Complaints & Reviews

Overstock.comPurchase of item

I purchased a diamond set of earings $700. I received an empty parcel. The parcel had not been tampered with, it was sealed appropriately, there was just nothing inside. An empty carton. My invoice was attached to the outside. Upon contacting overstock several times- I have repeatedly been told they are investigating the issue. DO NOT BUY GOODS FROM THIS COMPANY. SCAM! BEWARE OF ALL ON-LINE PURCHASES.

• Overstock.com's response · May 28, 2012

Helllo ewww!, We apologize for any inconvenience caused and would like to get a better understanding of the situation. Would you please email your order information to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

Overstock.comOne of the worst online shopping experiences i've ever had

I placed an order on the morning of Friday 12/16. I followed up on my order on Tuesday 12/20 because the status online said “PROCESSING”. I was told by a customer service rep that it would be shipped the next day and I would receive my order no later than 12/23 (it was being shipped from a warehouse less than 100 miles from my home). I checked the status again today, 12/22 and the status had not changed. I called and reached another customer service rep. She said that she would contact the warehouse and call me back 20 minutes later.

I called the customer service number an hour later and reached another service rep. I asked for the previous service rep that promised to call me back. . . . . .there were no notes on the account and the customer service rep said she had never heard of the person I had spoke to earlier. This service rep told me there was nothing we could do.

I called the service department once again, one hour later, to work toward resolution. I was able to connect with the original customer service rep that I was waiting to hear from and she informed me that it was a hand made item that was made to order and that they were not in the warehouse due to their custom nature. . . . that “my” product was going to be made for “me”, therefore it would not be shipped for 10 days. She did do something nice and offer me $10 of instore credit. She said if I decided to cancel the order I could call her back. I agreed and hung up reluctantly.

I shopped for five minutes and found the same product on Amazon.com with an option for 2 day shipping. I called the customer service number once again, reached a different customer service rep who informed me that cancelling my order was not an option because the order had gone through to the warehouse. . . . . wait a second. . . I thought it had not even been made yet. . . . . I asked to be connected to the original rep and did not care how long I had to hold.

Ten minutes later I was connected to the original customer service rep who back tracked and said that they magically had found it in the warehouse (yeah the custom made thing was bs) and they would ship it as soon as possible but she would remove my instore credit that she had so graciously given me “for all the trouble”. Regardless of whether this magical shipping works or not, never using these guys again. One of the worst online shopping experiences I’ve ever had. Amazon.com all the way folks.

• Overstock.com's response · May 08, 2012

Hello Overale, We apologize for any inconvenience caused and would like to make this right with you. Would you please email your order information to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

Overstock.comDefective furniture

Buyer beware of buying furniture (oversize items) from Overstock.com! I recommend that you never buy any furniture that you cannot return locally. When I first received the dining set, the table had large spots from a poor varnishing job. The company first tried to offer me some paint or extra varnish so I could try to cover it up. No amount of varnish would have fixed the obvious flaws. Overstock than agreed to ship me another table. Unfortunately after just 6 months, the table's veneer sides started peeling off. By just brushing against it, the veneer started breaking off leaving splinters in my arm and my leg. The rep said there was no way to tell if it was a manufacturing defect or regular wear and tear. There are only 2 people in my household and a new table should not start falling apart after just 6 months. They said they would ship me another table if I paid another $400 but they would take $100 off. Instead of taking the risk again, I opted for the $100 refund. I paid $800 for the dining set originally. Also, I do believe the company prevents bad reviews from being posted on their website, furthering misleading the consumer.

• Overstock.com's response · Feb 08, 2012

Hello SAS Camarillo, We apologize for any inconvenience caused and would like to further look into this for you. Would you please send your order information to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

Overstock.comBait and switch

I wanted to buy a Cuisinart stainless steel cookware set from Overstock.com . There was a price of $ 249 with a red slash through it for the 17piece set. The ad said you had to put the item in your ‘cart’, then go to checkout to find out the sale price. I was outraged. (You should not have to go to checkout to find a ‘sale’ price or any price of an item.) I did go to the checkout location, just to see what they were up to…the price listed there was $249. I contacted their chat line (customer service). I said the posted indication of a ‘sale’ price listed in the ad was duplicitous. There was a kind of, ”Oops, Sorry’, from Overstock …Guess what? The sale was over. No mention of the sale being over in their ad.They said they would correct the error.

The same day, a few minutes later, I returned to Overstock.com to look at another Cuisinart stainless cookware set (this time I think it was the 10, 11 or 15 piece set…I am sorry I was so angry I don’t quite remember). Low and behold the price was crossed out with a red slash. The item was supposedly on sale.You were told, yet again, to go to checkout to find out this ‘phantom price’. Again at checkout the price indicated was not a sale price but the full price which had had the red slash through it. I guess the sale was over, but the customer cannot find that out until he, or she, goes to checkout. Can a company advertise an item, without the correct price..suggesting a sale…when a sale is over? Can they refuse to put a price on an item they offer for to the customer…the sale price of which will only be given at checkout?. Aren’t companies required to change a sale price as soon as an item is no longer for sale?I think this is customer fraud. I do not think that ‘bait and switch is legal’.

If you advertise a sale price and don’t update to the actual price…in my state (NJ) you have to give the customer the item at the sale price or give the customer a ‘rain check’ to get the item, at the sale price, at some later date. In my state you cannot hold the price of an item ‘hostage”. Imagine going into a clothing shop for an advertised sale. Imagine going to the sale rack and all of the prices have been crossed out. The instructions say to see the sales clerk at the register to obtain the ‘sale’ price. You go the register only to find out, even though the prices on the clothes indicate a sale, there is actually no sale.

I do not think this is an isolated practice for Overstock. It is hard to believe that two items have the same ‘bait and switch’ problem at the same time. What are the odds?

Please look to this. The customer is really ending up on the wrong end of the stick here. I know you want only quality and fairness on Google. I hope you will give your prompt attention to this matter.

Overstock.com, Inc.| Headquarters
        6350 S. 3000 East – Salt Lake City, UT 84121

• Overstock.com's response · Dec 19, 2011

Hello Angry in NJ, We apologize for any inconvenience caused and would like to discuss the issue further. Would you mind sending your order/contact information to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

• Td
            td577 Dec 19, 2011

While this behavior is probably not legal, it is not "bait and switch". Learn the terminology before you start ripping a company. They deserve a complaint but you must make sure it is the right complaint.

Overstock.com — Internet scammers

Do not buy from these crooks. I foolishly placed an order with these people. They sent me a completely...

Overstock.comheld funds for order cancelled

I cancelled an order on a rug that I placed immediately after I had placed the order. When I received the confirmation that the order had been cancelled, I thought nothing of it until I realized that they drafted the money out of my account anyways. No problem. I understand. What I don't understand is why it's been a week and they still have not returned my money. I have called their customer support and every time I get the runaround..."oh let me make a note of it... I will have to get our support team to contact you back at such-and-such time... Lies, lies, lies. I still haven't gotten a refund and when I called my cc company, they were told by overstock that the transaction is pending??? This is rediculous. I am a graduate with a degree in finance and let me tell you that these businesses do this purpously so that they can earn interest (I. E. Free money) off of you for as long as they can get away with it. I will never shop on overstock.com. Their discounts aren't any better than other places on the internet. I am reporting this place to the bbb if I don't see my funds within the next 24 hours.

• Overstock.com's response · Sep 21, 2011

Hello consumer-watchdog-xtraordinaire, Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused. Usually when orders are cancelled, a pre authorization hold is held. If you would like to speed up the process with the hold being removed; we would be more than happy to place a conference call with your bank. Please email your order information to [protected]@overstock.com. Thank you!

Overstock.comI've never had an order from overstock that was not entirely screwed up

I've never had an order from Overstock that was not entirely screwed up. First I ordered a leather upholstered king-sized bed. It took 2.5 months to arrive; I was expecting about 5 weeks based on the website. it had a nick in the corner, and i was told I would have to pay freight to return it, then they would credit my account up to $25 (my estimates were $125 shipping, a $100 loss for me.)

I ordered three rugs. four weeks later I was told one was out of stock. the other two arrived, but were the wrong color. The CS rep initially tried to tell me this is what I ordered, then told me maybe I was color blind. ultimately they arranged to pick up the wrong rug and had the new one to me quickly. I appreciated that part, but the mix-up was just a hassle. funny to me was the CS who initially asked me to "pack it up and take it to the nearest UPS." I was like...the rug is bigger than me. I also laughed at the image of me driving my sports car with the top down and a big-### rug sticking over the top of the passenger seat.

i've ordered other items here and there...often without issue. But too often descriptions are wrong and I've had to return an item. I once ordered a Bombay style chest with a marble top. The chest arrived. No marble. Cute as hell though. Not worth the price. I was told to ship it back and I would be reimbursed. I told the CS rep...I'd just keep it and save the hassle...and never order there again.

and...I never will. DONE.

• Overstock.com's response · Sep 20, 2011

Hello Gelifane, We're so sorry for any inconvenience caused and would like to discuss the issue further. At your convenience, please email your contact information to [protected]@overstock.com. Thank you!

Overstock.comHidden negative reviews about poor quality merchandise

A few weeks ago I purchased a Mason Kay 14k Yellow Gold Black Jadeite 'Endless Knot' Necklace for $113. The chain was so weak that it broke within the first 2 weeks I had it. I contacted Customer Service and asked for a refund since I was within the warranty period. The chain is too flimsy for the pendant and it will always break, so repair would only be a short term solution. I was told that they would only gove me a refund IF the chain is irrepairable. I then posted a negative review 3 times to warn others about this necklace. My review was never posted at all. I no longer trust them, as I wonder how may other reviews they have hidden from the public just so they can make a sale. Hiding information from the Public is dishonest!!!

• Overstock.com's response · Jul 22, 2011

Hello Marym123, we apologize for any inconvenience caused and would like to discuss the issue further. Would you mind sending your contact/order info to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

Overstock.comCrock of lies

I bought some thing one year for christmas it only can out to $25 and I was told by them I could pay half one month and the other half the next month which I was glade because im unemployed so I payed half of he bill $15 and when I got a bill to pay the other half $10 I was charged a bunch of fees so I called them and told them I was told I could pay half one month and the other half the next month well I she was rude and she was gving a number and told me to call it. So I payed the other $10 I owed them and called them only 3 day later and I was told its too late was giving to collection and now they want me to pay the $150

• Overstock.com's response · Jun 21, 2011

O no! Wewould like to make this issue right with you! At your earliest convenience, please email your contact/order information to [protected]@overstock.com! Thank you!

• Overstock.com's response · Jun 22, 2011

Hello MissElvira, was there something we can assist you with? Our main focus here at Overstock.com is to have the best customer service in the nation and we would like to show you that we truly care for our customers!

• Mi
                    MissElvira Jun 21, 2011

This isn't the first i see a complaint about Overstock. I had always been cautious of them and not used them. Now I know not to for sure.

Overstock.com — Doesnt honor warranty

been over 2 months bought for gift for christmas with planium plus warranty broke in march they claim up...

OverstockRude, sarcastic customer service

I ordered a mattress at overstock. com. I called them to check on the delivery. The lady on the phone said sarcastically that she couldn't understand a word of what I was saying (Except the word mattress!). Yes I have an accent but usually people understand me very well. After repeating all the information needed, she then told me that she couldn't answer my question because the order was under my husband's name. I find it very disturbing that I was told by " a customer care representative" that my english is not understandable...
                  I will never order from overstock again!

• Overstock.com's response · Sep 28, 2012

Hello Ahmedgeek, Thank you for your post. We would be happy to assist you today! Would you please send your order/contact information to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

• Ov
                      overstock sucks Jul 03, 2011

If you want the absoulute worst products and service buy from overstock been dealing with problem since febuary after 2 months of calling finally send replacement that was broken.I had platnum plus protection what a joke.They lost my return took weeks of geting run around just to recive broken camera.I cant evan print out return label now have to wait for them to mail one.Dont buy they lie.

• Ah
                      Ahmedgeek Sep 27, 2012

I bought a diamond ring from the site about 3 month ago and the ring was sent wrongly to another address and I got another plastic stuff, I asked for a refund after returning the wrong product but still so far no refund has been made even after months of contacting.

• Ah
                      Ahmedgeek Oct 11, 2012

i sent email but still no reply

Overstock.comI didn't understand all the conditions of overstock.com's protection policy

I purchased a Fuji Finepix F700 digital camera from overstock.com in March of 2005, for a discounted price along with the Platinum Protection warranty.

The camera was perfect until December when the display was black and showed no picture.

Since I purchased the warranty for just an occasion, I sent the camera into the center. A few days later, I received a call, and I was told that my camera could not be fixed and that I would be sent a check for $170.00. That was the full amount of the reimbursement even though I had spent $269.00 on the camera. I was later informed that the warranty calculated depreciation in reimbursement.

I feel that the terms of this warranty plan are misleading and that I got ripped off by overstock.com.

• Jk
                        JKDE Mar 15, 2011

According to Overstocks site:

"When you call to make a claim with your Platinum Protection Plan offered by Overstock.com, you will be asked a few questions to best determine if trouble shooting can help, or if the product is broken. If the product is broken, a prepaid label will be emailed to you so you can send in your product, or you will be set up with a service center in your area. If your item is not able to be repaired, an in-store credit will be issued to your account for the purchase price of your item so that you are able to buy a replacement of your choice."

It seems like that is the only way to get full price. You said they sent you a check. Did you not want the in-store credit for the full purchase price? Nothing is mentioned about depreciation.

• Po
                        pobarjenkins Mar 16, 2011

Why should you be completely reimbursed for a six year old camera?

Overstock.comScam

I ordered curtains from overstock.com and tried to cancel before they were shipped but was too late. When I received them in the mail I returned them immediately without even opening the box they were shipped in. Upon return, overstock initially refunded the price (less cost of shipping) then sent another email and said they deducted $40 more because there were hairs in the package. I called them and said I didn't even open the package and the CS person "Jessica" was almost laughing when she told me that they could not restock the item due to hairs. Again, I did not even open the box it was shipped in. I have seen other posts where overstock has said there were hairs in the returns. Has anyone ever seen the proof of these "hairs"? I think this is a scam that they are pulling, especially the way "Jessica" was responding to my call. Does anyone know of any class action suits against overstock?

• Overstock.com's response · Nov 04, 2011

Hello Jo Ann, We apologize for any inconvenience caused and would like to further discuss the issue. Would you mind sending your order/contact information to [protected]@overstock.com? Thank you!

Jo Ann Nov 03, 2011

I purchased a Seiko watch in May, which quit working in June. I paid over $300 for this watch, now they are saying I must have the original packaging in order to return the watch for a service guarantee repair. Since I have owned several Seiko watches and none of them quit working in a couple of months, it never occured to me to save the box.

• Th
                          theredheart Feb 12, 2012

This is where if you bought it with a credit card you could have charged back against them. It is something some of us do not like to do, meaning use a credit card but over a debit card the credit card companies take fraud very seriously as it is the main cost of doing business for them, As well when a company gets many charge backs they are charged more for each offense on there merchant account.

• Ds
                          Dstrazz40 Mar 05, 2018

I purchased a set of Cusinart Chef Stainless Steel 14pc Cookware Set back in July of 2016. Paid for the the cookware and never purchased another item from Overstock since. I haven't even made an inquiry. Early October 2017, I receive I bill in the mail from Overstock, telling me I owe them almost $75... For what? They (Christopher) explained it was for late fees. Again... I asked, for what? "for the annual fee (of $50)" But I haven't purchased anything from you and I never received a bill. They "sent it via email". Noooo. I never received anything. I asked them (asked for a manager) to be reasonable. Absolutely NO flexibility on their end. I made several calls and asked them to do the right thing by the consumer. I've written letters. I have never dealt with a retailer that is so hardcore. Never again. I'm going to write to everyone I can if I can't get this mess resolved within the next 2 days.

Overstock.comScam in returns - never use overstock

After ordering curtains and changing my mind, I waited for them to be delivered so I could return them. I received the package and did not open it. I returned it the same day. Initial email from overstock said they would credit my account less shipping charge. Received another email where they said the warehouse found a "hair" inside the package so they were keeping $40 of the purchase price. I called them and Jessica was almost laughing when she told me she was looking at a picture and the package was full of hair so they would not give me full credit. I asked to speak to a manager and she left me on hold for over 10 minutes and I hung up and emailed overstock the situation and never heard anything back. There are quite a few posts about "hairs" in packages that are returned to overstock. I think it is a scam. Anyone else experience the same disgusting treatment? NEVER use overstock.

Overstock.comCharging funds for no product

Ordered a jacket from Overstock.com for $149.99 and 2 days later received an Email from them stating there was an inventory problem and that they would credit my account (which had not been billed yet). The following day I was billed $149.99 from Overstock.com. I IM'd their customer no-service dept and they stated they had measures in place to prevent this from happening but there was an error... They stated my account would be credited in 3-5 business days...

I have worked in the banking industry for nearly 20 years and I know it does not take 3-5 business days to transfer funds back into an account...

I will be calling the bank to have the funds reapplied to my account without the credit from Overstock.com.

I will NEVER buy from them again and suggest anyone else thinking about purchasing from them to BEWARE of the billing practices!

Overstock.com — Refund policy

I ordered slipcovers from Overstock.com for a sofa, chair and ottoman. They arrived in a timely manner but...

Overstock.comService sucks

I've used Overstock on a several occasions but will not be using them ever again. I recently ordered two items from them. A back pack and a watch. My credit card was immediately charged but my order was "in processing" for almost five days when I logged int to my Overstock account. . Funny how the process to take your dough is almost instantaneous but the delivery of said product... not so much.

I was patient for a few days... then I finally got an email telling me that mu items were shipping(tracking numbers and all). One item shipped UPS and the other Fed-ex. Whatever, as long as i get it. Now mind you, I ordered with the hope that I would get my items about ten days. Sound familiar? The original arrival date was the 2nd of Nov. for one item and the 1st for the other. I was fine with the item on the 1st but I was not going to be here to receive the item on the 2nd. I then logged into see where the items where and I noticed that they still had not shipped. I talked to some one at overstock and told them the 2nd would be too late and since the item has not shipped yet that I would like to cancel the order. She told me that it was out of her hands and that I should contact Fed-ex. this made no sense to me since Overstock still had the item in the warehouse and the item had not shipped.

So I contacted Fed-ex and they were very helpful (as usual for them). The item was returned (once it was shipped) back to Overstock. I then contacted Overstock in regards to a refund and they told me it would be 3 to 5 days. No biggie. When I logged back in today to Overstock to see when the other item was going to be delivered I noticed that Overstock reshipped the item in question. Have no idea why.

I again contacted Overstock and explain the situation. I was told that the item is on its way to me (even though it was already returned once). At this point I was super frustrated. I was told that the item shipped out again because it was never cancelled. I told that I did cancel it and returned it. They admitted that THEY didn't cancel it.

I asked the rep (Geoff) how that could be my fault. He said it wasn't but that I had to returned the item again to get my money back. (Even though I had already done this once). He told me to contact Fed-ex to see what they could do. Frustration factor is very high by now. The guy at fed-ex couldn't do anything cause Overstock uses a Smart-post system. So the post office will deliver my item to the usual spot where I get my mail. So its not Fed-ex delivering but the mailman.

Great! So the mailman will just leave the box outside. Its happened before and im sure this time wont be any different. Since Im traveling for the next two months I wont be able to return it. So im stuck with something i don't want and those jerks at overstock have my money.

Don't use them unless you absolutely have to... and then use another vendor. They are inept and horrible at customer care. I just happen to google "overstock customer service" and got a ton of negative reviews from various websites... should have done this before I used them.

Overstock.comService stinks

OverstockReturn department scam

I recently purchased a 10 piece bedding set from overstock.com, and when I received it, the material was so stiff I felt I had no choice but to wash it before using. After the first washing (according to the manufacturer's suggestion on the tag), the black piping on the outer edge ran into the whie comforter, and the corners of the pillow shams all split. I called the customer service department and was greeted with a rude and uninterested rep. After explaining to her the problem, I was told I would be paying for shipping on the return. Excuse me? Fine. I spent $200 on a set that I could now not use, so losing $20 on shipping would have to do.

After they received the order back, they marked my return as used, and took off an additional amount, so my total refund was less than half of what I paid for the set. When I called to ask about this, and to explain that, based on my original complaint, it was not "used" but rather washed once, they refused to do anything else for me.

I am extremely disapointed in overstock.com, and will never purchase from them again. I would suggest that everyone else avoid them, as well.

Overstock.com / Soap OrderFailure to deliver or explain

Ordered Euro soap from Overstock.com. They charged my credit card. They notified my order shipped via UPS. UPS notified me that they got the electronic order and should have my package by Sept. 10. It is Sept 15 and still no Order. I attempted to track the order through UPS without success. I contacted Overstock.com, but they did not respond. I contacted UPS by email numerous times. They finally responded that I gave them an invalid tracking number. I sent UPS their own email with the tracking number. UPS told me to contact Overstock.com about the order, and denied getting the delivery. Overstock.com has not responded to even more emails. Sounds like this company is about to go into bankruptcy.
                                  DON'T BUY FROM OVERSTOCK.COM