Pepsiemployee treatment

Before I found your website, I did call Pepsi's consumer line to no avail. I did submit this email...

Initially, I called your New York office then your 800 customer care line and spoke "Michael" who didn't seem particularly interested in what I had to say. Now I am trying you...

Until recently, I was a proud Pepsi drinker and sang your praises to all who would listen. I even converted a few Coke fans. Anyhow, and I know this may sound odd, but I always thought when I graduated with my business degree I would work for your company. As I was growing up, I had friends who worked for you and thought you were a great company to grow old up and old with. However, when visiting some family in Jacksonville, FL recently, I saw some of my Pepsi "family" and saw something different in their eyes. I heard something different in their voice. While, in this economy, they were glad to work at Pepsi, they were disheartened by their circumstances and surroundings. They spoke of a plant manager or director, who promised to never promote from within. They spoke of never excelling because their "foot was already in the door and would remain planted where it stood and no where else unless it was leaving Pepsi". They spoke of wanting to leave but couldn't risk it because of the present state of our economy. I was truly shocked and disappointed. I didn't want to believe a company as big as Pepsi couldn't, wouldn't, want to promote unity from within. I snooped and found out that recently, employees had been overlooked, or as they put it, not even considered, for outside people. The irony is, that they allowed the employees to apply, I guess so it can look as though they were considered, then the plant manager brings in his pick from outside. I asked them could it be that they just were not qualified. They told me their immediate supervisors actually wanted them for positions but they were overruled. This is no better than those companies that outsource jobs to India. Honestly, I don't know if this is just in your Jacksonville, FL location or all over. I don't know if Pepsi's motto is "work and be happy you are working". I do know it is a disappointment. I do know this needs to be addressed. I do know I want to hear from you about this matter because at this point I also know I no longer want to be Pepsi anything and soon I will share my disbelief via email, facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.
Please tell me this is not your company wide policy. While I do believe every company needs fresh, new faces, I also believe they can't overlook the "seasoned" ones who have shown loyalty to that company through years and years of service.
Also, please don't insult me with polite, empty apologies and lies about addressing this matter. Even if this is your policy, be honest and say so. While I won't drink the product or promote it any longer, I can't hold it against you for being honest.

• Ri
    Rikkon Sep 02, 2012

Recently, I had left a full time job with full medical, dental and vision benefits after applying to Pepsi. After interviewing and taking and passing my physical, I was offered a full time position in the warehouse making much more than I was with my previous employer. I started June of 2012 and now out of work. Pepsi never made the fact known that I, and other new hires, would be competing against one another for a limited number of positions. I paid my union dues to the Teamsters even know I was not allowed to join their union until my supervisor had given my a "start date". As I was saying, Pepsi had all of us "non union" workers competing against each other similar like a reality TV show minus the cameras. Please keep in mind during this summer the warehouse reached 95 degrees and higher and to cool off I would have to step outside during my 5 minute break. After a few months the warehouse became very crowded with all new hires to a point where the work became dangerous (with all the forklifts and merchandise unsafely stocked) and counter productive. I was called into the office 15 minutes before my break, and my supervisor told me they were letting me go. They paraded me through the warehouse like I was some sort of criminal and taking me to the hanging grounds. They humiliated me and left me without a job. I know that I busted my back every day for them. I literally worked 7 days a week, 72 hours a week. If you have union representation then your job is much safer. So to my knowledge, the new supervising staff at Pepsi in Philadelphia PA on Roosevelt Blvd. DO NOT want new hires making the union because they then do not have full control of your every move and they can work you to death. Also I was only making 75% of the full salary. With a start date, I would make 100% and this is a way to keep their payroll to a minimum. Please beware if applying to this company just know what you can expect.

• He
    heyhey1986 Jan 13, 2012

I agree I work at Pepsi in modesto ca. And in 7 years I been there there has only been change to make us work more and harder while we hire managers that micro-manage for the 7 years I been there drivers have begged management to not allow drivers to accept and carry cash around from deliveries that stores pay for the product (some drivers carry up to 4000 dollars cash in there pocket) they asked for a safe in there trucks but management tells them they don't have the money to put them in the trucks. They don't care about the employees safety It's all about the money

• Ba
    babygirl32712 Aug 01, 2011

Pepsi lied to me had me convinced I had a job then blatantly ignored me..I nearly lost my home because of them, but also because of them I am now working at a different company making $5 more an hour and all the overtime I can handle..Pepsico in Orlando is no better then anywhere else...steer clear of pepsi..

mambanum5 May 06, 2011

I as well agree. I work in a Indiana facility and since Pepsico has purchased us, the treatment of all employees has changed dramatically. The attitude from management is, Be happy you have a job and if not, theres the door...Never in the several years I have worked for Pepsi has there been such a huge turn over rate. They over look the employees that has served the company for years for job upgrades and bring in new employees for jobs such as, routing, management, etc. when no promotions to employees that are more qualified for the job. As myself, and all my co workers, we are overworked and need more help. We all are now working 14-15 hour days to make up for employees who has had enough and walked and they havent been replaced but, on the bright side we have almost the same amount of management employees as we do the laborers. Im still trying to make sense of this...As of things happening in other facilities, yes there is quite a bit going on.

• Mm
    mmissa232002 Apr 14, 2011

Yep sounds like Pepsico to me... My husband works in one of the warehouses that is in the Jacksonville Region and the amount of favortimisms, backstabbing, and cover ups are amazing. the only way your going to move up in Pepsico is to have a family member high then you with the pull to do it and as well you had better be willing to hid the stealing, lying about hours ect ect I could go on for hours. I hate pepsi and refuse to buy any pepsi product any more. and I really dont think its just the Jacksonville area

• De
    devildogwife_1 Mar 12, 2011

Hi Robin, I can answer your question from personal experience. My dad's place of employment, which as of 3 months ago was Pepsi, just got bought out by Pepsico. They told their employees that some would stay and some would have to go. Well after 2 months of not knowing if he still had a job, he got the phone call that they wanted to offer him the part time position and only work him 5 hours a week. Yes only 5 hours a week. That means he would go from being full time and working at least 40+ hours a week to 5 hours a week. He is about to be 50 years old this year; is the only one working between him and my mother because of her health, and he helps take care of my grandmother, they have health insurance only because of his job that pays for my mother's medicine every month, and he has worked horrible hours for them with sometimes only one day off every week or after working 10 days straight. The point is that he is a very hard worker. He works hard because he knows that he and my mother cannot survive without his paycheck. He gave no reason they should demote him or keep him on at this current position. They very distastefully called him on the phone as of today while he was working and told him of this news. I mean speaking of not caring about employee morale and customer satisfaction. I am an educated woman with my bachelors degree in management and presently in grad school for my MBA in Human Resource Management and my husband is an active duty Marine. I am all about the business world and showing respect where respect is due because of these two aspects. I am not stupid so I know what they are up to. They are in hopes that offering him only 5 hours a week will get him to quit so they do not have to pay him severence pay or unemployment. They are pushing a man that has done nothing but devoted his entire last 6 years, and would have given them more if given the chance, right out the door. Which means no health care or money coming into my parents. Pepsico does not care about their employees or their customers, and if they did the treatment would state otherwise. If by chance they are wanting him to go because of downsizing then that is one thing. They should do so and with some respect to an employee that has worked for them for 6 years. They should have went about this a whole other way than what they did. I will never give them my respect after this. It sounds like to me they are trying to change up the company's strategy to meet goals and their vision statement which is great but they need to hire someone like me to help them do it because they obviously do not know what they are doing. Thanks Pepsico for doing a horrible job at taking care of your employees which by the way they and your customer base is what keeps your business going. Your business will not last if this continues. That is where you need to start when changing up the company. You will never add up to Coca-Cola at this rate. One more thing, he is going to apply at Coke to see if they can use his business because nothing would please him more than to be able to work against the very company that didn't want him. Coke's gain will be Pepsico's loss!!!