New York Sports Club [NYSC]unauthorized credit card charges/billing

A Nov 01, 2018 Review updated:

I frequent the NYSC 23rd Street location a lot. Knowing it's now (as of recent) an "elite" location, I confirmed with a manager and had him go through my account to ensure that it was included in my corporate passport membership. The manager confirmed that it was a part of my membership and I assured me that I was not going to be charged any fees to continue working out at that location.

Having obtained confirmation from a manager that elite locations were included in my membership I continued to use that gym throughout the spring and summer of this year.

As I'm checking over my credit card bill, I see three $20 charges (=$60) from different times I visited this location in September. I called and spoke to someone at the front desk and they told me that apparently, my membership doesn't cover elite locations and that I needed to upgrade to a Corporate Elite membership or $79/mo. They said the manager who misinformed me was no longer at that location and they couldn't do anything about the wrong information and he had given me, which means this company as a whole has no accountability for the kind of information they give to their customers so that we continue to use their elite locations and they can then over charge us.

The person from the NYSC 23rd street location said they were "trying to help people" by processing refunds but however NYSC Corporate Headquarters was rejecting all refund requests for this matter and telling the staff to have people upgrade their memberships instead. This is beyond unprofessional and unfair from a corporation to do this to their customers. They are taking advantage of people and there is no accountability for it from anyone...managers, staff or corporate headquarters.

If you take a look at their google reviews online you can see multiple people complain about the same issue. It is evident this is a scam and something should be done about it.

Thank you for your time.

• Ol
    OlgaKal Nov 03, 2018

I totally agree with your comment. I have been reporting unauthorized changers since May 2018 with no resolution and no response from managers on 93rd and 3rd avenue NYC club. In addition, they reported me collection agency that I have to deal with now in addition to unauthorized changers on my cc.
    I would suggest class action towards NYSC since they are so many complains of fraudulent charges and unethical behavior of managers, lack of response to customer requests and ignoring fraudulent billing reports and complaints.