Panera Breadthe new tipping feature when checking out. it's got to go

L Review updated:

I use Panera a lot of catering my business lunches and I also go personally probably 3-4 times a month. I was taken back the last two times that I was there to find that on the credit card swipe machine, that there was now an option to leave a tip for the cashier.

I was in the food industry for 10 years and understand a respect the need for tipping. I don't agree with how and when this feature is being used, actually I don't think that it should be used at all. What exactly am I tipping for? This isn't a sit down restaurant where I'm being waited on. What ends up happening in my experience is the person behind the counter is there staring at you while you have to make this decision to either tip or to not tip. I have felt obligated in both instances to tip for this very reason when I don't agree with this new feature in the first place.

I love the food and the service at Panera, but this new feature of asking for tips at checkout has me thinking that I'm going to find someone else for lunch and catering. It's unnecessary. The workers at Panera do nothing more then any other fast food chain do, I'm perplexed why I'm not being asked for a tip.

Put out a jar.. it's less invasive.

• Ro
    roonie May 31, 2017

Sorry, but the new tipping procedure on the checkout screen is not a good idea... To avoid embarrasment i placed a tip reluctantly and do not feel that i will do this again. I do not believe a counter person who takes an order and does not put food on the table or provide service should not be tipped...I may not be back again.

• Ka
    Katherine8808 Sep 18, 2017

I've been going to Panera for several years and after swiping my payment, was prompted for a tip. Thanks, Panera, for guilting me into a tip prior to receiving any service. After getting under-cooked, still pink chicken on an order previously, I'm done. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

• Is
    Ishtar Is Not Home! Nov 01, 2017

Why is it that tips are requested only when paying with a card and not cash? And why do some locations ask for tips and other don't? And finally, why am I being asked for a tip BEFORE the service has been provided? I felt guilty at first but not now but then received the wrong order. When that was straightened out I got the wrong side. Too much inconsistency!

• Je
    Jesusjones Nov 02, 2017

This was so annoying in fact, that while still in Panera, I googled "Panera tips" to see if I was alone. I'm not tipping BEFORE I get a service in an industry (chain deli's that are in denial they're fast-food) that is already overcharging.
    Definately did not tip and makes the whole place look a lot less classy.

• De
    Deion123415 Nov 20, 2017

They are asking their customer to supplement their employees wages so they can pocket more money at the top. Look how much the CEO makes and share holders.

• I2
    I275Fl Apr 20, 2018

If it was a full service sit down restaurant with waitress service such as Denny's, Village Inn or IHOP then I would tip. For a restaurant where you go to the counter to place and pick up your order like Panera, you do not tip and you should not be expected to leave a tip. But I agree, Panera asking you to leave a tip - especially when you are paying by credit or debit card - amounts to a customer being strong armed into leaving a tip. After all, you wouldn't leave a tip at a fast food restaurant like McDonald's or Burger King?

Marlon Arevalo Dec 16, 2018

The have stolen almost $30 by using that stupid tip feature... they should be sued..

• Ka
    Kaylaf Feb 05, 2019

I find this invasive and unnecessary. As a former waitress i strongly believe in tips.. when they’re earned! Are we going to be expected to tip the cashier at Walmart next? This is rediculous

• Be
    BEnchboy Feb 05, 2019

IF you don't want to tip then don't tip. They should not take it down because of one person's wishes.

• Jd
    jdeann May 06, 2019

Why am I being asked to tip when I am doing all the work...Getting my food, getting my drink and putting away my food. I was a server for 5 years and made 2.35 an hour, of course you are asked to tip, but I am creating a pleasant experience for my customers and doing all the work. Why is Panera bread not paying their workers accordingly and why am I being shamed into tipping for Panera not doing their job as a corporation. I don't tip by the way, but it strikes a nerve every time I'm asked. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be going here...I don't care how much my kid likes their mac and cheese..

• We
    Wendy Greene Sep 22, 2019

How can so many people be offended by an option? If you feel so convicted don't tip. The cashier won't know one way or another. The tipping is done primarily by regulars that appreciate the warm greetings, someone walking past the table to check on them and cleaning up their dishes and trash. People who find those extras not worth tipping for most likely don't come in often enough to make a difference anyway. So again, if you are so put off by giving the option to show your appreciation for someone doing a little over than what normal fast food chains do, than don't. But I believe the option is here to stay.

• Ev
    Everywhere Oct 23, 2019

Wow, look at all the delicate, tender people on this thread, claiming they are intimidated into tipping or are prone to feeling of childish rage, just because of a effin' tip feature. Look, put your big adult undies on and if you don't want to tip THEN DON'T TIP! The reason they don't use a tip jar is because !. most people use plastic and 2. tip jars get stolen by customers too often.

• Ca
    Cami Phillips Jan 08, 2020

Today I went to Panera...I forgot they now have a tip option, even on a 2.50 ice tea...the funny ting is the young register girl pointedly stared at me while I signed my cc purchase...bc she did so I widen my eyes and acted surprised that I was being asked to tip for a drink I was gong to go fill myself and put my plastic lid and straw in. Every bit of my body language communicated...your out of your mind for even asking! I hoped this young person learned something tonight maybe at least something to ponder on lately I hope.