PeoplePC.comCharged for canceled account

C

I spoke to an online rep for Peoplepc and was told my account was canceled in October. I knew this couldn't be right since I didn't even sign up until November. I called and was told the same thing, that my account was canceled in October. I spoke to an online rep who canceled my account and gave me a confirmation #. I canceled before my billing date and guess what... I was charged 10.95. When I called and spoke to rep Rose, she told me she didn't see where I was charged, well I was looking right at in on my statement. She told be to call back in a few days for a refund. She would not let me speak to a supervisor. She put me on hold for several minutes. She would not give me an answer as to why they fraudulently charged me AFTER I canceled my account. Two reps have assured me that my account is canceled although I still have access to my account and it shows me as having my next billing date 1/18/2008. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND PEOPLEPC TO ANYONE, NOT EVEN THE 30 FREE TRIAL.

• Ba
    Barbara Bunch Dec 13, 2007

I have had home internet with PeoplePC.com and cancelled service on July 24, 2007. While going through my checking acct records noticed that they have continuously been taking the monthly charge out of my acct even though I cancelled my service with them.

I tried to contact them and was told that because I did not have the confirmation # of the cancellation that they would not be able to give me the funds back in full. They stated that they would only give me one month back. Then I was treated rudely and put on mute and not spoken to until I finally hung up the phone.

I called back and asked for supervisor and would not speak to anyone else. Still did not get appropriate refund and want everyone to know that PeoplePC.com is pulling the same scam that AOL once did.

• Sc
    Scott Johnson Dec 20, 2007

Have you tried to contact BBB to get some type of resolution regarding the matter? I think they would be a good mediator.

Pablo.

jodynelson Jan 09, 2008

I HAVE HAD A PEOPLEPC ACCOUNT FOR SEVERAL YEARS. WE HAVE CALLED TECHNICAL SERVICE WITH NO HELP. OUR OLD COMPUTER CRASHED SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. WE GOT A LAPTOP FOR CHRISTMAS AND WE ARE NOT GETTING PEOPLEPC EMAIL. WHEN I TRIED TO SEND A EMAIL, IT WOULD NOT EVEN SEND. fOR THESE FOUR MONTHS WE HAVE NOT HAD A COMPUTER WE HAD NOT MISSED A PAYMENT ASSUMING YOU WOULD CONTINUE OUR SERVICE. IF YOU WILL NOT GIVE US OUR OLD EMAIL, ADDRESS BOOK INFO THEN I EXPECT MONEY BACK IMMEDIATELY SO WE CAN GET A REPUTABLE SERVICE, A COMPANY THAT WILL HELP US GET BACK TO USING OUR ACCOUNT. i PAY BY BANK DRAFT. YOU HAVE THAT INFORMATION. CALL BOB OR JODY NELSON, 601 992-0387. I DO NOT WANT TO PUT ADDRESS ON EMAIL SINCE YOU SHOW COMPLAINTS. [email protected]

• Sh
    Sherry Lea Jan 17, 2008

I am not able to send my emails the way I have always been able to. mailer deamon keeps sending them back . These are address's I have used all along and now with this new progam PeoplePC they won't go through. This is rediculas. Can something be done about this. Mailer demon won't even respond to my emails. They just send them back. Are peoplepc in control of their own program or is someone else. And to think that I paid for a full year of service to this company. Maybe I should report this to AARP since they are representing this company. Whatever it takes to get this bug out of here so I can use my PC the way I would like to. I do not like being controled by some unknown DEMON!!! Since you sell addresses I will not put my full address here. I don't need any spam mail and anything junky. Thank you. Even tho I can hardly expect you to do anything as is it has been shown from above letters. At least I tried,.

Gordon C. Dean Feb 04, 2008

Please cancel my account with People PC. You may have another email address for me. That one is [email protected] Please confirm the cancellation of my account. Thank You.

Gordon C. Dean Feb 04, 2008

Please cancel my account with PeoplePC. Thank you.
    [email protected] and [email protected]

Gordon C. Dean Feb 04, 2008

Please cancel my account with People PC. Thank You.
    [email protected] and [email protected]

• Ds
    D. Smith Feb 12, 2008

I am another dissatisified peoplepc account holder. When peoplepc stole money from my account following my cancellation of peoplepc then denied accknowledgement of cancellation and refused to reimburse my account for "funds stolen", I decided the only safe dealing with crooks like these are none at all. Changing your credit card # is the only safe solution of dealings with these crooks!!!

• Wi
    william ballard Feb 19, 2008

I have been trying to speak to someone about cancelling my Peoplepc account. But to no avail. I would like to cancell. PLEASE!!!!. I have'nt used peoplepc for at least a year and I'm still being charged a monthly fee. Please cancell me out and send me a varification e-mail, Thank You.
    William Ballard

• Je
    jerry parker Feb 20, 2008

In the end of december 2007 I switched from AOL for a free (sure) 30 day trail offer. After two weeks and 50 headaches I called and told PPC I was going back to AOL and uninstalling PPC from my system which I did . Today Iwas billed on my phone bill for 13.45 and don't know why. It's not the money it's the huge companys getting over on the people that trust the sorry money-hungry turds to be nice as I can be here. Jerry Parker , COAL MINER . Van ,WV 25206 IT'S PEOPLE LIKE THAT IS WHY PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING IN THE STREETS IN THE RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. iPUT ALOT OF THE BLAME ON OUR GOVERNMENT AND mr. bush!!!

• Da
    Dawn Marie Mar 10, 2008

I was having computer issues a couple weeks ago and cancelled my cable high speed internet since I wasn't able to get online for such a long time. Their customer support couldn't seem to locate the problem so I cancelled. I took my computer to a shot to get "fixed" and was told there was no problem. I had a PeoplePC CD I received in the mail and opted to try that. It didn't work. The set up process "Failed." I called People PC through the 800 555 1212 and called whatever number I was giving. It was the sales department. I informed the gentleman who answered that I wasn't keen on giving my personal debit card information if I couldn't get online and that I tried the CD but it didn't work. I wanted to make sure it worked first before I pay. (In the past, it's been difficult to cancel service once you start paying...not only that, it's difficult to get them to stop charging you once you've cancelled). He informed me that he couldn't help me but that it wouldn't do much good to transfer me to tech support since they won't help me unless I'm a customer but that he would do it anyway. I asked him why he was going to transfer me there if they wouldn't help me. All I wanted to know was why I couldn't get connected to the internet through them. He told me three or four times to just give him my card number. I told him, "no, I don't want to give you that because why would I want you to charge me if I can't use your service?" He said, "Ma'am, it's ten bucks." This annoyed me because I'm sorry. I'm a student and single mom and ten bucks is A LOT OF MONEY for me and I don't appreciate the way he spoke to me. I told him he didn't need to be an ###, that all I wanted to do was to see why the CD wasn't working. Once it got me online, I'd be more than happy to give my card info. I just didn't want to keep getting charged for something that I wasn't able to use. He hesitated for a moment and then said, "F$#% off and don't ever call here again." Then he hung up. This bothers me still even though it was a couple weeks ago. I shouldn't have said he was being an ### to me but in turn he most certainly didn't have a right to be so rude and treat a potential customer like that. I find it hard to believe they were voted best customer service in 2006. Here it is 2008 and I would rather pay the $45 a month for service through the company that took the time to go through the set up process with me and figure out what was wrong then be treated like crap and just want money. People PC, you should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing your employees to behave in such a manner. I will NEVER go through you again and nor will my friends and family...

James Mauro Apr 10, 2008

Complaints on "PeoplePC"
    Read more complaints on this Company
    PeoplePC

P.O. Box 26909
    San Francisco, California
    Phone: 631-649-4393
    www.peoplepc.com

I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.

James Mauro Apr 10, 2008

• Wa
    wanda brown Apr 21, 2008

My experience with PEOPLE PC has been dreadful.I also contacted them through AARP-they readily sent me their cd to down-load, with in a couple of days I called in to cancel the service.I went with a local internet svc.I was given a cancelation #, I wrote it down on something that got got misplaced or thrown away, I didn't realize the need to keep up with it until I started to notice they were continueing to take their fee out of my checking acc.I called and spoke with a man named EARL-telling him what was happing with the people pc acc.My next bank statement, they still took out money out of my acc.I called again-speaking with another man(they all sound foreign)I went through all the riggamaro from the very start-he had the nerve to tell me they didn't give refunds, even though there was no activity on my acc.since Jan of 08-I sent in acomplaint to the consumer generals office, They e-mailed me back a appreciation letter. They assured me that they would check on the matter for me. Time will only tell if I get a refund or not.It has taught me a valueable lesson in keeping a record of of all transactions. I won't let this happen to me again.

• Ro
    Robert H. Clark, Jr. Jun 09, 2008

I have not been able to sent an e-mail for three months. You do not have any trouble debiting my account for monthly payment. I am fed up to my eye brows. I want this crap to cease. I want to send out e-mails without your present system. I am fed up verifying over and over again in that pop-up of yours without results. I expect a response from you in return saying the problem is solved

John S Brown Jun 10, 2008

I am being billed for $10.95 per month for an account that I do not have. The only solution is probably one more class action suit against PEOPLEPC.

• Ke
    kelly Jul 15, 2008

same exact proplem!

• Tr
    Tracy Jan 29, 2009

I agree with everyone. I have been cancelling my service for the last 2 years. I have done this over and over again. On Dec 22 2008 they charged me $54. For services I do not have. They also had a charge for $38. After 45 minutes on the phone with them my results were they would refund me $15. I would not recommend anyone use their services. I would rather do with out. I find it easier to use the library. I will not use any dial up service again. The time I did use the service I had very poor service. My internet was slow. I also experienced alot of freeze ups. I had high speed what a joke.

• Me
    Mettie Z Kennedy Feb 17, 2009

I would like to have my email addresses forwarded to [email protected] I lost all of them to peopelpc.com when my account was cancelled.

• Me
    Mettie Z Kennedy Feb 17, 2009

Was satisfied with peopelpc., but had to cut costs.

• Da
    Dat Kid Oct 16, 2009

Well we did it for 1 year and we cancaled and this summer when our internet went down (were using Quest now) we didnt get internet for a month. and today wen we checked our Saving Acc we had about a couple of thousands and then now we have in the hundreds and when we called them they said we cancaled it a long time ago and we are running out of money <(o.o<) ima sue them even if im only 14 IMA WIN!

• Nj
    NJBeckner Dec 28, 2009

I canceled and then got a threatining phone call saying that i needed to pay that my credit card was denied, i was paying by check from my checking account and they demanded a pay card.. yet my records show that they accepted my check, i advise no one to get involved with peoplepc. they are very poor and distressing to me. for all the problems i am contacting the http://easternmichigan.bbb.org/
    for the services i feel that i have been taken advantage of and this is completely illegal

• Ba
    Barbara Herring Feb 17, 2010

I canceled PeoplePC ...They then charged me again.. I went to their chat line Nov 11, talked with Alan, He then assured me that he had taken care of the problem and that the charges would be refunded to my card, and gave me a confirmation number.. Lo and be hold they charged me again..I went back online to their chat line on Jan 1 and talked to Shirley and went through the whole procedure again.. She then assured me everything was canceled..and gave me another confirmation number...I was charged again...I went back, talked to Ryan on Feb 1, Now I have three confirmation numbers that it has been canceled. I have copies of all three conversations. So what can I do? Who can I report them to.. If they are doing this to everyone... how much money are they stealing from us.?

• Co
    Cooldivide Mar 24, 2010

After writing to the State Attorney General in 2007... In Feb of 2010 I received a $60 check and an apology letter from PeoplePC for the fraudulent billing issues I encountered. It took them three years to resolve my issue. I had to make numerous complaints to the BBB and resort to having their State Attorney General go after them, which they suprisingly did. So after three years, I have FINALLY gotten my refund for the fraudulent charges by PeoplePC. My advice would be to stay FAR away from PeoplePC. There are plenty of other options out there for internet access.

• Ag
    AGrimm Jul 05, 2010

In July of 2009, I pre-paid for a year's worth of email account service. In June of 2010, I received an email stating my service was coming due so I called and canceled my account because I no longer need the email account. On June 30, 2010, I received a phone call from People PC stating that I had a bill of $4.05 that I needed to pay. Come to find out, because I did not wait until my pre-paid service was expired, I was being charged for the month and they supposedly reimbursed for the service I didn't use. I checked my bank account and did not receive any reimbursement. They called me daily to harass me for the money but I refused to pay it. I even spoke to the manager about it but they insisted I owed the money. Finally, I pulled up my bank information and found the exact date I paid for my service then called them back. At that point they were claiming that my year subscription didn't start until July 28, 2009. I then calmly stated that they pulled my payment out on July 4, 2009 for the year subscription, then in June I received an email stating that my subscription was due which I then called to cancel because I no longer wanted it, and finally when I did call and cancel that I was not informed that I would be reimbursed for service I didn't use and that I would owe money for the month. Only when I came across as more informed with dates and such were they willing to remove the balance from my account. Hopefully, I don't have any more issues but I went ahead and reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. I suggest everybody do this so that the FTC receives enough complaints to take criminal action. It may not resolve your direct situation but it will help others down the line. Upon further research, I discovered that the FTC already has forced People PC to pay $100, 000 for the product delivery service (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2002/08/peoplepc.shtm) so they are already familiar with this company's questionable business practices. Now it's our duty to continue informing the FTC about the scandalous business practices that People PC is still using. Who knows, they may force the company to close or something.

• Gw
    gwendolyn surratt Apr 03, 2013

i call to get pass word to set my call wave but i still could not get on line. i want to cancel my call wave. ihave not use it since i got the service turn on.

• Vi
    vivalasvegas Oct 18, 2013

PeoplePC charged me a late termination fee. They also keep pulling off your account after cancellation. I had to cancel my debit card.
    Another Horrible company so is NetZero I told them 3 times to cancel the fourth time I told the rep "you are not going to cancel my account are you" They kept saying we will give you 3 months free. I had to cancel my debit card again...