MTNpathetic service!

J

I must say that I am totally disgusted at the pathetic service received by MTN SA. I have been a subscriber for four years and three months ago they have decided to bar me from sending sms's and I am unable to reload airtime. So now I had to go as far as purchasing another sim card (Vodacom may I add) because I am unable to use my mtn sim to send or reply to sms's or even reload airtime . I have contacted MTN helpdesk for the past three months and have dealt with 3 team leaders and over 12 consultants and even went as far as going into an MTN store in Parow Sanlam center branch to get this sorted out, stood there for over an hour with no solution to my problem. I must say that MTN are seriously losing several clients because of their pathetic service. I doubt that this complaint would have an effect on them.

• Ga
    Gallagher Aug 25, 2016

After complaining about a R700 Migration fee on top of the R104 upgrade fee, (in the upgrade period). Pointing out there upgrade information says “Migration within the price plans that is if you move up one or one down from your existing price plan at the time of upgrade, this price plan migration is free of charge” (clause removed last week) The Migration fee was waived, but a R700 handset Claw back fee was imposed. They have used a clause in their T/C for charging this fee, however it’s been pointed out that this clause is for people migrating before there contract date. As my contract will continue until my term date and only then will my new upgrade contract start, this clause is not pertinent and being used incorrectly. Not only is it not applicable it is illegal with out MTN following certain procedures, which they do not. In fact no fees are allowed to be charged for renewal or upgrade in the upgrade or renewal period. (see Government Gazette 17th June 2008. ICASA Regulations on Handset Subsidy 31156)

• Pa
    Pashoke Aug 25, 2016

From the 28th ( all though it might be the 25th) of February, I phoned them to email me the invoice of my account because I need to email it to my employee so they can pay it into my account. The day I called they told me it will only be availble on the Friday. (Note that they close my invoice on every 21st of each month.)I said it was fine and phoned the Monday, (could be the friday but I'm not sure so lets say it was Monday) they said they will email it to me but I could get it of the Internet myself. I then waited for my email but nothing came the Tuesday I phoned again and I phoned on the Wednesday but still nothing came. Im not sure how many times after that I phoned but we leave it at that. My debit order goes down on the 15th of every month. Its Sunday the 14th of March and still I didn't get any email. I phoned them, so that I will at least know what amount they are going to deduct from my account only to find a new surprise... according to them I am R600 and odd rand outstanding for a year now I think, the big problem I have with this is that on no statement have they stated that. Isn't there someone that can help, what they do isnt right and they just keep on doing it!

• Fi
    Firefox13 Aug 19, 2016

In september last year, my contract phone and sim were stolen. I called MTN the following morning to report the stolen phone and sim - i was sent placklisting forms, which i completed and sent back to them and i was asked if i wanted a call block put on the line (obviously)

NOTHING was done - MTN have continued to debit my account for the thousands of rands that the cellphone theif has racked up on my contract, i tried to contact MTN to stop the debit order, but to no avail.

Eventually in February i had to close the bank account that the debit order comes off of and i am still being billed from MTN despite numerous requests for them to stop.
    I would like a full refund of the approx R8000 that has been debited from my account since september last year.

Please can someone contact me URGENTLY, before i take this matter further.
    Dawn McGowan
    Contract cell number [protected]
    CONTACT number [protected] / [protected]
    email: [email protected]

Olawoyin Sulaiman Aug 18, 2016

I wrongly transferred through my bank a/c an MTN VTU to [protected] instead of [protected] ref. 02HL259915EO633.

The owner of [protected] declined when contacted. Kindly help find out where the credit ended and to help transfer the recovered amount to [protected].

Thanking you for your co-operation.

Yours faithfully,

OLAWOYIN SULAIMAN A.

Olawoyin Sulaiman Aug 18, 2016

My MTN No is [protected]. wrong Transfer of MTN VTU to [protected] instead of [protected]. The transfer reference I received is :02HL259915EO633. Thank you

• Ms
    msawakhe Jul 22, 2016

I have a laptop contract with MTN. I agreed to pay R199 every month for two years. Everything was going well but the last two month which is June and July this year, they overcharged me even if I did not exceed the limit. And when I ask them they told me that I joined something but I wonder because I did not join anything.

I shall appreciate if you will sort this thing out because it shows that you are robbing us!

• Cc
    cclark25 Jul 18, 2016

my name is chrystal clark i have a direct excpress mastercard ive petitioned the card it self an they told me to get ahold of u ive been charge falsesly for 8 months now at the sum of 49.90 a month and i NEVER sighned up for your services or accepted them im am beyond pissed off i demand u reimburse my money immediately before i bring my laywer into it as reading your site it mentions magazines i dont or ever had read or bought magazines and definately did not order or have recieved any i suggest u make this right and reimburse me asap or i shall take legal matters my name is chrystal clark direct exspress mastercard ending in 6453 i have also printed out copies of this email for my card company an lawyer if your smart and dont want fraud charges for not setteling this dispute i suggest u act quickly u can reach me at [email protected]

• Ve
    vedra1 Jul 13, 2016

the exact thing happened to me when I wanted to contact them regarding my account. i don't have a problem with the e-mail though, but their Customer Service sucks big time. The attitude of the staff is a disgrace!Most of them don't understand English and when you cannot understand what they're saying, they drop the call or become annoyed with you!

Jacob Leblanc Jul 13, 2016

I just paid $24, 31 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic GF 1 Camera that we got for $34, 26 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 42 inch LED TV to my boss for $678 which only cost me $68, 18 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, CentSpace.com

• Lm
    LMUL Jul 13, 2016

I VISITED THE UK FROM 16 JUNE 2011 UNTIL 8TH JULY 2011. ON WEDNESDAY THE 15TH OF JUNE I VISITED MTN SHOP IN PADDOCK MILNERTON AND ASKED HELP REGARDING NOKIA PROGRAM AND HOW TO USE IT ON MY NETBOOK. I ALSO ASKED ADVISE REGARDING ROAMING AND WAS TOLD SMS IS FREE BUT CALLS ARE CHARGED AND FREE MINUTES DOES NOT COUNT. WE DECIDED TO ONLY USE THE PHONE NOW AND AGAIN. I DID NOT LISTEN TO MESSAGES AND DID NOT ANSWER CALLS. SO MANY UNEXPLAINED CHARGES WAS BILLED AND MY FREE MINUTES ALLOCATED TO MY PACKAGED WAS GONE BILLING PERIOD IS 13TH TO 13TH EVERY MONTH. I EVEN HAD TO PAY IN. I THEN ASKED ABOUT USING MY CELL PHONE AS A MODEM TO CHECK EMAILS AND INTERNET AND ALSO TO US THE SATELITE NAVIGATION SYSTEM, I WAS TOLD IT IS FREE TO USE AND IT IS BETTER AND CHEAPER TO DOWNLOAD THE MAPS ONCE I AM IN LONDON, I ALSO ASKED IF I DOWNLOAD DATA BUNDLES CAN I USE IT IN THE UK AND WAS TOLD I CAN BECAUSE DATA IS DATA, THE GENTLEMAN THEN DOWNLOADED 500MB FROM MY REWARDS POINTS. I THEN HAD TO GO AND SEE A CLIENT AND AFTER THE MEETING WENT BACK TO THE STORE TO ASK THEM TO SHOW ME AGAIN HOW EVERYTHING WORKS. I THEN AGAIN MADE SURE BY ASKING ABOUT THE DATA AND WAS ASSURED DATA IS DATA. I USED MY PHONE A FEW TIMES TO ACCESS THE INTERNET AND TO TRY AND DOWNLOAD THE MAPS, I STRUGGLED WITH THE MAPS AND CANCELLED. I CHECKED EMAILS ETC THE FIRST 3 DAYS THEN WE HAD WI FI IN THE HOTELS, WHEN WE STAYED IN A HOTEL THE LAST 3 DAYS I USED IT NOW AND AGAIN BECAUSE THERE WAS NO FREE WI FI. I STILL THOUGHT I MUST HAVE LOTS OF MB LEFT. IN THAT PERIOD I ALSO NEVER RECEIVED NOTICE THAT MY BILL IS SKY HIGH AND USAGE IS NOT AS USUAL. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT EVERY ONE HAS A LIMIT AND THAT SHOULD ONE EXCEED IT THEY WILL SMS TO INFORM. WAS I WRONG. FEW DAYS AFTER WE RETURNED AROUND THE 13TH I WAS ASKED IF I AM AWARE THAT MY ACCOUNT IS R24 000.00. I NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK. ENDLESS PHONE CALLS, EMAILS, MORE CALLS I AM STILL NOT GETTING ANYWHERE WITH THEM. I HAVE ON FRIDAY THE 19TH AUG 2011 PAID ALL THE COSTS FOR TELEPHONE CALLS AND MONTHLY CHARGED AND LOADS OF OTHER CHARGES THAT I HAVE ASKED THEM TO EXPLAIN FOR WHICH I EXPLAINATIONS I AM STILL WAITING. I DID NOT PAY THE DATA USAGE AS I REFUSE TO DO SO ON GROUNDS THAT THEIR STAFF MEMBER MISINFORMED ME. THIS AMOUNTS TO R20 341 INCLUDING VAT. THEY HAVE CUT MY PHONE LINE SO I CAN EVEN USE MY FREE MINUTES OR SMS THAT I HAVE NOW PAID FOR. THE ONLY CORRESONDACE I RECIEVED WAS ITMEMISED BILLING AND THE ALSO BILLING RECORD OF DATA USED. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SPEAK TO A PERSON IN CHARGE, ALL THEY DO IS SEND REFERENCE NUMBERS BUT NO ONE PHONES. I CAN FORWARD ALL ACCOUNTS EMAILS ETC IF YOU CAN SEND ME THE PERSON WHO WILL BE DEALING WITH THIS COMPLAINT PLEASE. THANK YOU

• Eu
    EUGENE Jul 13, 2016

I'VE TRIED NUMERUOS TIMES TO UPDATE MY DETAILS WITH MTN. THEY DON'T SEEM TO WANT TO KNOW AND KEEP SENDING MY STATEMENTS TO THE WRONG E-MAIL ADDRESS. HOW DOES A COMPANY EXPECT PAYMENT IF THEY KEEP SENDING MY STATEMENT TO THE WRONG E-MAIL ADDRESS. I STARTED WORKING FOR KWIKSPACE ON THE 1st MARCH 2009 AND SENT MTN ALL MY NEW DETAILS TO THEIR ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT. EVEN WENT ONTO THE MTNSP WEBSITE TO CONFIRM CHANGE OF INFORMATION TO MAKE SURE NOW MTN WILL SURELY SEND ME MY STATEMENTS. JUST TO FIND OUT THAT THEY IGNORE ME FLAT-OUT. I SPEND JUST OVER R1000.00 PER MONTH WITH THEM AND IT'S NOW 1st JUNE 2009 AND THEY STILL SEND MY STATEMENTS TO THE WRONG E-MAIL ADDRESS, WITH THE WRONG BUSINESS NUMBERS, ECT.

I DON'T KNOW IF THE STAFF IS JUST TOO INCOMPETENT, BUT THEY HARDLY ANSWER THEIR PHONE WHEN YOU TRY TO FIX SOMETHING. THE NUMBER 808 IS GIVEN FROM MTN TO PHONE SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. AFTER HOLDING ON AND LISTENING TO VOICE PROMPTS FOR 45 MINUTES, YOU FIND SOMEONE PICKING UP THE PHONE AND DROPPING YOUR CALL... THE PROCESS HAS TO BE REPEATED 3 OR 4 TIMES TO ACTUALLY GET THROUGH TO A PERSON. THEN, ONCE THE INFORMATION IS DISCUSSED, THEY ASSURE YOU THAT EVERYTHING IS IN ORDER, BUT JUST TO FIND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM. YOU PHONE BACK AND CAN'T BE TRANFERRED TO THE PERSON THAT HELPED YOU PREVIOUSLY AND HAVE TO EXPLAIN THE WHOLE PROBLEM FROM THE BEGINNING AND TRY NOT TO LOOSE YOUR TEMPER., ..

ALL I CAN SAY IS: UNEXCEPTABLE!!! TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED...

• Fr
    Freattre Jul 13, 2016

I keep getting sms's from the newly refurbished mtn store in the centurion shopping mall. I never signed anything saying that mtn are free to contact me about a new look store. I already have my cellphone and contract. For what reason would I want to come into the new look mtn store in centurion.

I don't ever want to receive another sms from this store, or any other mtn store in fact. Can someone please tell me how to go about organising this, as the sms that I received, gives no instructions.

• Mi
    Miles Sharpe Jul 13, 2016

Since 1000 hrs on 10 march 2010 tower number 655 Moot Chichens has not had any connection. I have tried 3 mtn cellphones and the only result I get is `emergency use only` Trying to get any help from customer care is useless as they keep telling me to call from a landline. I use cellphones to not need a land line. Once before I was told that they would email the networking division and within an hour the problem was solved. Why do customer care refuse to do it again. I have been using mtn since 1994 and used to be happy with the service. I use a cellphone as a modem as well but for a day and a half now have been unable to go online. Customer care also refuse to give me the networking divisions email address so I can mail from next door via adsl modem. Please reply to email address [email protected]
    I use the irc network day and night and this type of service is not acceptable to anyone in the area. vodacom uses the same tower and they don`t give this type of service.
    Looking forward to speedy resolution of this problem. Thank you.
    Miles Sharpe

• Gr
    Grabble536 Jul 13, 2016

I upgraded on the 17 May and asked MTN (Cellular Express) to order me a cellphone pouch and earphones. They told me that the stuff will be in the next week and I must come and fetch it I called them and they told me that they dont have it. So they told me maby the next week and it was still not there. It is now the 11 SEPTEMBER and I still dont have received the earphones and cellphone pouch. They also never let you know if my requist has been orderd and if they have received what I was looking for.

• So
    Soother Jul 13, 2016

My name is Jongibandla Ndzipho and I upgraded my cellphone contract in October 2009 from My Choice R300 topup to Anytime 200 minutes (blackberry at R349 a month). I contacted my service provider asking to be changed to another package plan in November as it became too expansive for me and I needed a plan that I can manage, and I was told that my current plan was on special and I cannot move to another plan for 24 months. I therefore requested a bill limit of R500 wich has never worked as I've been paying for over R1000 a month since November and that is too much for me. I need help as I need to get out of this package cause I cannot affort it anymore as R1100 a month is too much for me and the bill limit is not working. I dont want to downgrade but I need a plan that is fixed and would allow me to buy my own airtime when the allocated minutes are finished. The other thing, when I took out this plan, it was never explained it to me that I will have to stick with it for 24 months without an option to migrate to another plan. I hope someone from MTN would assist me in this regard as I cant afford this package but I am willing to pay R500 a month for my cellphone.

• Il
    Ildinare Jul 13, 2016

Last year I received a bill from MTN for R4600 and asked them to please check the data usage they had charged me for before I pay as it seemed like they had made a mistake to me. I requested this a number of times and was told that they would get back to me. They then proceeded to block my sim and never did contact me again. They still invoiced me for the following two months and I queried these invoices too. December they charged me R2900 on a sim that isn't even being used. I never received any reply from them or another invoice in January. Today I receive a final demand for payment of R17K + from attorneys. I asked them numerous times just to please check my data charges before I pay them and instead of getting back to me this happens. Now what does one do in this situation? At a loss here to be quite frank.

• Be
    Belivore Jul 13, 2016

I handed in all documents necessary to transfer the cellphone account from my ex-husbands name to mine in June 2009 to Fabian Jordaan. I handed the documents to Fabian at the walk-in centre at Canalwalk. He explained that this might take 4-6 weeks wich was reasonable.

In August this was still not done and I went back to the centre, but was told that they are off-line and that it does take long to transfer accounts. I checked with another MTN store at Paddocks and he confirmed that it was still not changed and suggested getting the documents from Canalwalk as there has been problems there.

In September the account once again went off my ex-husbands account instead of mine. I went to the Walk-in centre on Saturday and was told by Diana that it does take 3-4 months to do the transfers and that she is unable to assist me in getting the documents or doing anything as Fabian is dealing with my case and that she will get him to contact me on Monday. She did give me the option of speaking to a manager that would also not be able to help me, and after already waitng an hour I would be 3rd in line to speak to him.

Janis Moolman Jul 13, 2016

Mtn must close theire doors, every night the internet speeds get so slow that my phone give a message that their is no connection, but during the day, it is fine, I am sick of this I pay for this serivce and my phone is a business phone, I loose emails. I whant MTN to close theire doors and go to NIgeria or any other african country were this type of service is a normality.

• Kl
    Klementino Jul 13, 2016

After ordering the Nokia 5800, we had to constantly hassle them for the phone. Till we got fed up and went to the branch upon which they somehow found the handsets which were supposedly out of stock. No contract was given to me, as is the law. Upon finding out from my friends who had purchased the same phone, I noticed I was not given a music stand and no protective cover. No indication of this was made to me.

Olinay Jul 13, 2016

I sent in my cancellation letter for my contract on the 2nd of jan 2010.when i followed up, they said there is no cancellation request received. Once again i completed the cancellation request. When i followed up today again, they said no cancellation request was received. I'm sorry, but thats not right. How is it possible that neither of the faxes were received. Can someone explain this to me? I don't want to hear any excuses, i just want to cancel my contract! Monica, you were a great help, but your call centre never got the fax you sent. So now what? I need to pay another month? I am not going to let another debit order go off. I did what i was told to do. This is not a mistake from my side.

• Lu
    Lucky Themba Khumalo Jul 13, 2016

Hi.

Now it is twice my cellphone will be suspended and I don't know why the mtn do so. It is so difficult to contact them the open my cellphone. The already deduct the amount in my account as we agree.

The suspended cellphone is [protected], I will be glad if you assist me to open my cell because I lose many calls . To contact me please use the alternative number: [protected] .

Regards
    Khumalo Lucky Themba

• Bh
    Bhuti Jul 13, 2016

I submitted my phone Nokia E90 for repairs and when i booked it in the Agent told me to take the Battery cover with me i insisted that he book it he said they will give me a new one, on the 23rd Appril they calle me that the phone was ready everything i complained about was fixed with the exception of the battery cover which was not provided.
    They promised me to sort it out and they will call me after 4 weeks (28 April) i went back to Pavalion MTN in Durban to check the progress on my complain only to find out that they did not do anythingn and worst of all they ask me to book the phone in, i told them that i only need a battery cover so why they need to book the whole phone in, they told me no its their procedure or their policy i said to them i am not at fault i am no prepared to be inconvinienced again and will escalate the matter, my frustration now is that they block me i cant speak to a senior person at Mtn to state my case and i am very frustrated right now thinking of driving from Dbn to Joburg to their head office and stage a seat in there

• Pi
    PIETER BRINK Jul 13, 2016

From the time I Rica'd my prepaid phone I am receiving unwanted commercial sms's. And now MTN in cahoots of these companies allowed them to blatently steal my prepaid money, as it is I am an 71 year old pensioner, I seldom use my cell for making calls, so most of the time I have no funds on my cell. I use email, Facebook and Twitter to communicate! I only use my phone for receiving calls and sms's. I habe no needs for wallpaper and ring tones. I usually just delete these crooks, But now I found out about this scam. They use the excuse that I entered my cell no on the internet and then I am subscribed, I have then to unsubscribe at my cost when the SMS arrive! I found out on Mira Networks that MTN knows about all these complaints and do NOTHING!!! They just collect the money and if you complain, they simply put a stop to it but they don't refund you!!! This is plain theft. How many aged and also the unsophisticated public is caught in this trap. I won't by any more time until I find an honest cellphone co!
    Pieter Brink [email protected] phone [protected] Pretoria

Mansoor1 Jul 13, 2016

MTN Customer Service
    To whom it may concern
    RE: Complaint
    I have my contract with MTN for just over a year. In this time I have sent my Nokia 5800 Express phone in twice for repairs. The first time it was sent in for repairs I waited 3 months to have my phone returned. The second time I sent my phone in was on the 25th October 2010. I have not received my phone since. Even after logging 3 service calls. No follow-up or feedback was received from MTN.
    So once again I made contact with MTN (Tygervalley, as this is where the phone was purchased). A staff member named, Anthony answered. I explained my situation to him and he said that there was nothing that he could do for me. I asked him for a manager’s contact number, he refused and hung up in my ear.
    I am a MTN C-U-S-T-O-M-E-R! Please let me know what this means to you?
    You make use of clever marketing to recruit new customers be it print, radio, tv, or by social media. I work hard for my money so when I gave MTN the opportunity to benefit from my earnings I didn’t expect rudeness, unwillingness or inefficiency as part of my contract.
    What I now expect is firstly an apology from MTN and secondly to mention that I am no longer interested in the Nokia 5800 Express. I would like to be given the opportunity to choose a phone as my replacement.
    I hope that this letter will result in feedback within 3 days from MTN. And that MTN provide their staff with the necessary training, especially in etiquette so as to prevent a future occurance such as this.

A very dissatisfied customer,

Mansoor Sungay
    Job Card Ref Number: SCTYG 2220367

• Ga
    Gabermister Jul 13, 2016

After signing to have a limit set on my phone bill mtn's system let the bill double and when contacted they said they said they would have it sorted out. When i get called it sometimes goes through to some other lady, how do i know i'm not getting charged for her calls? They have now gone and over billed me once again even though my account shows that i have limit. Whats the use of offering a limit if the system doesn't work?

• Pa
    Parov Jul 13, 2016

In May, I asked that my 3G card account be moved from my personal account to my business acount. after numerous enquiries, numerous promises, my account is still on my personal, and not my business account. last month, my 3G connection broke, and I took it to MTN to have it repairedreplaced as it was still under guarantee. I was told that there was a 4 - 6 week lead time in the repair replacement of the unit, and that if I needed one, I would have to buy another one, and they could not swop one out. i spent in excess of R2000 replacing the 3Gunit, with the assurance that it would be sent overseas on the same day for repairreplacement. on going to the shop today to enquire how far the replacementrepair is, to my absolute horror I found out that the unit had not even been sent away for repairsreplacement. this is apparently only going to happen today. I am at my wits end, as I seem to get naught for my efforts, every time I go to the shop, I am told yet another lie, and my account query and the 3 G card has still not been sorted out.

• Tr
    Tramben Jul 13, 2016

I sent an e-mail to [Hidden Web Address] AFTER I tried to phone 808 many times.The mail came back, I had to redirect to [Hidden Web Address] returned with:“Mail delivery failed”I phoned 808 again, held on for 20 minutes before I got through to a human. She refused to help me as, according to their system, the account is still in my ex-husband’s name, despite MTN in Brooklyn Mall informing me on 3 Aug that the account was moved.I printed my mails to fax it to MTN.No luck.I went to Brooklyn.They didn’t know whether the account was moved and I had to go to MTN Cherrylane.Cherrylane refused to help me because I could not prove that I had applied to have the account moved.I had to go back to Brooklyn to get a copy of the forms to prove that I had applied for the transfer.They didn’t have the forms as they sent them to the head office.They promised to phone me the next day (27 Aug) by 10 am to confirm the transfer(I am still waiting 31 Aug) I went back to Cherrylane.I told the person to make a copy of the emails and send that to head office as nothing I do from my side gets me anywhere.He said that those were not the papers he asked for, he wanted the account transfer forms!

• mu-ath devajee Jul 13, 2016

I upgraded my contract on the 26/10/2011. The upgrade was for the Samsung Galaxy Tab. On the 01/11/2011, 22:00 the evening i decided to switch on the Tab and it doesnt want to go on. Nowhere could i take the unit to as all stores are closed. my best bet is to take it to a store the next day. The same evening i checked my contract and it shows there is a 10 day return policy. I confidently go to the Canal walk branch after work arriving at the mall at about 17:00. I was advised that there is a 7 day return policy and that the document given to me which was also not signed by the person who sold it me was not suppose to have given me that document stating the 10 day return policy. Canal walk advises me that they will not be able to assist me as it is day 8 that i am bringing it in and refers me to the N1 City branch where i bought the Tab at. Iwent the to the N1 City branch and they Siyabonga refused to exchange my unit due to the 7 day rule and ignores that i was not aware of the 7 day rule. Even if i was awre of the rule all their stores were closed on day 7 so i could only bring it to them on day 8. I requested to speak to the manager. Siyabonga refuses to call the manager. Only after me persisting on him calling does he then call. Manager Shuray then advised that i should come in on day 9 to chat to him of which he said he too cannot do anything as we passed the 7 day rule and that the CPA rule governs him from helping me. I strongly believe i should still have received a new unit as it broke on day 7 and there stores were closed. nowhere in the contracts does it state anything about operating hours. Currently i am without a unit and they could only send my unit in for repairs. This policy doesnt allow for any customer satisfaction. I should still get a brand new unit.

• Sh
    Sharon Naicker Jul 13, 2016

I applied for a contract with MTN Galleria on the 29/09/2011. I was told by the store clerk, that I would be contacted in 5 days, letting me know if the application was successful.

Firstly, I did not receive a phone call from the store letting me know my application was successful. On the 6th day, after contacting the call center, I obtained the store's number and phone in and spoke to the clerk, who only then notified me.

I picked up the phone on the 06/10/2011. At home, I was unable to use the phone. I contacted the call center and was notified that it was not activated and that it would be done straight away. Still nothing. On contacting them again, I was told, that it was not Rica'd. After numerous calls to the store and call center, STILL NOTHING WAS DONE. I also notified them that the battery life was dying too soon on the handset and I was not even using the phone. The other problem was that the phone specified 16 Gb but only showed 12Gb.

I went into the store on Monday, 10/10/11 with the handset and the store clerk Rica'd it then only. I told him, that I was not happy with all the problems I was having and the shockingly bad service. He took back the handset and said he would speak to his manager and contact me the next day, which he did not until I made several calls to the call center as the store was not answering my calls either. I went back to the store on the 11/10/11. I said I wanted to cancel my contract. He gave me a piece of paper and asked me to write out a cancellation letter, which I did. They refuse to cancel my contract. I did not use the phone and I don't have the phone, but they still want to charge me for it.

The shocking thing is, not once did I get a phone call from anyone in authority. The store supervisor hid in the back and did not come out to speak to me. The call center supervisor was always never available. I left messages for the Accounts Manager to phone me but never received a call. So, please, advise me on the way forward.

• Su
    Subashnee Jul 13, 2016

I wish to express my utter disappointment as to the manner in which I was insulted in your MTN store at Centurion on the 26th March 2011. Never was I treated with this level of disrespect !

I obtained an upgrade from your franchise store on the 21st March 2011. extremely excited … yet this was short term. On the 22nd March 2011, I called MTN to link my internet and BBM services. This was done via your call centre, not an easy process as I called four times before I could get a consultant. Nevertheless, this was done. i was told this would be done by the Wednesday. Wednesday the 23rd, this was not done. Thursday, I went to your Bloemfontein store as this was where I was during the time. Clayton your service consultant assisted me and of course this was clearly not done. the services which both was promised to me was not working on the 4th day of my new upgraded phone. Friday not working, Saturday not working. I then returned to the store to which I did the upgrade.

On arrival, I was served by a consultant named Kyle. He firstly claimed that I was not able to use the phone as I indicated that the Bluetooth, BBM and internet was not working. He asked me if I am aware of how to work the phone. Insulted but calm, I smiled and said yes. He however showed me again and it worked. I then asked him about the other services which did not work but he then started with the insulting behaviour. I stated then that he should please look at this phone as I am concerned. He said that the store cannot take liability for a phone that is not working as the store would bear the costs. He then stated that I should contact the consultant that helped me as this would be the person accountable. I said to him that this is nonsense as MTN is the service provider ! he insisted that I should contact the branch where I got the phone from as they are accountable ! I repeated myself three times to say that the phone was obtained from the store to which I was in and I would wish to speak to a manager. At the time, there was a service consultant present from your MTN store at the lower ground level as well as one of the other consultants assisted me then. Klye continuously shook his head disrespectfully while I spoke to him and then decided to play on his phone instead of assisting me or at least referring me to a manager. Throught the conversation, Kyle insisted that should they take the phone in, he would bear the costs . how on earth does this become my concern as this was clearly an MTN problem. This did imply to me as well that the phone was a dud.
    ACTION ONE : what are the steps going to be taken against the unprofessional young man ?

I spent now 45 min in your store to get further treated like a complete fool ! Ledwabo now the next consultant to assist me. He then checked my phone and recommended we send the phone for assessment. I clearly stated that if this be the case, I am in my 7 day warranty and the phone should be replaced. I told him about Klyle and did not even receive an apology from the manager I requested to help me. Total shocking experience which did not end there . I then requested that should this be the case, I will take the phone but then due to the fact that I entering the 7th day of my warranty, that I should be granted an extension of this as 6 days of the 7 day warranty, this phone was giving me problems. No, the features that I complained about were still not working fully but was willing to give the time that the consultant insisted on. ledwabo then received a call and as he walked to the back office, I heard him say that should he change the phone, provided the person put this in black and white. Now very concerned and even more agitated. He came back after 8 min and smiled and said that someone called him with a system problem. I told him not to lie as I heard the conversation. He looked at me blankly and continued to then attempt to justify the problems in the phone. I then again said to him that clearly there was a problem with the phone if he wanted to send it for an assessment. I now became extremely edgy and even raised my phone. Never in the last number of years in my life did I do this. MTN succeeded to upset me and spoil my day however. I then requested a regional manager’s number. He went to the back office again for 7 min and came back and gave me your head office number. I clearly said to him that he is giving me a land line number and it was a Saturday afternoon. He smiled as he thought this was funny and said that by the way I must make this call by the end of the day as my 7 days were up. He refused to give me any cell numbers. I called the number he gave me and of course got a voice mail. Ledwabo mentioned that I should be aware of MTN’s policies and procedures. I wish I could get one version of the truth from these guys as in a matter of an hour and 30 min, I managed to get two very good and positioned excuses. What did these consultants wish to achieve by doing this I am not sure. Yet they did manage to annoy me. I asked three times thereafter to give me a cell number and he giggled and said that this is the number I must dial. By now I was screaming in your store . both Ledwabo and Klye treated me with the utmost of disrespect and Kyle even managed to laugh at me when I left

I would like to know what MTN is going to do to compensate me for this joke of a service. I also would like to know what action steps will be taken against both Kyle and Ledwabo as this is a concern for me. They insulted me, treated me like I was a complete silly and refused to exchange my Dud phone !

• Ar
    Ariel Woznica Jul 11, 2016

I have no line after several reassurances to wait 2-24 hours for reactivation of my line, in addition my ex wife's name and bank details are still on my account after literally 5 attempts at submitting all requested documentation. Nothing has changed!

• To
    Tohole Jun 22, 2016

1.+-7 Sept we processed the paperwork and signed the contract for the R9.99 x 24 months deal and the attendant said that it will be done the next day as the system was down. I made a lot of effort to get my father into the store as he suffers from Parkinson's. I did not receive a reference as I was told there is not a system in place for it. I also left my personal cell number in the event that something goes wrong.

2. A week later nothing was notified on the cellphone. I assumed that it was waiting for the 24 months to complete which was due early Oct.

3. On the 10th of October I went back to the MTN Plattekloof shop were I was told that it was not upgraded and there is no paperwork to be found. I'm also informed that:
    a) He is now out of contract, so will be billed for October for the full MyCall 100 tariff (instead of the reduced plan that ended the preceding month)
    b) The R9.99 deal is not available anymore (ended September)

The available attendant told me it was not resolvable and I must apply for another contract.

4. I was told the previous attendant does not work there anymore and I am not allowed to talk to a supervisor.

• Ro
    Roopee Jun 03, 2016

Countless attempts to find someone at MTN who can actually resolve issues regarding my wife's upgrade to a Blackberry contract have proved fruitless to say the least.

Their website claims the following: 'MTN has a dedicated team of experts trained in handling personal and corporate use of BlackBerry' and '...no additional data usage costs through the BlackBerry APN...'. Rubbish. NOBODY at MTN seem to have any clue about their products and, as a service provider, they're seriously lacking the service or the 'providing' thereof.

So far we have wasted our time with consultants who, even after promising free email and placing a limit on outgoing calls at our request, we still received a bill of over R1000. Needless to say it may turn out cheaper to buy out of the contract and move elsewhere.

Simply disgusting and, as I'm due for an upgrade shortly, I'll definitely be looking to move to one of their competitors after 14 years as a loyal customer.

I would like to think I may get a response from this complaint but I seriously doubt anyone at MTN actually care as their customer service is simply appalling.

• Mo
    Morsen Jun 03, 2016

So, we went to the MTN Store in Woodmead Retail Park on the 31st October 2009. At the store, we spoke to Eric Dubula and advised him that we wanted to take our a new contract with the Nokia N97.Dubula said to us that he does not have stock at the moment but he said we would definitely qualify for a contract. when we inquired as to why he didnt want to take our documents or fill out an application form, he advised that he was absolutely certain(big smile on his face) that we would qualify. We said to him, just put our details in on the system and tell us first.After about 10-15 minutes he eventually took our documents and entered details on the system.He then smiled once more and said, 'now u'll see, it is approved'. He waited a few seconds, showed us the screen and said, u see, it shows that it will be approved. So he said to us he would order the phone and we should come back on Monday to pick up the phone. When we arrived on Monday, he said the the phone had not come yet. when we went back tuesday, he said the store was closing for renovations and we would have to get the phone elsewhere.still advised contract approved.went to MTN fourways, filled out a form, contract declined.

• Ke
    Keanne Jun 03, 2016

My phone was stolen earlier this year in Pretoria and it took me an hour and a half on the phone, paying for the call, to reach someone at the call center to block the card.

Not hard to believe I suppose, but I was robbed earlier today and again I had to hold on for 40 minutes for assistance, once again paying for the call.

The call center is an absolute mess with technology that doesn't work. You get cut off, the system doesn't accept your MTN number you are prompted to enter, and no one answers for what seems to be an eternity. Try phoning 083 1808 and see for yourself.

• Po
    Porappo May 03, 2016

upgrade
    I’m On a TopUP350, i got transferred to MTN from Altech, I want 2 upgrade, MTN say I Can BUT will loose my R2200+ airtime and 500+mg data they don’t offer the same deals .Thy say Use it loos it So it means I have to pay R2200.00 more on my new handset!!!
    I call that steeling (Fraud) Wat do you do????????????????????
    I have been a MTN/Altec h customer from the day MTN startup.

• Po
    Porappo May 03, 2016

I call that steeling (Fraud) Wat do you do????????????????????
    I have been a MTN/Altec h customer from the day MTN startup.

And that’s how thy treat there customers !!!

Madimetja Sebake May 01, 2016

Morning

I have problems with my phone it doesn't show network.since one week ago please help me

• Li
    Liqhame Dec 07, 2015

I must say that I am totally disgusted at the pathetic service received by MTN SA. I have been a subscriber for four years and 3 months back i went to upgrade a phone and i did put the insurance then on the following month i lost that phone when i went to the store they told me that i will get the phone after 2 payments & i have been waiting patiently all to found out the didn't do anything now they(MTN STORE IN ROBERTSON) just tell me i must do the query for my self 3 consultant saying the same thing which means i wont being helped...Really the service is poor i curse the day i started using mtn.

• Ca
    cat812 Dec 04, 2013

We logged a data usage dispute on 25 October- in the 40 days following this:
    1. It took: 34 emails, over 15 calls and 4 visits in store BEFORE WE GOT an email response
    2. We spent well over 2 hours on hold for 808 before giving up on 2 December.
    3. Email explanation deals with 21-09-2013 – 20-10-2013 where as billing period is 13-09-2013 – 12-10-2013
    4. Totals given in email explanation do not tally any where else
    5. 53.61MB promotional data not issued in October at all
    6. 15 days fail to appear on billing at all in October and November
    7. 2 days billed outside the billing period in November
    8. Incurred charges in November despite being below allocated data.
    9. STILL DISPUTE THAT USER WENT OVER 350MB AT ALL!!!

MTN billing makes no Sense:
    Oct Bill:
    Mymtn data used 868.16MB were used
    868.16MB – 350MB = 518.17 (should = R906.79)
    October Bill = R1027.76 (should = 587.29MB)

Nov Bill:
    Mymtn data used =268.06MB were used
    262.05 – 350 = R0
    October bill = R36.17 (should = 20.66)