Phone Powerbilling

I had a 1 year contract with Phone Power, 12 monthly payments. I started in January 2009, and moved my service to Vonage after paying my final 12th monthly payment to fulfill my contact. I returned my router and have a receipt of the accepted return.

No that my service is moved, they charged me $99.00 for no apparent reason. My equipment was returned and accepted. I fulfilled all payments of my contract.

I am opening a case with the BBB to file a complaint, and have contacted Phone Power to make them aware this complaint would be filed.

So, my advice so far, is Phone Power appears to be a very good service, until you try to leave, then they rob you - even after returning their equipment and making all payments for your contract.

I will make sure everyone I know, and everyone in our telecommunications departments at our global enterprise company are aware of Phone Power's scams.

• Fr
    Frank Ries Jan 18, 2016

Phone power is one of the biggest rip offs I have ever seen. Well over a month ago, they took $14.00 and some change from my checking account. I called them and complained at which time i received a refund. Now they have taken money out of my account again. I called and complained again, only this time they say that my device has been activated more than 30 days ago. I have never had their service, nor will I ever. AT&T has always been my phone service. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that none were available but they would have one return my call in 24 to 36 hours. What kind of business is that?

• Cl
    Class Action Lawsuit - Oct 27, 2014

Only three counties in California charge "local" taxes on VoIP services: Los Angeles, Alameda, Sacramento, and then only if you live in one of those counties. Yet phonepower charges everyone 11.64% in taxes which they say are federal, state and local. PP also charges taxes on the the second year of a two-year contact for which there is no revenue. There is no taxing authority that charges taxes on non-existing revenue. Knowingly and willfully charging taxes it is not authorized by law to collect and failing to remit such taxes to the appropriate taxing authority is not only illegal, it is criminal. A class action lawsuit is in preparation against PP. Buyer beware as this company's life will not be a long one.

• Jd
    J.Davidson Feb 19, 2013

I had Power Phone for the $199.99/year promotion with a second year free. It was a good deal and no complaints about the phone service. When the 2 years was up, the monthly charge went to their normal prices which was clear in their contract. I cancelled and moved to Voipo, who had a two year offer at $149 for a 2 years contract, and it was a no brainer. Voipo has been great. Phone Power kept sending me bills and I finally called the credit card company to deny payment. Cranky letters from Power Power continued. Today I got a letter from a collection agency for $50. I called Phone Power and I was told that they charged me $25 for filing a credit card dispute and an additional $25 for sending the collection to a collection agency!
    Has anyone had any similar experiences and how did you shake these guys loose? It is only $50, but it is a principle now.

• Av
    ava1 Sep 12, 2012

DO NOT GET PHONE POWER. THEY ARE A RIP OFF. JUST LIKE THE COMPLAINTS ABOVE. THEY WILL TAKE AS MUCH MONEY FROM YOU AS POSSIBLE. DEFECTIVE CHEAP POWER SUPPLY $10 THEY CHARGED ME. i USED MY OWN POWER SUPPLY THEY WILL TRY AND GET YOU FOR THE COST OF THE MODEM $99 AT CONTRACTS END!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY VERY BAD VERY BAD. THIS IS A TRUE STATEMENT I'M A FORMER CUSTOMER WARNING WARNING!!! STAY AWAY NO JOKE

• Tr
    truthwriter Aug 15, 2011

I agree they wont let u leave without charging u something. did 2 year contract...paid all...tried to cancel and they gave me the hardest time. had to file dispute to get money back they charged after i returned the equip. DO NOT USE PHONE POWER unless u want to stay forever...they r really mean also on the phone when u try 2 cancel...

• Mi
    mike 2104 Jun 30, 2011

betty wang didn't read "Terms of Service" which clearly states that you pay taxes and fees on next year of service, in all it price and reliabilty still better anything out there

• Be
    Betty Wang Jun 02, 2011

Phone Power has misleading ads with intent to deceive customers. On June 14, 2010 I signed up with PhonePower for one year service and 2nd year free. The promo said $199.95, you get two years. But when the bill came they tagged on $53 for fees, taxes, etc. One May 30, 2011, an email came from Phone Power that said my 2nd year was begins 6/14/2011 and I need to pay Taxes, Fees & Surcharges $50.24. I am going to file a complaints to BBB regarding this rip off.