Rio Grande Valley Land Roverdeceptive sales!

In July of 2007, I purchased a 2007 Land Rover LR3 from the Rio Grande Valley Land Rover dealership in McAllen, Texas. The entire purchase price of the vehicle is over $60,000. During the course of the sale, I discussed the tow capability with the salesman. I specifically asked about a receiver hitch and was told “It all comes together with this package.” We spoke at length as to why I needed the hitch and what my plans were. At a sticker price of that amount, I had no reason to think otherwise.

6 months later as I am preparing for a Christmas trip, I purchase an after- market basket to place on the rear of the LR3. When I go to install the basket, the hitch requires and tow ball adapter. I look all through the vehicle and cannot find the adapter. I call the Land Rover dealership in Houston, drive to pick up my part and am told “That will be $351 dollars”.

Thinking this must be a mistake, I call the Rio Grande Valley Land rover dealership and speak with the salesman who sold me the vehicle and receive apologies and an offer for a possible “employee discount”.

I call and speak to the sales manager on duty. He advises me that I am out of luck, sorry for the inconvenience, but I will have to pay like anyone else. I tell him that it was not my misunderstanding; I was given incorrect answers when I asked about the package. The answer: “That’s too bad, we are very sorry.” In the end, management of Land Rover of the Rio Grande Valley discerns that it is okay to alienate a potential bi-annual $60,000-$70,000 customer over a $350 part that was their mistake in the first place.

I have purchased several luxury, high-end vehicles over the years, including Lexus and BMW. I have had similar situations, but the other dealers stood by their promises and understood customer service and repeat business practices. My mistake? Buying a vehicle from Land Rover of the Rio Grande Valley. I assumed that I was dealing with a business that understood customer service a bit better than “Joe Schmo’s used car lot”.

I was wrong. I will not make the same mistake twice.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices