Liberty Tax Serviceover charged

I admit I was fully in the wrong by not filing taxes for a few years, and it caught up with me. So I went to the local Liberty tax service to get my federal and state taxes done. I was told it would be 205.00 per year. I thought that was high but they could get them done quickly. Then after the first few years were done the gal doing my taxes and the owner Mike said that they were going to give me a discount (175.00 per yr) because he knew what I was going threw, because he had been there himself. I was missing some W-2's for my state returns but had all the info for my federal. It took nearly 1 yr to gather all the missing w-2's due to the fact many of the companys were no longer in business. So when I went back to finish the state taxes I was billed an ADDITIONAL 60.00 per yr per state!!! Because I as work in Missouri and live in Kansas with 1 yr Iowa was also included it cost me 180 for state returns!! The lady helping me called Mike about the billing when I told her that these were already paid for and gave me the phone where Mike completly denied the previous agreement and I was charged an additional 540.00 for a total of 2115.00 for 7 yrs of taxes. Over $300.00 per year!!! far mor than the 205.00 that I was originallyb quoted.

• Sh
    SheeShaw Apr 24, 2012

Be angry at the owner but realize where it comes from. Liberty puts heavy burden on owners to charge certain fees per return and for the number of returns each store MUST do each year. Liberty also is the one that actually sets the fees for the returns and not the owners. If the owners reduce the fees demanded by liberty they pay the price. The price is Liberty threatening not to supply them with monies needed for off season AND a threat to take their stores from them all for not getting the number of returns and the fees Liberty demands. Im a previous owner who felt the knife in the back by a company that throws you away if you dont do their dirty deeds. John Hewitt is ALL ABOUT John Hewitt. Store owners are only his pawns and he is truely a dirty CEO.

• Jk
    JKDE May 17, 2011

For filing taxes seven years late and having multiple states returns, you got a bargain paying the preparer only $2115.