Memorial Hermann Health Systembilling malpractice

R Dec 30, 2019

I had a small stroke on 1/16/2018. I was admitted and spent one night at Memorial Herman. I was never billed out of pocket, even though I called and tried to pay my part of the bill immediately after my insurer stated I might owe $520.07. Account number: [protected]. I was told I owed nothing by MHH billing. Fast forward to October 2019. I was sent a bill for $520.07. I explained to MHH that I had heard nothing from them for over 20 months and that the timely billing statue of the Civil Practices and Remedies law went into effect after 11 months of no contact with me, specifically section 146.002 Timely Billing Required, the provider shall bill a patient or other responsible person for service provided to the patient no later than the first day of the 11th month after the date the services are provided. I had never heard from MHH until in excess of 20 months after services were provided. MHH are in violation of state law when demanding I pay anything. Each time I have called to address this with MHH billing, including talking with a supervisor, I'm told I owe the bill, even when I give them specific state statue. I do not under state law owe MHH any money. I feel I'm being harassed as part of the ongoing conflict between Cigna and MHH. Cigna has stated their clients are not being treated the same as a other insurance company's clients, as for billing, and has decided not to renew its contract with MHH. I believe at this time I will need to hire an attorney. I have also filed complaints with the Texas Department of Insurance, the State's Attorney General's Office and the State Department of Health Services. I am concerned that my account will be turned over to collections even though state law says otherwise. I want my account to be zeroed out. Thank you, Rick Archer [protected]

billing malpractice