Redboxquestionable business practices!

L

You may have noticed large red DVD rental kiosks in your local supermarket installed by a company called "RedBox." I was so excited as it seemed so convenient to rent a DVD this way, and it was "only" .99 per night. However, I've now paid the same price I'd pay at Blockbuster video for a new release, and I have not had any response to my request for assistance from RedBox (via their website OR their toll free number).

When I went to return the DVD the following day, their kiosk was down, which means you have NO WAY TO RETURN THE DVD, AND CHARGES CONTINUE TO ACCRUE TO YOUR CREDIT CARD THAT YOU SWIPED TO RENT IT. When I phoned them from the kiosk as instructed (using my cell phone which has a pay-as-you-go plan) I was on hold for 15-16 minutes, and repeatedly encouraged by a computer voice to leave a voicemail message for them, and that they would return the message in 24 hours. We are going on 120 hours, and counting...

So I sent them e-mails over the weekend requesting assistance. No response to those, either. And my card continues to be charged... DO NOT RENT A DVD FROM REDBOX! It is a consumer protection nightmare because you can't get a live person to help you. Just walk over to your nearest video rental store and rent your movies the old fashioned way.

• De
    Denise Rose Jan 08, 2020

Every month for pass 6 mths redbox charges unauthorized charges to my card I want it to stop and I want all my money refunded...

• Dh
    Dhy Oct 01, 2019

Redbox hope y'all go out of business wait u want cause u take money from people for not Damn reason and nobody can do anything about it 🖕

• Ki
    KingMike Sep 28, 2019

I been charge 31 dollar's for a movie That i didn't get and i want my money put back on my Card

• Br
    Brian McLane Nov 15, 2018

Redbox charged me $17.66 for returning a movie 10 days late, but I returned it the day after I watched it. No more Redbox movies for me - got no satisfaction from the company.

• Dk
    Dkoda Nov 12, 2018

I go to rent a couple movies new years day 2017. I pick Bad Moms, Suicide Squad and Magnificent 7. It gives me my 3 cases and I get in my 18 wheeler and head on. Well I stop for the night and wanna chill and watch a movie. It gave me 2 bad moms and a freaking cartoon movie. U have no idea how pissd I was and there customer service is closed

• VoldemortsMudblood Nov 12, 2018

I rented a movie yesterday and it started skipping about 30 minutes in.
    Tried taking it out and cleaning it, but it did not cease skipping.
    No, in fact, it skipped over half of the movie and now I'm starring at a frozen, unmoving screen.
    Lovely.

Ps. It's scratched af

• Em
    Emerica May 21, 2013

Hello, Im writing to you also to let you know that Redbox is a rip off... I was charged $29.00 for a 2 dvd 1 game that I rented in Dec.7, 2012 and they are saying that I never rented the game that is why they are charging me the partial amount of the game.. I spoke to a customer service named Suriya or whatever her name was...I told her why are you over charging me for the game which she said it was a partial payment for the game I didn't return, when my brother already had rented it to the Redbox machine...She also said I still have a balance of $45.06 and I told her why are you charging me again when u already took my $29.00 on my credit card. So my brother had spoke to her over the phone and told her the same thing... She is saying that the game was never returned.. He then ask to speak to a supervisor but she never did... So I am cancelling my account to this RIP OFF company whom I trusted and they are over charging me for a game that was already returned to them... I had to call my credit card company to dispute this matter... However, Redbox should reimburst me for the money they took on my credit card...I am so very disappointed on their action on this matter.. So I have cancelled my account with them, however, I still want my money they took from me... So please help me on this dispute about Redbox !!!

• Sc
    scammed by redbox Oct 23, 2012

I was a Redbox customer for a whole two days! And would have continued renting dvds from them if not for the unfortunate experiences I have had with them in those two days. At first, when I tried returning the three movies I had rented well within the 24 hour limit, the kiosk broke down during the return and one of the two movies got stuck in the slot! The first one seemed to go in the slot okay but not the second one... When I called to notify them of the situation, they assured me that my account would be noted, the kiosk would be repaired soon and I would not be charged late fees or anything else for the two movies I tried returning. I returned the last movie to another kiosk that afternoon. I was given a call id# to use when I called again to check on the status of my account. I have spoken with several reps since then and have received different info from all. This evening I discovered that though I had received an email noting the return of the movies, my bank account states that they charged my account twice the amount due for the rentals! When I called them again, they simply said it was a "pre-authorization" fee...which was not stated in the rental terms...at least the ones I read online! So I have had to close my account with them and my bank account so they cannot withdraw any further funds from my account. What a rip-off company!

Cheated in Reno Mar 01, 2012

Rented two videos from Redbox, the machine took my credit card number, zip code, and email. The machine NEVER dispensed either movie. I called the 800 number on the machine. After 30 min in the night cold and snow, the customer service rep was an IDIOT who put me on hold multiple times, said I had "reserved the movies on line" (I had not), and I still worry the REDBOX will charge me for not returning movies I never received. He also said the time this mess took was "not his problem". WOW...DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER GUYS!!!

• So
    Soonermom Nov 25, 2011

Well, clearly you would not be charged for a movie you returned on time, people want to talk bad about a company just to get anger out. People no one can use your credit card without your zip code and if you do return it on time you only get charged for one night. You have to be 18 to use the kiosk so stop having your kids return or rent movies and be adults about the situation.

• As
    asilkybush May 09, 2011

my dvd was scratched one time, so i had called in to talk to a rep from redbox, and i believe his name was Dustin... mmmmm dustin... well anyways. he helped me like im sure all other agents have done, its a pretty common problem he said, and that even if you to lie about it, and they knew you were.. theyd give it to you anyways if you hadnt called in to many times. They are pretty nice there, especially that Dustin guy, MMMMmmMmmMMmMMmm

• Pr
    proudtexan May 07, 2011

Don't you all check your bank accounts? RedBox has never over charged me and I use them all of the time. One time my sister in law got overcharged and a quick phone call had it all cleared up right away. Ya'll just lazy and don't call and then complain when they take your money. Wow... whine whine whine!

• Ca
    Cat1031 Apr 18, 2011

Yea it happens sometime. They can't check every CD everytime one is returned. Call RedBox and they will either refund your money or offer you some free rentals. I hope you are kidding with actually putting this on a complaint board.

• Am
    amandalee Apr 18, 2011

It's redbox...what do u expect?!?simple smh

• Re
    Redbox Apr 18, 2011

DVD is. Scratched!3

• Ot
    OTtg Feb 22, 2011

Add me to the people who have been ripped off by RedBox in this exact same scenareo. for me, i was charged $48.76 for three movies I rented and returned within 24 hours. Like others, i have filed a complaint with the Chicago Better Business Bureau where their corporate headquarters is located.

• Zo
    ZoeLori Dec 27, 2010

If you want to get them back go get a prepaid visa or mastercard and get yourself as many movies (3 I think) as you can out of the box then keep them, make sure you spend all the money on the gift card so you don't get that money zapped off the card by the Red Devils!!!
    Netspend at Ace check cashing works, Vanilla wont work.

Maxell Dec 17, 2010

If you have been over charged by RedBox then sign-up for the:

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT:

Maxell Dec 17, 2010

I just signed up for the Class Action Lawsuit against RedBox!

Maxell Dec 17, 2010

It's time RedBox Stops ripping people off with their SCAMS!

HA!
    Check this out folks!
    Looks like there is a Class Action in progress against RedBox!

Maxell Dec 17, 2010

Spread The Word about REDBOX - They are Scamming people!

Maxell Dec 17, 2010

It's time for a Class Action LawSuit!

• Sj
    sjones1329 Oct 18, 2010

I rented two dvds from redbox back on August 17th, they were returned on August 19th. Yes, they were 2 days late, but on September 18th they put a charge thru for $54, claiming the dvds were never returned. I e-mailed redbox numerous times without response. We contacted them today and demanded they refund our money. After speaking with two incompetent customer services reps. they said the movies the barcodes for these movies were checked out, yet never returned. The "technician" supposedly verified they were not returned, yet, they were willing to refund us half the charge because we are "valued" clients, and have never had a problem on our account. I asked to talk to a supervisor and told him that they either refund the whole amount or none at all, and we will dispute it thru our bank, considering our bank said they have a lot of problems with customers renting dvds from them and then taking money out of the account. REDBOX IS A BIG SCAM!!! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE MONEY STOLEN FROM YOU A MONTH LATER! I am in process of filing a complaint with the BBB and will e-mail, phone and do whatever it takes to get my money back from these thieves. I agree with one person on here, you need to post warning signs on their kiosks! Not to mention, half the time the dvds are scratched all to hell and dont play. Go to Blockbuster kiosk. They are alot better to deal with.

• Mi
    michael Madison Sep 27, 2010

Redbox are vending machines. It's not rocket science people. If your IQ isn't higher than your shoe size then you shouldn't be in possession of a credit card let alone renting from a Redbox. I have been using Redbox for several years now. Sure occasionally the machines break, so what? Call customer service get them to tell you where another one is! They're rarely more than a mile away. You have to call their friendly customer service in order to get help, and I have found that they go out of their way to help and educate. If you put in your email address you will get a receipt emailed to you when you return. Come on people get a grip. If you don't keep the movies for more than 25 days you don't get charged the $25.00. Use your heads... $1.00 per day. How is it their fault if you don't return your movies?? People like you ruin it for the rest of us. Think about it, would you get away with half the BS you pull at Redbox with Blockbuster? No, if the store is closed the movie is late tuff. So you don't return the movies by 9pm to the redbox, its late. Suck it up. I guess since they have just celebrated their billionth rental this month there are bound to be a few dumb [censor] like you guys who screw it up. But the other millions of people a day who rent enjoy their services. Keep it up Redbox

• Sm
    smartguy44 Sep 13, 2010

wow guys not very mature redbox only charges 1.00 per night it adds up until its returned then charged additional nights thats why you call them to tell them that the redbox is down, so you can get your charges waved or help you in some other way. it is your responsibilty to take back the movies even if its alittle further if you loose your movie your problem if you didnt return it after 25 days and charged 25 dollars for each movie live with it, your mistake they have things to avoid example: redbox.com sign up register put in your email at the redbox and get confirmations when you return the movies if you dont get a confirmaiton when u return it call them or your promo doesnt work maybe cause it expired or you used it already sometimes when you enter the code and your card is declined it becomes invallid. credit card problems pending charges means there pending charges means they come off and your not actually charged so get it right. if you change your card and they refunded you it cant go on your card because its changed And prepaid cards visa or anything dont work with redbox.

• Rd
    rdbxluvr Mar 01, 2010

I love Redbox. No problems, no complaints.

• Af
    Affronted in Oregon Feb 28, 2010

Months ago, RedBox falsely alleged that I didn't return a movie, and then charged me a $24 replacement fee. It took forever to straighten this out with Customer Service over the phone, and I think the only reason they refunded the money is that I threatened to rent exclusively from Netflix. Tonight I decided to make good on that threat because I discovered that 2 RedBox promotion codes they'd issued to pacify me expired within approximately 10 days of being issued -- another rip off!!!

• Su
    Susana Lazarit Feb 16, 2010

2/17/2009 My name is Susana Lazarit. I rented a dvd back in January from Redbox. Big mistake. When I went to return it the machine said it cannot accept at this time because it was full! After I got that message twice I contacted customer service about it. They said it did show on their computer that I did in fact try returning the dvd and the box was full. The said I would get refunded for any late fees and to just try in a couple of days. I Finally was able to return the dvd on the FOURTH try!
    Come to find out a month later on my bank statement I am now getting charged 30. for that dvd. I spoke to the manager and explained all my troubles for him to tell me that he can only refund me 10. of my 30 dollars!! I will never rent a dvd from Redbox again. They are a rip off!!!
    -Susana Lazarit. from Monrovia, California.

• Br
    Brianhd71 Jan 27, 2010

I thought Red box was great the first couple times I used it. But when I tried to return a movie and had to wait in line for a couple browsing for movies, I discovered it was not so convenient after all. Not Red Boxes fault though, right? So, the next time I rented a video, I tried to return it early in the morning, around 8:00 am. Guess what? The machine displayed that it was full and that I should try another location. How's that for convenience? I asked Red Box that very question in an e-mail and never got a response.

The last straw was when I rented a video after 9:00 pm at night. I wasn't sure how that would work, but the next morning (9:25 am)I was re-assured in an e-mail that the video was not due back until tomorrow night. Well I was charged for an extra nights rental and when I asked about that I was told by Joy that the charge was valid because videos were always due back the following night. My question for her is: Why do you have policies that are so confusing? Make the time due back at 12:00 midnight like everyone else. Have a separate machine at busy locations so customers don't have to wait in line to return a movie or worse, drive to a different location.
    Finally, and this should be a no-brainer: If a customer has a complaint, take them seriously and resolve the issue to their satisfaction. Red Box has been around in Racine since last summer. You'd think they'd want my business? But, they apparently don't. That's fine because they aren't going to get it anymore.

• Mi
    Michaelschiavone Jan 05, 2010

Whether intetionally or not I was charged 11 times in a day for the same movie. I didn't realize this until my bank statement came in any everything was bouncing and late fees everywhere! ( I was low on money at the time, sure. but I knew I had enough for the dollar movie) When I called redbox they said they'll look into it, and it will be fixed 7-10 business days. 3 months later they have no idea what I'm talking about! Now my bank charges $5 a day that I'm in the negative and one "simple, Cheap" rental has cost me over $1200 and my credit score. If a person did this they would be in jail for fraud/theft. But if was done by a computer so no one is held accountable?

• Wo
    Wordsmith Dec 30, 2009

Redbox has an outdated forerunner of the current move Inglorious ### in their vending machine. Not knowing about the original, which is a dreadful movie, done by Italians in the 60's, I rented the movie. How am I suppose to know that the 2009 version was a remake. I'm wondering if anyone else has made this mistake. Deliberate or not, this piece of crap shouldn't be in the vending machine, since it misleads unwary renters into thinking they are renting the Brad Pitt version.

• Da
    dantheman2001 Dec 10, 2009

i do agree with txkaty on the fact that they need to provide a reciept of return.

• Da
    dantheman2001 Dec 10, 2009

i had the same problem, but customer service was great and handled it.Even though I could return to anouther location.So my opinion of your problem is ( deal with it and quit being a cheap [email protected]@, its just like any other rental company, you pay for how many days you have it.Also what you complaining about anyway it still was the same price in the long run as renting from anouther company.

• Tx
    txkaty Sep 30, 2009

RedBox DVD seems to be comfortable with the FACT that they charge so many people for the Supposed unreturnded movies", They refuse to send proof, they told me to call back to see if the movies we rented were returned, I did, but they said I must have returned them after I called to complain of the overcharge!!! They sit there and accuse you of lying then listen as you get angry and frustrated! the customer service is a joke!!! I guess there is truth to the old saying "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR" in this case I think REDBOX owes every one of us money because the money they charged 51.26, should have bought me better service!!! Also, They refused to send me the 2 movies they were charging me for!!! I will be reporting them to DA, BBB, And write to our State Reps to tell them they must make them more responsible, and should require a reciept of return be printed at each box. My Suggestion to everyone is to print all of these complaints (I AM) and post them at every location possible so that prospective consumers be warned!!!

Mark Welch Aug 21, 2009

Someone needs to file a class-action lawsuit, compelling RedBox to refund its charges for "late" or "never returned" DVDs. Their entire system is designed to prevent the consumer from having any form of proof that an item was returned -- and I suspect that they earn more from these scam charges than from all legitimate rental fees combined.

We just had a charge for $26 on my wife's debit card, alleging that we had not returned a DVD rented earlier this month. Of course, we had returned it, and as always we saw the full-screen message that the disc was received.

But of course, the Redbox system is designed to provide NO PROOF of any returns (even if you provide an email address, it doesn't always send a return acknowledgement, and of course we didn't get an email regarding this return).

The system is DESIGNED to prevent any proof -- and the "charge first, ask questions later" practice is unfair.

This could be a great issue for a state Attorney General to litigate -- Redbox should be compelled to return all "overage" fees and to modify its devices to provide meaningful proof (such as a printed receipt) when items are returned. A quick search turns up TENS OF THOUSANDS of consumer complaints about Redbox.

• Ph
    PhilipinTennessee Aug 18, 2009

The same thing happened to me. I returned a movie only to get charged 26 bucks for it. I called customer service and got the same story about the technician and waiting 3 weeks and that they would call me back. After about a month I called them only to have them tell me that the technician didn't find anything and that they could not refund my money. I contacted the BBB and my debit card company to dispute the charge. I will never rent Redbox again nor will anyone I know.

• Dn
    DNLouisville Jul 23, 2009

I love the idea of RedBox. But all but one of the movies I have rented have skipped... one horribly.
    I wish there were a separate slot for damaged movies to be returned into to get these out
    of the system.

• Am
    Ama John Jul 15, 2009

Send complaints to Coinstar [protected]

joana Jun 04, 2009

RED BOX has arrived. They are now the quintessential American Company. They lost two DVDs I returned, they continued to charge my card until they found them, about $20.00 and they returned me $2.00 Isn't that just like what we have recently come to know as the American way. Screw the consumer as much possible, never admit your lack of service, fraudulent practices or mistakes, overcharge, overbill and cheat. You have made it RED BOX!!! You are in with all the other American Companies now.