LA Fitnessinappropriate behavior at la fitness!

This morning, as I was working out on one of those hamstring machines that has you lying on your stomach, face forward and raising the weights with your ankles, a personal trainer approaches me from behind, puts his hand on my back and tells me that this position is exposing me, that I should preserve my dignity and there are other machines that I can use "without shame" that will exercise the same muscles (the machines he pointed to were for quads, not for hamstrings but that's just a small point).

I asked him to remove his hand and was touching a woman he had never met also a part of preserving her "dignity". When I complained to the general manager, however, that manager defended the personal trainer (who had interrupted a session with a paying client to monitor me). the manager said he himself touches people all of the time, that it's good to have someone stop women from being "exposed".

I think this is a terrible atmosphere for a woman to work out in, and I am now about to cancel my membership. Not that it's relevant, but none of my skin was exposed, nor should I feel restricted by what machines I use by someone else's (a personal trainer no less) mixed-up sense of "dignity". And to have his inappropriate touching and monitoring be supported by the manager? What kind of company is this...

jen nagai Jul 02, 2016

I am getting money taken out of my pocket after the cancelation if you know how to sue for full refund and retribution i need help to get my money these corporate pigs are taking my money hebrew or chinese i see them as one i want my money back these people are not human their demons that takes money as a joke

• Un
    unkown1001 Jun 30, 2013

I am commenting about some lack of strong management at this gym. First, I have noticed that the male trainers (working or not) seem to talk a lot to the attractive women while they are working out, even though it's a policy to keep conversations to a minimum. It's pretty clear to me these guys are looking to use the place for pick ups, and frankly, any other profession would clearly not find it acceptable to prey on customers in that fashion. I attend daily, am an avid fitness freak, and am not female, but am married with all daughters. So, I can just say, I wonder what all those fathers out there would think of their daughters being preyed on. Second, no one at the facility enforces the rule to put your weights up when your done. I hope those lazy persons would consider that their mother or father may not being able to pick up those weights you leave laying all over. There's plenty elderly out there that may trip or get hurt picking up after the mess. So, I look to see if anyone is enforcing, and they just simple AREN'T. The workers congregate at the desks and the trainers sit in the offices and stare at the women working out. I think I have seen the manager, and he flirts with the women along with the rest of them. The trainer that touched the woman on the first comment, I think I know who that was, and that guy is a creep. I would have wanted her to make a bigger deal of it, like "please don't touch me like that" very loudly, so other woman can see the creep for what he is. I don't talk to anyone at the gym, and frankly don't use it as a social medium like others. I do my workout, do not intrude on others working out, and try to remain respectful. If there's someone that decides to work out next to me that makes me feel uncomfortable, I very obviously pick up my gear and weights and move to the other part of the weight area. I feel sorry for the women going to this gym.

• Ab
    abdulelah al-hejaili Apr 08, 2013

my name is Abdulelah when I was at LA Gym on little road In Arlington Texas Last week the personal trainer Benny .C and i where working out in the work out chair when he told me to move the chair i asked him where he would like for me to move the chair and he started to scream at me if i don't move the chair it will be my last day at this gym but he never would tell me where or what he wanted me to do with this chair after i had already payed for my monthly membership i asked for the manager and he told me he was the manager which he clearly was not after i talked to the manager i chose to cancel my member ship this trainer completely embarrassed me in front of all of these people i felt it was completely degrading in the way he treated me and the way he conducted his work ethic was completely unprofessional i would after my experience here would never recommend any one to this gym even as i try to finish my last month he continues to badger and harass me by making little comments around me to the other training staff to day i asked for help from one of the other trainers and he told me that he could not help me because Benny .C told them not to help me all i ask is what any one or even the corporate office thinks i should do about this incident

• Pt
    PTjack Jun 20, 2012

I'm nowhere near L.A. ; I actually live in Australia, but as a personal trainer myself I find this absolutely disgusting. Firstly, nobody should be touched unless they wanted to be. In fact, we're taught that you should instruct someone by explanation and demonstration and only then after that, with their permission, be 'hands-on' in instruction.

What disturbs me more is the attitude; a woman's dignity in question because she's 'exposing' herself? What sort of gym is this? This is inappropriate conduct and should be dealt with accordingly. Also, why are they ignoring a paying customer to inform someone else that they're 'losing their dignity'?

This business should really re-consider their work ethic and adjust it to the 21st century.

• Ri
    rikkson Aug 26, 2011

la fitness manager unlawfully and without member’s permission, cut out the lock of the member’s locker, opened the member’s bag and searched through personal belongings, claiming that another member left her belongings in the same locker earlier. police was called, told the manager she did not handled it properly and professionally, called her an idiot but could not find a criminal intent, since nothing was missing. la fitness corporate offices could not be reached via e-mail. any suggestions?

• Na
    nat1628 Aug 24, 2011

I sighed up to be a member at LA Fitness in Monroeville mostly for the dry sauna and late closing hours. Shortly after few visits it started to become a problem, cleaning staff always shutting down the sauna for cleaning reasons and being very rude about it. So if you are like me, who likes dry sauna, and has sore muscles that need to be loosed up, find another gym that is more sticked to their employees for customer service.

jackliu239 Jul 15, 2011

Ok here is a story of LA fitness

I called the Alhambra Branch located at 412 East Main Street, Alhambra and I spoke to a person name Tony, he offer me the membership at $799 for 2 years and then 99 for renew plan. I told him I will think about it, I called another branch at Pasadena at 201 S. Lake Avenue Pasadena, CA 91101 the person who I contacted with is name Edward Vazquez, he give me the same deal, except I only have to pay 600. So naturally I took my time off work, drive to Pasadena (traffic with hell, took me over 1 hour drive, then I have to pay for the street parking as well) and sign up with Edward. Later that day Tony called me and found out that I sign up with another branch, then he proceed to sabotage my deal on purpose (which I didn't give him any permission to look into my membership plan), he called his superior and then later I got a phone call from some guy from the Alhambra branch told me the deal I had is canceled, he told me the deal I got was not legal. Then I asked him how was that not legal? I called your Gym phone number, speak to your employee, got the quote from him, I drove down there to sign up for membership, at what point the action I did was illegal? He didn't answer that, then I asked him what is your name, what is your employee number, how can I know you are legal and what you tell me is legal, he give me his name as Edward with no last name and did not give me his employee number, then hang up on my face promptly which I did not finish talking with him. I called back on the phone he called me from the phone number he called me, and there is no one name Edward work there, basically he flat lied to my face. I now hold in my hand a legit contact of my membership which I paid for with off work time, and just by 1 phone call from them, it is now a worthless piece of paper. This is

NO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS GYM, they deliberately sabotage their own customers, and fight among themselves, they do not keep their word, they are not honest to themselves, they are by far NOT honest to their own customers. What you are dealing is the worst of the worst of corporate American, avoid this LA Fitness at all cost. Never join them if you can. And feel free to copy this message into other forums or message board if you want. My email is [email protected] I can provide you with all evidence what I talked about today. If you need a copy of the contract or my phone record, just email me. I want to expose to the world the true nature of LA fitness.

• Ca
    CATHYCHIP Jul 02, 2011

TIRE OF GETTING RIPPED OFF MY A PLACE THAT WAS DIRTY AND NOW I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING FOR IT

HI THERE I WAS A MEMBER ALSO AND FOR A GUY IT WAS A SCREWED UP SEEN I WENT INTO THE SAUNA AND THERE WHERE GUYS IN THERE DOING SEX CRAP IN THERE I NEVER DID SAY ANY THING I JUST HAD MY KIDS AND MY WIFE NO GO THERE ANY MORE AND THAN WE JUST MOVED OUT OF STATE, WE HAVENT BEEN GOING THERE FOR OVER 6 MONTHS, , BACK IN NOV LAST YEAR WE CLOSED OUR ACOUNT AND NOW WE ARE STILL GETTING BILLED, TRYED TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BUT HE SAID HE COULDNT DO ANY THING THE GUYS NAME WAS MATT A REAL PEICE OF WORK, I SENT IN THE REQUSTED FORM FOR CANCELATION AND STILL GETTING BILLED FROM A BACK ROOM SEX ROMPAROOM PLACE THAT MADE ME FEEL REAL SICK TO MY SELF FOR WHAT I SAW, DONT GET ME WRONG IM NOT LIKE A VIRGIN OR ANY THING BUT GIVE ME A BREAK IM NOT GAY, , , THIS WAS AT LATE NIGHT AND THE LIGHT WAS OUT IN THE SAUNA SO WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR I COULD SEE EVERY THING, , SO I TRYED OT TELL THIS TO MATT THE SUPERVISER AND HE CALLED ME A LIER COOL ITS OK NO PROBLEM BUT I DON'T WANT OT BE BILLED FOR A PLACE I DON'T GO TO CAN ANY ONE HELP ME OR DO I NEED OT CALL MY BANK FROUD DEPARTMENT IM OK WITH THE GAY THING CUS MY NEICE IS BI BUT NOT OK TO PAY FOR IT AT CERRITOS CERRITOS
    10802 ALONDRA BLVD.PLEASE BE ADVISED AND IF YOU THINK OF GOING TO A GEM MAYBE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN HOME
    CERRITOS, CA 90703
    [protected]
    MY NAME IS CHIP FITZPATRICK AND IM NOT AFRAID OF DSAYING WHAT I SAW AND THIS MATT MUST THINK ITS OK TO LET IT HAPPEN SO GOOD LUCK FINDING SOME WHERE ELSE TO GO, , , , AND FOR THE COMENT THAT ITS BEEN FINE AND DANDY WHEN YOU WENT FOR HOW LONG ALONG TIME YOUR NOT A GUY AND THIS IS NO ACCEPTABLE IN ANY TERMS I WANT MY MONEY BACK PERIOD

• Ph
    phoenixRisen Feb 02, 2011

(1): ALL major gym chains are in fact out to get as much of your money as they can. I have worked for a few and let me tell you...it's your [censor] if you don't meet quota. *however* ...damn them for turning a profit (lol). Not defending them, just pointing out that a lot of the complaints I saw and read now are from people not getting what they want. Go buy a car and figure out in a year you can't afford it. The bank will sure take it back, but your credit will take a beating and they are going to try real hard.to get the remainder of what you owe, even though they got the car back.

On to personal trainers. This is a 50/50 gamble. You don't generally find so-so trainers. They're usually really good or total crap. I have to give 24hr fitness some credit there. Their trainers are typically good. If you are new to fitness and your trainer isn't spending a significant amount of time showing you the CORRECT way to do the exercises, run like Gump. Otherwise they are allowing you to simply go through the motions. Cardinal sin. (Fwiw, I've been a certified personal trainer for 12 years).

Lastly, I work out at la fitness. The front counter staff is quite courteous, the trainers all suck, and the sales staff gets rotated like perishable foods in the grocery store. The equipment is decent and the monthly fee is reasonable. My complaint is that they seem to have been really pushing for memberships lately and the gym has gotten crowded. They put up some huge 42" screens to advertise their services on while there aren't enough of the personal lockers (the small ones on the workout floor used for personal belongings. Oh, and I don't feel sorry at all for the person who had their lock cut off. I mean this with a little humor, but it has always irritated the [censor] out of me when people "lay claim" to a single locker. 24hr has a separate locker room for people who want to pay monthly for a personal locker). I will be leaving la fitness to go back to another, smaller gym in the next few weeks. I am glad I found some info from all of you about their practices, at least as it's been perceived by those who posted here. I will sure as hell send any paperwork certified mail, signature required.

• Hu
    humble pie Nov 16, 2010

I had worked for an LA Fitness is MN for over a year, and I know full well what practices some of the clubs have. The district VP forces all of the sales staff to berate every guest who comes in, and your expected to sell them the most expensive package we have no matter what the client is looking for. I am proud to say that among so many slimy crooks there are a few of us who managed to stay honest. Unfortunately we don't last long in this business. Some tips for those of you who are having issues with your cancellations and such, every membership profile has an area for notes. When you request a cancellation form, see to it that whoever is giving you the form makes a note on the account. Have them print the screen if need be, every computer is capable of this. The policy is that if you get the form 10 days before your bill date, then you are off the hook for the next billing. There is a button called a cancellation inquiry on every account, and if you picked up the form within the proper window, any of the staff will be able to refund the last bill date for most accounts. If the staff tells you otherwise, ask to see the screen. As for personal training, it is a contract and is not easily broken. Also, LA Fitness does not turn anything over to collections, so do not believe it when they say a revoked account will effect your credit, it won't. The club I worked at had many quality employees, and we did all we could for the members, even out of state. And while some of the complaints here are definitely valid, any about injury or infection, or stolen items, unfortunately fall under the liability waiver you signed with your membership or guest pass, releasing LA of all fault. But all gyms are going to have that in their agreements.

• Np
    NPS Sep 08, 2010

Worst experience ever with any Club . They are just sales man promise something upfront and do something else on the agreement . Read agreement carefully . Just go by agreement not by that they say or promise. Look each details carefully . They promised me membership till DEC-10 and i found out thy charged me more then they promise for initiation fee and i have fund only till Aug-10. There salesman are complete feud be CAREFUL with them . Please, shop around and find out the best deal before signing up at LA Fitness . They are complete feud .

• Si
    singhr81 Jul 12, 2010

Hi All,

My girlfriend has joined training session at LA fitness. While joining she told specifically that she want a flexible session where she can cancel the class at any point of time. There should not be any contract. LA fitness officials will talk very sweet when you are going for new membership or class. But that fellow cheated and he has added an 1 year contract with the training class without notifying . He asked her to sign for that money she has paid for the training class. But that signature for the contract which he has added to the training class. Now when she want to cancel the training class members of LA fitness are so rude that they are not willing to talk also. They are simply blaming us that we have signed an contract and we are cancelling the contract because we dont want it. This is ridiculous . Those fellow talk so cheap that a girl cant tolerate those words. There in no one in there corporate office as well to listen to us. Those fellow have lost there humanity for money which they are getting.

Is there anyone who can guide me to stop this session class so that i can save money.

• 32
    327 May 13, 2010

i was charged for a training package i never agreed to and had my trainer be a no show for one of my free sessions two days in a row. when calling the general manager about both problems he defended the trainer and turned it around to make it seem like it was my fault. what is the telephone number of their corporate headquaters?

salcykhan Apr 04, 2010

I JOINED LA FITNESS, KERNY MESA CENTER ON 03/31/2010 AT 5:00 PM. NEXT DAY I GET CALL THAT I GET A FREE SESSION TO GET A PERSONAL TRAINER(HIS WAS SOMETHING TOD...). ON 04/02/2010 AT 5 PM I WENT THERE TO HAVE MY FREE SESSION FOR A PERSONAL TRAINER. HE ASKED ME WHAT IS YOUR GOAL AND I SAID, "I WANT A BEACH BODY". BUT I ALSO MENTION THAT I DONT WANT TO PAY EXTRA FOR SESSION. LATER THEN THE GUY TOLD GO AND DO TREADMILL FOR 25 MIN, (WHICH I THOUGH WAS THE FREE SESSION TRAINING SO I DID IT) LATER ANOTHER PERSION GUY COME IN AND SAY THAT HE IS GOING TO BE MY TRAINER, AND HE TO ME BACK TO DESK AREA. BEFORE HE COULD SAY ANOTHER I TOLD HIM STRAT FORWARD THAT I NOT GOING TO JOIN ANY PAY SESSION, I JUST JOIN THE GYM TO RELAX MYSELF AND DO TRAINING.

STILL KEPT ON SHOWING THE PLAN(WHICH I DIDNT MIND, AS I THOUGH IT THERE SALES STYLE). STILL I TOLD HIM "NO I DONT WANT TO JOIN ANY PLAN" I ALSO MENTION THAT I DONT SPENT EXTRA MONEY OUT MY POCKET. THEN STARTED TO SHOW THE THAT THEY CAN MAKE MY BODY LOOK LIKE BRAT PIT IN "TROY", STILL I SAID NO I DONT WANT TO PAY FOR ANY SESSION.

THEN HE SAID THAT HE SAID YOU ARE GOOD PERSON TELL ME WHAT HE CAN DO FOR ME, I SAID BEST THING BE FREE SESSION.

AFTER 20 MIN OF CONVERSATION HE CALLED THE OLD GUY TOD(I GUESS HIS NAMES IS SOMTHING LIKE THAT BUT IS PERSIAN AS HE TOLD ME, AND HE SAID HE THE GM TOO)

THEY TOLD COME TO ANOTHER DESK WHICH I DID OF NO FEAR. THEY BOTH OF THEM SAT NEXT TO ME, AND STARTED TELLING THAT EVERY MEMBER WHO JOIN KERNEY MESA CENTER HAS A TRAINER AND I SHOULD ALSO HAVE IT, I STILL SAID NO I JUST WANT TO WORK, THIS TIME I ALSO MENTION THAT I JOIN LA FITNESS FOR SWIMMING.
    TOD (THE GUY NAME I CANT PRONOUNS PROPERLY, WHO CLAIM TO BE THE GM) SAY THAT HE WILL CHARGE ME MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT, ( I THOUGHT THEY BLUFFING)

THEN ASKED MY TELEPHONE NUMBER WHICH I DID AND THEN HE SHOW A PAGE ON THE DESKTOP WHICH MY DEBIT CARD DETAIL AND HE SAID, THAT HE WILL CHARGE IT FROM MY ACCOUNT, SINCE THEY HAVE ON THERE FILE.

I SAID TO HIM DARE TO DO THAT.

THEN HE SAID, HE DONT CARE ABOUT HIS JOB AND HE WILL DO IT, AND HE MADE A BILL WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, AND TOLD ME TO SIGN THE BILL ON THE TOUCH PAD, WHICH I SAID "NO"(LATER I CAME TO KNOW IT WAS FAKE, AS I CHECK MY STATEMENT ONLINE AT 8:30 PM).

THEN THE OTHER PERSON GUY (SECOND GUY NAME FORGOTTEN BUT HE IS ALSO PERSION) SAID TO THAT OK LETS DO WRESTLING WITH HIM, IF I WIN IT FREE, IF I LOSS THEY CHARGE ME $400. I SAID "NO".

THEN THEY STARTED MAKING FUN OF ME, THAT IM ACTING LIKE A JEW, AND ACTING LIKE OTHER INDIAN PEOPLE, WHO DONT LIKE TO PAY.

THEN I SAID I HAVE TO GO, I WENT TO THE DRESSING ROOM CHANGE MY DRESS AND WEN TO THE HELP DESK ASK FOR A TOLL FREE NUMBER, (AT THAT TIME THE 2ND GUY COME IN) HE GIVE A NUMBER [protected], I SPET OUTSIDE, SINCE I WANTED TO MAKE A COMPLAINT ABOUT THERE SALES PERSON, BUT THE NUMBER WAS WRONG.

I CAME BACK IN AT 6:35 PM SAME DATE 04/02/2010, I SAID I WANT TO CANCELL MY MEMBERSHIP I WANT MY FULL MONEY BACK, WHICH HE GALDY DID IT.

NOTE:-
    1) I WAS FORCED TO BUY TRAINING SESSION
    2) THEY THREATEN ME THAT, THEY CAN ACCESS MY ACCOUNT AND BILL IT TO MY CARD, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE.
    3) THEY WANTED TO GAMBLE ME OVER A WE WRESTLING MATCH (BETWEEN ME AND THE 2ND GUY, WHO IS PERSION)
    4) THEY MADE RACIAL REMARK THAT I WAS ACTING LIKE A JEW AND OTHER INDIAN PEOPLE (IM NOT JEW, IM MUSLIM, FOR YOU INFORMATION)
    5) I WAS TREATED BADLY.
    Damage Resulting = I WAS MENTALLY DEPRESSED,
    I WAS THREATEN.

I FELL LIKE THAT IN USA IF YOU A BROWN PERSON THIS HOW YOU WILL BE TREATED,

• Wa
    WashingtonResident Mar 24, 2010

Along with that, their staff (mostly personal trainers, not sales staff) enjoy gossiping, trash-talking, harassing, slandering, etc., of their clients which I have recently experienced at a WA location. Unfortunately when I first came to this location, I loved the staff. With recent change in management and new hiring of staff based on friendship, I have been very discouraged and dissatisfied. Not only was one personal trainer talking to my personal trainer very loudly about me and my personal business (where my personal trainer defended me) but this conversation was overheard by an acquaintance of mine (member of la fitness) which is partially how I found out. Very very tacky and unprofessional business practices. Also this constitutes slander and harassment because the things this trainer was saying were not true. When I brought this to her attention, she said, "this is not the right time or place." And she was right, my point made exactly. Talking badly about your own customers in your own workplace is never the "right time or place". It's amazing how she can differentiate between talking badly and making up false statements about la fitness's customers which seems to be ok with her but it's not ok for her to be asked about her actions and why she's doing them at work. Weird.

• This week I was excited to begin my work-out by getting into the spin classes at the TANASBOURNE/HILLSBORO La Fittness in Oregon. At the Monday 5:45am class the teacher Michelle spent the first 20minutes wandering around chit chatting with her friends in the class, in her slippers. When I asked her if she would be getting on the bike and starting the class soon she said she needed to make sure everyone was ready. During the hour class she was on the bike less then 15 minutes.

I tried to go to the evening class feeling the morning one was a complete waste. I saw not only the same behavior but worse. The instructor Victor was flirting with the thin girls, told me and my sister to get in the back so we could sneak out when we couldnt handle his class. He was touching peoples dials, wandering around again on the bike less than 20min. He also told a 70 year old man that if he couldnt keep up with the big boys maybe he should find another class. (Most teachers would have suggested to the whole class to modifiy the moves if you are having a difficult time, without humiliating new students.)

I tried again on Wendsday. The class was supposed to start at 5:45. The front desk person wasnt in so the instructors, janitors, students were locked out until he got in at 6:00. It was Michelle again and instead of getting in and start working immediantly she wandered around again so I got a 30min class.

Friday, I found out The teacher would be the person that manges the other instructors. I was excited to get a decent class and alert her to the problems with the other instructors. To my dismay, she didnt even bother to show up. We had a class of 15 students trying to work on our own. I have never seen such unprofessional behavior!

• Ho
    hollywoodtrainer Jan 26, 2010

In all honesty I am a trainer and it's hard to think that a trainer in their right mind would be inappropriate. From what I see, most of the members outfits are inappropriate. No offense, but are you heavy set? If something is so disgusting as to be offensive when doing the hamcurl machine someone should say something as this trainer did. We need a second opinion, what were you wearing that day? some women think they look good in something when they DO NOT! And touching a stranger on the lower back is not inappropriate, I do it all the time. I touch the upper back at times and sometimes even the lower back, never the butt or legs, so get over that part---its not inappropriate!!! There is ### that goes on everywhere people, every gym, get over it!!! I rarely keep valuables in the locker room and I always take a clean shower at home and wash my hands real good as to not get any staph...
    blah blah. Get over what you don't like about the gym. Who cares what the gym puts on TV or the trainers or what other excuse you people ### about. youre there to workout. put your headphones on with your own music, mind your own business and get your workout on! capece?!?

Summary:
    Please upload a photo of what you were wearing that day...and i hope you were wearing panties too...

Jerry Gosinya Jan 15, 2019

@hollywoodtrainer Another [censored] bag whose ignorance is his own bliss. Touching someone without their permission is against the law. And if you ever wind up in jail because you did something that was against the law, and get your s^^t pushed in by Jerome, I hope get over it.

• Da
    David Morano Jan 18, 2010

The LA Fitness in Chandler Az. at Dobson and Warner SUCKS! I pay for towel service and out of the last 25 times I went to the gym, they were out of towels. They were either in the washing machine or dryer. As if they only have 3 towels. When I complained to the manager (Daniel) he showed very little interest and told me that the reason there are never any towels is because the gym members steal them. Thats CRAP! I have 7 members that I am currently paying for. I am going to cancel all 7 and join Pure Fitness. The trainers are also a bunch of perverts. They just walk around and scam on the ladies. This place is a huge joke.

• Li
    linhans Dec 17, 2009

I am in the process of trying to quit LaFitness. I have heard this is easier said than done. I have had issues with the club in Edina Mn. There are numerous paper towel and hand cleaning stations around the club but, 9 times out of 10, no towels or cleaner. I told the front desk people about this, waited 15 min. to see what would happen and, guess what-no towels or hand cleaner. The carpet in the club is starting to stink and the machines are somewhat dated and they don`t clean them. There also seems to be so many employees wandering around looking so totally buff with nothing to do but stare at others. I personally don`t need them monitoring me like this is the senior citizens center and they are waiting for one of us to drop. I am glad to quit. Hope others heed the warning. Try another club otherwise, start walking. Lift rocks or something. This place just isn`t worth it. Also, used hot tub once and got a very nasty infection from it. Year later, still have it. Not pleasant at all.

• K1
    k1221n Oct 09, 2009

I too had a membership at LA fitness in San Diego, and had nothing but problems with the sales and training staff while trying to get a work out. They went so far as to call the police on a guy that the women there found attractive and wanted to train with him, the trainers became jealous and talked one of the female workers there to file a false police report on the guy in order to drive him out of there.

• Mo
    mommyto2 Aug 05, 2009

I am a member at the LA Fitness at 1300A LITITZ PIKE, LANCASTER, PA 17601.

On March 25, 2009, I told one of the female managers about an individual that has been bothering me for a while. All I had to say was “I have a problem with a gym member” and she knew exactly who I was referring to.

I told her that he constantly approaches me and talks for a long time. I try to ignore him but he will stand there and just talk for a long time. I have tried to be polite but he doesn’t get the hint that I don’t want to talk. I have to always be aware of where he is to avoid him. He is always talking to the girls there. I try to sneak around so as not to be seen by him but he always finds me, every day.

Sometimes he sees me in the parking lot as I am going into the gym with my 8 month old son and he walks me in. He will stop me as I am walking in to the gym to see my baby. He is always asking about my baby. As a parent, this freaks me out a little. He is not a friend at all. I don’t even know him except that we go to the same gym.

I go to the LA Fitness every day for an hour. I put my son I the daycare. He is there when I get there at 8am. So I tried going later in the afternoon, he’s there. My relatives go to LA Fitness as well and say he’s there when they are there. I tried going as late as 5pm, he’s there. This leads me to believe that he is at the gym every day for about 8-10 hours a day.

The female manager I spoke with was very nice about it. She told me that there have been many complaints by other women there about him bothering them. She, herself, has had many talks with him about his behavior. She had said that if they get one more complaint about this member, they will revoke his membership. My friend who also is a member was so harassed by him that the management told him to leave her alone and don’t talk to her anymore.

His response was “You need to hear my side of this”. This shows that he doesn’t think he is doing anything wrong. After management spoke to him about bothering my friend, he confronted my friend in the middle of the gym. She then yelled at him so loud that a trainer came to her aid and told him to leave her alone.

March 26, 2009, the same manager I spoke with said that the problem was taken care of that morning. I wasn’t given the details of what was said, only that the issue was dealt with. I was at the gym today, March 28, 2009, and he was there. He walked by the treadmill I was on and waved and said HI! He also follows me from machine to machine sitting and staring at me just waiting for me to pause so he can talk to me.

I asked the manager what the policy is for this. She said it's a very lenient policy. Only after several warnings by local management does the corporate office send a letter to the member's home warning them about their behavior.

I now carry mace and my cell phone with me at all times while working out. I wish there was police presence there.

I do fear retaliation by him. I have requested that someone walk me to and from my car when I have my infant son with me. As of yet, nobody from the gym has contacted me regarding my request.

He needs to have his membership revoked and be banned from the gym. This member, according to the manager, has been giving several warnings about his behavior. He obviously does not understanding the situation. I am very disappointed at LA Fitness for not having a Zero Tolerance policy for this type of behavior. I am also disappointed that the gym is putting his feelings above the safety of the women members. This guy is a predator and needs to have his membership revoked.

• Dg
    Dgafkmk1 Jul 17, 2009

LAF is a Rip off!!!
    When me and my bro signed up they said the best plan for us .is the one with the 2 guests and today i went to LA Fitness is Redlands, CA and the guy said i have to be 18 to enter the gym because of new policy rules.Its BullSh*t because i go everyday to the gym and never had this problem.The Girls that work there are super Chill.and This one guy is a complete D*ck!

• Xc
    xclovenx Jun 18, 2009

I agree that it can be hard to get some places to stop charging you. I've had experiences with this as well. I really like LA Fitness though. I use the gym everyday before work. The trainers have always been polite ( I didn't sign up for a trainer, I just bought books and magazines like Bill Phillips Body for Life, and Oxygen), the front desk persons are friendly, and the facility is well maintained. I have also been a part of other gyms, and I felt they had run down equipment, and a not so professional atmosphere.

I have run into a few people who loved the personal training and it has worked for them, and I have also run into a few people who wanted out of the program and had issues with being charged.

I found that several people who were angry with the training or gym not working, didn't really do everything they were supposed to do to see the results. They missed appointments, they didn't change their food/water habits, and slowly drug themselves around the gym complaining about how they didn't want to do the stuff the trainer was having them do. They saw little if no results after weeks of not really changing their life or outlook on working out and their relationship with food.

Maybe this frustration is felt by the trainer who made the post. I feel it could have been said better (nicer?) and that perhaps their intent was to say it's not the trainers fault that the money spent and time put into it didn't work quite right. That perhaps if people took an honest look at all the parts it takes to make the commitment it would turn out a bit different.

Training is a lifetime commitment, not just 6 to 12 weeks. It's something you think about every meal of the day, every workout, every supplement, and the time spent envisioning what you want for your life.

If you feel you were cheated and over charged, these things may be true from a financial stand point I agree. That responsibility is with the corporate offices.

If you feel the trainer was being unjust, perhaps they are just as frustrated about not being able to get results from their clients. They can't fix what people won't fix for themselves.

• Bj
    BJ0409 May 18, 2009

I live in Elgin, IL. I recieved a flyer from LA Fitness in the mail to try their facility for 7 days for free. They had just opened 2 weeks ago in South Elgin so I was interested. There was no asterik or catch to it on the coupon. It just said, "other memberships MAY be presented". So I go in and the sales person SHAUN GREEN takes the coupon, asks me if i'm serious about joining, which yes, I was because I was interested in joining at a later date. So he then goes on to tell me that the pass is for 3 DAYS and that then I would be charged for the first month of membership and last month of membership and wouldn't have to pay registration fee. I told him I wasn't sure about that and that I would think about it. THen he offered me a tour of the gym. I thought, I'm already in here, might as well. After the tour he said, so do you want to give it a try? I'm thinkin I get to try for 3 days and if i don't cancel I get charged. So he takes me card and the next thing I know he's asking me to sign for 79.95. I said that is not what we discussed and told him to cancel it and he said, "well you might as well sign it because it's already gone through". WITHOUT MY SIGNATURE ON IT YET! He then said, "just come try a class and later if you don't like it, i'll cancel it for you" telling me i'd get a refund in 3-5 days. I leave, pissed and upset because I didn't have that amount in my account. I came back less than 5 mins later telling AnnMarie, the operating manager, to cancel it. She did. The next day, when the overdraft was on my account, my financial advisor as well as a friend of mine (who owns a gym) told me to demand reinbursement for the overdraft fee because it was their fault. I went in to the gym the next day and DOMINIC ORAIGARA told me i needed to speak with AnnMarie. I went in the day after that and AnnMarie told me it was Dominic that i was supposed to speak with. She tells us that the company never reimburses those kind of fees and there is nothing she can do at her level. So I call corporate. JAMES FOX, a customer service member, tells me he WILL NOT give me the district or regional manager's number and that they will contact me in 24 hrs. I asked to speak to James’ boss and he kept giving me the run around, saying, “he’s not available.” So I said, “James, I know you have a boss. I want them on the line. Now, please and thank you.” James says, “well I don’t know where he is” So I said, “well could you find them please?” and he said, “Well he’s not in the facility” So I said, “So you mean to tell me there is nowhere their above you.” He said, “no. but everyone is going to tell you the same thing I am telling you, that we don’t give those kind of refunds.” I was LIVID! He told me the regional manager would be in touch with me, his name is RENE SHARP. I waited in the gym for SEAN because AnnMarie said he was starting his shift soon. SEAN came in, and spoke down to me and tried to make it seem like he did nothing wrong, that I knew I was getting charged, and that he was trying to save me money. Yea. Right. I told him he never said anything about the 7 day pass and that how is it saving me money to make me pay 80 bucks for 3 days. He then tried to dismiss me by saying, "fine i'll give her her $25 fee out of my own pocket." But it's not just about the money. They are tricking people into memberships, telling one thing and doing another and he shouldn't have done it to me or be allowed to do that to someone else. So I called the customer service number again, told the woman to have a director call me ASAP. That was at 4 pm central time. Still no word. And they didn't call me after the initial complaint. It's been 4 days. They are not taking me seriously and trying to sweep the matter under the rug. And now I’m losing money that I couldn’t afford to lose- I just graduated from college without a job and am still transitioning, so this is really taking a toll on my finances.

MANUEL BURGOS May 07, 2009

To: LA FITNESS 05-06-09

My name is Manuel Burgos; I’m a member of your Downey fitness facility, first I would like to say I have several complaints. The first complaint is when I signed up for personal training sessions I was verbally told I would receive three days a week plus twenty seven free sessions at the cost of $232.00 which I indicated to my personal trainer whom trained me according to that schedule without dispute which lead me to believe everything was straight. However months down the road I spoke with the manager whom addressed herself as Suzy, she told me that I did not have a contract with what I was implementing . Suzy went on to tell me I had two days a week plus twenty seven free sessions. I was very upset when I found out I had been mislead, but I swallowed it down with the many tardy sessions I had to endure from my trainer Eric Escobar which was reported to Suzy. I did continue with my sessions with Mr. Escobar because people do make mistakes so we continued with our sessions on a promise there would be no more tardiness. However despite the unprofessionalism, I purchased an additional two sessions a week to make up for the sessions I thought I had already purchased. The next day Mr. Escobar propositioned me to forfeit my new contract and pay him cash for the additional days I desired, which would be Tuesdays and Friday at your other facility which is located at Rosemead and Washington. I agreed with his proposition because it was without contract and his cost would be 180.00 a month no strings attached. On 04-28-09 I forfeit my contract 09117C35EEB with Suzy in the afternoon but she told me she needed me to come back in the evening to pick up my receipt, I requested my receipt at that time, but she declined me, and said she would have it ready for me in the evening and not to worry. I returned in the evening for my receipt, however it was not ready and I had to wait 15 minutes to receive my proof of cancellation. On 04 -29-09, Mr. Escobar informed me that he could no longer work out with me during our training sessions, I would like to state Mr. Escobar has been working out with me during our sessions since the start of my original contract. It seems Suzy is now trying to dictate how my work out sessions should be administered to me, and if what Mr. Escobar has been doing is against company policy, why am I now after several months being informed that there are certain guide lines that must followed? And finally the whole reason for this letter is to bring to your attention on 05-06-09 during my verifiable session, Mr. Escobar made an unwelcomed statement, he said where did you get that ###ed up van from, your mother? I said dude my mother is dead! And he said, and! Where did you get that ###ed up van from your mother? Mr. Escobar had no right to question nor slander my dead mother nor myself after I told him she was dead .that statement should had been halted however he did not stop and human rights were abused. I am requesting a complete cancellation of both my gym and training memberships. Thank you .Manuel R Burgos [protected]

• Di
    Disgrunted Apr 09, 2009

This place is horrible. I had a free training session coming to me and when I took it--the young woman worked me so hard I almost vomited on the spot. I had to lay down on the floor for over 20 minutes just not to.

During that time the trainers were joking and laughing. One of them even said to me, 'Want a steak sandwich.' I hate these people. I immediately revoked my membership.

HORRIBLE STAFF.

Jeff Apr 03, 2009

I've never been as member of LA Fitness, but I've had similar experiences with others.
    At one the "personal trainer" was constantly asking to refer friends and went as far to ask for names and numbers so he could contact them.
    At another the staff members were not interested in helping unless it was for someone they knew personally.
    Right now I'm a member at a club where the staff seems to care and they aren't bugging me for leads on new members.
    I hop LA Fitness never comes to where I live. It sounds like they are a bunch of losers.

anna Mar 23, 2009

watch out for a guy named Adam at La Cienega Club In Los Angels as he has been known to grab womens buttocks and sexual harass girls. Complaining to Corporate Office does no good.

• Go
    gotohoward Mar 01, 2009

Hi. I really can't believe what I am reading going through all the texts. I have been in customer service for many years, and issues can certainly get muddled working with the public. Everyone has their own perception, and sometimes even distort reality, when it comes to their experiences. Many larger gyms have huge expenses to cover as well as over zealous practices to generate income. Exercise is also a highly personal endeavor which takes a strong commitment and affects people psychologically in so many different ways. Health center employees have to deal with this on a daily basis, and sometimes the financial issues are where things come to a head. I don't forgive the gym business for shoddy business practices or even having difficulty hiring and retaining qualified individuals, but I do feel that systems should be in place to handle difficult circumstances according to basic operating philosophy of "Putting the customer first."

There are exceptional cases where resolution of a difficult problem can not be resolved on the front line, and sometimes even at deeper levels, but I always feel that an unhappy customer just isn't worth the trouble of standing your ground business-wise. 99 out of a 100 times people that are unhappy just want someone to treat them kindly and professionally, and make an adjustment if necessary.
    When all else fail, agree to disagree, and move on. A person that is that dissatisfied will not be an asset to your center. On another level, a dissatisfied patron will spread the word exponentially which could hurt business no matter how large or small your concern is.

As far as the one post from a supposed trainer, I never read anything so abrasive in regard to customer service. I am sure he follows the school of thought of telling people how it is, but being an administrator myself, I would like to find this individual (if in fact he exists as a health center worker) and dispatch him immediately. Having somebody around like that is far worse than having a disgruntled customer. This is certainly a testament to the future of business in America. Companies just can't afford quality personnel. It's embarrassing as a citizen, and I'm not even out of shape! Hopefully, everything will get smaller as a result of our economic climate and corporate mismanagement. This problem may even go deeper into our nation's infrastructure starting with the education system. Good luck everyone! I may just a nice walk in my own park, and hopefully not get bitten by somebody's dog.

• Jm
    J.M Jan 19, 2009

When I went to LA Fitness, was nightmare! Membership manager Mr.S B was so rude. Just a bit complain and asked to check tearm and condition (I was very calmly) He suddenly shouting and thretened me. Even, he said call the police! I said didn't mind call the police cos I didn't make any wrong..for me was wellcome, police could stop his aggresive attitude. I asked him to please stop shouting, just I wanted check team and condition but he posed like Gangster and shouted I'm came from xxxxx, if I shouted you can't stand up here! What the custmer servise. Well, LA Fitness hired Gangster guy as Membership manager? I wanming everybody Very dangerous to join LA Fitness South India Quay.

• Fl
    flapjackjoe Dec 11, 2008

I was a member with LA for about 2 years, and then I left because of the terrible, TERRIBLE customer service - not only on the phone, but at the gym as well. They don't care how many members they have at their facility. Overcrowding is a huge problem, especially at some of the more urban gyms. But they don't care. They sign up as many people as they can regardless of how overcrowded they are. So I left LA and went to a private gym, which I had to cancel due to my schedule change. Cancelling my membership was an ordeal and a half. I think adopting a child is cheaper and takes less time and paperwork than cancelling my damn membership! They charged me for months after the papers were filed even though I received confirmation that my membership was cancelled. I had to contact Visa to get my money back and prevent any further charges from arising.

I went back to LA Fitness and signed on because I got a really great deal for a 3-year membership. Now that I'm back and locked in for 3 years (it's pre-paid, so I can't leave or I lose all of that money), I'm stuck because they won't give me my money back.

No matter which gym you go to, it is crowded and undermaintained. I go at 5am. They've had between 12am and 5am to clean. But the place is filthy. The machines are dirty, there's water bottles and dirty paper towels in the cupholders of the cardio equipment, and there's gum on the footpads of the elliptical machines. A broken machine will sit with a sign on it for DAYS before it is repaired. I have had a fungal infection from the showers, even though I wear flip-flops; I now use anti-fungal cream as a prophylaxis to avoid a recurrent infection.

The trainers have an "I'm hotter than God" attitude when they walk around (not all of them, mind you - there are some really nice, professional ones - but most are meathead jerks). It shows not only in their actions, but their words. I've heard many comments muttered about guests, or about topics that they feel are appropriate to discuss at work (who they're screwing outside of work, etc.) with their meathead buddies. Professionalism is ZERO with these guys. I had brain surgery a few years ago and wanted to rehab myself back into shape. No way in hell would I pay these guys to train me - especially after reading the trainer's comment earlier. They obviously have NO regard for people's well-being. It's about making money and being seen. That's it.

For your online account, your username is your e-mail address. I typed my e-mail address again and again to get in, to no avail. I finally contacted customer service, and I was told that "HOTMAIL" was spelled wrong. The manager of the gym that I signed up at spelled "HOTMAIL" wrong, not to mention my entire e-mail address! I was told that I am not allowed to change my username, so I am stuck with that one that is misspelled and therefore has no meaning to me whatsoever. First of all, HOT and MAIL are first-grade words. And this was the manager I dealt with! Second, why the F can't I pick my own username? So I was later told by a manager that I can change it if she resets everything. She did so, and I got an e-mail when I got home. It again told me that I cannot change my username.

In one of the men's locker rooms, they put up a sign that swimsuits are required. Mind you, it is only one gym, and it is only in the men's locker room (there's no such sign in the women's locker room - I smell discrimination!). I never wear a swimsuit when I'm steaming, because steam is for relaxation and you can't fully relax if you're constricted by clothing. I understand that there's a lot of cruising that goes on in the gym with the gay guys. What do you expect - they're gay and they're around naked dudes? I think the solution isn't to make everyone wear a swimsuit. In fact, being naked is more likely to reveal those who are cruising for sex, if you know what I mean. I think the key is just to have your eyes open to it and identify those who are cruising and stop it dead in its tracks. Not to mention that quite a few of the male employees are in the steamroom cruising for sex themselves. So who are they to call anyone out on it?

I've spoken to the management about my concerns, but it gets me nowhere. They just tell me, "yeah, we hear that complaint a lot, " or they give me some mumbo-jumbo that I have to go home and put into an online Idiot-to-English dictionary to interpret its meaning. I've called customer service, and they also blow me off like I'm nobody. I know I'm only one person.

This gym is a total joke. DO NOT sign up here.

And to that complete ### of a "trainer" that posted before - not everyone that goes to LA and complains about it is a fat, greasy dirtbag. I'm a heavy lifter, and I work out 6 days a week. I go to the gym to get in a decent workout, and I get out. But while I'm there, I want a comfortable environment. I shouldn't have to clean off the equipment when I'm the first one to be using it that day. I shouldn't have to avoid a run-in with some greasy muscle jerk trainer because I walked near him on my way to my next machine. I shouldn't have to learn to misspell my own e-mail address so that I can login to my account. I shouldn't have to shower with clothes on because the Larry Craigs that they hire are desperately seeking sex in the men's locker room.

Jeff B Nov 25, 2008

LA Fitness Membership:

This is to inform you that I have entered a formal complaint against your company with American Express and I am disputing any future charges you make against my account.

My reason for this is because your customer service personnel in Irvine California hang up on me when I ask them for more detailed information about the persons whose membership fees, services, and other fees being charged to my American Express account. As you probably know, without that information I am unable to process the form you supply online for each individual charge/ membership I have been paying for. You do not even reference on my American Express bill any information I can use to communicate to you about the individual charges.

I am sure that there are many other consumers across the USA who are also frustrated, mistreated, and inconvenienced by the way in which you manage membership information and enter it into your on-line system. I am convinced that your company deliberately fails to enter all pertinent information such as member names, membership numbers, email addresses, etc so that you can delay your members’ requests to cancel their memberships when such requests are made. It is my opinion that this action thereby enables you to fraudulently continue to charge them for fees until they are able to untangle the information you deliberately entered incorrectly into your membership computer systems.

Because it is your policy to require its members to inform in writing to cancel one or more memberships being charged to an account, please accept this letter as such. With this letter, please immediately discontinue all membership fees, services, or other charges you are billing to the following American Express Account: xxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx.

Cc: American Express PO Box 981531 El Paso, TX [protected]

• De
    Dee Sep 25, 2008

I have read all the comments on this page and for others who are very skeptical about not joining LA Fitness I have worked at the Lake Highlands Location for about ten months and I'll give you an inside tip as to why you should not join this gym.

First Sales. When you first walk in the gym they do not see you as a person who is concerned about your health and wellness all they see is the potential $50 in commission they are going to get. $0 enrollment means a higher monthly fee you will have to pay and sometimes they go in the system and change your monthly dues. And if the sales are really pressed up against he wall to make there quota they'll charge you for two memberships. So please hold on to your contracts. Most of these general managers are very prejudiced towards African Americans who walk in the club. First off let me say that although lake highlands is well kept, its still in city limits and to not want to sign someone up cause of the color of their skin is flat out ridiculous or if someone that was African American comes in to the gym with a 3 to 7 day guest pass then they're freeloading which was the comment made by a general manager who is no longer there. And if the currrent general manager at the LAke Highlands location isn't making racists comments to a staff member he's probably in the back getting oral sex from the club pride girl (people i'm so not making this up)

Secondly Operations. By me working at this location for ten months I have encountered my fair share of complaints myself where If I couldn't fix the problem myself then I made sure the operations manager knew what the problem was and it could be fixed. Nothing is ever done until it becomes a coorporate problem so going forward if you have a complaint send it to the coorporate headquarters not the general or operations manager.

Lastly the Atmosphere. If you want to join a gym where it smells like raw sewage, the pool and hot tub is never cleaned, the weights are never put away and stored in their proper place by members, the wood in the dry sauna is falling apart, pieces of the workout equipment are missing, your things can get stolen faster then you can put them down, people making unwanted advances to you while your working out, and walking into the mens lockeroom and witnessing sexual encounters between two men then this is the place for you. I know certain things happen everywhere but this location was totally unprofessional the managers have no idea what they are doing so how could I know what to inform people about if i'm given the wrong information myself. I'm speaking from experience on an unprofessional standpoint seeing as though I lost my job because my manager said he was going to do something and didn't and because he didn't he had to save his ### and make me look like the bad guy which is to be expected but I never even got an apology from him or this lousy company this is me giving you all real inside reasons as to why you should not join this gym...

• Pr
    PR girl Aug 06, 2008

LA fitness have horrible training and it is almost impossible to cancel the membership! LETS FIGHT BACK!I WORK IN PR I GOT CONNECTIONS!

I joined LA fitness December 07 and had my free personal training session where that idiot of trainer told me to lose 10-20 pounds...Im 5'8" tall and 125 pounds...WTF!
    I yelled at him and told him that I will never come back again, because one of my best friends nearly died because of an eating disorder.

So, the next day they called me to ask if I was alright and I said no and that I wanted to cancel the membership immediately.After trying to convince me to stay they finally agreed to send me the form. I never received anything, so I called them and they said I should go online. I did, but i didn't wanna set up an account so I called them again and the lady told me that the problem will be solved. they will call me back.
    because I was graduating I didn't have the time to follow up with them.

when I canceled in MAY(!!!) my Swiss credit card they started calling me non stop. then I realized that they have been using my card all the time, because I was so stupid to slide my card once over there!Since then I was sent from one place to the other and apparently all their printers are out of order...sure, but they still can print out applications!!!

I'm working for a PR guy and he discovered in 1989 a major scam with the parking meters in LA where the city had to pay over 15 million dollars back to the people that got parking tickets at manipulated parking meters. He is very well connected and we are going to the media now. If you want to be part of it let me know.I'm trying to collect as many angry people as possible!

• Ry
    Ryan Jun 09, 2008

This place's business practices are the fitness equivalent of the mafia.

I joined a new location in New Brighton, MN. I went there for maybe 3 days, then went on vacation for 3 weeks.

Coming back, I noticed cheap paper signs had been put up in the locker room informing members that lockers there were for day use only. No overnight storage... can you see where this is going?

Of course, my locker had been cut already and upon checking with the front desk's lost and found, my stuff was nowhere to be found.

I requested 3 months of paid membership since I estimated the total value of the contents of my locker to be about $100.

I also expressed considerable concern that they would throw out or "donate" a brand new member's belongings within a month of opening!

I received word that if I could prove that it was in fact L.A. Fitness that had cut my lock, in a court of law, I could receive one free month of paid membership dues.

Upon hearing this, I instantly informed them I no longer wished to be a part of their club. I strongly urge anyone considering a membership at L.A. fitness to look elsewhere, or better yet buy a bench and some free weights.

WARNING!! DO NOT JOIN!!!

• Mi
    Mia Apr 24, 2008

LA fitness needs to educate its training managers on proper customer service. I was scammed into a full year of training sesssions by an unscrupulous, money-hoaring woman. They show you pictures of how fat they were and brain wash you into agreeing to training sessions with unqualified people. They claim that they are all certified trainers and some can't even speak english!!! Then, their billiing practices. They double bill you, claim innocence and give you the hardest of time to get your money back, making you provide sensitive, personal bank information. Don't trust their billing practices, they are deceptive!!

• De
    Deborah Mar 18, 2008

Not only do I have a monthly membership that I thoroughly enjoy, but I also have a training membership with Body of Change. I work out with an awesome trainer from Coral Springs, Florida, (Umberto) and am happy to report that I have seen substantial improvements. Am I working hard for those improvements? Yes! With Umberto's help!

As to membership practices, I never felt that anyone was being deceitful in the least. The Body of Change representative not only got me the best possible deal, but he spelled out the entire financial obligation! If you work out the details, I am paying about $20 for each 1/2 hour training session, which is incredible if you do any research and check out the much higher prices out there.

Honestly, I was so impressed by this company, that I have started working there myself one hour per week conducting an Aqua Fitness class.

• Co
    Connie Lee Dec 19, 2007

I agree with what people are saying on this site. Peopl at La fitness are the rudest people I've ever met. With the exception of a few. I WAS a member of La fitness in Mill Creek Washington. I went into the hot tub after a long days work to relax my muscles. Came out took a shower went home. The next day I find all these little red dots on the top part of my body. Starting from my lower back , Down to my bottom. frot of my upper legs, up my back to my arms and stomic. I went to my doctor to show him. He then told me it was an bactiral infection and that the bacteria is only found in Hot tubs and Lakes and had I been swimming lately. I told him I was in the hot tub at my gym for a bit. I then told the managment staff at the gym. Some IDIOT and ### named Shawn, and Sarah. Those two ###s had the NERVE to say it was an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the pool and that the hot tub was clean. I got my doctor to write a note stating the bateria that cause the affection lives only in hot tubs. They once again stated that I am allergic to the chemicals in the pool its like I've been swimming since i was 2 im not allergic to the chemicals in pools plus i was a member of that club for 2 years before the hot tub insident. I had to threaten them with legal action just so I could quit the gym without paying that cancelation fee.

• La
    Laura Dec 14, 2007

This is in response to THOMAS SMITH - the "Physical Trainer" who posted garbage like this:

"All we hear is your pissing and moaning." "No pain, no gain"? Its exactly that."

"Just deal with it and stop crying like ###." "expect us to somehow get you into some sort of human shape (not possible, your disgusting and WAY out shape). Day in and day out, we personal trainers make every attempt to reshape your flabby, greasy, out of shape bodies into something that will not make the rest of us projectile vomit."

"Maybe we should schedule you some surgery to have your mouth sewn shut?"

THOMAS - you are exactly a representation of why Corporate America is in the state that it's in. You whine & complain about having to work to earn the almighty dollar and yet to fail to understand a vital point : YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A JOB IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE CUSTOMER.

No pain, no gain???? How about "IF IT HURTS, DON'T DO IT"... physically, financially or otherwise, you idiot. Some physical trainer you must be.

And I'm sure you must be in stellar shape, you egotistical man-slut. You probably stand up straighter because your head is so full of hot air.

Get a grip, get a life and get a job more befitting of your attitude --- like a garbage collector.

• Cr
    crazyforcoke Nov 15, 2007

As to the "trainers" response to the complaints about the "cost" the "slobs" are speaking about...

"Trainer", I guess you are all "muscle" and "little to no brains". If you could read you would have heard the emphasis of the complaint to be with the intentional deceptive practices of this outfit in general. If a health club was honest they would have contracts that would be easy to fulfill by both parties. A club would not want to make money for a service the other party (for whatever reason) chose to no longer take advantage, or felt the club was not adequate in supplying what they agreed to. As for the lady that never signed the contract and was still charged (who bone-head "Trainer" was first referring to?), lady, I would be suing this club as well as the notification to the BBB.

I work in contracting and we recently gave this same club some steep discounts to get more business. It worked, they wanted us to do more work for them. But one thing, they are not too good at paying their bills when they owe. Really? Surprised? Not really. Look at the history of most major health clubs and you find they are notorious for deception and simply put "legalized robbery".
    Go ask your banker if they have clients coming in trying to get the banks help to stop payment to a particular club. They will tell you they are the worst. Might find the club you are ready to join on the top of their list?

Want to join a club? Do it on a month to month contract... in cash. You like them you can save money by making a longer arranged payment (ie. pay for 6 or 12 months). If they won't accept monthly and want your bank account or C.C. number with authorization to rape you monthly (worse than the meager polite hand on the back, by the way you would have thought she would have liked someone letting her know some things she wasn't aware of being exposed were in view, but maybe in the meat market that was her desire), you may chose to find a different club.

Smaller clubs seem to be more honest, and not mind your cash business.

Food for thought.
    Oh hopefully diet food, without all the fat.

Happy weight pumping!