Having problems with Nelnet?

Nelnet reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 7, 2009. The latest review Total disability loan forgiveness was posted on Sep 24, 2021. The latest complaint destroyed my credit report was resolved on Jan 11, 2014. Nelnet has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 58 reviews. Nelnet has resolved 24 complaints.

Nelnet Customer Service Contacts

+1 888 486 4722 (Customer Service)
+1 303 696 3625 (International)
P.O. Box 82561

Mail Accounts Starting With An "D" To:
Nelnet, P.O. Box 2970, Omaha, NE 68103-2970

Mail Accounts Starting With A "J" To:
Nelnet, P.O. Box 2877, Omaha, NE 68103-2877

Documents Related To Deferment, Forbearance, Repayment Plans, Or Enrollment Status Changes
Attn: Enrollment Processing, P.O. Box 82565, Lincoln, NE 68501-2565
Fax: +1 866 545 9196

Documents Related To Loan Discharge, Forgiveness Claims & Bankruptcy Claims
P.O. Box: 82505, Lincoln, NE 68501-2505
Fax: +1 303 696 5518

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Nelnet Customer Service. Initial Nelnet complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Nelnet above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Nelnet. Discuss the issues you have had with Nelnet and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Nelnet Complaints & Reviews, Page 2

Nelnet — student payments

Last December I decided to consolidate my 3 student payments. I research it and decided to go with Nelnet...

Nelnetnelnet, giving away my phone number

I got in contact with Nelnet. They asked me for my phone number so I did. Now I'm getting dozens and dozens of phone calls from strangers. Nelnet was the only one I have given my phone number to. Is this company a legitimate company? Did they get my info from the Dept. of Education? I don't even remember their address. They are taking my payment automatically from my bank account. I will appreciate any information you can give.

Nelnetpayments

I have student loans that have been consolidated by Nelnet. I have been paying on them without the balance going down. I have tried different things like making payments twice a month. I was told that I am charged $13 a day in interest. My November payment was received November 4. $18 went to principal balance. My December payment was received December 2 and $83 went to principal balance. Since they were only 2 days apart, there should only be $26 difference, right? Some months had $0 go to principal and other months $100. There is no consistency. What is going on?

Nelnetcredit report

All my loans were dismissed because I am Totally Disabled. I have paper work showing a zero balance from Arizona Higher Education Loan Authority and Federal Student Aid. But on my Credit Report it shows the loans active..I have contacted Nelnet (which bought the loans last year).. WHAT A RUN AROUND YOU GET AND KNOW ONE HAS A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON!!!... I also contacted ASA, ACS, SAME THING..
      I even talked with two Supervisors SAME THING... I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON A CALL FOR 2 WEEKS FROM THE FINANCE REP... THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER A MONTH!!!

• Fr
          Fred314 Jun 02, 2014

Your credit score/report is only important if you are trying to borrow money. You have established that you have no ability to pay, so I can't imagine who us going to loan you money.

• Fr
          Fred314 Jun 02, 2014

Your credit score/report is only important is you are trying to borrow money. You have established that you have no ability to pay, so I can't imagine who us going to loan you money.

Nelnet — destroyed my credit report

My Complaint to Nelnet; To whom it may concern, I currently have a student with Nelnet. My original loan...

Nelnet — not awarding mvp certificates

I'm trying to pay off some loans and have 10 MVP (Most Valuable Payer) certificates worth a total of...

Nelnetunauthorized charge

Unauthorized charge issue: I was ahead of the game on my payments, so before my trip to europe - I cancelled my auto - pay. I came home to find out a week after I cancelled... They changed policies and charged my account. They did not carry over what I had authorized on my account to their new policy, they also did not give 30 days notice - not even a weeks notice!!! I called to complain and the person said there was nothing they could do. I asked to speak to their boss, they said they didn't have one. I asked if they hired themself, they said no... Obviously... Long story short, I am going through the annoyance of having to dispute with my bank, which ended up giving me an over - draft fee because of this unauthorized charge. What a nightmare. This must be illegal!!!

Nelnet — working for nelnet

You think these idiots mess up your accounts? Try working for them. In my opnion they discriminate and the...

Nelnetasking me to pay for another person

Nelnet sent me a letter asking for payments on the loan of someone I do not know, but who shares my last name and first initial. I have recently gotten many debt collection phone calls and another letter for this individual. So, I called Nelnet and asked for my phone number and address to be deleted from the system, and I was told that was being done. In addition, I asked for contact information for the service that gave my phone number to Nelnet and that matched my phone number with my address. I want to call the service so I can stop it from giving out my information and so stop the harassment. Nelnet refused to give me any information about the service.

• Th
              thisman Oct 31, 2012

Google these and become an informed consumer
              1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
              2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
              3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
              4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
              5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick

Nelnet — payment methods

Nelnet will not accept wire transfers for loan payment. As an expatriate living in Europe Nelnet has gone out...

Nelnetnelnet profiting from middle class people

I am writing this to all the professionals with an outstanding graduate/undergraduate student loan. I am a responsible hard working professional paying my hefty ~$75, 000 graduate loan every month. I am finding out more and more that I am among hundred of thousands of people getting royally ripped by Nelnet. Originally I had a $4, 400 undergraduate loan before attending graduate school in 2009. Once I graduated in 2010 and was time to pay my graduate loan back ($60, 000) my outstanding loan amount had gone up to $70, 000. In 2011 Nelnet decided to take over my Direct Student Loan and stretch it out to a ten year term and consolidate it along with my graduate loan. My monthly payments are about $600 a month. I was just informed by a Nelnet rep that out of the $600, only 100 goes towards my principal on all the four group loans that I have (Group A - D) and the remaining goes to interest. In other words Nelnet is pocketing $6, 000 of my $7, 200 annual payments and applies only $1, 200 to my principal. I very much feel that the monthly payments that I am making is a huge waist since I have to pay this awful loan for the rest of my life. Nelnet is applying only $34 a month to my undergraduate loan. The breakdown is as follows: $14 principal $22 interest. Talking to a Nelnet Rep today, he was telling me that if you make an early payment then you make the following one on time, you are charged more interest because of the number of days gap between the payment.

I would really like to take a class action lawsuit against Nelnet for making a huge profit out of hardworking professional citizens of this country. I really feel that I am being majorly penalized for getting my higher education.

• St
                studentloanpoor Feb 01, 2013

I just got off the phone with Nelnet for about the 100th time regarding this same thing. My $30, 000 principal hasn't changed in over 8 years. Every payment made to them has "to satisfy the interest first". I have paid above and beyond the payment on many attempts to pay down the principal, only to be told that $1 went to principal because of interest accruing daily. I have asked how to specifically deem certain over payments to go to principal and have been told, "Oh, you can't do that". I have basically flushed all my money over the past 8 years down the drain. I am so angry and physically nauseous from this reality. I was just told that by changing from a J plan to an A plan, I can increase my payment by $80/month and pay down the principal. However, let it be understood that for years, NO ONE told me that, NO ONE!! It would cut into their profits if I ever paid it off. I started telling them that they are in fact, loan sharks and what they do is illegal and fraudulent. They don't care though, because when you have $55 million to pay off a court case, who cares? I can not see a light at the end of the tunnel and don't trust them when they say that by changing payment plans that it will be paid off. If I had had a car for $30, 000, it would have been paid off by now. But my student loan with the crooks at Nelnet, hasn't even changed the principal in 8 years.

Nelnetovercharge and to wrong account

I've been paying back my student loans for several months. Last month, Nelnet submitted an automatic withdrawal to the wrong account. The account they withdrew from had not been in use for several years. Not only did they withdraw from the wrong account, but they also withdrew more than the amount due...after I had submitted the regular payment from my regular checking account. On June 2, I paid my monthly balance using my regular checking account. On June 4, Nelnet withdrew another payment (which was more than the original payment) from an old account that I have not used in years. The first customer service representative apologized, admitted she did not see the old account number in the system, and was as puzzled as me as to where the old account had come from. She checked several screens to find that "Oh, I see, it looks like Nelnet got this number from 2001. It does not look like it has been authorized in quite some time." She asked me to hold with the assurance that her boss would be able to handle the matter. Her boss immediately blamed me, claiming that I had authorized the account recently and that he didn't even understand why I was calling him, the bank should handle the charges. Luckily the bank had initiated the call and my banker was on the line the entire time, so he helped me fix the problem on their end. My new goal is to pay off Nelnet as soon as possible so that they get as few interest $ as possible. If I had known how unreliable they were, I would never have chosen them as a lender.

Nelnet Student Loan — no transparency in calculating interest

I am not surprised there are so many of you with the same degree of confusion as to how NELNET calculate...

Nelnet — abusive customer service

I've been treated horribly. Nelnet is standing in the way of me being able to purchase my first home by...

Nelnetthird-party, affiliate marketing, and privacy options

I have consistently opted out of third-party and affiliate marketing whenever I sign on to Nelnet for self-servicing. However now, as a condition of being able to even use the website, I can no longer choose to opt-out of third-party and affiliate marketing. Today, I received a phone-bot message for a limited-time special direct loan consolidation program, which pointed me to a non-nelnet website. Sounded suspicious. I called Nelnet to opt out (again) since they have removed that option in their new website, but they pointed me to a dead internet link that is no longer valid. The CSR then said she can put me on the do-not call list if I gave her my phone number. After a few minutes of conversation, I asked her to recite my phone number that I previously gave her, but she could not recall the number. So I accused her of giving me lip service and for being a liar. The CSR said, "I'm tired of arguing with you and I don't have to take this from you. I'm putting you through to a supervisor." After a 20 minute wait, I was patched to a supervisor who emailed me a PDF document that I have to sign and mail back in just to opt-out of marketing. Nelnet claims the marketing call I received is exempt from my opting out of third-party and affiliate marketing because it is from the US Department of Education. So I called the US Dept of Education and confirmed that this offer is from them, that is is a limited-time, and that it is legit. The US Dept of Edu says that although I have loans from ACS, Great Lakes, and Nelnet- if I choose to consolidate then all of my loans will be randomly assigned to 1 of 4 services, with Nelnet being one of them. No thank you. If student loan accounts are going to be treated like commodities, then I would rather pay off my small $4k balance with Nelnet than risk a 25% chance of being stuck with Nelnet for the next 20 years. I wish I had a choice as a consumer who I shall have a business relationship with, since I very deeply value good customer service and robust privacy policies.

Nelnetpoor customer service

Out of all the student loans I am currently in repayment of; the ones serviced by Nelnet are by far the most difficult and frustrating to deal with. Upon contacting Nelnet in order to reduce my monthly payment, I was informed that my application was accepted and that my loan amount due per month would be $272.29 for the first month and $286.90 going forward:

Thank you for contacting Nelnet.
                  Your request for the extended standard repayment plan was approved and applied to your account. Your first monthly payment is due on 01/28/2012 in the amount of $272.29 and the remainder payments are in the amount of $286.90 starting 02/28/2012. The website will update on 01/27/2012.

Kristin Babcock
                  Nelnet

Great! I was very excited considering I was paying $988.35 a month. On the 27th of January, I logged into my Nelnet account and issued my payment (even though the amount due had not updated to reflect the $272.29). Upon checking my Nelnet account the next day, I was told my account was past due by $716.06 ($988.35 (the original monthly loan amount that was supposed to be changed on 1/27 less my payment of $272.29).

Upon contacting Nelnet about A) the website not being updated (as they stated it would) and B) my past due balance; I was told:

Thank you for contacting Nelnet.
                  Your account is scheduled for a monthly payment of $1, 043.89. Your account currently reflects 6 days past due in the amount of $716.06. You can go online to www.nelnet.com and click on “Manage My Account” to make a payment.

Adam D.
                  Nelnet

$1, 042.89? Hmm. This is no where near the amount Kristin had told more; nor is it even the amount that's due on the website! Needless to say, at this point I was very confused. I wrote back to this message asking for explanation as to why my loan amount due each month was now more than when I originally applied for the lower payment/extended payment option. Even though my payment plan type had been changed on the website, my amount due is still the $988.35. Even as I write this complaint; the amount shown due each month does not reflect the amount stated by Kristin or by Adam.

I applied for lower payments on all my other students loans (as my cost of living has increased) and they were all resolved/reflected within 24 hours; loans serviced by Sallie Mae, Direct Loans, and my University directly.

Nelnet's customer service has done nothing but give me an absolute runaround in terms of my loans and has still be unable to provide me with accurate information on them. How can a company expect you to pay a loan properly if their own customer service can't even confirm how much I actually owe each month AND make it an amount that matches their website? Extremely frustrating; even after numerous e-mails, calls, and online chats.

• St
                      STUL Mar 29, 2012

This is typical Nelnet. Their reps are awful - rude and irritated while supposedly trying to help you. You are not alone - google Nelnet complaints sometime - thousands exist. This company will not survive with sleezy tactics like this one (they have others too). Someday we will read about all the unemployed Nelnet workers trying to pay their own bills and I can only guess they will receive the same treatment they dished out.

nelnetdesiree Feb 07, 2012

I understand and apologize for your frustration. I would like to have a specialist work with you towards getting this issue resolved. Please give us a call at your earliest convenience, 1.888.486.4722. You may ask to be transferred to Desiree.

NelnetDanielle Jan 11, 2012

RTD123,

The email address you can use to contact us is [email protected] or you may call 1.888.486.4722. If you continue having trouble with the site, please contact a representative to assist you.

In order to receive the minimum amount of statements, we recommned aligning your due dates so that statements are all generated on the same day.

When applying for a new repayment plan, please allow up to 30 days to take effect as we must re disclose the account. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or need assistance.

• Rt
                      RTD123 Jan 10, 2012

Nelnet systematically uses red tape, barriers and obstacles to keep their "customers" in the dark. The rep I just spoke to admitted that the web site is difficult to use. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to log in on several occasions. They offer the web site as a solution to a myriad of capabilities, but good luck accessing it. When I asked for information on what authorities regulate nelnet, the rep put me on hold for more than ten minutes before returning with the general toll free line for DOE and an email address within nelnet: [email protected] They refuse to accept phone calls regarding customer complaints. THIS IS THEIR USER FRIENDLY SOLUTION!!! I doubt the address is correct since their brilliant solution is to dictate a 40 character email address by phone.

They originally send 9 different statements to me on a monthly basis (at different times throughout the month). Their statements are impossible to interpret. When i requested a single combined statement they refused. They have cordially agreed to send me only two mailings per month now (at different times of month of course). They are still undecipherable.

Most recently I agreed to terms that would lower my payment to a more reasonable amount. However, the following month they had no record of such an agreement. Now they are demanding $1044 (which is apparently 13 days over due) or else they "may" report the late payment to the credit bureaus.

Whatever you do, do not leave D of E direct servicing. NelNet is a nightmare!

Nelnet (National Education Loan Network)poor customer service

Kristin Babcock

Adam D.
                    Nelnet

Nelnet — worse than other lenders

I've been a Nelnet customer for about 6 years now, and of the 3 student lenders I deal with they are by...

Nelnet Student Loans — fraudulent charges

This company runs a great scam. I applied for and received an income based reduction. My statements say I owe...

Nelnetloan repayment

So I had a Wells Fargo student loan that was then bought out and now serviced by Nelnet.

I took a semester off and had to start repaying on some loans, which I understood well enough. They sent me out my statements, and since they were more than I could afford, I signed up for income-based repayment. It went through, and then I signed up for e-statements.

Now, I have been paying bills online for years through many different businesses. I know how to read statements, and I ALWAYS pay my bills on time.

A couple of weeks after my income-based repayment was approved and I was signed up for e-statements, I got an e-mail saying that my statement was ready and that I could log-in and read it under "my secure e-messages" on Nelnets website. I did this and saw that I owed about $6. I was shocked at how low it was, and I had more than enough to spare, so I paid about $30. I logged in a couple of days later to make sure I didn't have to pay anything else and nowhere I could see that I owed anything. The next month rolled around, and I received another e-mail saying that I have an e-statement ready. I logged in to Nelnet, and my statement said that I owed $0 and that $0 was late. I was confused, but I just gave it a couple more days and logged back in and I didn't have any new messages and the $0 due remained the same. So I didn't pay anything! I know that when I overpay for my car loan, the extra that I pay rolls over so I don't owe as much the next month, and that's what I thought had happened here.

A couple of weeks went by and I kept on getting calls form 1-888 numbers. I thought it was just my internet provider calling me again about trying to get me to buy cable, so I didn't answer them for a couple of days. When I did finally answer it, it was Nelnet. They told me that I was 60 days overdue and owed them $262.

Unfortunately, I did not have my computer in front of me at the time, and when I was telling the woman on the phone that I was receiving the statements saying I didn't owe anything, she thought that I was lying to her. She said it was impossible and that I owed them $262 and that I was overdue, and of course I was supposed to pay every month, even when I told her that it was saying that I didn't owe anything! I was infuriated. I started bawling because I never pay anything late. I told her that I would just pay it, and she said that she could put it in deferment. I told her no that I wanted to just pay it, and then she kept telling me she could put it in deferment. I didn't want to deplete my savings and I was really upset, so I agreed to it.

I then find out that they reported to a credit agency that I was deliquent, and that I was 180 past due on a loan. There was not even 90 days from when I got a statement in the mail saying I owed them anything from the time this happened. I found out they reported it to the credit agency because my credit card company decreased my credit line by $2000 because of something on my credit report.

Oh, and I found the place on Nelnet's website where it said that I owed them money. Even though their statements said nothing, which maybe I'm crazy, but if I statement says that I owe $0 and $0 in late payments, this leads me to believe that...oh I don't owe anything!! Anyhow, although the statements in my "secure messages" said I didn't owe anything, when I clicked on "repayment options" and THEN onto "Pay now" (where by the way I would have gone if I were to have been lead to believe that I owed anything) that is where it finally said I owed them $262, but it didn't say where or why like a statement.

I tried calling them, and couldn't reach a human, so I e-mailed them explaining what had happened. I received an email and a letter in the mail. The letter in the mail showed that they took the mark off of my credit report, but did not say anything about it. In the email, they didn't say anything about the complaint I made about making their system actually work so if you owe anything, the statements should show it, or it should be received in an email. Just a harsh email back saying that I was late on making a payment.

Thinking about Nelnet makes me sick to my stomach for the hell that it has put me through.

neeley34 Feb 07, 2012

Couldn't agree with the complaint more. The problem with Nelnet is they are two faced and when they talk to you on the phone and reassure you things will be ok when they mess up, they are actually just trying to get you off the phone so you they can figure out what they did wrong and cover their tracks so they won't be sued.

• Nn
                          NNGeoff Aug 03, 2011

Hi Chrissy, This sounds like quite an unpleasant ordeal. I couldn't tell if things had been completely straightened out or not, but if you'd like some clarification or perhaps were assessed late fees please send me an email. I would like to give your concerns the attention they deserve. Please email me at [email protected] subject NNGeoff.

Geoff K.