QuickBooksQuickBooks is a rip off!

P Review updated:

They constantly force the user to upgrade and the support desk says something different every time I call. I have spoken to several people who feel the same.

• Ri
    Richard Ashcroft Feb 02, 2007

I bought a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer nine months ago for $100 and it no longer works and they won't do anything about it. I advise everyone to stay clear of their products.

• Lm
    LMLenz1 Feb 13, 2009

I also updated my quickbooks and it has successfully crashed my quickbooks payroll function. I cannot pay my employees using quickbooks. When I called for help, I was told that since I do not subscribe to their service I will be charged for them to fix the problem. I did not cause the problem nor do I feel I should have to pay for a problem I did not create. Their "update" screwed up my program. I have written to the BBB and Consumer Reports to report their predatory behavior and am seriously considering doing books the old fashion way!

• Wa
    Walt Mar 13, 2009

Prices, for the payroll subscriptions in particular, keep going up and up and they keep cutting features. The standard one that let you print your own federal forms is being replaced with a "basic" sub that includes no forms; the enhanced at the old price point only includes 3 employees. And on top of that, you are forced to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade to keep simple stuff working. How hard can it be? Or is this just about the money? That's my bet.

• Ga
    gailb Jan 19, 2010

I upgraded to the quickbooks online after checking, double checking that the client credit card information would convert - the lied it did not ! I have wasted three weeks with multiple calls only to find out that it can not happen - mind you they don't care either.

Mark Gridley Jan 22, 2010

I've got a small machine shop. 3 employees, 2 of which ar my wife and I. We constantly are having tech problems. Again the complaint for which everybody has, and the response from QuickBooks: "well, we can fix that if you'll buy our online payroll service."
    We are'nt able to enter the new tax rolls, without using thier online payroll service. I think maybe they don't use any people to do this online service-Ergo they make huge bottom line, with no real overhead(except code writers, which is all they are anyway). Thanks for all the integrety QuickBooks!

Mark Gridley Jan 22, 2010

Theives

Manny's Oct 27, 2018

@Mark Gridley So true!

• Jw
    JWElite Oct 06, 2010

Bought Quickbooks 6 months ago and my laptop died. Switched to Mac and called them to switch my license to Mac Version. EVERY other company complied...QB said "NO". Period. Can I talk to someone else? "NO". Is there someone to file a complaint with. "NO, I am the presidents assistant" (me - really, lol, what's he wearing today?). Choose financial software carefully because once they have you they know they can screw you because it's a pain in the butt to switch finance software!

• Je
    J. E Mar 16, 2011

Quickbook is now going to screw you because they are going to charge you to upgrade evry two years if you use there payroll services. i have 2008 version and they are forcing me to upgrade to 2011 version or i wont be able to use my payroll services through them. DONT buy Quickbooks!

• Lu
    Lucid Books Jul 20, 2011

I have had the same experience having to tell my old clients to upgrade to newer quickbooks because otherwise I couldn't read their files. I have finally found a product though that is working wonders online. It is called Xero. You can find them at Xero.com. They will simplify your accounting more than you would have though possible (especially after switching from quickbooks). If you would like a VERY competitive or, in my opinion, much better alternative, consider using Xero.

Visit my website at www.lucidbooks.us if you are interested or give me a call and I'll let you know what options you have available. I offer a monthly service to provide accounting and support.

• Mo
    Moondogcr Oct 15, 2011

They just tried to do it to me. Said 2006 no longer supported. "I don't need support. I need my QB that I paid for to work". "Let me spek to your supervisor". We she came back on the phone she said now that her supervisor said it was OK for her to help me re register. They just want to sell you stuff and if you do not need it Don't let them get you.

• Jc
    JCnotlikeQB Mar 14, 2015

Several years ago, quickbooks updated my QB software that I'd bought. The update disabled QB and I could not use it. I called QB and they said I'd have to pay $50 per hour or whatever their fee was for them to fix it. They broke it, why should I have to pay their extortion fee for them to repair it?!?! Now, they are going to intentionally disable the credit card processing that is tied to QB unless I buy QB 2015!! I pay a monthly fee for their CC processing, points, etc and they still want to extort $225 from me to continue to have QB and their CC processor to function. Imagine buying a car, taking the car in for service at the dealer, and the dealer disables the car and tells you that you'll have to buy the car again for them to fix it. SCAM!

• Cr
    Craig Rudolph Nov 18, 2017

I am still using 2013 Pro. Works just fine. One day it had a bizarre error and would not allow me in to it. I decided to upgrade at the tune of $200. The new 2018 pkg had issues. When I called QB tech support they wanted $400. to fix it. And, as usual, the person spoke very little English. I asked if they had a one time fix price, no was the answer. The third tech I spoke to offered a one time fix for $200. I refused to do it. I finally remembered I use Acronis backup service. I rolled my PC back and all was good. My complaint is Quick books is a scam and they continually get worse. I would not put it past them to have created my problem to begin with. They want you to upgrade every year. They no longer offer support or software downloads of programs only 4 years old. I should really start looking for another software.

• To
    Towerlady Oct 27, 2018

I feel like I've out dumbed QuickBooks, at least for a while yet. I run an older version from before all the "activation" nonsense started. My QB resides on a computer that never sees the Internet, so security is not an issue--just the minor inconvenience of needing to transfer data now and then over to an Internet-connected computer to email to my customers. I've written my own payroll program in Excel that works well enough for my small business, and I keep up with my government filings. So, one lady's answer to all their b---s---.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices