Menu
LightInTheBox Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

LightInTheBox
reviews & complaints

www.lightinthebox.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.1 19 Reviews

LightInTheBox Complaints Summary

0 Resolved
10 Unresolved
Our verdict: Engaging with LightInTheBox at a 0% resolution rate requires careful navigation. Deep-dive into detailed customer experiences to uncover systemic issues. Critically assess their service descriptions against actual user feedback. When interacting, document every detail, as comprehensive records are vital in such scenarios. Exploring alternatives and understanding your consumer rights are crucial steps. If necessary, be prepared to seek external advice or intervention. In challenging service landscapes, informed decision-making and proactive steps are essential for protecting your interests.
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for LightInTheBox has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of LightInTheBox. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
File a complaint

Newest LightInTheBox reviews & complaints

O
1:19 pm EDT
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox LightInTheBox (LITB) Sweatshirt Review: Quality and Delivery Caution

I've recently purchased a sweatshirt from LightInTheBox (LITB) and initially posted a two-line review expressing my distaste for the product, but they did not publish it. So, I've decided to write a more detailed review online so that other buyers can read it before making a similar purchase like mine.

The sweatshirt I purchased was advertised as a cotton garment, but upon receiving it, I found it to be mostly made of polyester. Although the item looked fantastic in the advertisement photos, it did not capture the actual product's cheap appearance in person. The design on the silky stretchy fabric seemed much flatter than in the advertisement and had none of the depth represented in the promo pictures.

Moreover, the color of the "brown" sweatshirt I ordered was nowhere near the same hue as advertised; instead, it had shades of purple and grey, including the cuffs and neckline, which were supposed to be beige. That made it look even more purple than brown as per the picture on the website. Besides, the sweatshirt did not possess the traditional ribbed fabric, as the waistband was of the same material as the rest of the body. While wearing it, I felt as if I ordered a knockoff version of an expensive designer sweatshirt that did not meet my expectations.

Lastly, I faced some delivery issues, as the tracking showed the package delivered on the 16th, but it reached me two days later. Moreover, LITB sent me an email saying there would be a 1-3 week delay in my order, causing me to worry and check their return policy. Speaking of which, all these companies have the same return policies; they advertise that the item is returnable, but if bought directly from their website, one cannot return it to the US address on the label. The package has to be sent back to China with all the custom duties and international shipping costs that are solely the customer's responsibility.

However, after checking out the shipping options, I decided to settle for the 40% refund and kept the sweatshirt, as the shipment charges for returning the package to China would have been costly. The whole process was time-consuming and disheartening, and initially, I expected an expensive sweatshirt at around $25, but I wouldn't have paid more than $6 for the actual product.

That said, the company's customer support via chat was helpful in checking my order status and dealing with the shipment issues I was facing. As a tip for others, I would suggest buying items from LITB through Amazon as the latter stands behind your purchase and even offers a full refund if required.

Overall, I recommend potential buyers to browse through LITB's website with caution, considering the quality and delivery issues I’ve faced with the company's sweatshirt product. Despite that, they do offer some very appealing products that are not available elsewhere, so give it a shot if you're vigilant and up for some risk-taking.

G
12:14 pm EDT
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Poor customer service and lack of trust- My experience with LightInTheBox

Hey there,

I recently had an experience with LightInTheBox that I have to share. I was pretty disappointed with their customer service, to be honest. When I reached out to them for help, I received a letter from one of their supervisors, Pinni, that had a really negative tone. I thought it was pretty unprofessional of them to speak to a customer like that.

I provided them with information about an issue I had with the delivery of my watch. But even though I was sure that the information I gave them was correct, they insisted that it wasn't. It was frustrating to deal with a company that didn't trust what I was telling them, and it made me feel like they didn't care about providing good customer service.

As it turns out, my information was correct. I received a letter from Alexander Morris at UPS in Sweden that confirmed that they had failed to deliver my package in a timely manner. UPS also delivered it to the wrong address and the packaging wasn't adequate to protect my watch, which arrived broken. All of this was confirmed in writing, so I'm not sure why LightInTheBox didn't believe me at first.

It's really disappointing that LightInTheBox didn't take responsibility for these mistakes and offer me compensation for the broken product and their poor customer service. It's pretty clear to me that they don't value their customers very much. I think it's important for businesses to admit when they've made a mistake and take steps to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, LightInTheBox didn't do that in my case, and I was left feeling pretty dissatisfied with my experience.

I hope that LightInTheBox can work on improving their communication with customers and providing better customer service moving forward. It's frustrating to deal with a business that doesn't seem to care about its customers, and I hope they can turn things around. Thanks for reading my review.

Sincerely,
A disappointed customer

M
10:51 am EDT
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Disappointed with LightInTheBox.com: Poor Customer Service and Communication

I ordered two dresses from LightInTheBox.com, one in two different sizes, for around $250. I was hesitant at first since I had heard mixed reviews from my friends. However, I wasn't able to find a similar style of dress anywhere else so I decided to give it a try. I needed the dress for an important event and decided to opt for expedited shipping. After placing the order on April 1st, I saw that the estimated delivery date was April 5th. However, after receiving the confirmation email, the estimated arrival window had changed to April 11th through the 22nd.

I was displeased about the change and submitted a ticket to support to inquire about the delay. They informed me that my order was being processed and would be shipped no later than April 11th. They also stated that the total delivery time would consist of processing and shipping time. I had assumed that the delivery date meant I would receive the dress by that specific date, rather than shipping it. At this point, I was annoyed and requested for cancellation, which they declined as it was past 24 hours. They then explained that there would be a 50% handling fee for cancelling as they had already begun processing the order.

It is now May 5th and my order is still processing, although the dress is a made-to-measure type and not made-to-order, which made me question why there would be a handling fee for cancellations. I opened several more tickets to ask not to cancel my order, having believed that I would receive a full refund if the dresses didn't fit and needed to be returned. I also requested confirmation of this and compensation for the $30 I spent on expedited shipping, feeling misled.

Although after receiving a response from my third ticket, they did not confirm anything I asked and only informed me that they would continue processing my order. I was concerned that this could be a scam, as it had been a month of waiting for a dress that was supposed to have expedited shipping. I messaged the customer service again, and they apologized for the delay, stating that the supplier was facing lockdown measures and couldn't resume working on the dress. They also offered compensation of 40% rewards for future purchases or a 30% cashback refund, which I found humiliating.

At this point, I was angry and frustrated. I felt like I was cheated out of hard-earned money. I purchased this dress for a particular event, and the company failed to deliver it. They didn't offer me a full refund for my expedited shipping and have now given me a weak 30% cashback as compensation. I hope that at least someone from customer service reads this review and compensates me since it's a lot of money for me.

I am truly sympathetic to the Covid lockdowns creating supply chain issues, but the company's failure to communicate with me and their suppliers is unacceptable. I took a chance with this company, feeling skeptical, and now I wish I never bought from them in the first place. The only way for this company to redeem themselves and gain my trust back is by providing better customer service, such as providing me with a full refund for the cancellation, or confirming the return policy, and offering to pay for the shipping in case both dresses don't fit.

In conclusion, I was disappointed with LightInTheBox's customer service and communication. $250 is a lot of money, and I think they could do better than a disappointing 30% cashback as compensation. I hope that in the future, they will improve their customer service to avoid situations like mine.

Is LightInTheBox legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals LightInTheBox as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 0% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, LightInTheBox stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering LightInTheBox should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

LightInTheBox earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: LightInTheBox achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

A long registered date for lightinthebox.com can be seen as a positive aspect for LightInTheBox as it indicates a commitment to maintaining the website and its domain name for a long period of time. It also suggests that the company is organized and has taken steps to secure its online presence.

The age of LightInTheBox's domain suggests that they have had sufficient time to establish a reputation as a reliable source of information and services. This can provide reassurance to potential customers seeking quality products or services.

Lightinthebox.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows LightInTheBox website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Several positive reviews for LightInTheBox have been found on various review sites. While this may be a good sign, it is important to approach these reviews with caution and consider the possibility of fake or biased reviews.

We looked up LightInTheBox and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

Lightinthebox.com appears to have online shopping features, it's important to know that the platform supports an extensive range of payment methods, making it convenient and easy to complete your transaction. The payment procedure on the website is also relatively simple and straightforward, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience for buyers.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While LightInTheBox has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 0% of 10 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • If you purchased a website from LightInTheBox that is currently for sale, and you did not receive what you paid for, you may be a victim of a scam. To try and get your money back, you can try contacting the seller, filing a dispute with the payment platform, or reporting the seller to the relevant authorities.
  • We found that the website LightInTheBox is based in a high-risk country and appears to be selling well-known brands at unusually low prices. This could be a sign of potential fraud or counterfeit products.
D
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Disappointing Experience with LightInTheBox: Potentially Fake MP4 Player and Poor Customer Service

I recently purchased an MP4 music player from LightInTheBox and was disappointed to discover that it may be a fake. Upon further inspection, I found that the item was extremely light and the camera quality was poor. Moreover, the touch screen was unresponsive. However, my experience with LightInTheBox customer service representative, Simon, was not any better.

During my chat with Simon, I demanded answers as to why the item in question seemed fake and received very little in the way of explanation. Simon only stated that all of their products are new and made in China. When I asked why the items were so cheap, Simon stated that they had the "best way" of getting low priced goods. When I pressed for more information, Simon only replied that it was a "secret." This lack of transparency only fueled my suspicions that there may be something fraudulent going on.

As a consumer, I have the right to know where my goods come from and whether or not they are authentic. Simon's lack of cooperation only strengthened my belief that LightInTheBox may not be a trustworthy source for purchasing goods. The refusal to divulge information and the evasiveness was unacceptable. Additionally, Simon seemed to misunderstand my concerns, as he suggested that I buy a smaller item to check the quality. I was not interested in purchasing another item from a company that had already sold me a potentially fake product.

Overall, I was quite unsatisfied with my experience with LightInTheBox and their customer service representative, Simon. The lack of transparency and unwillingness to provide clear answers leads me to question the legitimacy of their business. I would not recommend purchasing from them until they become more forthright with their customers.

E
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox LightInTheBox: A Chinese wholesaler of cheap products with imitations and claims of high quality

This online shopping destination, LightInTheBox, is a website that sells products that are openly identified as imitations and close copies without fake branding, manufactured and distributed from China. Unlike the illegal fakers and sellers of phony designer goods, the goods sold on this website are not represented as genuine designer brands.

While most of the products are not likely to be confused with quality products manufactured in the West, they do not attempt to mislead potential buyers. However, manufacturers on this website may mislead customers in their product descriptions. For example, a 20-megapixel webcam or a 6000-watt stereo system may not be as good as advertised, so it is necessary to do some research before purchasing.

The webcam's sensor may not be of good quality, and a USB connection couldn't handle 20-megapixel resolution anyway. Meanwhile, the 6000-watt hi-fi's output quoted is PMPO, which stands for "peak music power output." However, this is a meaningless and inflated interpretation of the actual power and often used to mean "peak momentary power," which is the theoretical maximum the system can handle for a microsecond before exploding. Nonetheless, these terms are not scientific, and there is no standard way of measuring these supposed capabilities.

As a Chinese wholesaler, it is not their responsibility to be held accountable for what the manufacturers claim. Buyers must be cautious and aware of the products they purchase. It is important to understand that this is a Chinese wholesaler of very cheap products. Therefore, it is a lucky dip, or bargain bin, and users must use common sense when shopping.

Customers must disregard "discounts" as meaningless and "reviews" as suspect. Even the king of customer reviews, Amazon, is notoriously riddled with fakes. Customer service is not guaranteed to be top-notch either. Most far-Eastern sites will not accept returns, or they will suggest that the customer pays the return shipping fees, which can be rather expensive.

In conclusion, LightInTheBox can be compared to buying off a total stranger in a bar instead of purchasing over the counter at a store. Buyers must be cautious and understand the risks involved. The website offers cheap products that may be of subpar quality; however, if buyers enter with low expectations, they have a better chance of not getting ripped off.

B
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Lightinthebox.com Review: Poor Customer Service & Quality, Avoid at All Costs

Lightinthebox.com has an unimpressive reputation when it comes to customer service, as there is no easy way to communicate with them and they seem to avoid addressing customer concerns. While there is someone monitoring the site, they are not helpful and seem to just prolong the resolution process. Return addresses are difficult to obtain as well, with customers being told to have no discussion with the company and buy tracking, proof of delivery, and insurance. The address they finally give is very lengthy and includes unnecessary information, making it almost impossible to use on a standard shipping label. Some customers have had even worse experiences, with their packages being refused after being sent to the supposedly correct address.

When it comes to sizing, Lightinthebox.com automatically blames the customer, even though their sizing chart is often inaccurate. Their quality is also consistent with the quality of products made in communist sweatshops - unsurprising, as China is a communist country. They stack order numbers, which makes resolving issues more complicated, and they don't even acknowledge or use order numbers.

Trying to resolve problems through customer service can be frustrating, as the emails are vague and unhelpful, and they never seem to offer a satisfactory solution. They hope to distract customers with the prospect of 10% discount codes to be used on larger orders, which can be tempting for some. Others wait months for refunds, but roadblocks and delays seem to be the norm. Lightinthebox.com blocks their customers' emails and has no working chat option on their website, so customers are left with no choice but to try to communicate through the ticketing system. Unfortunately, this system doesn't seem to work either, as open tickets are often closed without resolution.

Overall, Lightinthebox.com's customer service is subpar, and their products are of questionable quality. It's best to avoid them altogether and look for a more reliable eCommerce site.

N
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox LightInTheBox Review: Frustrating and Disappointing Experience, Missing Parts, Poor Customer Service

I highly advise against ordering from LightInTheBox, as my personal experience has been nothing but frustrating and disappointing. I placed an order for a LED pendant light which cost me over 250 euros, which includes the lamp itself, shipping fees, and taxes. However, upon receiving the package, I discovered that some of the parts were missing, thus rendering the product impossible to assemble.

My first complaint about this store is that the instructions provided with the lamp were useless. I understand that the lamp is not that hard to put together, but having proper instructions would have made the process significantly easier and more straightforward. Secondly, I have been trying for almost six months now to obtain the missing parts. I have received shipments containing nuts and additional parts that were not needed, and only two of the missing parts were sent to me. I had to pay a tax for the parts that should have been included in the package in the first place.

I have sent dozens of pictures and had several exchanges with the customer service team, but they still made a mess of the situation. The latest response I received from them is a request to find a shop that can make custom metal parts similar to the one I need. Meanwhile, I continue to wait for a solution that never comes.

Despite sending messages back and forth, all I get are empty promises and automated responses, such as "Thank you for waiting," "We are currently in contact with the supervisor," and "We appreciate your patience." It's frustrating because even though they replied promising to provide a solution in 24 hours, I waited for a week, and still, nothing happened.

In addition, the parcel was priced at $40+, and I had to pay a tax for parts that should have been included in the box. It's not smart to spend your money here. You'll save on nerves and time. The company claims to care about its customers but doesn't follow through. I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to address this issue, with no compensation offered whatsoever.

I recently received an offer of a 30% refund, but that solution is entirely unacceptable. The company states that the pendant lamp is ready to ship in 5-10 days, but it's been six months, and still, I have not received my missing parts nor a full refund that covers all the expenses that I have incurred in this ordeal. In conclusion, I urge you to steer clear of LightInTheBox and buy your products elsewhere to avoid ending up in a similar situation.

H
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Terrible Experience with LightInTheBox - Late Delivery and Unhelpful Customer Service

I have recently had a terrible experience with LightInTheBox, a website that sells clothing, accessories and home decor. My brother ordered a set of make-up brushes for my birthday present on the 2nd of January, and according to the website, they shipped it out on the 4th of January. However, until this day, the product has not arrived. We chose the shipping method that claimed it would take 5-13 days!

I have reached out to them many times through email, stating that the product hasn't arrived and that the tracking has stopped from the 15th of January. I requested either for them to do something about it or to send me a refund. However, all I received from them were the same generic responses indicating that I should wait or call my local postal office. It has been over a month now, and I am still waiting for the package that may never arrive.

The responses I received from them were all very similar and vague. They apologized for the delay but gave different reasons like customs delay, failed delivery due to my absence, and even an extremely busy schedule of the courier. The most frustrating response I received was when they told me to go the post office and prove that I have not received the package. I am not sure how anyone can do that!

From my experience, it seems that all LightInTheBox wants to do is to take your money and run you around looking for an unset product. They are not helpful at all and barely seem to care about their customers. I had never been so angry with a company before, and all I want now is a refund of my money.

In conclusion, I would not recommend ordering anything from LightInTheBox. If you do order something, be prepared to receive it late or even not receive it at all. It is best to avoid this website and save yourself the frustration.

E
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox LightInTheBox Review: Poor Quality, Difficult Returns and Fraudulent Charges

more expensive than the costume itself. They refused to cover the return shipping costs. To add insult to injury, they also informed me that they do not accept returns if the item had already been worn. Well, how else am I supposed to know it doesn't fit or is not as described? Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed with my experience at LightInTheBox.

After reading reviews from other customers, I realized that my experience wasn't unique. Many people have received incorrectly sized or poor-quality items that look nothing like the pictures on the website. The return policy is also a nightmare, with customers being required to take multiple photos, sometimes even of the original packaging, just to initiate a return. It seems like they make it intentionally difficult for customers to return items.

In addition to the quality and return issues, there have also been reports of fraudulent charges on customers' credit cards and slow shipping times, with packages taking weeks or even months to arrive.

In conclusion, I would not recommend LightInTheBox to anyone. The prices might seem tempting, but the risk of receiving a subpar product and dealing with the hassle of a difficult return policy just isn't worth it. It's better to spend a bit more money on a reputable retailer and have peace of mind knowing that you're getting a quality product and good customer service.

T
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Light in the Box Review: Unprofessional Customer Service and Unreasonable Return Policy

I recently decided to order some new pants from the online retailer Light in the Box. I was excited to receive my order, which consisted of two pairs of casual pants in two different styles. According to the sizing charts provided on their website, I needed a 3XL of one type and a 4XL of the other. However, when my order arrived several weeks later, I was very disappointed with the products.

Both pairs of pants were completely the wrong size and didn't fit me at all. One pair was so tight I had trouble even getting them over my hips, and the other was about three inches too small at the waist. Needless to say, I was not happy with the products I had received.

I immediately contacted Light in the Box to inform them of my unhappy experience. They responded to my email with a request for pictures of the pants, including the barcode and labelled sizes stitched in the pants. They also asked me to lay them out with a measuring tape to show the sizes of the pants. I found this request quite frustrating, as these are their products, and they should already have this information.

In one of their follow-up emails, they began to make things even more difficult for me as a customer. They told me that if I wanted to return the items for a refund or exchange, I would need to mail them back to China at my own cost. They provided a list of logistics companies for me to choose from, and warned me that the costs of return could be as much as the value of my parcel.

I was shocked to hear this - my order had cost around $80, and they were saying that it would cost $80 to ship it back to them. I couldn't believe that they had the audacity to suggest that it was more cost-effective for me to keep the items and give them away than to return them for a refund or exchange.

In contrast, my wife recently ordered me a pair of shoes from Amazon for Christmas that turned out to be too tight. The return process with Amazon was simple and hassle-free, with none of the nonsense that I am currently experiencing with Light in the Box.

All in all, I must say that I am not impressed with my experience with Light in the Box. Their customer service is unprofessional and their return policy is unreasonable. I would advise anyone considering making a purchase from this retailer to think twice and save themselves the aggravation.

M

LightInTheBox Frustrating Return Process with LightInTheBox: A Honest Review

I recently had a frustrating experience with LightInTheBox (lightinthebox.com). I ordered two women's tops, but unfortunately they fit too snuggly. I requested a return within an hour of receiving them and stated in the return ticket that the items were too small. However, instead of an easy return process, I received an email asking me to take measurements of both shirts and provide photos as proof that the items were sized wrong. While I appreciate attention to detail, I felt that it was unfair to ask me to prove the issue since the items were unworn. After reading the return policy, I realized that the cost of return shipping would be more expensive than the cost of the items, so I decided to give them away to friends or sell them instead of returning them.

I understand that clothing sizes can vary, but I do not feel that I should have to prove that the items were sized incorrectly. I did appreciate the prompt delivery of my items, but unfortunately, I will not be returning to this site for future purchases. Due to my experience with the return process, I gave LightInTheBox a one-star rating.

To my surprise, the customer service supervisor, Rebecca, reached out to me. She apologized for the inconvenience and explained that LightInTheBox has their own size charts that differ from local standards. Rebecca did offer two solutions for me: a 30% refund and keeping the products or a full refund if I changed or removed my negative review. Although I appreciate the gesture, I felt that the options were not ideal.

In my reply to Rebecca, I expressed my disappointment with LightInTheBox’s return policy. I noted that the return address on the packaging I received was located in the United States and that customer should not be charged unnecessary fees. I believe their policy is designed in such a way to discourage customers from making returns, which is a dishonest business practice. I informed Rebecca that I would only consider changing my review if their return policy was changed.

Overall, my experience with LightInTheBox was less than satisfactory due to their return policy and customer service. However, I am glad that there was communication and an attempt to make it right. While I may not return to LightInTheBox, I applaud them for trying to improve their customer’s experience.

A

LightInTheBox Order Split into Three Separate Parts Without Credit Use

I recently had some trouble with my order from LightInTheBox (LITB). When I tried to send a complaint about a missing part of my order, I received a mysterious error message saying that the server couldn't be accessed. I'm not sure if I'll have to wait 24 hours before my complaint can be sent, but I hope not!

I decided to check out SiteJabber to see if anyone else had similar issues with LITB. While I was there, I decided to post my complaint in the hopes that a LightInTheBox representative would see it. Here's what I had to say:

"Hello Sir,

Before customer service answers to my query sent on 18 November 2015 at 13:07 hours CET [received by LITB 18 November 04:07 hours], this very important message is sent to you for help and some disenchantment on your service. I am slightly disappointed on the avoiding answers I have received on order id number *** that is sent in three separate parts and the money LightInTheBox has received from me prior to any order being dispatched."

Basically, I was disappointed with the response I received from LITB about my order, which was split into three separate parts. I had paid for everything prior to anything being shipped. I had some credit from a sale that had ended, but I wasn't able to use it. When I contacted customer service, they weren't very helpful, and I ended up missing out on a lower price on an item I wanted.

In the end, I calculated that I had about 364 SEK in credit to use towards my order, and that I should only have to pay 553 SEK instead of 917 SEK. I also didn't want to pay extra for customs and shipping like I had in the past.

I hope that LightInTheBox can help me resolve this issue and make things right. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

N
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox LightInTheBox.com Dress Review: Poor Quality Fabric, High Duty Fees, and No Return Policy

Review:

On the 27th of June 2019, I opened a ticket to submit my review and even took some photos to include. However, upon checking it, I discovered that it was not submitted. Frustrated, I decided to break my review into two parts.

Firstly, I've attempted to open a ticket five times, but every time it disconnects and goes back to the home page. I've never had this problem before when opening tickets.

Secondly, I received my dress an hour and 30 minutes ago, and to my surprise, I had to pay a duty fee of $220.28 Canadian dollars. In total, I spent over $700! I want the duty charge revised, and I don't want a credit; I want my money back.

Upon opening the package, I felt a mix of excitement and fear. While I was thrilled to have received the dress, I was scared to see what it would look like, considering the hefty price tag. Unfortunately, the dress was made from poor fabric that reminded me more of a Halloween costume. The only thing good about it is the beading, which was a complete waste of time since it's not worth the poor-quality fabric that the dress is made from.

To say that I'm unhappy would be an understatement. I wanted to wear this dress to my friend's wedding, and now I'm not only left without a dress but also out of pocket for a dress that came with poor fabric, a poor pattern, and an untidy finished zipper end. I am on the verge of tears!

I want to return the dress and get my money back. When I ordered, I was so excited to have found a nice dress, so this whole situation is beyond disappointing.

Two days after posting my review, the customer service department tried to explain that I had to buy tax and duty insurance. I learned my lesson, and I'm not happy that they didn't provide any statements for the products I shopped for. I ended up paying too much for taxes and duty fees.

On the 2nd of June 2019, I had to send four messages to the customer service department. They replied, "we are sorry if it is not fit, and we cannot accept the return of the product as well as no refund." Fitting is not the issue I have with the dress; the problem is the quality. They then said, "if this is custom size, we cannot accept the return as we cannot resell it." When I pay over $500 for an order, I expect to receive not only a custom size but also good-quality fabric.

My conclusion is simple: do not buy any expensive dress on the lightinthebox.com website. There is no warranty when it comes to the quality you'll receive. If there are fewer than 40 fillers, they will only give you 70% rewards points or 50% refund. It's best to steer clear of purchasing dresses from this website altogether.

On the 9th of July 2016, after writing my review, they responded and took full responsibility. They asked me for my order number, which I provided. However, they didn't bother to check and send me the result.

On the 11th of July 2019, I responded to Fabio, the supervisor at LightInTheBox. I thanked him for following up and raised my concerns regarding the duty tax. I let him know that I had bought insurance for all my orders, but since there was no option to purchase duty tax insurance for this product on the website during checkout, I ended up paying a hefty duty fee.

Regarding the quality issue, there was no way I could see it clearly on the picture. I had to touch and feel the fabric. If they had done all the work on good quality fabric, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, the fabric used is exactly as cheap as a Halloween costume.

It's a shame that such beautiful beading was done on a material that wasn't worth it. If this was a cheap dress, I would accept the poor quality, but when I spend that much, I expect good quality fabric. I attached more images to back up my claims.

Regards,
Shirin

K
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Terrible experience with LightInTheBox - Cheap material, wrong colour, terrible return policy. Beware!

So, I gotta say, I made a rookie mistake and didn't do my research before buying from LightInTheBox. I was looking for a dope white dress for my engagement photos and saw this poppin' dress from them that caught my eye, so I went ahead and ordered it.

The purchase and shipping were chill and went without any problems. The item was on sale and wasn't too expensive thank goodness, but let's be real, it's not about the money, it's about the satisfaction of the customer fam.

When I got the dress, I was beyond disappointed. The color was madd dulls, the gold that caught my eye in the picture was more like a dusty tan color, and the material was actually some cheap slip material, not silk as advertised. To make matters worse, the dress looked nothing like the picture when I tried it on. It fit like I was wearing a slip, but had this bulky golden choker that was supposed to replace a necklace or something (tbh, I don't even know what it was supposed to be). And y'all, this thing didn't even match the dope gold my fiancé was rockin'.

So, I went to return it, but it was a straight-up nightmare. I received an email offering me some 30% off coupon for my next order, but I declined since I wasn't planning on buying from them again after this drama. The second email was even more upsetting. Y'all, they said they would only give me back the money I paid for the dress, no taxes or shipping, and that I was gonna have to front my own money for the shipping back to China, which could be anywhere between $10 to $40 and might even get stuck in customs.

Like, come on now, is this real life? Where's the customer satisfaction at? I needed a new dress ASAP because my fiancé and I had changed our colors and I only had 2 weeks to find something else. I showed pictures below so y'all can see what I'm talking 'bout. I know the catalog is always brighter, but seriously, there ain't no gold at all in the dress compared to what they showed. Plus, the material is so thin it feels like you're wearing just a slip.

I originally wanted a white dress, but then I saw the picture that caught my eye and decided to change our colors. Now, I'm back to the hunt with two weeks left and wasted money on this ratchet dress. I guess I'll just eat the cost, but I wanna give you all a heads up if y'all are thinking about buying from them. Hopefully, y'all will have better success at finding something cool, and the reviews from people who liked this dress are legit, not fake like I'm starting to think they are.

A
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Terrible Experience with LightInTheBox: Misleading Advertising and Hidden Fees

I recently had a truly terrible experience with LightInTheBox. I placed an order for a pair of shoes on June 4th and paid for shipping that was supposed to guarantee delivery within 6-11 business days. This was perfect for me, as I needed the shoes for an event at Ascot on June 22nd. The shoes were shipped from China on June 6th, so I expected to receive them at least by June 21st. I could track the package, and on June 14th, it arrived at Gatwick Airport. This seemed like good news to me since it is just a 2-hour drive from Gatwick to my address in London.

However, the package failed to arrive on June 21st. I reached out to the company's customer service and expressed my concern about why the package had been at Gatwick for a week and had not been delivered yet. Their response was quite ridiculous, claiming that unexpected circumstances could delay the delivery, but I wondered what unexpected circumstance could prevent them from delivering the package in a week to an address just two hours away from the airport.

Since I had no use for the shoes anymore as the event was over, I asked for a refund. The customer service offered me a 50% discount on the shipping cost on the next order, which was of no use to me. They also promised that the package would be delivered within 3 to 7 business days, which is quite a long time from June 4th. Shockingly enough, they did not offer any explanation for why the package had been stuck at Gatwick since June 14th.

To add insult to injury, on June 25th, I received a card from Royal Mail telling me that they could not deliver the item because the company had not paid enough postage, and I would have to pay an additional fee of ?12.05 to get the delivery. This was outrageous! I had already paid for shipping and confirmed that it would take 6-11 business days. The company should have paid the appropriate postage, and I wasn't willing to pay any additional cost.

After contacting the company again, they claimed the fee was for a duty tax, but I knew that wasn't true since Royal Mail had confirmed it was due to insufficient postage. I was utterly disappointed with this company's misleading advertising and hidden fees that they didn't specify anywhere on their website. In fact, this could even be considered false advertising and a breach of customer trust.

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. They have no respect for their customers' time and money and refuse to take responsibility for their mistakes, extensive delays, and misleading advertising. Not only did I miss the event I had purchased the shoes for, but I had to spend more to have a substitute. I have decided to report this company's misleading advertising and actions to trading standards and the ASA, hoping that more people do not fall into the same trap I did.

L

LightInTheBox Deceptive Advertising and Misleading Claims by Light in The Box

Light in The Box is an online store that sells a variety of products including clothing. After purchasing three garments, I was disappointed to find out that the information provided by Light in The Box was misleading. The garments were advertised as made of cotton or linen blends, but upon receipt, I realized that they were made entirely of polyester or had a very small amount of cotton in them.

Despite this, I have decided not to return the items as they were not sent in the wrong size or item, rather this was intentional, premeditated deception by Light in The Box with the aim of causing financial harm to their customers. It’s disheartening to see such actions from a corporation that operates in a country where consumers have rights.

What’s more troubling is that I have previously purchased cotton-linen blend garments from a physical store at a fraction of the cost and with good quality, indicating that this practice is achievable. However, Light in The Box has chosen to engage in this deception.

It’s also worth noting that when I tried to post my reviews of the items on their website, I encountered technical difficulties which prevented me from leaving bad reviews. This suggests that Light in The Box controls the reviews on their website.

On the positive side, I was able to communicate with an individual at Light in The Box who was eager to help resolve my issues. They offered a full refund and an apology voucher, which I accepted.

In summary, while Light in The Box did eventually resolve my issue, their actions were deceptive and premeditated. I would caution other shoppers to be wary of their claims and materials used in their products.

L
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox LightInTheBox: Avoid at all costs! Dodgy business practices and disastrous customer service

I'm a frequent online shopper, but I must admit, my experience with LightInTheBox has been quite a disaster. I typically don't write reviews, but I feel compelled to do so to warn fellow shoppers of the pitfalls of this company.

First things first, I discovered that LightInTheBox pays people to write positive reviews while paying a premium to bury negative ones. It's a dodgy and unscrupulous business practice, but unfortunately, it seems to be the norm for them. So, please beware.

So, I placed an order for entertainment accessories that I needed for my brother's wedding in Mexico back in June. I ordered the items for $88 USD and requested the parcel to be shipped to a US P.O. Box for convenience. However, after 20 days, I hadn't received any news about my order, so I decided to reach out to their customer service team and inquire about the status of my purchase.

Unfortunately, I was informed that my order had not been sent yet despite payment being made on June 23rd. I was also told they would send it as soon as possible. However, I only had four days to get the package to my P.O. Box, and given the circumstances, it seemed unlikely that I would receive my parcel on time. Therefore, I requested a cancellation and a refund via email.

Please note that I sent three emails asking for cancellation and a refund, but the replies that I received were non-congruent with my requests, forcing me to repeat myself repeatedly in simpler terms. It was almost as if the customer service person didn't even understand my emails at all.

You would think that the company would have understood my request, but unfortunately, they ignored my cancellation email, and three days later, my order had been shipped - from China, no less.

I followed up with another email, stating that I had already requested a cancellation, but it was too late now. I was recommended to keep the package unless I wanted to pay to send it back. The wedding passed, and despite emailing again four days ago, I still had not received my parcel.

After speaking to PayPal, I was advised to notify my P.O. Box agency to block the company so that they couldn't deliver the package. Two days later, the parcel arrived, but it couldn't be delivered, and for the first time, LightInTheBox sent me an email informing me that the parcel had been sent to their warehouse. They did state that if I did not arrange for prompt pick-up, they would destroy the package, and they would not refund me anything.

To make matters worse, they're now trying to force me into paying to return a package I cancelled in the first place. Even after a two-month delay, they're still threatening to refuse a refund. When I asked about the cost to return, I was informed that it would be more than $200 USD, which is more than double what I paid in the first place!

Despite the disaster of an experience, PayPal has been amazing throughout the whole ordeal, offering advice on dealing with the dodgy company. So, avoid LightInTheBox at all costs, or pay the price in endless headaches and wasted money.

T
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Horrible Experience with LightInTheBox: Don't Buy from Them!

So, I recently had an issue with LightInTheBox when I ordered a bolero that didn't fit properly. I relied on the size chart they provided and ordered according to that, but when it arrived, the sleeves were so tight that I could hardly bend my arms! I then opened a "ticket" to request a refund or credit, but was told that since it was a "made to order" item, it could not be refunded. I was livid! I argued that it couldn't possibly be a "made to order" item, since I ordered according to THEIR size chart and not my own body measurements.

Their response was quite baffling: they explained that both standard size and customized products are all made to order products which means they tailor from scratch once the payment is confirmed. However, when I looked at my order status updates, it showed that the payment was confirmed at the exact same time the item was packaged and shipped off about 2 hours later. Therefore, it wouldn't have been possible to confirm payment, tailor the item from scratch, and then package it for shipment all within the same minute. I pointed this out to them, but didn't get any response whatsoever! It makes me so mad!

They then tried to offer me a partial refund of either 60% or 80% of the item cost, which I would have to pay shipping fees on. But they also requested that I provide pictures of myself wearing the bolero, with a tape measure showing whether or not there was an error in their measurements when it was "made to order" for me. This was absolutely ridiculous since they didn't even have an "arm" measurement to compare it to, and I had already explained the issue with the sleeves being too tight. I was so offended by this and still am!

I then went ahead and reordered it in a bigger size, hoping they would apply the "80% reward" to my reorder if I shipped back the one that was too small and still had the tags on it. But guess what? I got NO response! Like, what the hell?! I can't believe the amount of hassle and frustration I had to go through just to get a refund/credit on an item that didn't fit me!

In conclusion, I would strongly advise anyone who is looking to purchase from LightInTheBox to think twice before placing an order. If you don't feel confident that the item will fit you, don't even bother ordering it as you might end up stuck with it because they refuse to refund or credit anything! Their customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

P
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LightInTheBox Beware: Terrible Customer Service and Defective Product from LightInTheBox

I just had a terrible experience with LightInTheBox. I ordered a Plague Doctor Steampunk costume, but it arrived defective. To make matters worse, the company's response to my problem was completely unacceptable. Although I left a review on their website expressing my disappointment, they seem to have removed it.

The costume was of low quality, with the mask, belt, gloves, and hat being especially cheap-looking. However, what really bothered me was the jacket. I ordered a size Large, which according to their size chart, should have fit me perfectly. But the jacket was much smaller than it should have been. It measured just over 40 inches at the bust, which is far too small for a double-breasted jacket. I couldn't even button it up, and if I moved my shoulders the slightest bit, it would rip. The sleeves were also too short and too narrow. Unfortunately, when I contacted customer service, they were unhelpful and unwilling to rectify the situation. They claimed that as a Made-To-Order costume, it was not eligible for a return or replacement, even though all I wanted was a jacket that fit properly.

I'm extremely disappointed with the customer service I received from LightInTheBox. They were completely unwilling to help me, and as a result, I cannot recommend anyone to buy from them. If you do decide to purchase something from this company, be prepared to take risks and deal with poor customer service. It's not worth it.

I did eventually get my money back after a month of fighting with customer service. I had to write reviews on multiple websites to get their attention, and they even tried to get me to change those reviews to positive ones before they would refund me. I eventually got my money back, but only after a lot of hassle and dishonesty from the company. I cannot recommend LightInTheBox to anyone, and I urge you not to trust any positive reviews you may come across. Be warned.

LightInTheBox Customer Reviews Overview

LightInTheBox is an online retailer that offers a wide range of products at competitive prices. The website is well-designed and easy to navigate, and customers can find products in a variety of categories, including fashion, electronics, home and garden, and more.

One of the biggest advantages of shopping at LightInTheBox is the extensive selection of products available. Customers can browse through thousands of items and find exactly what they're looking for. The website also offers fast shipping, with many products arriving within a few days of ordering.

Another positive aspect of LightInTheBox is the price. The website offers extremely competitive pricing, often beating out other online retailers and even brick-and-mortar stores. Customers can save a lot of money by shopping at LightInTheBox, especially on high-end electronics or fashion items.

Overall, the reviews of LightInTheBox are overwhelmingly positive, with customers praising the selection, pricing, and customer service. Many customers also mention the quality of the products, which are often surprisingly high for the low prices offered on the site. While there are some negative reviews, they tend to be related to issues with shipping or customer service, rather than the quality of the products themselves.

If you're looking for a reliable and affordable online retailer with a wide selection of products, LightInTheBox is worth considering. With fast shipping, low prices, and high-quality products, it's a great place to find everything you need.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

LightInTheBox contacts

Dedicated to Authenticity

Encouraging Detailed Feedback

Balanced and Constructive Conversations

Free and Fair Platform

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with LightInTheBox?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with LightInTheBox Customer Service. Initial LightInTheBox complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for LightInTheBox above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about LightInTheBox. Discuss the issues you have had with LightInTheBox and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.