Movado WatchDon't buy them

H

I purchased 2 Movado watches in September 2005. One of the watches has always had a problem with a haze forming on the crystal. It is a $1, 500 watch, but the haze makes it look cheap. I have to wipe the haze off of the crystal frequently so that I can see the face of the watch. During the first week of ownership, I brought the watch back to the retailer to inquire about the problem. The retailer acted confused and shrugged off my problem. Since I liked the watch so much, I kept wearing it. Before the 2 year warranty expired, I sent the watch back to Movado to request that they fix the problem. At that point, I was sure that the haze was a defect since my other Movado watch did not have the same problem. Movado performed some routine maintenance to my watch, and then sent it back to me without addressing my question about the haze. Again, I continued to wear the watch since I liked it so much. Recently, I brought the watch to a Movado store for a battery replacement. To my surprise, there was dust inside my watch underneath the crystal after they replaced my battery. I went back and forth with the Movado store employees before they finally agreed to fix the damage that they had caused to my watch while replacing the battery. At that point, I was angry and disappointed with Movado. I contacted Movado to make them aware of my experience in their store, and I mentioned my longstanding concern with the haze on my watch. Please see some of their responses to my e-mails:

"In checking the history of this model since the introduction in 2004, our technician has not shown an inordinate amount of repairs and or 'hazing' on this model and therefore this is not a manufacturer's defect. We believe it is due to wear and tear and also lack of maintenance." Here, Movado is asserting that there is no defect with my crystal because they have received few complaints about that particular model. They cite wear and tear, and a lack of maintenance, but my watch has had the problem from the first week that I owned it. I also had it maintained by them within the first 2 years of ownership, so there was no lack of maintenance on my part.

"Firstly, if your watch was purchased in 2005 it would no longer be covered under warranty. Also, by constantly wiping your watch with your shirt sleeves, this certainly would cause some type of abrasion. In cleaning a watch, it is recommended that a soft jewelers cloth should be used, not shirt sleeves. In terms of hazing, if your watch continue to show hazing initially, it could be a function of perspiration or perhaps humidity due to the weather pattern in Florida." Here, Movado tells me that they are not going to help me because my watch is out of warranty. I requested help twice when the watch was under warranty, and Movado didn't help me then either. Movado also tells me that I shouldn't have wiped the watch with my shirt sleeves. However, their store employee wiped my watch crystal several times with her rough coat sleeve during the battery replacement incident.

Finally, after several e-mails to Movado, they say this: "We are not sure of your dissatisfaction since our Movado Boutique and Movado Group, Inc. is covering the cost of your watch repair." I was very clear and articulate in describing the haze problem to them, and after trying to fend me off with several different defense tactics, they finally ended everything by acting like they didn't understand what I was saying to them.

I am very disappointed with my Movado purchase. When I pay for a luxury item, I expect to receive something of quality. I also expect to be treated well. Receiving such a poor quality item and poor customer service after spending $2, 500 with Movado has been very disappointing. I'm not sure what it would have cost Movado to replace my watch crystal, but I'm surprised that they would rather fight me than to help me receive the quality item that I paid them for.

• disenchanted99 Dec 10, 2013

Let me chime in...a year ago...I purchased the Rose Gold Movado unisex watch. After 6 months of wearing it to work, on and off...switching here and there with other watches...friends at work noticed the rose gold was coming off. That sucks. Then, I looked down one day... and the crystal was scratched and chipped. I asked the woman who sold it to me, why was it chipped, after all, I was TOLD it was sapphire crystal...NOT GLASS. She told me there was nothing I could do, since the warranty at the store was only 30 days. She said to ship it to Movado. Movado, THEN sends me a bill for $240 if I wanted them to fix it. Turns out...the two year warranty the seller told me about was ONLY on movement. I was LIED to by the sales lady. Movado sucks. And I even spoke with Movado management in my city, in which they told me the watch looked "worn hard." Like I wore it to my construction job for 6 months or something. The sales lady asked me if I'd been swimming or something in the watch! How rude! How stupid! What a minion! My best friend has the same issue with her Movado jewelry. Read the fine print people. There is no real warranty on external defects. Apparently wearing it "hard" means wearing it to your cosmetics management job for 6 months. You can buy a $10 watch and the movement can last YEARS...so to warranty the movement is nothing. I'd been trying to exchange the $600 watch for three months, and now its been a year since purchase. Never buy a watch with a glass face, that has no protective rim along the edge. I NEVER would have had I not been told it was unbreakable, sapphire crystal!

• To
    Too bad soo sad Dec 17, 2011

firstly I dont understand how your watch magically jumped from 1500 to 2500 in value. Secondly when you purchased the watch and noticed a problem you should have returned it to the store immediately, not worn it as if it was no problem, if you would have returned the watch in an un-worn condition, the manager would have more than likely exchanged the watch out for you for a new one, if they wouldn't exchange it, like the manager of that store didn't, you shouldn't have continued to wear it, you should have contacted the regional manager and explained your situation. Movado regional managers have the authority to have watches exchanged and even returned ( i have done it once, and it was no problem for them to get me a new watch) Also you might want to watch where you wear your watch. Since you describe the crystal as "hazy" then i assume you have condensation in the face, this only occurs from one thing. Gasket maintenance. if the watch is not completely water resistent then water can get in the face and cause discoloration and haze, or when you wash your hands with hot water, or take a hot shower, this excess heat can cause the gaskets to expand and the watch is no longer water proof. Sorry you had such a bad experience, but I honestly see fault on both sides. If you would have not accepted the store managers explanation and escalated the matter with the regional manager you probably would have had a different outcome, also waiting for almost 2 years to fix a problem that occured within the first week of purchase is a general no-no.

• Fi
    FireRx Nov 05, 2011

had a similar incident with MGI on battery replacement on my wife's movado. they call us back telling us the watch requires a complete overhaul due to it being "Dirty". Mind you my wife treat this watch like a expensive family heirloom. She wears it only on special occasion, and the rest of the time it's in a jewelry case. So you can imagine my Anger when they came up with that. I wrote a strongly worded letter to corporate, and to the Repair Unit at MGI. told them to send the watch back to me. I have a trusted jeweler in San Diego that I'll send it to doe battery replacement. I'm also watching for their response so I can send it to the FTC. The Watch should not be sold in the US if their going to use imaginary tactics on repairs and warranty items.