally just said get the damn car, i'm done, now i still have that on my credit report, and have to finish paying for a car that i don't have. so basically everytime i got down to paying off the interest i went back to paying for 4yrs, last three 2yrs just kept paying same payments over.

• Ba
    B Arnold Aug 22, 2019

Anyone have any information about current lawsuits? Santander repo'd my car on 7/19/19, i got behind after being in the hospital, there was no reasoning with them and when they took my car, it was parked in the lot of a private business, my husband was sitting in the passenger seat looking for something in the glove box when the repo guy jumped in and tried to take off, when my husband got out and told him he couldn't take the car from where it was, the repo guy got out pushed my husband back, jumped back in the car took off again hitting a pole messing up the passenger fender and door and KEPT GOING!
    Would LOVE to get in on this cause we got my car for 17, 000, after financing with these RIP offs we started with a total of 41, 000!
    My email is [email protected]
    Please contact me with any help
    TIA

Comments

• Mi
    Missbarlow Nov 21, 2018

I financed a Mazda cx7 in 2015 I too was consistently harassed for payments as my loan increased called on weekends even got repo had to pay a large amount to get the vehicle back the interest was out Landis and when my car was totaled santander tells me sorry the GAP insurance won't cover anything now I have two repose on my credit and no vehicle please help

• Sp
    sp71292 Aug 16, 2017

Hey everyone. So after santander told me as long as I stayed in contact they wouldn't take the car blah blah they did. Honestly I'm glad it's gone. I was drowning in fees from them. I bought the car in 2015 for 14000 and when they took the car i owed almost 17000. I have since found another car at a really good deal for 500 however I need all the financial help I can get if every one could share my go fund me page that would be greatly appreciated every little donation helps. the car needs alot of small repairs.

Jazmen Williams May 17, 2017

Wow I thought I was alone in this fight against Santandar. I've never experienced such a horrible company. I try my best to stay on top of my account but this company makes it impossible with all its lies and 'no documentation". I dont understand how they can get away with what they do. If there is any help out there, please contact me at [email protected] Please I just want this nightmare to end.

• Sp
    sp71292 Mar 21, 2017

To anyone who feels Santander needs to be brought down,
    Please, we all need to work together to bring this company down. I too made the mistake of signing a contract with this company, they abuse people in need. If we all take a stand together and send this to the Attorney General they can't ignore us. Please send me a message so we can join together against this corrupt company.

• Dj
    djavegas Mar 27, 2017

@sp71292 Hi, I totally agree with you! I reluctantly had to sign an agreement with them 4/15/15 through my dealership due to my poor credit rating...ironically the dealership told me if I made my first 6 mos payments on time I would be able to refinance the loan...HAHA..yeah right, tow years later I'm still paying 23% interest! I contacted Santander after making on time payments for the first year and asked them if they could reduce my interest rate..their reply was we do not due rate reductions..and I needed to find another finance company to handle this request..My question is who's responsible for the interest rate on my loan...it just doesn't appear out of thin air! There answer was I had to keep this rate for the duration of the loan term..they had no control over the rate...No way is this ethical. its downright ILLEGAL! Santander is cashing my checks..so they are the only ones responsible and control all my account activity! Therefore should be able to access my interest rate and help me out..I've done my part, lets be fair!

• Ca
    Carlos C Moore Jul 28, 2016

I have reocurring weekly payments mailed from my bank to Santander and the first 5 was received every Tuesday and posted no problem, now the last 3 payments suddenly takes 9 day, 10 days to posted now. When my bank researched to situation they told me the payments still showed arriving on Tuesdays, but Santander is not listening to that and I see a trend developing and i don't know what to do about it, They wouldn't accept electronic payments other than thur there website and I don't trust that. Does any one know why these people are allowed to handled there customers with total disregards when it one to there money and fairness?

• Dr
    D. RIGGS Jul 14, 2016

SANTANDER has proven themselves over the past 8 months to be a total Predator with no responsibility to respond to customer's written requests.
    The auto loan documents, which were sold to Santander by another Predator, Citi Auto Financial, were entered incorrectly yet SANTANDER will not respond to correction requests.
    As for their customer service personnel, they are the absolute bottom of the barrel. And, they could care less.

Angry Jul 13, 2016

I paid off a loan through Santander in Feb 2011. I bought a new car through Santander around the same time. Despite having made a full payoff Santatnder withdrew another auto payment from my account. When I spoke to the customer service reps they shared it was my fault for not closing the account with my bank. Despite it making no sense I went to my bank and they indicated it was Santander's issue!.

I submitted a formal request for refund and bank documents!. March passes without result:. I file more formal requests and complaints!. No one from the accounting department will speak to me as their payment agents and account reps cannot forward calls into their office/. I continue to make timely payments on my current cars financed through Santander'.

April passes, . I file more complaints. May passess and I file more complaints. In May I speak with an account supervisor who reviews my notes on the account and indicates I should pay the balance between what is owed to me and what I owe for my May payment. I do just as he requested and I ask him to make a formal note on the account indicating this was done at his approval.

It is now June and still no refund, but customer service calls me several times a week to indicate my car payments are delinquent as I did not pay the full payment. I have spoken with no less than 4 supervisors in the last week and they have not been helpful on any level. My accont continues to draw interest and late fees.

This is not an ethical company. I have no recourse working within thier system and cannot charge them interest, but they charge me interest and threaten my credit. I would strongly warn against using this company for financing.

jacueline cruz Jul 13, 2016

I've been having problems with company they call people and tell them that my loan has been approved when i havent even applied for a loan and also tell people that they are private investigators just so they can get in contact with me . they call all hours of the day and night even on the weekend and if you make a payment they still call and harrass you they just dont stop. They dont care if your going through some difficulties, they just keep keep stressing you and you feel that you no way to go to get help.

debdeb56 Jul 13, 2016

we had our initial loan for our new (at the time) car in 2002. It was with GMAC. When i lost my job in 2005 (an i am now on Disability) i refinanced through Triad, which cut our payments, making it a bit easier to make the payment. since all this happened, we fell behind in some bills. Triad was working with us. Without our knowing, Santander apparently bought out Triad. We didn't know unti Debember 09. In Feb of 2010, our car was repossessed. I called, and admitted we had been behind a couple of payments, but that Triad was working with us. Triad said our remaining loan amount was a little over 3, 000 dollars. Santander said that they weren't working with us. After paying almost 2K to get our car back, we were up to date. I have kept immaculate records almost weekly documenting the buy off amounts. It goes UP every single week. There's no reason for it to do that if we are up to date on payments. In fact i pay early, AND over the amount.

For instance, yesterday our buyout was 2795.59 and today it is 2810.78. Some months it jumps up 400 dollars and sometimes it just goes up 10. No Rhyme or reason. Santander never has a reasonn for it, and wont give me a copy of our loan agreement, or our payment history. We were going to pay the car off with Taxes, but now we can't. Can a 14, 000 car loan REALLY take 9 years to pay off? I really want to pay them with 2810 $ in pennies. I have filed a complaint with the BBB in Dallas. With all of these complaints, why isn't anyone doing anything about them? :) thank you.

• Ll
    lladybug1206 Jul 13, 2016

Who do these people think they are? I've told them on several occasions, "do not call this telephone number again". They call the very next day. The auto loan was transfered from Citifinacial to this unknown, unprofessional, poor customer service skills company. The loan is not even in my name. Do they not understand English. I told them that I'm recording this phone conversation and once again, do not call this number. They still continue to call my number. What will it take for them to understand English and not call my telephone number again?

• La
    larry sheffield Jul 13, 2016

i pay my payment by phone and they draw from my bank. called
    and made decembers pymt and they double debit my account 1 for
    $579.31 and another for $583.36. called and was told they only drafted 1 and told me to send a copy of my bank statement showing
    on 12/20/10 they did this. call back to make sure they recieved fax
    and was told yes and was with the dispute team to call back in 2 days
    so i did and was told that they only took 1 pymt out to fax a copy of
    my bank statement HERE WE GO AGAIN! this company is nothing
    but full of frauds, sneeks, and thieves. i wish i would have read about them before this happened!

• So
    soundstar Jul 13, 2016

This is basically what is happening to me. These people are out and out thieves and scoundrels; No other term for it. They lie, stonewall, drag their feet and ask for the same documentation over and over.

• Ai
    airforcewife0216 Jul 13, 2016

This has happened to us along with, oh your payment was rejected you need to make another one- we make one, and they swear they won't try to debit the old payment again and low and behold, they do! Double payment. We have even had where they have said we didn't pay and to send our bank statements, which we did, and they said- oh, that won't work, anyone could make it up or type it. We said call our bank, and gave them the name of the supervisor and gave our bank permission to speak with them. They never called and still insist we are behind. My husbands car is through capital one, oddly enough- NEVER missed a payment or fudged anything up. Plus all our payments (with Santander) go torwards is the interest, not the balance. So we owe 12 grand on a car that the dealership offered 4K for (tried to get out of it just to get rid of these people) we would have to go butt end up to do so. Try calling to make a payment all you get is automation (or set one up, talk to someone, etc) if you do get someone they don't speak english or have a bad attitude. These people are unbelieveable! They have called at crazy hours, like 10 pm or later, even early early (6 or 7 am)!

• Kl
    Klim Jul 13, 2016

Like all of you, I am also a part of the "sell out ~ CitiFinancial". I think that CitiFinancial should have told us long ago what was going on to give us an opportunity to stay or leave. I guess that's the freedom we have in America, huh?

I wasn't even going to call or contact this company after doing research on them, reading all the complaints ~ how they are so rude, how they have extra fees, etc, I said why even deal with them, but I guess my curiosity got the better of me, so I decide to call them to let them know that my September payment was on the way. WHY DID I DO THAT?

The conversation started out ok, but when I told the csr that I wouldn't give her my bank account info and I will send a money order, it was like she started having a bipolar moment. She started yelling and telling me that this company will not wait like Citi did and she's trying to explain to me the situation. While she was ranting all I could do was laugh and say out loud "Lord I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY". She then told me that she was going to get a supervisor on the phone, so hold on, but the next thing I heard was a dial tone, Really? Are you serious? Who in their right mind wants deal with a company or customer service like this? NOT ME.

• Up
    upsetwSantander Jul 13, 2016

This company took three payments via debit w/o any authorization. To make it worse they took them from my parents who are not even on the loan! Talk about illegal!

I called them and they told me I must have done it and forgot! Why would I use my parents bank act (hello, that's fraud) to make three payments?!?!?! I WAS NOT behind. They had no right to do this. My mother had made my Dec payment as a Christmas gift. They were not supposed to keep her info on file. Guess they lied, b/c that is the act that they took three payments from!

These guys are crooks! They have not apologized, replied to my calls or emails, nothing. They just took the money.

UNBELIEVABLE! I have NEVER had any company do this.
    So upset, shocked, and disturbed.

I used to work in corporate finance. I know this is not legal!

• Sd
    Sdwizard1 Jul 13, 2016

I originally had my loan through Drive Financial which was taken over my SAtander. I have paid every month on time for 2 years now. I work full time, am a single parent and enrolled in school this year to try and better my life.

I contacted Satander multiple times to try and alter my payments so that I can afford to still send them the money, make payments to school and still try to raise my daughter. Their customer service agents are beyond rude. They are completely inflexible and will not work with their clients at all.

I just found out they are a debt collection agency and wonder how my loan ever got to this place if I was a good customer and always made my payments.

I have written a letter to the Attorney General and copied in my 2 senators, my state representative, the better business bureau and the President/CEO of Satander. This is ridiculous. I might also send it to the local paper. Not sure if this will get me anywhere but have run out of options at this point.

Sassy2008 Jul 13, 2016

Santander Consumer, USA bought out Citifinancial last year. We had no problem with this company. Ever since Santander took over, it has been nothing but TROUBLE! They have lost payments, mis-posted payments, took moneys out of our checking acct. without authorization along with a $10.95 processing fee, and with all of this said, our vehicle was repoed and we had all of the payments in a file! Let alone we had filed for a remodification back in Nov. of 2010 and they faxed the paper work to us via a friends fax machine b/c they couldn't get it to go through on their end, so therefore we made several trips to our friends house, signed the paper work, faxed it back and was told we were "APPROVED" for the new modification and a payment wouldn't be due until January of 2011 and that it was going to be $325 a month instead of $458. so, we didn't make a payment as we were instructed! Well, it caused us to have our vehicle reposessed and they said they NEVER received the fax back from us! We had to pay a total of $1815.05 and an additional $150.00 to the recovery company in CASH! We paid the amount that we owed and called the recovery company and they too were very rude and told us they were leaving 30 minutes early and it was atleast a 45 min. drive and he said he still had not received the "RELEASE" from Santander. and he told us we would have to pay $75 plus an additional $15 a day even though they were closed on wkends. Well it came a Snow/Ice storm in ATL. on that following Sunday and needless to say we couldn't get to OUR vehicle until the following THURSDAY! We have had it with this company and did exactly what we were told to do by the advice of their staff, Managers!! And still today they tell us that a payment is due Jan. 25th, 2011 instead of Feb. 10, 2011. They also stated that my husband had asked to have the payment date moved at which he did NOT!!! I was sitting here beside him with every conversation to SANTANDER. They too like others did not want to give out any information as far as the President and who or how to contact them! Even the manager's in this place don't know what they are doing! This is terrible. I would NOT recommend this BANK to ANYONE!! This company has caused A LOT of UN-NECESSARY STRESS!!!

• Ab
    AbbaGram Jul 13, 2016

I get a call from them (at work nonetheless when I have repeatedly asked them not to call me at work) telling me I am overdue on payment. I spoke to a rep not 10 days before who said my account was paid up to date. Very arrogant on the phone wanting me to confirm information about the loan when I was trying to work. I made a payment through my bank and the rep said he would mark the account "promise to pay" and if I didn't I could lose the car. Never had a problem with Citifinancial, almost accommodating when payment had to be late because of no $$ coming in (unemployed).

• Ad
    Addie Jun 17, 2016

We agreed to 60 payments to have paid $ 12025.00in amount financed, And a total of $20, 938.80 and after 60 payments have been paid, we would have paid $24, 438.80 including a $3, 500 down-payment. And after we have paid our 60 payments, we had paid $21, 252.89, That's $358.00 over paid at that point, they have made us pay 62 payments so far and that comes to $21, 610.89, that puts us at $672.09 overpaid. They are trying to make us pay an additional $13, 062.36 GOING TO THE LAWYER TOMMOROW.

• Lo
    Lois Jones Mar 20, 2016

Car was repossessed 2+ years ago...now getting repeated harassing phone calls at work and at home all time of the night including Sunday nights after 8 p.m.

Deric Thomas Jan 27, 2016

Please tell me where i can go to join the lawsuit. SATANDER is nothing but a riff off and a scam they just want to get your money. I will never deal with the never ever again in my life. I'ts just sad how they try to take money from people when people are doing the best they can to make sure they get their business situated and santander still wants to scam people . so sad

• Re
    Reviewer52644 Jan 23, 2016

high intrest rate is not moving 19, 000 financed 2 yrs ago still owe 17, 600 currently my credit rate is improved now, Santander refuses to refinance. do not finance a vehicle with these people

Marilyn hupp Dec 24, 2015

made the interest rate and monthly payments high, couldn't afford to pay anymore payments and car was repossessed

Mark Hollie May 27, 2015

Anybody have info on Clss Action Suita against Santander Financial?

Mark Hollie Mar 24, 2015

What about attorneys in Louisiana that are dealing with these guys??

Mark Hollie Mar 24, 2015

How bout an attorney in Louisiana, having the same problem??

• Pa
    pam wilson Mar 24, 2014

I had a car loan through satander this subprime lender. A 2004 dodge durango with high interest rates. The vehicle was repo when i loss my job but before loosing the truck i had already given them 17,928 dollars and the loan was for 18k. They're saying i still owe them 11,000. What steps can i take to get this off my credit?

• Jj
    JJAMES13 Jan 18, 2014

I bought my car from Car max back in October 2012. I recently lost my job and have missed 2 payments. Santander has been in the loop the WHOLE TIME because they call me 4-5 times a day. I have thought about surrendering the vehicle but I am waiting to get my unemployment. I have told them this several times. Today I get a letter in the mail stating that if I do not pay all that is owed on the vehicle by January 25th they would repossess the vehicle. UMMM HELLO if I had that kind of money I would have paid the vehicle off a long time ago. When I get my unemployment, I plan on paying off what I owe but there is NO WAY that I can come up with over $17000.

• 09
    09CivicCoupe Nov 18, 2013

I have had a loan with Santander for only 9 moths but so glad to be done with them. I traded in my car and paid my loan off in full.

This was on the 18th of the month and my next payment was due on the 31st. I had set up my bank to make an Auto Payment each month on the 31 to pay my loan and had forgot to cancel this auto payment. I called both my bank and Santander in hopes to refund the payment immediately. My bank had already shipped the payment so there was nothing they could do for me. When I called Santander and explained that the account was paid in full and that I had over paid by $369.00 they told me there was nothing they could do and I would have to wait for up to 24 business days.

This is unheard of- an electric payment I do not see how it makes sense to have to wait this long. I finally got a hold of a REAL PERSON after spending 30 to 40 min on the phone.

( YOU CAN REACH A REAL PERSON AT [protected]) in the office of the president.

I was promised by a man in the office that I would receive my payment back on Friday November 14th, 2013. I called on Friday and was told that the payment had been okayed- but it may take until Monday 11/18/13 to be put back into my account. Today I called, (11/18/13) and I was told it would take 3-5 business days to get my refund after I was promised payment in full by the 15th.

So unprofessional. If you cannot do something or you do not know, don't promise anything at all.

• Je
    Jennifer dobbins Apr 05, 2013

I have been searching to find a lawsuit against Santander. If anyone know please let me know. I purchased a car and it showed my payoff as right under 13, 000. I have been paying on it for 2 yrs and my payoff now is a little over 12, 500. I get charged late fees and other interest charges. When I talk to a rep about setting up the payment to come out of my account on a certain date, it never does and they add more charges in me and say that nothing shows up that I called and spoke with a rep.

• Wh
    What A Beating Jan 09, 2013

These people are crooks!! I had a $17, 000 loan 4 years ago. My payoff today is $15, 00 and my payments are $450 per month. They are also telling me I am 48 days past due and cannot show me where I have missed a payment!!! Maybe it's because I have never missed a payment!!! I have a payment history and from March to November the balance never changed after every payment was made!! I want in on this lawsuit because they are ruining my credit!! They also promised me they would take care of the late payments on the credit report and never did!!! Please let me know what to do. I kn ow I'm getting an attorney!!

JanetBarnes Jun 29, 2012

We have had nothing but problems with Santander since they bought our loan from Flagship. They lost all of our paperwork and insisted we send them all of our documentation for the vehicle or they would reposes it, All of they "customer service" reps should be called ignorance reps.. They are horrible to speak with. They scream at you on the phone and hang up on you. They give you the run around and transfer you to the Spanish speaking only line. It is a complete nightmare! The fees they charge us were never agreed upon when we were approved a loan from Flagship. How can they just change policies without new documentation? This company is horrible. They have been break federal laws when trying to contact us. They have been changing caller ID to family members names and get this our own phone number that they are calling. I am so done with this company. They don't allow us to refinance for a lower interest rate. They tell us there is nothing they can do for our loan. But one rep that was actually nice told us there is a lot the company has that can help us out. They just don' t so that they can profit more. I am fed up and there needs to be attention brought to this so called company. They are more scam arrests than a functioning company. I would gladly jump aboard a class action suit to shut down Santander.

Delon Tyson Jun 12, 2012

When i got my 2007 hyundai it was around 18000 i been paying on my car for 5 years and i still own 13000 what is wrong with that picture. At that rate i would never get that car paid for santander is stealing my money. I am going to let them have that car back they are crooks.

• Do
    Do You Feek Luckey Apr 25, 2012

I am interested in filing a lawsuit against Santander Consumer U.S.A. I had to file complaint with A.G. in Texas in order to get the calls to stop. Called home five to seven times daily. When they contacted family members, that was last straw. I still can figure out where all the payments are going. I go online and can't even get any amounts since last statement. Just keep making payments. I think that we need to file a lawsuit. If any attorney is willing to take on this case. [email protected]

• Ke
    ken and felicia Mar 26, 2012

am so feed up with santander they took over my loan from another loan company who sold this company my loan with out me knowing this santander company have called everyone who i put down for reference and gave out all of my privacy called my job numerous of times towed my car and damage my vehicle told me about the damage after i came to pick up my car from 6 hours away from home towed my car out the auction on a wrecker truck and told me i had a busted oil pan and they did not know what happen to my car but was willing to tow it to a repair shop i called santander and they told me i need to get and touch with the auction they had nothing to do with this but charge me 400 dollars for repo and 150 dollars for storage fees it took 1 month for me to get and touch with towing company after towing company santander told me my loan would be and the office of the president to the situation was resolve and i would not get any phone call that was a lie i am just feed up with these company there just a much of crooks

• Me
    Meezz Mar 19, 2012

I agree this company is a big rip off. I financed my car for 6 years with another company and then santander took over the loan. Now I look at my balance it's barely dropped. I have had a few deferrments done over the 6 year period for a total of 6. So now Im thinking all I have to do is pay 6 months extra of payments or 7 at the most. How about this company tells me I will still have to pay off 3, 000 plus dollars in interest charged. I was pissed and told them that was not correct. There is no way Im paying 354.00 on this car for another 12 months or so. The car has almost 200, 000 miles on it. They are the biggest crooks ever. I have had other car loans in the past and have deffered a payment or two and have paid it off as I should. I hope they get what they deserve