Massage Envyharassment

I was told that there was no long term obligation when I enrolled and that it was month to month. As if that was not enough, I had a heart attack in early 2007 and had bypass surgery. These jerks harassed me in rehab. I told them what had happened, that I was in rehab, and that I could not have massage.

I did not hear from them for almost two years. Now I got a letter from a collection agency asking for $294.00. I have not been in their store since my surgery.

• Tm
    T Morgan Jan 08, 2020

Every time I schedule a facial they call me the day of the appointment to cancel it. This has now happened 4 times. Don't offer the service if you don't have an esthetician to complete the service.

cathy patterson Aug 24, 2019

requesting a refund if I am charged again.

• Ia
    Ian iuliucci Jul 30, 2019

I HAVE CANCELLED MY MEMBERSHIP 6 MONTHS AGO AND HAVE STILL BEEN CHARGED EVERY MONTH!!! No one is reaching out to me and I am still being charged. This is ridiculous. I have called corporate and left a message and complained here before.

We should be repaid for the months we paid and didn't get massages

• Wa
    Wanda Joseph May 10, 2021

@Ian iuliucci Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

cancleaccnt Jun 23, 2019

I have submitted multiple emails with the required form and to the email addresses provided to me but I am still being charged. I would like to send you the email and text messages for proof. I need the charges to stop and get credit for changes from late Feb 2019 to the recent change in late May.

Comments

• Di
    Diana Mathis May 25, 2019

This could be eliminated if you could cancel yourself on line. I can only reschedule but not eliminate the existing one. They never answer the phone! Apple valley

• Gr
    Gracie Hebert Jan 22, 2019

I signed up for a membership & was told that I could cancel said membership at anytime. I have not yet used the membership & cannot financially afford to pay for it due to financial changes as well as recent family issues. Upon contacting them, I was basically told that I cannot cancel.

Matt Kline Jan 22, 2019

I have tried to contact Massage Envy 3 times and cannot seem to cancel my account and have been unsuccessful. Basically, once you are i, it is impossible to get out.

• El
    E L Young Dec 13, 2018

I notified Massage Envy of my decision to discontinue my monthly membership. I had 5 credited massages to use in 60 days. I recently attempted to make appointments to have 2 massages done and was told I have to pay monthly membership fee first. I have credited massages I have to pay for in order to use. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB.

• Tm
    TMP78 Aug 27, 2014

Places with contracts are always considered a "scam" to those who don't actually take the time to READ the copy of the contract that they GIVE to you. It's your own fault for not understanding something you're signing, it's not the responsibility of the business to go over things with a fine-tooth comb because you're too lazy to read or ask questions. There are signs on the wall that say what you'll pay as a member vs non-member. No business that uses a contract allows you to just cancel your service because you don't want it anymore. You're all adults, most of you own cars, cell phones, homes, have cable, etc ... each of these things are attached to a contract and you sign them all because you need or want those things, therefore you have a contractual agreement to pay for those things until the term if your contract is met. Stop acting like a contract is a new or foreign idea, pay your bills the way you promised you would, and stop complaining when companies don't cater to your ridiculous whims.

• Gm
    gmcombs Jul 30, 2014

MASSAGE ENEMY does NOT offer full 60-minute massages, but only 50 minutes. You are getting 16.6% percent LESS time, than a regular One-Hour massage. THIS IS M.E.'S TRICKY WAY TO MAKE YOUR MASSAGE LOOK CHEAP (but really itsn't).

• To
    Tommy R. Apr 07, 2014

I live outside of Buffalo, NY and am dealing with a similar issue with there Transit Road, Depew, NY Location. I, too, was told that I could cancel at any time. I, unfortunately signed there contract (agreement) and was told that I could cancel my membership at ANY time. I lost my job, and I couldn't afford the $59 a month. They were able to "swipe" $59 from me, ONE time, and refuse to let me use it. I cancelled the card but every month I get a text message that MASSAGE ENVY is trying to charge my card. I have begged and pleaded with them to let me cancel...to no avail. I REFUSE to pay for services that I did not receive. I was dissatisfied with the service that I did receive. STAY AWAY FROM MASSAGE ENVY!!!

• He
    HERMOSADUDE Dec 28, 2013

WE NEED TO FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT. WE NEED TO HAVE THEM BROUGHT TO JUSTICE. SOMEONE NEEDS TO START IT AND EVERYONE HERE CAN BE A PARTY TO IT. THEY ARE CHARGING MY TEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER OVER $300 THAT SHE HASN'T USED IN SERVICES THEN SENT IT TO COLLECTIONS. SHE'S TEN! I'M A WIDOW, SHE'S BROKEN HEARTED AND THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO STOP HURTING AND BOTHERING PEOPLE.

anon35 Nov 21, 2013

I had the same EXACT experience with massage envy. As soon as I wanted to terminate and not renew the contract, the store owner STOLE MONEY right from my account! I have all the proof that I PROPERLY gave them WRITTEN notice that I did NOT want to renew, and I gave it with 60 days notice...the contract only said 30 days. So I paid for another session that I did NOT AUTHORIZE, but then they wouldn't give it to me. Said it wasn't in their computers. I did complain to the BBB, my local and state governments, the headquarters of massage envy - and nothing was done or even offered, Excuses and blatant LIES. The only recourse I had to ensure they did not continue to steal from me was to cancel the bank card and get a new one. Haven't had an issue since, and I guess some [censored] at that dump needed my $50 more than I did. I will NEVER EVER go back there, and I tell EVERYONE I know about my experience. Then, I tell them where to go INSTEAD...which, btw, is CHEAPER and MUCH BETTER! :-)

• Sp
    Sparo Mar 08, 2013

Vultures Business Practices!!! Their contract is unethical.

• En
    enzo656 Jan 13, 2013

the main thing with any contract is too read that is why you have two eyes !!! read what you are signing and ask questions.

• Je
    Jessicale May 19, 2012

Do you people often sign contracts with out reading them?? Because that just wouldn't be very smart now would it?

• Ji
    JIM RYDER Dec 20, 2011

BEWARE!!! They will do anything to get your credit card information. I currently have prepaid massages and they will not allow me to use them without given them an updated expiration date for credit card. Thank goodness my card expired or I would continue to have money taken out of my account. I explained to them that I have gift certificates and have multiple prepaid massages already but they will not schedule me an appointment without a new credit card. SCAM BEING RUN IN LAFAYETTE, LA.

• Ka
    karenmarieb Aug 06, 2011

GOOGLE MASSAGE ENVY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW. INITIATOR OF THE CLASS ACTION SUIT IS A MEMBER OF THIS SITE. CONTACT EACH OTHER AND LETS GET OUR MONEY BACK.

• Fi
    Filro Mar 22, 2011

I have had bad customer service experiences with Massage Envy but some great therapy. I have been going to the location at Coconut Point in Estero, Florida for about a year. In fact, I am one month away from completing my initial agreement. This area of Florida is a tourist area so scheduling in the Spring is difficult. Last week was the fourth time I arrived expecting to have an appointment and been told I did not. I am a management professional who at one time in my life owned a spa and so I understand scheduling. Clearly the staff does not understand scheduling. I once arrived and they had switched my scheduled therapist with a woman therapist. I am rather large muscled man and modest. It was very awkward. Twice I arrived and was told they had called me to cancel as the therapist was ill. Yet I have no record of receiving a telephone call. I live 40 minutes from this location. My office is 15 minutes away. Last week I called 5 days in advance and was told that the only thing available for my therapist was Friday. I guess I should of clarified the date. I stayed after work on Friday night killing time and then went to the appointment. I wasted 3 hours in anticipation of the massage. When I arrived they told me I did not have an appointment. The manager was there and became really defensive. Saying my therapist had not been scheduled to work since January. This was not true since I had seen my therapist at Massage Envy both in January and February. The receptionist acted like I had three heads and informed me my appointment wasn't for another week. I don't think a normal scenario is to schedule two weeks out for a massage but even if the error was on my side all I got was a huge lump of attitude and with a manager standing right there feeding into it. You get what you pay for and this is not a professional therapy clinic it is a shopping mall ice cream parlor and $5 haircut joint.

• Bl
    blahh123 Mar 12, 2011

You'd think it's just the contracts, but it isn't. Massage Envy is a dirty business, and if you're satisfied with them, you're only seeing the side they want you to. These people have lower moral standing than car salesmen. Congratulations on feeding their undeniable greed.

• Sc
    scarletRR Mar 08, 2011

I don't work at Massage Envy, and I don't feel "tricked" into signing their contract. If you read the contract before signing, you would know what kind of CONTRACT you entered into. The people that work at the counter at ME are pretty much in high school or college, so to act like they pressured you at gunpoint to sign something is ridiculous. Just tell the 18 year old behind the counter to quietly chew her gum while you take your time to read the contract. Businesses have contracts for a reason. It's a BUSINESS. As a landlord, I know how irritating, expensive, and inconvenient it is for people to violate or try to violate their contract. It's a business, people. It's not the human welfare board. And, I witnessed someone canceling their membership once their term had expired and the people at ME were totally cool and did exactly what the contract allows--gave them the remaining massages to be used within 30 days.

• My situation is from a former employee side...I was fired like one of the previous people for exposing unethical practices of the owner in Mequon, Wisconsin...I will be finding EVERY avenue I can to expose her deceit. I was "LET GO" as she said...she removed me from the schedule from that time forward but, then has lied to the unemployment office and said that I quit...that I must have "assumed" I was fired...I see a newspaper article in my near future!! BBB and anything else I can use to expose her.

My story:
    I have been a Licensed Massage Therapist for 22yrs...I became an employee for ME because I was starting all over after going through an annulment due to fraud and moved. It was the best temporary solution until I could start another independant practice at a Chiropractic office which I have always done. The pay is ridiculous for my experience (or anyones experience for that matter) and I was hoping for compensation for that but, it was not to be. I was paid the same as someone who had just graduated but...remember at this time in my life...I didn't have a choice.

Much to my horror after being there for only a short month, I started to see the unethical flaws to this practice. I heard there were at least two therapists there that didn't have their licenses in hand yet...then I saw that they played favoritism towards one of the employees because she would take 10...yes, 10 massages a day if they can squeeze them all in. I heard that she would even take the ones who should have had their membership revoked because of sexual misconduct but NOOOOOOOO...they don't want to loose money from that membership so, the one who has no ethics, morals or COMMON SENSE or self respect would take those people...TRUE STORY!!!

Then I saw how they lie to their employees and tell them that their limits would be respected and that they would get bonuses for repeated customers and paid for cancellations...all was not true.

They overbook, and for many...if you complained..."OH WELL" ...they say..."We couldn't ask you if you would take it...you were in an appointment"...how lame is that?

On several occasions, I politely would have conversations with the owner "Jean" about these practices and that the complaints from her therapists were justifiable and that her "rules" were inconsistant, not written in the employee handbook or Corporate handbook...and didn't apply to EVERYONE...she let some people off if they had a good clientelle following.

Well...she of course had a good "REASON" for everything that an employee would confront her about and in my case when I asked for Saturdays off because I was going to start back to school to renew one of my medical certifications so I could get a regular paycheck to be able to budget with ...I was told that she had this new rule that EVERYONE now has to work at least every other Saturday. (By the way, in my researching to find a college who had this course I needed, I found one that had classes just on the weekends Saturday and Sunday. What a great plan that was!!!) Up to this time, I had been working EVERY Saturday. I offered to take on a couple other days at at the 3-9 shift which was one of the busiest times and I also notified them in writing about the schedule change.

Well, stupid me...I wasn't one of those people that she would make an exception with...the others had quite the following...I hadn't yet been there nearly long enough to have a constant clientelle so, I was "LET GO"...but, the best is yet to come.

My schedule was then erased...and she claimed that I QUIT. The next day she bragged to all the co-workers that She fired me and that they too can be fired if they weren't careful. I got it in writing that she told one of the employees I was fired because she has now lied to the unemployment offices saying I ASSUMED I was fired but that I QUIT...

WOW!!!...

So, if your a Massage Therapist just starting over...new to the area...BE VERY careful for working for franchises that have wishy washy owners/managers/lead therapists...etc... make it ONLY temporary and get the heck out!!

• Bv
    BVS Feb 17, 2011

Folks please remember, this is a complaints board. All those who post positive remarks are Massage Envy employees. Do you really think for a moment that if someone was happy with their service that they would access a "complaints board?" Absolutely not! Those positive remarks are all show with no substance behind them, It just shows you to what great lengths M.E. would go through to suppress all the negative comments against them.. These people are thieves, cheats and liars. I have exerienced it all from them... and I for one abided by the terms of the contract. I fullfilled my 6 month obligation, gave my 30 day notice and they still have not stopped stealing money out of my account. I for one, will write the Attorney General and Consumer Affairs with my complaint. This Friday (2-18-11) I will go to the local courthouse and file a small claims action against M.E..for being the thieving [censor] they are.

• Ti
    Tiredofyoupeople Jan 19, 2011

Oh. My. God. Are you people so insipient that you can't comprehend the fact that you just might need to take the time to read what they put in front of you? Even if you don't take the time when you're signing it for whatever reason, maybe your children are stuck inside a burning building who can truly say, you could take the time to skim over it once you get home and you just might notice (if you use all of your 16 brain cells) that you have 3 days within your inital term to cancel, no questions asked.

Stop blaming the company! Look at it this way, this product has helped so many people, myself included, but a few of their hundreds of thousands of clients couldn't be bothered to do what should be common sense and now they're trying their hardest to give it a bad name! Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

I understand when the therapist has done something wrong but most of this nonsense could've been easily avoided. It's things like this that make you understand why America is so far behind intellectually compared to the rest of the world. Instead of whining, how's about you become a bit more literate? You just might save yourself from making the same mistake again.

• Co
    contactemail Jan 08, 2011

I've done a search on the net and find many, many folks who have had the same bad experience that I've had by making the horrible mistake of signing up for the "Wellness Program" or the monthly commitment. I've had to block my credit card to try and stop the monthly charge and that's after spending much time and effort to jump through the hoops Massage Envy puts in the way to try and get out of it. Unethical at least. Dishonest business practices is more like it. Run away! Don't go near Massage Envy in the first place but if you've got to have a discount massage please don't sign up for their monthly program because like me and like many, many others you're bound to have an impossible time getting out of it. Quicksand. Is that relaxing?!?!

• Co
    cocoayin1 Jan 05, 2011

It seems to me that many of the people complaining did not read their contract and perhaps have difficulty following directions. A friend of mine is the VP of marketing for L.A. Fitness (a West-coast based gym franchise) and disclosed to me that his company trained Massage Envy on the auto-renewable (month-to-month contract) membership. The business model is such that you can receive a service every month at your behest, much like going to the gym every month if you so choose. If you do not want to regularly receive a service or have any reservations about the service you've already received, then why sign up in the first place?

It is too bad that many of the people on this complaint board did not read their contract or do not have enough income to sustain a costly membership, but in reality, other auto-renewable contracts (such as your phone bill or gym membership or car insurance payment) work the same way. If you no longer want something, put it in written notice and call your credit company; simple as that. If, on the other hand, you want a massage every month for approximately $30 less than it costs at a spa, Massage Envy is a great choice, and from a business standpoint, a great investment.

valueseek Oct 16, 2010

Do not get involved they change their story as time goes on do you search many unhappy people. Which I would have looked online first to find out the truth about Massage Envy unethical practices.

valueseek Oct 16, 2010

Don't go to Massage Envy in Arvada Colorado.
    Very bad deal so sad they have to lie cheat & steal to make a lousy buck$

valueseek Oct 16, 2010

Massage Envy is one of the biggest rip offs I have ever seen.

valueseek Oct 15, 2010

Massage Envy is a SCAM. They took me for $100 +
    Be warned don't give them your Credit Card. So Sad.

• Ge
    Geminishele Oct 14, 2010

All comments are correct, Massage Envy is a fraudulent business that needs to be shut down and all should STAY AWAY!

• Ju
    junkjilani Aug 07, 2010

Massage Envy - Business Mal practice

Please stay away from these frauds.

They lure you into their contracts with false information saying. It will cost you $78 without contract but $39 with contract. What they don't tell you is you have to pay monthly membership charge of $20 which makes it $59 not $39. By the time you know this you must have signed the contract. When you ask them about it any additional massages in the month will cost you $39(nice).

Hassles to get out of the contract:
    Get a doc certificate to get out the contract. What kind of sane person will sign the contract if he knows that he has to get a doc certificate to get out of the contract. But they withheld this information to get you sign the contract. The second is move away 25 miles from you current address ( wow so I have to move away to get out of your contract).

When I insisted that I do not like their service and to get me out of their contract they said to get it from other towns. This is real hypocrisy they say they take you out of their contracts when you move away 25 miles but they want you to go other towns to get service in case you don't like service in this town - Great.

Final touch - Their contracts are auto renewed. Incase you are not careful - you are stuck for another cycle.

Please raise your voice against them.

• Kr
    Kratos129 Jul 26, 2010

I was fired for Exposing the Truth about the Corruption in Health Care and I was told they were firing me because I was talking about RELIGION! AND THATS BS!

• Kr
    Kratos129 Jul 26, 2010

I was fired from massage envy for telling people about the corruptions in the health industry and I was fired for it, and they said I was talking about Religion!!!

• Er
    ericrock1234 Jul 19, 2010

I used to work at a Massage Envy here in Washington and let me first off tell you the ins and outs of Massage Envy. They are a franchise who offers a massage membership at a cheap price. I went through numerous trainings to "sell" the membership and there is so much bad about this company. I understand sales, but using forceful sales to get people to sign things when they are half alseep is ridiculous. They keep track of every visit and the "closing %" of sales per rep and on what visit. The reps get paid commission per membership they sell and they get more if they sign you up on the 1st visit. For people who just want a one time massage, good luck getting out of there with that! They will print out the contracts before you even get done with your massage and basically force you to sign the agreement. I know because I have done it. We were taught to tell people "it's a month to month contract and you can cancel at anytime with a 30-day written notice" and we were supposed to leave it at that. The fact is, you must medically be prohibited from getting massages or live far from a clinic to cancel. The trainers basically told us that since we didn't mention any of that we weren't in the wrong and that they were the ones signing the agreement to bind them to the purchases. I hate that place and will never go back. I still talk to some of the clients that I became friends with there and some of the therapists who still work there and they are telling me it is getting worse. If you are thinking about going there, DON'T!

carlbern Jul 03, 2010

Massage Envy is very bad about ending your 12 month contract, and then it goes month to month on your credit card. You give them the paper work required and they say that there manager will get back to you on the cancellation. They never do and you can never talk to a manager. The problem is they want to keep billing you. You have to get a lawyer to end your contract. I would never sign a contract with them. They are really bad news.

• JonCarder Jul 02, 2010

I was blatantly told that signing the contract doesn't result in any commitment and I can buy massages whenever I want but that there is no commitment or minimum. I was foolish enough not to thoroughly read the contract and just trust them. I just haven't been ripped off like this in a while so I typically trust businesses. But thanks to ME I'll be much more careful from now on.

You know what else just screams SHADY, if you don't use the massages in the first year they just disappear (unless you keep your membership and keep paying monthly). So basically you pay them money, they have no cost in relation top it, and then they just decide to keep your money and give you nothing in return. How could they possibly justify expiring massages you paid for??? This is not a perishable food item. I asked their manager and she agreed it didn't seem right but that's "just corporate policy".

I'm an entrepreneur and it really pisses me off to see people starting business and somewhere along the line decide to allow unethical policies in order to help there business grow. Build a company that makes customers happy and your business will grow, you don't need these unethical tactics. In the long run these unethical policies will bring the company to ruins.

angry in tacoma Jun 04, 2010

LIke all the others, I was very upset on how I was handled after signing my contract. 5 days after sighning the 12 month contract, 20 days BEFORE the 1st payment was scheduled to be taken out, my car broke down and I had to buy a new one and had to find ways to cut some expenses out of my budget. I wasnt too worried about cancelling the contract because it was explained to me that I would be able to cancel if there was a "life changing event" like loosing your job, and I even went as far as asking them if I simply changed my mind after a few months, would I be able to cancell? The answer was yes and the manager of the Tacoma Mall store was overseeing the transaction from her desk and didnt clrify of specify the terms at which I was asking. The answer was just "yes you can cancel if you change your mind. When I explained this to the manager when I was trying to cancel she told me that it doesnt matter what the associate told me, the terms are in the contract. Which by the way was barely visible because of a cartridge that was running low on ink. That is a horrible and decieving buisness practice. So what they are telling me is they can lie and decieve while I am signing the contract, and it doesnt matter if it is different from what the paper says. Another thing that bothers me is that when I asked the associate for the corporate #, she plainly said she doesnt know it. When I asked her to ask her manager, who all of a sudden is now in a meeting, she put me on hold for 7 minutes and then told me that her manager said I can get off the website. I said to her "I THOUGHT YOUR MANAGER WAS IN A MEETING" and she replied, 'well I knocked on her door while in the meeting" Give me a break. This just fueled the fire. I left a message for the manager to get back to me when she was out of "the meeting" and didnt recieve a call back. 4 hours later I called back and the associate at the desk asked me for my name, put me on hold, came back on the phone to tell me she just stepped out! Iwill never recommend this establishment to anyone, and plan to warn any potential clients that I come in contact with who HAD planned to use this company, about their buisness ethics. Who treats people this way?

• Bm
    BMichelle Apr 29, 2010

I used to work at ME and I have mixed feelings about the membership. Yes, you obviously need to read what you are signing and actually listen to what we are saying. Some people are extremely rude and just sign it. I understand it's not what you wanna hear after a massage but it's your fault you signed and didn't listen. Anyway, after the 12 months is over, it continues on a month-to-month basis so you are no longer commited for another full year. It's not monthly to begin with, only after the year is completed. You need 30 days written notice to cancel at the end of your 12 months if you don't want it billing you anymore, because it is AUTO-RENEWABLE. It will just keep going until you give 30 days. The thing I hate is that you really cannot get out of the contract during the year unless a doctor says you can't get massages anymore or you move outside a 25 mile radius of any ME. Where I worked, the owner was a complete idiot and all he cared about was money. I personally explained everything on the contract and didn't push people into signing it if they really didn't want to (since our commission sucked anyway). The pricing for the membership is actually fairly good but you're just stuck with a membership for 3, 6, or 12 months (3 month membership has to be paid all upfront). If you have questions during the pitch, you need to ask and clarify everything. Most ME's are different on pricing, grace periods, and all that. If you wanna cancel you have to sign a form via email or at the clinic you signed up at.

• Th
    thesolution Apr 15, 2010

NOTE TO ALL POSTERS:

the solution is simple. call your bank. tell them you wish to contest the charge. ME will pay a "chargeback fee" of $20-40. plus, if their chargeback rate goes over 2%, visa and mastercard will shut them down.

PASS IT ON.