RCNRCN UPGRADE sucks!

RCN upgraded their cable network to docsis 3 (digital) in the Allentown area.they scheduled me for a upgrade 10/15/09 so I figured ok lets see what they can do.

first thing i noticed is some sub contractor with virgina plates in a white van shows up with a couple of new converter boxes in hand.so I was alittle nervious about letting this guy in my house not being from RCN.so he did the install and couldn't get the new boxes working and said that he would have to come back with different ones so he is rescheduled to come out again in a couple of days but I have decided to go with a whole new service.

my biggest complaint after reviewing this whole RCN upgrade is my channels are all over the place and they have added channels that don't work and even in the channel guide the channels are so spread out you don't know which one works unless you select that channel.I was told by customer support that thats the way the channels are now.this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

1.did I ask for this upgrade? no

2.did I ask to pay 3 bucks extra per converter box per room? no

3.why are all these channels that don't work being forced down my throat? why is this upgrade being forced down my throat?

come on people we don't have to stand for this type of monopoly.did you know that now RCN has upgraded its network you will be paying more come march rate hikes?

Time to do something:

I am not a promoter for anyone or any company..my wife and I are hard working people trying to put kids through college and stay alive in this economy.so I did some checking around and research and I thought about satillite tv but their rates change after the first year and sat tv has serious cancellation and hidden fees.

so after looking at dsl sat and other options.I found that for my situation someone who is NOT ready to go to HD and just wants basic tv I have made the decision to go with service electric tv in bethlehem pa.check them out you don't need a converter box for every room and you still get cable in every room and the best part is when I'm ready to go to HD with service electric its my choice not theirs.

oh one last tid bit I'm gonna save about 60 bucks a month by switching to sectv.com bundle package.and also they have a bundle promo right now for the first 3 months 79.95 for all 3 internet phone and cable and final bill per month for all 3 is 99 bucks.do the math look at your rcn bill... goodluck

Janet P Oct 30, 2009

I recently got my "upgrade" boxes installed in Bethlehem PA. No problems with the installer. He was from outside the area but was very nice and everything works fine. My problem is trying to figure out where my channels are. Everything is changed and very confusing. I called RCN to ask for something that would show me what channels are where and was told that I HAD TO go online to get it for myself. I told her I had already tried that and hadn't found what I wanted. She insisted that she could NOT mail me anything but that I should get it off the internet. I tried online again and only found where the channels USED to be but nothing on the new changes. I did not want to go through that circular menu again, so I drove to the local office and found the channel guides just lying on the counter. I can't believe it took so much time and frustration on my part to accomplish this simple thing!

I am still frustrated about the forced "upgrades" and the fact that just channel surfing won't get me anything anymore. I must now plug in some 3-digit number to get a channel. What are they using all those empty channels in the 30s and 40s for?
    Janet P