Menu

OUTsurance review: extremely unhappy

L
Author of the complaint
10:43 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recently claimed for the loss of a ring CLAIM:[protected], was initially given an approved claim for half the value of my ring! After much arguing with the Manager @ Outsurance they revised the claim to the full amount! Further ot this I was advised that I had 2 choose one of their service providers i.e. Hyper Jewellers, a budget jeweller and Arthur Kaplan, a very expensive, overpriced jeweller! I requested to be paid out as I was unable to find a replacement equivalent to my loss. I was informed that Outsurance reserved the right to choose how to settle a claim and I had no option but to use one of their service providers as they do not settle in cash! This has left me disadvantaged as a consumer as I am unable to shop around for an item with equivalent gold and spec of diamonds that I had. I would have to settle for a lower grade of diamonds just so that Outsurance secures a discount form the jeweller & not me! I have to pay the full retail price @ their supplier! As a consumer, the Consumer Protection Act allows me the freedom of choice and states that terms & conditions on contracts must be in plain language and in this instance I should have been notified clearly that in the event of a claim for the two specific items of jewellry on my policy, I would be restricted to use a service provider chosen by Outsurance i.e. Hyper Jewellers & Arthur Kaplan Jewellers, that I would have to pay the full retail price of the item as the discount is passed onto Outsurance and that I would not be paid out in cash! If I was aware of these terms & conditions, I would not have used Outsurance. My policy only has three items on it, so I should have been informed of the hidden terms and conditions for claims on my insured jewellry! I was told to approach the Ombudsman, which I have done. I am extremely disappointed with Outsurance as I thought they were the best choice for short term insurance! I asked to be paid out so that I could choose my jeweller and obtain an item equivalent to the value of my loss or I asked for them to pay out to my choice of jeweller. Can u assist me in this matter?

More OUTsurance complaints & reviews

OUTsurance - cancellation of policy is an absolute nightmare
OUTsurance - claim
OUTsurance - hockingly bad service
OUTsurance - business insurance quotation survey
3 comments
C
Jul 18, 2017 6:48 am EDT

Dear Leanne Moodley
We empathize with your loss and fully understand your frustrations.
Our experience has shown that only with THOROUGH documentation can you receive like for like in an event of a claim. Our company CentralDiamondAdministration (CDA) is a professional valuation company that has qualified diamond graders and accredited jewellery professionals. Our valuation reports are in-depth reports, versus the one page valuation reports that you get from jewellers.
Together with this, we understand the pitfalls in an insurance contract and inform and advise our clients on what to look out for when insuring their jewellery as it is often only at a time of a claim that people realize the pitfalls.
Our response to your complaint is an effort to start creating awareness among consumers.
If we can offer any advise and service that may assist in your claims process, do contact us. Our website details are : www.centraldiamondadmin.co.za

S
Feb 21, 2017 2:21 pm EST

ID NO.[protected] .I AM VERY UNHAPPY as the way my claim is being dealt with. They are making as if I am lying about my son's phone being stolen. They have even handed it to an assessor. They need to check my ITC police no mtn no speak to my son plus plus other checks. They are basically saying I am lying for my claim . I have got other claims so what. I pay every month. How dare they do what they are doing. I have my home and two cars with them as well. I do not want a manager of the department as they all working together. I want a senior manager that I am still waiting for one to call me. I am totally disgusted at the way they have treated me and will not continue with them after this incident. I am lying about the phone. Mmm we will see whose been lying. They have started with the wrong person. Wake up outsurance. U still going to lose a lot of people with this terrible attitude and treating your clients this way.

L
Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Good day Leanne Moodley, I am the client relations manager at OUTsurance. I am acknowledging receipt hereof. Your complaint has already been discussed with senior management. I hereby want to provide you with feedback on the matter. Our contract clearly states that we as your insurer reserve the right to indemnify you in the following ways:
- Paying out cash to you
- repairing the damage at a repairer of our choice
- replacing the item at a supplier of our choice
This is clearly set out in your policy contract with us. We therefore are satisfied that the credit line extended to you at Arthur Kaplan for your ring was sufficient for you to replace it with a similar one. Regards Lisa Schultz [protected].

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

128 complaints