Priceline.com — fraud and scam

I booked a hotel room from the priceline.com web page, using the name your price feature. I requested 2 rooms, for 3 nights. I submitted my price request for a 2 star hotel. Here is what occurred when we checked in the room.

*The room was dirty, with stains all over the bathroom.
*We then found a used condom between the nightstand and the bed.

Upon seeing the appalling condition of the hotel, I left the room to report this to the management. When I walked out of the room to talk to the hotel management, I was approached by a man who aggressively requested money. I refused him and quickly went to the hotel reception. When I reached reception, no one was there. I waited for 20 minutes but no one was available at the front desk. I returned to the room.

When I returned to my room, there was a knock at the door. When I looked out the window, I did not know the person and did not answer. He began shouting at my door, asking if I had jumper-cables. I shouted back that I did not. He persisted and made a strange request and asked if I would go to my car and double check and see if I had cables. Again, I told him no. He then asked “if I find some jumper-cables, will you give me a jump�. I told him NO! I became concerned about the total lack of security and for the safety of my wife, daughter and myself.

We waited for the person to leave my door and then my family and I made a quick exit to our car. As I was driving out of the parking lot, another person (appeared to be another transient) jumped in front of my car trying to get us to stop. I backed up and drove around him and did not look back.

I prepaid $450.28 for a 2 star room. Later, I looked at the hotel that priceline booked for me and saw that it is a 1 star hotel and not the 2 star that had been contracted for. Upon leaving the hotel, I contacted priceline service and was told that there was nothing they could do. As we were desperate for a hotel, I booked a room with the priceline reservation group and paid with my credit card. I have repeatedly contact the priceline service reps, but have been met with evasive and obvious disinterest.

*I paid priceline for a 2 star hotel and was given a 1 star.

Upon reading the other horror stories in this forum about priceline.com, I feel that dealing with these people is hopeless.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Mi
    Michelle Rowe-Smith Dec 01, 2006

Do not use Priceline. I believe that any service online that wants you to give them your card information prior to purchase has to have a hidden agenda. Priceline withdrew money from my account. When I called the 800- number to dispute the fact that i did not confirm any flight for that price. They told me that there was no way that they would refund the money or change the flight.

Whatever happened to the customer is always right?
    Unless you have money to burn I would not recommend that you use Priceline.

• Valerie Apr 21, 2008

Priceline has a "price match guarantee" offer in which if it so happens you find a cheaper price, they can refund you the difference. The catch is, you have to call customer service, go through about 20 voice menus with a computer, stay on hold to connect with a representative, then walk them step-by-step through a website (in which they will try to select features in which they won't be able to pull up the details, or they really can't follow simple directions at all), then they check with their manager all in all 2 hours with customer service on the phone.

The lady on the phone was nice, but after she finally found the website proceeded to read EVERYTHING including what was in the room "air conditioning, TV, premium movies with a fee, two chairs, one or two beds, safe, parking, FM radio, remote control for the TV..."

I should have just gone to hotels.com this isn't worth it and they really aren't the cheapest.

• Valerie May 05, 2008

I am writing with regards to the customer service I received in March of 2008.

I had unused tickets from a December 2007 flight (through United Airlines) that I was unable to make; I arranged with a travel service representative to put it on hold.

On March 2, I called to use the Dec flight to purchase a March 15, 2008 flight from SFO to YUL that I saw on the Priceline website for $446, plus a $130 change fee. The agent told me he was able to purchase the flight and that I should wait for my e-ticket which he said would take a couple of days to be processed and emailed.

On March 8, I had still not received any notifications or email so I gave their customer service a call. To my surprise, the agent told me that he could not find my ticket for March 15 and on top of that he could not even find my ticket from December 2007! So I was not only out of a flight for March 15, but they told me my Dec 2007 flight does not even exist in their records. After 45 minutes on the phone, the agent transferred me on to another agent who told me the same thing, and after another half hour he said he was transferring me to his manager but he just hung-up on me! I felt so confused, frustrated, frantic, and angry. I called customer service again to explain what had happened only to be told the same thing and I was advised to try speaking to a manager the next day.

So I called back on March 9, and I tried to calmly explain that I should at least still have my December 2007 ticket still on record. The customer rep told me she could not find it either and finally transferred me to a Travel Service agent. The Travel Service agent was finally able to recover my December 2007 flight and the March 2 record of me purchasing the March 15 flight. The Travel Service agent explained to me that the March 15 flight was unable to be purchased b/c apparently I can only redeem the December 2007 flight through United Airlines directly. She told me that the agent from March 2 tried to call me. But the agent never reached me on the phone and never even left a message. And if the agent from March 2nd was serious about contacting me, the agent should have also emailed me. However, this was not done either.

So there I was, a week from March 15 without a flight and feeling very taken advantage of. In the end, I bought a whole new flight on March 9 through Travelocity that ended up costing almost double b/c of how close it was to March 15.

I am so disheartened and surprised that a well-known and established company like Priceline could have such horrible, ill-informed, and rude customer service. It felt like the customer service was out to give me the run-around until I did not have the energy to stand-up for myself anymore. I am so discouraged from using their company’s services again in the future.

Mark Jul 14, 2008

You should contest the charges on your credit card. I had similar expreience and contested charges and they denined the claim even tho there was no signature for the charge. . so don't use discover either.!!!

• Bi
    Bill Morton Jul 26, 2008

We booked a hotel room through Priceline for our family, and requested 2 beds, but got a standard room with 1 king sized bed instead. Some how in the booking process Priceline swapped what we asked for. We didn't know this at first, but found this out when I called to complain that the "discounted" "name your own rate" price was actually *more* than the hotels own web-site showed! I called to complain about the price only to find out that my kids would have to sleep on the floor, because the room PL gave us only had a king sized bed. The customer service person at PL could have cared a less. She said that the contract clearly showed that we had purchased a standard room. But my eyes clearly remembered that we had booked a room for 2 adults and 2 children. After spending 45 minutes of the CS rep saying the same thing over and over and over again I finally gave up. I kept saying a standard room won't accomodate our family and our kids will have to sleep on the floor. She kept saying I didn't say your kids would have to sleep on the floor. I said you know that means four people in one bed. She said that is what you ordered. I said no I ordered 2 beds at a discounted price and got 1 bed at a price that is higher than the hotel charges, and round and round and round she went... I said the reason I'm calling customer service is to try to remedy a problem, not to be read the contract. But she never tried to rectify the situation. PL customer service people have no power to change anything. It's not really their fault. Once I realized this I gave up. Priceline is truely a sorry outfit. I called my Credit Union and they gave me the steps to dispute the charges. I will NEVER USE PRICELINE AGAIN! I've used Hotwire at least 20 times a year with about 90% satisfaction. On those occassions when there is a problem, the customer service reps eventually fix the problem; even when the problem is the hotel's. Don't be clotheslined by priceline.

• Bi
    Bill Morton Jul 26, 2008

• Am
    AM Sep 30, 2008

I bid on a car rental and after a couple bids priceline accepted my offer. When i checked the emailed itinerary i noticed that they booked me at a rental company at the airport that is closed at the time i requested. i immediately called priceline and told them that they had made an error with my reservation and that if they could either refund me my money or switch me over to another rental company that would be open at my arrival. first off priceline has no customer service skills and then on top of that they told me that basically that it was my problem now and that i need to deal with it. i asked to speak to the supervisor and they were just as unprofessional and told me the same thing, that it was my problem and that they could not change my reservation. we argued back and forth and i told them continuously that it was a error on their part and that they should fix it. finally, the superviosr just hung up on me. now i am stuck with a reservation that is no use to me and obviously they have charged my credit card.

• Ba
    bajaskier Sep 30, 2008

Simply dispute the charge on the crdit card. Be sure to uses the magic word "fraud". Good luck.

• Su
    Susan Oct 29, 2008

Priceline is a ripoff. In combination with Delta airlines. You may as well be talking to a robot when you try to have a actual conversation with customer service at Priceline. They talk to to you as if they want to help, but they just can't, like they are being held captive and someone has a gun to their head telling them what to say. I have never dealt with a company like this before, and trust me, never again. Even at the highest level, corporate, they are very sorry but they just can't help you. I purchased two round trip tickets to Mexico for my daughter and her fiancee's honeymoon, somehow (and I don't think it was my fault) they put my name on both tickets, what started off as something that I thought could be fixed easily has turned out to be a nightmare for me. The bottom line is they absolutely refuse to help. So now I'm stuck with two tickets that I can't use, what am I going to do, take a vacation with myself. I tried to explain to these robots, they just could not help, no one at Priceline can help with anything. I'd just like to get the word out to anyone thinking of using Priceline that they are sooooooooo deceptive in their buisness to please look around, don't use a company like this, trust me. I checked with a travel agency and could have got these tickets cheaper through them, with none of the troubles that I have been through right before my daughters wedding. Just thanks to your site for helping to let others know about companies like this that should not be allowed to operate.

• Valerie Oct 31, 2008

No matter if its their fault and you didn't get what you were lead to believe, Priceline.com customer service insists there is nothing they can do. No changes, no refunds, no nothing. Your bid was accepted, your money is gone and you're screwed. Three calls to customer service later, nothing has changed. Now you're told your case is closed but you can always write headquarters. Thank you, we're sorry, see ya!

• Valerie Oct 31, 2008

After purchasing tickets through Priceline, while still "signed-in" I wanted to research a price on round trip tickets for my mother from FL to NY. When I went to search for the tickets Priceline charged my credit card for tickets it found without "Confirming" that i wanted to actually purchase these tickets. I don't have a problem with the departure time but the return date needed changing because of the length of time. Not only were they rude about it they won't make changes, even though I was willing to pay penalties. I am out a hell of a lot of money because I don't know if my mother will even travel on the dates. So NEVER NEVER NEVER again will I purchase tickets for trips through priceline, nor will I travel the airline that accepted the terms and is unwilling to help me out with changes to the ticket. Even with enough advance notice. I will go out of my way to know how I was treated by this company and how they won't try to help people with ticket problems. It was suggested that even if my mother was dead they wouldn't refund or change the ticket. What kind of a company claiming to help people with cheap fares won't help those they've freely RIPPED OFF!

• Ba
    Barbara Dec 03, 2008

I purchased a ticket for my son to visit his in-laws in Texas during Christmas. He was to fly back to his army base, Ft. Drum, NY on 12/27/08. I purchased the ticket 11/27/08. I found out today 12/03/08, that my son will not be allowed to go cross country, because he is to deploy to Afghanistan, Jan. 4, 09. He was told this today . I called Priceline today and related this to them, for over an hour, I was told the airlines was who I needed to speak to about a refund, then Priceline, the the airlines, then back to Priceline. By this time I am NOT happy. so when I couldn't make any head way, basically I gave Priceline a $336. tip. I also told Priceline that I didn't have money tree, and I couldn't just throw away money. His answer was, "If you had called within 24 hours, I could have gotten a refund, well how could I call within 24 hours, when I just found out today?? His answer is I am sorry, Nothing Priceline can do.
    Hope Priceline enjoys the tip... I will never buy from them again, even if I have to pay aliitle more for a ticket, I'll go through the airlines First from now on.

Sally Jan 27, 2009

My latest experience with Priceline was the worst, and I will never use them again!!! During the process of booking a hotel room this time (I have used them twice before with mixed success), I discovered Priceline uses fraudulent advertising to make us think we're getting a great deal. When I requested a particular area for the hotel room, they booked a room clearly not in the area I requested. When I called customer service to dispute my hotel reservation in a place I didn't want to be, their reasoning was, 'it's in that area according to our map'.

I called the hotel directly to ask them if there was a misunderstanding or if they could shed any light on the matter, and the folks who worked at the hotel insisted in no way, shape, or form, was their hotel in the area I had requested on Priceline. I ended up calling customer service at Priceline three times and talked to three different managers for a total of two hours trying to resolve my problem, and to add insult to injury, all three managers ended up hanging up on me!!!

Needless to say, Priceline customer service had a scripted response to every point I made about their false advertising, dishonest business practices, and misleading literature, which was, 'we use our own maps to determine where hotels are, and we are not able to refund/cancel any reservations'. No matter how many times I pointed out 'their own map' was, in fact, different than the maps the city planners themselves made for the city, they insisted 'we use our own maps and all bookings are nonrefundable and nonnegotiable'.

maerie4 Jan 29, 2009

When you "pick your own price" they ask that you put your credit card. When they do this they state that you WILL BE CHARGED IF YOUR OFFER IS ACCEPTED. Once you click okay and submitted your offer you agreed to these terms. If you wanted the optionto change or cancel then you should pay regular price.

• Sc
    schieve Apr 14, 2009

To Whom This may concern:

Priceline is a rip off, as far as I'm concerned! My receipt reflects that I have a rental car included with my vacation package which also includes hotel and air.

When I called Priceline several times, they have refused to admit that in fact I do have car rental included. I faxed a copy of my receipt to a Quinn, Priceline Employee and the same answer comes back. "Your contract does NOT include a rental car, when in fact my receipt reflects that I do!!!

Please help!!!

Thank you in advance.

Jessica Cossaboom

• Jn
    J.N Apr 23, 2009

Just got scammed by Priceline. Placed and offer for a 3 star hotel only gave me a choice and booked me at the Holiday Inn automatically without confirmation or nothing. Never will use it again or recomend it.

• Vo
    Vonore666 Jul 01, 2009

The same thing happen to me. Confusing maps, miserable customer service, and worthless supervisors. Never use "name your own price" for hotels.

• De
    dejaomare Nov 03, 2009

Furious and loss of a future customer

I purchased airline tickets via Priceline. I selected the orgination city as being open to the nearby airports. Nearby airports in the Washington DC metro include BWI, DCA and IAD. A nearby airport is not Philly airport. Philly airport is over two hours away. To my surprise my purchase, Priceline has me leaving from Philly. Now I have to leave my house at 1 am in order to get to the Philly airport for the 2 hours prior required in order to meet my flight and this includes the traffic and tolls and getting my 3 kids up at that time. It should have been clear what the radius is for an nearby airport. A nearby airport should include airports in a 50 mile radius. Due to this error, I might have to leave extremely early as stated above or leave the previous day and stay overnight.

I would like Priceline to modify my airline tickets so that I leave from an actual nearby airport which includes BWI, DCA and IAD.

Sincerely,

Sha-Meen Alston

• Ge
    Gem Jan 08, 2010

Priceline's ratings of New York hotels as 4 or 3.5 stars was highly deceptive. I wound up with a reservation for a very very tiny room in a 3.5 hotel described as "upscale plus". Nonsense! The room is 144 sq. ft., that's 14X10. Customer reviews confirmed the ridiculous size. Priceline does not give you the option of rejecting or choosing hotels. You are completely dependent on their categories and choice.

I attempted to upgrade through the hotel (The Hudson on W. 58th. St.) I was told Priceline has to handle it. I phoned Priceline. They told me the hotel has to handle it. I phoned the hotel back. The very nice reservation clerk said, "I knew that would happen. They tell you that if they think you don't know what you're doing. You have to insist that they fax your request to regional otherwise they won't help you and even then they might not, but they are supposed to do it." I phoned back Priceline. Their computer was down and their customer service rep was all but unintelligible due to a foreign accent. I will continue my complaint procedure to as many receipt points as are available on the web.

no more priceline Feb 05, 2010

PLEASE BE WARE...
    i have used priceline.com for years...recommended it to my friends...bragged about my great deals...UNFIRTUNATELY...i have just found out that through priceline.com..this company called GRAT FUN got my credit card $ that i used to book my hotels, etc.
    I had seen this monthly charge on my credit card for $11.99 for awhile, but thot it was my husbands subscription, when i checked into it...and made the call to this GREAT FUN place..they told me they got my credit card number from priceline.com. I cntacted priceline .com and yes..they did give them my credit card number, but claim that I authorized this...I have never done this...the only thing i have used is priceline.com.
    SO BEWARE...
    as of today I no longer use priceline.com..and i hope you all follow my advise!

• Pr
    Priceline Master Mar 29, 2010

please you get what you pay for. Priceline is a service not the hotel. So if it is a dump it's not pricelines fault blame it on the non american ran hotel. You wanna get it cheap then stop your whinning. I use priceline weekly and never an issue i book the hilton for $ 40.00 the marriott for $ 38.00 and several other well known hotels so get a clue and blame yourself for being a cheap skate

• Ex
    Excellas Apr 07, 2010

We bid on a 5 star hotel in the Riverwalk district of San Antonio for a recent family vacation. What we were 'awarded', however, was the Marriott Plaza, an old, run down, smelly hotel with poor service, small rooms, uncomfortable beds, no amenities (come on.. even a flippin' Clarion has a refer in the room), we had to pay $15 a day for wi-fi.. it was blocks from anything.. including the Riverwalk.. in a dicey area where my wife would not go out unaccompanied. Under no ones definition would this be considered a 4 or 5 star hotel. And we were stuck there for five days with no options, as once your bid is accepted, you are out of luck. So far Priceline has done nothing but say, "Hey, we think it's a 4 star hotel". Well, if their rating system is this messed up, I will NEVER use Priceline again. They completely mis-represented what I was buying...a classic Bait and Switch... and you should be well aware of this when you book with them.

• Mu
    murphy s Apr 11, 2010

I bid on a 3 star hotel value of $159.00 I received a $79.00 hotel. One that I could have gotten direct from the hotel with a free breakfast. I called 10 minutes after they accepted my bid and found out this hotel has no elevator. I compained and got a rude staff saying no refunds. I didn't get anything near the value I bid on. Why? How can they do this?

• Ar
    Arvine26 Apr 26, 2010

So I just went to book a car rental on Priceline.com . I was quoted a price of 101.68, which I was fine with and agreed to. I clicked "confirm" and was led to the second page, which said, sorry, but it's 260.39. When I called them to try to fix it, their answer was this: "Well, we just didn't make the reservation at all, so it's ok." I didn't get an e-mail telling me that the reservation didn't go through, or anything. So why bother giving an confirmation number, etc. This gave the impression that not only did they complete the reservation, but they did so at more than twice the originally quoted cost. I asked them to simply match the orginal cost, and they refused. I talk to their initial customer service representative, Victor, and then finally to apparently "the highest court" representative, Ellen, who still refused to do anything.

I have PDF copies of both conflicting offers.

• Rb
    rb in tx May 12, 2010

I used name your own price to purchase a hotel in the Orlando airport area. Unfortunately, they accepted my bid and booked my at the Hyatt which is physically inside the airport. This is NOT where I thought I was getting a hotel. I have no desire to stay inside the airport. I tried to explain to priceline customer service. It was like talking to a brick wall. Hardly what I would consider customer service.
    Be very wary of using Priceline in vicinity of Orlando airport unless you really want a room inside the airport!

• Xr
    Xromove May 18, 2010

I just booked a hotel through Priceline very late last night for a reservation next month. I realize we have to change the date and will not be flying into the airport where I made the reservation. I called to ask if I can make cancel the reservation because we are not able to travel at this time. I was asked "didn't you read the contract?" He repeated the "you cannot change the reservation" statement about 10 times. I told him I made the reservation about 15 hours ago, couldn't we make a change. He asked if there was anything else he could do for me (and thinking he did absolutely nothing for me), I hung up the phone without saying goodbye. He had the nerve to call my cellphone and ask if there was anything else he could do for me. After explaining he did absolutely nothing for me and that their policy is ridiculous, I told him I will "NEVER, EVER, EVER USE PRICELINE AGAIN."

I would like everyone to know that Priceline is a rip-off. They claim their hotel rates are 50% cheaper than hotel rates. They are liars. I checked on the hotel site and I could get the same room I reserved for $7 more per night, but that $7 would give me freedom and flexibility to change my dates, the location and to cancel if necessary. Now I will either lose the money if I have to change plans, or drive from a different airport so that I won't lose my money. I also found out that the "stars" they use to rate the hotels are their own, so they can say something is 3 star and it isnt'.

• Go
    Goone Jun 03, 2010

I will never use price line again, and I will discourage any one else from using Priceline customer service sux...if you try to call you get the same recorded message transferring you over and over back to the start...send an e-mail you get a "form letter" response..i used them for my plane tickets that were not at any discount greater than the other travel agencies...but then I got a message with my confirmation to rent a car at 27.00 a day ...try to get a car at that price thru price line...LOL...its double that price..I believe price uses "bait and switch" tactics.

• Tr
    truestory Jun 04, 2010

I will NEVER book through priceline ever again! I put in a bid for to pick up the rental car on June 4 at 5:30pm and will return on June 6 at 4:00pm (22 1/2 hours) They charged me for 2 full days so I called to see if I could change the return time to 5:30 instead of 4:00 to get the full 48 hours that I am being charged for anyway and since I will be driving 6 hours away I wanted that additional time in case there was traffic. I called priceline and they said I would have to speak to the rental company so they transferred me to Avis. An Avis representative answered and said that they would have to transfer me. After being put on hold from Priceline for an hour then another 30 with Avis they finally picked up the phone to tell me that I would have to speak with Priceline. Both companies will give you the run around and will waste your time. I am already paying for the 48 hours so why couldn't I get that extra hour and a half? Ugh!

Be wary that you can't change anyting once you put your bid in. There are other compainies out there that are much more lenient when it comes to changing your itinerary and will actually pick up when you call their customer service. I didn't even get that great of a deal of priceline either, they will advertise you can get a car rental for 12.00 a day, but when you put your city and state in the price dramatically increases to nothing close to 12.00.

• Oo
    Ookleer Jul 09, 2010

Buyer beware for Priceline.com. We were totally burned by Priceline. Until now, we have been extremely satisfied users. We have frequently recommended it to friends and family. No more. Even if you have been satisfied customers in the past, your turn is coming.

We have complained to technical support, and it was escalated to the VP level and we still got the same answer. Our system could not have made a mistake.

We agreed to one price that stated "rental included." After agreeing to that price, we were automatically charged a price $208 above the price we had just agreed to. We called immediately to ask for assistance. We got a "too bad, so sad" message. All along it was denied that this could have occurred. All along we were told we signed a contract for an amount we were NEVER shown.

All in all, we got at least three different prices during the process. The final one we were stuck with was never shown to us before we "agreed to it". It was published after "the point of no return." It is no cheaper than just purchasing the airline & rental car on our own. We are both web-savvy. We are both experienced users of Priceline.

I cannot express just how dissatisfied and disappointed we are that there is absolutely no recourse for these types of errors.

• Lu
    luz camorlinga Jul 10, 2010

we pripaid parking at lax california airport for 6 days that we did't use . I e-mailed priceline customer service was told I would recieved a responce e_mail in 24 hours and I did not. I want my account credid for dates 6, 23, 2010 until 6, 28, 2010

• Lu
    luz camorlinga Jul 10, 2010

I don't understand my marking weather my camplaint was useful or not .

• Na
    Napoleon Jul 26, 2010

I recently booked a hotel through priceline. I had to leave early due to a funeral and the hotel assured me that I would get a refund.

The hotel informed me at checkout that they only charged priceline.com for the nights that I stayed at the hotel. When I called priceline, they admitted that the hotel was correct, but they would not refund my money because it was their "company policy to issue no refunds."

I know now that they put this in fine print on their site, but I think it is unethical and a bad business policy to keep the $120 that I feel they owe me. Especially when they very obviously tried to prevent me from seeing this information. After all they don't tell us about that on the commercials.

In an economy like this one, can we really afford to give our business to a company that won't assure us that their service is an outstanding one?

• St
    stephanielray1 Sep 18, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a weekend get-a-way and I saw the following on priceline:

It's 3-night flight + hotel packages to the Riviera Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas starting from just $166 per person. That's just $55/night, and that price includes your airfare. Stay >anytime between September 13 - October 27, 2010 to get this great deal! Hurry, ends September 19th!

The actual cost was: Per Person Price: $485; Total Price for 2 people: $971

I checked my airport/hotel taxes booking myself a flight and hotel and came no where near the $971.

• Jw
    JWVT Oct 20, 2010

I booked a room on Priceline.com for a one night stay in Montreal. I chose the two destinations I wanted to stay in, as is my practice, and I was booked in an area far from where I requested. Priceline.com representatives refused to provide any resolution, they claimed I asked for a hotel many miles from my destination. I know for a fact I did not and they would not listen. I will NEVER use Priceline.com again, they will do whatever it takes to get a room rental for as night. Tough times require tough measures. i think they are hurting financially and they have resorted to this sort of practices in order to get reservations. BE AWARE!!!

• Mo
    moralcustomer Dec 22, 2010

While Priceline does specify that it cannot guarantee whether you will receive 2 double beds, a queen bed, or king size bed, it does NOT mention anything about the possibility of hotels so small that they cannot have cots due to a fire hazard. This is not normal or safe and is causing me to lose the entire cost of my trip. And despite my tears and fear because of the impossibility of going to this hotel with my overweight, 6 foot 6" brother and staying in one small bed in what reviewers called "miniature rooms, " I allowed the customer service representatives to make their required statements like "Well I do apologize for the inconvenience" and provided the requested information, the customer service representative--whom I was put in touch with after asking for a manager--hung up on me. It is safe to assume that hanging up on customers in distress is not policy. This woman and the oversight of the issue of cots disgust me.

• Ms
    Mstrash Jan 27, 2011

I am a frequent traveler. I bid on a 4+ star room in NYC for $250 and received a bad 3+ star hotel (per Expedia rating). Called Priceline repeatedly and they refused to change or cancel the reservation. No matter who I spoke to, they simply repeated that they do not cancel a bid once accepted. There is no appeal process. I tried to reason with them that all they have to sell is trust and that they had violated mine. They expressed contempt toward this appeal. I have read many reviews on similar sites expressing the same concern. It was a horrible experience and I will not use Priceline again.

• Th
    Thomas B Feb 07, 2011

I will never use priceline again to book anything. There policy is to first wait on hold to speak to someone for an hour and then to say "I am sorry, there is nothing we can do for you" My husband and I booked a hotel through them and were not able to go out of town due to our baby being very sick. I asked them to give me a credit. I would even pay all of their fees. There answer was no. If you have a relative that dies we can help you then. If you ever think your plans may not work out, do not use them. Its not worth it. They do not care about their customers at all.

Charlesgraeber Feb 09, 2011

I'm a formerly loyal Priceline customer who successfully bid on a room yesterday. Only to arrive, discover that the hotel was overbooked and my room was now in another (cheaper) hotel, and in a very stinky smoking room, no negotiation possible.

By the time we arrived it was too late to do much else. We called Priceline and were told that we could cancel the room, but we were not guaranteed another. We chose to keep the room rather than risk a night in the rental car.

Bottom line: Priceline gives you smoking rooms. Which, as a non-smoker, is miserable. Even as a former smoker, I'd say this room is particularly brutal. The walls are yellow, the ceiling and carpets reek.

I believe that if the public really understood that they were risking a truly stinky room any time they used Priceline, they might not be so inclined to use Priceline. From my experience, I would gladly have spent more money for a room I could stand to be in. Priceline ruined my sleep on this business trip. Beware the Priceline bait and switch!

• Sh
    shellkd1 Feb 13, 2011

So I decided to book a hotel through Priceline and decided to book a rental car as well. I booked a rental for a mid size for $25 a day. I went to check my email right after I booked both and saw an email from Priceline about my upcoming trip. The email showed me car rentals for a lower rate than what I booked for. It stated that I could book a midsize for $19 a day. I immediatly got on the phone to Priceline requesting that this lower rate be offered and they claim that it was for a future trip. That is not what my email stated. The email stated for my upcoming trip to Daytona Beach which is where I am going. They then stated that I signed a contract and I can't get out of it which I understand. So I asked if they would send a check for the difference. They said no. They had the gull to tell me that they don't know why I received that email and that they can't verify the email. I told them that I wouldn't have called if I didn't receive this email. So I will be making a formal complaint with the BBB and I will no longer be using Priceline or refer Priceline to anyone. It's not even about the $20 difference really but the pure fact that they wouldn't offer the lower rate that they sent me.

• Kc
    KCP57 Feb 24, 2011

We paid the fare for a relative to visit another [ailing] relative. She is still awaiting our relative's release from the hospital and couldn't leave on the departure date however. She originally had to change her flight to the day after the original departure date and she was able to do this and just pay fifty dollars more. The airline [customer service] says we just got lucky then, but Priceline [customer service] says it is because the changes were made to the departure date earlier, rather than the return trip, in which no changes or refunds could be made.But this is the first we've heard of it and now we are out the money and she is out a return flight! I got the same 'we're very sorry but'... Be very careful about refunds and changes if you buy from priceline. We would have been better off buying a one way ticket at a higher price from the airline. Neither the airline nor Priceline would even offer to give us a discount on the returning flight.