Sahalie Rewards Programscammed by sahalie rewards program

I purchased items from Sahalie in the past. Recently, my husband, who pays on our credit cards, discovered that the Bank Card, used for Sahalie purchases has been charged a regular monthly fee of $14.95 for the Sahalie Rewards Program, which I have never used. I did not authorized this bank charge and am pursuing reimbursement. I see there are others writing online about their negative experience and that people are lodging this same complaint. I called Sahalie. The customer service representative said she did not have any information to give me, but told me to call the rewards program phone number: [protected] M-F ET between 9:00am and 9:00pm.

Cris Bisch Oct 20, 2008

Follow-up to my complaint above: Sahalie's customer service was unable to help me and suggested I call the Rewards toll free number to resolve my complaint. See the result of my phone call below in my follow-up email to Sahalie/Norm Thompson customer service representative's email:

Thank you for contacting Sahalie.

We do not administer the Rewards program; we only offer our
    customers the opportunity to take advantage of the membership. For
    any further questions about your membership and the benefits of the
    Sahalie Rewards Program, please contact the program?s customer
    service at 1-888-528-7245. This is a toll free number and business
    hours are 9 AM to 5 PM ET, Monday through Friday.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have been caused.

In response:

"Thank you for your response. I do appreciate hearing from you. However, it's unfortunate that Sahalie's (Norm Thompson's) customer service department does not mediate communication between your customers and your affiliate program, Sahalie Rewards. I was able to speak with a Sahalie Rewards representative's supervisor this morning (10/20/08). I was on the phone for 15-minutes, but after hearing my complaint in full, they agreed to cancel my Sahalie Rewards membership and are sending me a full refund of monthly charges of $14.95/month dating back to October 2007. I am expecting a full refund check within 7-10 days. As a community developer and marketing consultant, I would like to comment further that I thing your rewards program is backfiring and you are loosing valued customers because of it. I discovered over the weekend that there are postings on the internet of Sahalie customers reporting the Sahalie Rewards program as a scam (ex. /link removed/ and complainstboard.com). You have lost my business because of this "inconvenience", so I wish to be removed from your mailing list. Thank you."

Cris Bisch Oct 20, 2008

Here is the outcome of lodging my complaint with Sahalie Rewards: Below is my follow-up email response to the following Sahalie/Norm Thompson's 2nd customer service email:

Thank you for contacting Sahalie.

We do not administer the Rewards program; we only offer our
    customers the opportunity to take advantage of the membership. For
    any further questions about your membership and the benefits of the
    Sahalie Rewards Program, please contact the program?s customer
    service at 1-888-528-7245. This is a toll free number and business
    hours are 9 AM to 5 PM ET, Monday through Friday.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have been caused.

My reply to Sahalie customer service department, which includes the outcome of my phone conversations with Sahalie Rewards representative and supervisors:

"Thank you for your response. I do appreciate hearing from you. However, it's unfortunate that Sahalie's (Norm Thompson's) customer service department does not mediate communication between your customers and your affiliate program, Sahalie Rewards. I was able to speak with a rewards representative's supervisor this morning. I was on the phone for 15-minutes, but after hearing my complaint in full, they agreed to cancel my rewards membership and are sending me a full refund of monthly charges of $14.95/month dating back to October 2007. Working as a community developer and in marketing, I would like to comment that I think your rewards program is backfiring and you are loosing valued customers because of it. I discovered over the weekend that there are postings on the internet of Sahalie customers reporting the Sahalie rewards program as a scam (see /link removed/ and complainstboard.com for starters). You have lost my business because of this "inconvenience", so please take me off your Sahalie catalog mailing list. Thank you."

• Un
    Unhappy Ex-Customer Oct 25, 2008

It is obvious from other reports that Sahalie must be fully knowledgable and complicit in this utter ripoff program. I had the same experience and fortunately the Rewards Pgm people refunded the $30 they had stolen from me before I noticed. I will of course never do business with Sahalie again and urge that others do the same. But I guess they think they can earn more by theft than honest business.

angry Nov 10, 2008

I thought I was too smart to be fooled by a scam as blatant as Sahalie Rewards. I've learned otherwise and will be on the phone seeking reimbursement at the first opportunity. I've bought from both Sahalie and Norm Thompson in the past. Never again!

• Ca
    Carm Nov 11, 2008

I was also scammed by Norm Thompson after purchasing a raincoat for $199.00. When I opened my VISA bill today there was that charge plus another charge to Norm Thompson for $1.95.
    Petty though it may be, I knew I didn't buy anything else. In doing my research I found others who had been scammed by this ENCORE REWARDS PROGRAM of theirs. Apparently, as you are checking out and giving your credit card number, they ask if you would like a $20 discount on future purchases. I don't really remember clicking, but must have...however, I definitely DID NOT SEE A CONTRACT saying I would have to pay $14.95 per month thereafter on my charge card. Automatically put on. The nerve. I emailed Norm Thompson and the customer service rep said they did not administer these rewards and gave me a number to call. The number, after waiting for ten minutes, was their own number and I had just gone full circle back to Norm Thompson. The gal then gave me the correct number which is the following: 888-613-7767. I then called Encore direct and she told me they were a Marketing Company and I could get discounts on travel, etc.
    I told her to take off my $1.95 and all subsequent $14.95 from my credit card as I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS AND IT WAS A SCAM. I am really shocked that Norm Thompson would pull something like this. I realize times are hard, but this is really stooping low. I hope they read this.

josh Nov 18, 2008

i asked for the $14.95 a month to be cancelled and a refund issued. They said it would be cancelled, but not a refund and hung up on me. I called back and the most abnoxious woman answered, denying that someone hung up on me and tried telling me that I was at fault for not unchecking the box that got me involved in this absurd scam. After calling me honey over and over she finally gave in when I lost my cool and said I would get two $14.95 credits back. we'll see what happens. Definitly never ever ordering from them again.

• Up
    Upset at Sahalie Dec 02, 2008

Thank goodness for these websites. I just got a "Reward" catalog from Sahalie and had not signed up for it. I called the rewards program and Sahalie. Both representatives were polite and removed me from the program. I had already been charged $1.95 which is to be refunded. If I hadn't looked up the program I would not have gotten on this so quickly. I told them I was very disappointed in their company.

• Vo
    VocalCustomerInGeorgia Dec 29, 2008

I ordered my wife a Christmas present on the 12th of December, 2008 and still have not yet received it! I was charged $8 in shipping and have no indication that it will ever get here. After reading all the other complaints, I decided to find the only way to a person (since the Customer Service lines are hot and heavy with customers like me) so I pressed "1" for placing a new order and jumped onto the sales rep. Almost got a supervisor but they were all on other calls (big surprise) so I will go for the nuclear option and do a charge back. They asked me to wait 24 hours for a return call so I will give them that much but we all need to stand up to this kind of arrogance with a big ole CHARGE BACK!

Horrible customer service with over priced merchandise that may or may not even get to your door (well passed any normal amount of time). I would not order from these people again!!!

Stay Away!!!

• St
    StopScammers Feb 10, 2009

I was scanning my credit card bill and noticed 3 months of Sahalie Rewards charges of $14.95 per month. My wife never (knowingly) signed up for this Rewards program!
    Called Sahalie Customer Support. Like others, I was referred to 888.528.7245. I'll have to call tomorrow to try to get refunds.

This is not the first scam from Sahalie / Norm Thompson. Last month, they sent an email in which they tried to get my wife to sign up for $119 per annum CompleteHome membership. I was so mad about that but Sahalie never responded to any of my emails.

Anderson Feb 22, 2009

I feel the same about this issue.
    I found that I have been billed for two months and now have to wait till tomorrow to call and see that they fix the problem.
    I hope it goes smoothly, but I will never order from Sahalie again and will tell everyone I know that this is not a company to deal with. I think that Sahalie needs to sever ties with the rewards company or they will need a bailout.

crobinson Mar 23, 2009

My experience with Sahalie and their "rewards program" is exactly like all those above. I never sign up for such programs and find it very hard to believe that I would have enrolled in this one.
    I called Encore Marketing and was readily promised a refund.
    I will not buy from Sahalie again.

• La
    labrklyn Apr 19, 2009

Wow! Thank goodness for this website. I just found the charges on my credit card tonight. I am outraged and am calling in the morning to demand a refund. It was helpful to know that others have been through this. I am never buying from Sahalie again. Such bad business practice.

• Pe
    Peggy Apr 22, 2009

I just disputed charges by Sahalie with my credit card company and have been "promised" a full refund of all reward program charges. I'm glad I found this website to back up my complaint. My credit card rep went to this web site as we were conferenced called to Sahalie. I had already been bombarded with e-mails even after unsubsribing and had to call about that. I will never buy from them again. This is true scamming at its best. I think my next letter will be to the Better Business Bureau.

• Jd
    JD New Mexico Apr 24, 2009

I simply want to add my voice here to let people know how many of us got taken in by this. I have cancelled my "membership" with Encore Marketing, will not get a refund for the $60+ charges on my AmEx, and will never order from Sahalie or Norm Thompson again, which makes me sad, as I was a longtime customer. I have cancelled both catalogs and lodged my complaint with them. I feel stupid for not realizing it immediately or sooner than I did, but I had ordered so much from them for such a long time that it never occurred to me that something like this could happen. How can they afford to alienate loyal customers in this economy? Shame on them.

Marge May 08, 2009

Found two recent Sahalie charges for 14.95 on my credit card. Called 1-888-528-7245 and finally they agreed to refund these two but not three previous charges. Said I agreed to this. Not so! Bunch of crooks. Beware of any Sahalie Rewards or Norm Thompson purchases. Marge

Mary Ellen Iapicco May 18, 2009

I also have been charged since November 29, 2007. I was told I would only be reimbursed for the past 6 months. They were not helpful, would not listen that this is a scam & told me I also signed up for this when I didn't. Will contact the fraud department again at my credit card to inform them of this scam. Shame, shame shame!

• Za
    Zap Jun 02, 2009

Just got off the phone with them & was promised a full refund for the 4 payments they charged me. They were cooperative and friendly. NOW, let's see if I get the $ in the "7-10 days" the have promised.

• Vo
    voracious Jul 24, 2009

Oh. My. Gosh. I cannot believe this. I just noticed the $14.95 charge on my credit card statement. I called to cancel and found out that I had been charged from October 2008. The claim was exactly as stated above, that I had agreed to this when there is no way I would have agreed to some stupid thing like this. My bad for not noticing the charge on my statement for so many months but I cannot believe this. I have always loved that company and the products they sell. I will never buy from those thieves again. Never.

They finally agreed to refund 6 months worth of charges but these guys stole $60 from me. That is three butterfleece zip-Ts I could have had. Instead I will badmouth this company every chance I get.

• Sh
    ShoK08 Aug 13, 2009

I ordered several items on December 8th for Christmas stocking stuffers. They were all listed in stock at the time. It is now January 17th and the items have still not arrived. I called about a week before Christmas and was told that the items were in the mailroom and I would get them in time. Hmmm. My credit card has been charged and the latest email said I would receive some of the items on January 15th. Still no merchandise. Don't order from Sahalie unless you want complete disappointment.

• Cj
    cjharm Sep 11, 2009

oh my god, I saw that my account of Sahalie Rewards charged me $14.95 for second times. I did cancel it but still charge me again. I wanted to remove it now and avoid to use my credit card. That is shame to thief on my money.

• Rj
    rj shelton Jan 22, 2010

Oh, I am so mad. I ordered stuff too, for Christmas. I was checking my bank account last night and saw a 14.95 charge deducted from 'MY' account also, from Sahalie Rewards. This is a SCAM. I am going to report it as a scam! I guess somebody is making a fortune, 14.95 at a time!

• Bl
    Blipole Jan 25, 2010

We ordered the first week of December; I called to see when it would come after an adequate shipping time as per their claims; it had not been shipped. They said they would upgrade and sent an e-mail to me saying it was upgraded and would arrive so I could repack and reship it for a gift. It is Dec. 26 and it has not arrived. Their call center said call later on three days--they have too many calls to take more!! Worst of all, they provided a link that implies that FedEx and USPS had the items in our town. FedEx said that they only had the electronic notifications in our town, not the package itself!!! FedEx said the item was not shipped. But the Sahalie link to a website implies that the USPS has the packages when in fact FedEx told me that they have not been actually shipped. It seems like a way to blame two other companies when in fact their company has not shipped and the information is in my view very misleading. We know they are not at the USPS in our town for the last 10 days (as the website link implies) because a relative works there and looked for them and clarified that they don't do the shipping numbers in the way Sahalie implied to me that they do. So when today FedEx said that the list of places the packages is supposed to have gone to before coming to our town is just electronic notification of intent to ship via FedEx and USPS--well that is kind of confusing and not of much interest to us when we await a package that does not seem to have been shipped at all. We are interested in getting the item for a gift and offered to pay Sahalie for the upgrade and were told we had the upgrade--and that it had been shipped. Instead they only electronically informed everyone it was intended to be shipped!! Misleading, huh? I think so. I think it kind of makes their shipping problem seem like a USPS or FedEx delay when it is a Sahalie delay. And I perceive it as a lie, actually, that impugns two good companies. FedEx says they don't investigate shipping issues of this kind--because they are not the USPS. I think it is worth it to ship USPS then but we were not given that option. Yuk Sahalie. We are cancelling our order. HOpe that goes well. Anyway, whoever does their shipping and communication need to get together; and they need to make accurate promises and not use links to foist blame onto the USPS or FedEx. And they need to have enough people to respond to their call volume instead of asking us over and over to call some other time with problems.

• Uk
    Ukrev Feb 02, 2010

• Su
    suckker Feb 20, 2010

I fell subject to the same shenanigans after purchasing a Christmas gift for my wife. $14.95 withdrawn from the card I used to make the purchase 3 times now! (I realized after the second time and forgot to call for a month...oops). This was a sneaky one...usually I catch/avoid these scams.

• Me
    Melep Mar 08, 2010

Shame on Norm Thompson and Sahalie for this. Thank goodness I noticed the withdrawal from my bank account. This is not a reward but a fraud!! The service rep I dealt with was polite and courteous and I was assured my account had been credited the $14.95. I sure hope so.

• Pk
    pkerr Mar 08, 2010

I, too, thought I was smarter than this. I discovered $14.95 being taken from my credit card monthly for at least 6 months now. I know I never signed up for anything that would be that expensive!! I called Sahalie, who first told me to look at my credit statement for the number to call Sahalie rewards. I told her I didn't have it with me - you would think with as many people complaining about this, they would be glad to give you any information you needed. I got the 888 number from her and called. Talked to Michelle who told me there would be no more charges taken from my account. I think I will call back and ask for all the back money.

• Na
    Nancy from PA Oct 12, 2010

Shame on Shahalie ! I was scammed by the deceptive practice as mentioned above. They offered re-embursement after talking with 3 different people from the awards program. Shame on me for not reading and scrutinizing every line of their deceptive program offer and shame on me even more for not catching the deductions from my credit account; shame on them for what all of us had done to us...too bad Shahie (Norm Thompson) I am done with this bologna!

Nancy

• M1
    M1P Oct 26, 2010

I was remiss downloading my on line credit card statement. So after I paid off my credit card "for Good" my next statement has this $14.95 charge, so I investigated, only to find I have been charged this amount monthly since Jan 2010, shortly after I purchase a Christmas gift for my wife from Sahalie. I have been charged $14.95 a month (twice in July) since then, for a total of $134.55. Sahalie may not know of this scam but I am guessing they do. This is stealing!

• Jl
    J.Lawson Nov 13, 2010

Unfortunately, the same happened to me, just ordering a few things for christmas last year. I don't look at my statements online and they have stolen quite a bit from me also. I looked at a most recent catalog and did not find ANYTHING about their rewards program in the catalog. Wonder if they have figured out they have lost too many customers.
    jlawson

• Fo
    fox02554 Nov 23, 2010

They got me too, thank you for the phone number, I call it first and canceled the " rewards" program. Then called Sahalie to file a complaint. They would not give me the above number when I asked, and denied all involvement " The rewards program" was handled by an outside company.

ken5366 Nov 25, 2010

I was able to get a full refund.
    Last Christmas, I purchased a gift for a friend, who had items from Sahalie on her wish list. Like others who commented, I thought I was too smart to be drawn into a scam like this. Based on the generous comments, I didn't bother going to Sahalie and instead called the phone number on their web site after search for "rewards, " the number I called was 888-354-6341, which was different than the number listed on my credit card statement. Since last Christmas, the $14.95 per month totaled a massive $136.50! Of course, I kicked myself for not noticing this on my statements for 9 months.
    The process required 2-1/2 levels of "escalation." I was very courteous throughout, and even complementary to how they were treating me. I told the first representative that I did not recall signing up and did not get any benefit for this program, so I wanted a refund. She sweetly said she would help me and needed to look up my account. She then explain that I had entered my email address and this was my digital signature that I agreed to the terms and conditions of the agreement. I again explained that I did not want to be in this program and have not received any benefits from it.
    She sweetly offered to cancel my "membership" and offered to refund two (of the nine) months, and asked if this was okay. I politely said no. She said she could then transfer me to Customer Affairs, if I wouldn't mind being on hold. I was on hold for less than a minute.
    The next representative had the power to refund six months. I politely said I would like a full refund. He said he needed to get a manager's approval for this, and would I mind if he put me on hold. Sure, I replied. Less than a minute later, he said he got approval.
    I have yet to see the refund actually appear on my credit card, but it seemed legitimate, so I'm posting now. I hope others can go through the process and get a full refund.
    I will not buy from Sahalie again. I agree they are complicit what I consider is a same. $15 per month for a "rewards" program. Sigh.
    Read this very insightful write-up from an insider. Sahalie, you are bad. /URL removed/

• Jt
    jturpin Nov 26, 2010

This is a huge SCAM and Sahalie is involved! I must had agreed to sign up for a Sahalie Rewards - which I do not remember saying yes. But I bought some gifts for my kids in Dec 2009 from Sahalie and since then a charge of 14.95 has been billed to my card. Yes, I should have checked my card charges more but my husband's job was to check my charges and he does without questioning too much! Well I was looking over my last charge and notice a reward charge of 14.95 and called the number listed to question the charge. (8885287245) talked to several people who knew very well what was going on and had a detailed line to read back to me. I called Sahalie and they said they had no idea what this was because I had signed up for it! yeah right!
    Please be AWARE OF SAHALIE!!!

ken5366 Dec 23, 2010

A follow up. Just three days later, my next credit card statement reported refunds of all nine months--a total of $134.55. In the end, the only thing I wasn't refunded was the initial $1.95, and I knew that at the time. Once they had agreed to refund all nine months, I didn't quibble on the $1.95. I got the big money back; that's what I most cared about.

• Ta
    taken125 May 13, 2011

My husband just asked me what was going on with charges from Sahalie to our credit card. I bought some items in 7/10. I was suddenly charged $1.95 and then $14.95 a month thereafter. I NEVER agree to these kinds of things as I only buy things occasionally. The phone number 888-528-7245 got me to someone who was not in the U.S. and he proceeded to say that I agreed to this "rewards" program that includes big discounts including travel. Why would I do that when we just rent lake cottages in our area. They would not refund anything except this month's billing. Where can I lodge a complaint?

ken5366 May 14, 2011

Yes, this is a terrible scam. They got me, too, I was able to get 99% of my money back. Please read *both* of my posts above (ken5366). Maybe my posts will help you. The 888-354-6341 number that I used back then still worked for me just now. My only additional suggestion is that if at first you don't success, call again; maybe another representative will be more helpful. Persistence pays off. I wish you luck.
    --By the way, I see that URL at the end of my first post was removed. I still think the insider's write-up is valuable, so here's another way to access it. Go to [redacted]'s wet site, and search for "Orchard Brands". I think you will only get one hit, with the strange title, "Orchard Brands / Blair Corporation / Encore Marketing International, solutions, sahalie, norm thompson, gold violin, membership program, rewards, classic living, Internet." It will confirm you fears of what a rip-off Sahalie's "rewards" program is.

• Su
    Suanna Jun 13, 2011

I was also scammed. I did sign up for the reward program by giving my email address, but I did not authorize charges to my credit card for the rewards program, which were $1.95 and $14.95. I called to cancel and ask for a refund on the charges. The customer service representative said they would credit the $14.95 but not the $1.95 processing fee and told me I agreed to the conditions of the rewards program when I signed up for it. I told him I did not give them a credit card number on which they could charge the fees, so they must have gotten my credit card number from Sahalie. After telling him this, he agreed to credit the $1.95. If you are planning on calling to get reimbursed, make sure to let them know you did not give them a credit card number authorizing their charges.

• Mo
    Mom23boys3 Aug 20, 2011

I have also been billed 14.95 (monthly!) for something I never signed up for. I've called and CAN'T get them to remove the charges and give me back my money. Is this a SCAM?

• Dr
    dr jeff Sep 27, 2011

I just discovered the same thing. We bought something from Solutions, and if you put in your e-mail for some E-newletter they don't tell you
    it is a rewards club for 14.95 a month. I was charged for 10 months before I realized (shame on me). I got all my money back and I will tell how.
    I called my credit card company (chase-visa) and told them I had fraud charges, they transerred me to the fraud departent (don"t mention you know anything) they called NTO sahalie rewareds number and stayed on the phone and listened. I was put through to someone in India, who offered to cancel my membership and give me a credit for $29.oo. I said "the only acceptable solution is crediting me all the money, if you are not able to do this then transfer me to someone who can" I was transferred, the second person was crediting $59.00. I told them this was fraud and I was sure that her entire day was spent fielding these calls and that she should skip all the "i am sorry you are not happy with our service" and credit me all my money or I would be contacting the state attorney general to report fraudulent business practices. At this point, my Visa consultant let them know that she was on the line and that it was obviously an unintential membersip and then they quickly refunded all my money. I would advise using your credit card company to act on your behalf. Hope others can have my success

• Ho
    HoJoV Nov 04, 2011

I just got the same charge and found this number to deal with it: I called and was connected with "membership services, " who took my name, address and phone number and said that I would not see any further charges. 1-888-354-6341. After that I went to Sahalie's website and wrote them a scathing email about thier deceptive practices. At the very least, it made me feel a whole lot better about the situation. I will NEVER do business with that company again.

• Co
    COhiker Nov 17, 2011

I, too, was scammed by the 'Rewards' program not quite a year ago. I caught the 14.95 charge immediately and the company refunded the 14.95. The first person in customer service I spoke with regarding this scam charge was belligerent and discourteous. After asking to speak with a supervisor, I was transferred to someone else who took care of the charge. Knowing I would NEVER want to do business with this sort of company, I called back to request customer service remove my name from the catalogue mailing list. That was approximately a year ago and it has never happened. I still receive these unwanted catalogues. I called again on 11/16/11 to request my name be removed. The customer service agent I spoke with was again defensive and rude. As a consumer, I have a right to request I not receive their mailings. It is also disconcerting to see that all of the same problems are still going on. I will continue to voice my opinions about this disreputable company. I am tired of these greed based scams by companies who do not care about their consumers! My dollars are very hard to come by these days and I am tired of greedy companies.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices