Kool Smiles Dentistrywaiting time and leaving children unattended

I have complained before and spoken to the office manager Ed on 2 different instances. He assured me that the office was going through change and the staff was superior. I want to make one thing clear-I do not have a choice. I have to bring my children to this practice because it is the only one in the area that BMC takes. I am very disatisfied every visit and I believe that the Kool Smiles website is a bunch of lies. Most people who complain are in the same boat as I am-left with no other choice. That is why we have to go back to them-to get some sort of care for our children. My complaint today is my 3 year old son was left sitting in a chair for 30 minutes before anyone even cleaned his teeth. That took all of 10 to 12 minutes. He was then left sitting for another 25-30 minutes-after which he started playing w/ his shoes and moved on to playing w/ the plastic chair cover-which looks like a clear garbage bag. The 2 techs had their backs to him and he put it over his head and pulled it down to his chest. I had to run to get the reception to go in the back and tell them. Seriously-this is a huge safety hazard and needs to be addressed immediately.(all this was seen through the window because you are not allowed to go in with children of any age)

• Ju
    JuneMerry May 31, 2018

Kool Smiles has been sued for fraud and mistreatment of children. Avoid them at all costs!

Just so you know, they can’t legally force you to stay outside the treatment room. Even if Kool Smiles is the only place your insurance takes, in the long run it would be cheaper to take your child to a real pediatric dentist. Kool Smiles will create more problems that will cost more in the end.

• Br
    branditw Jun 08, 2011

I went to Kool Smiles and they said I had four cavities. then I went to a new dentist to have them filled because I didnt want to wait and be tortured by an infomercial for 2 hours. The new dentist took new x rays and examined my teeth extensively and found NO cavities. Kool Smiles is out to take adavantage of low income people to make profit. Its disgusting.

choosen one Apr 28, 2011

well i have worked for the company. an as a mother i would not take my child there for nothing in the world. the company run like a food chain. thats all the company cares about is making money. the true are of dentistry is not there. the doctors they have working for them starts off with care but after they have worked and seen in a weeks period about 300-400 patients they get tired. so the care for the patient is not that great. you the long wait time comes from the company policy. when you check in if you are a commercial patient your information has to be sent to the company headquarters where there are about six people processing insurance for 160-180 offices around united states. the next thing the schedule is so over booked that when you have 13 people there for 11am that needs cleaning an 2 hygienist and only 5 to 6 seats. the company needs to rethink the idea of general dentistry and maybe it will get better. when something is done to your child without knowledge you have all rights to lawsuit. you did not agree for the treatment. before anything is done they are suppose to contact you first and let you know. you are the one who determine whats done to your child. when you go to the dr. before anything is done to you what steps do they take? they inform you because you he the right to deny treatment.

• Br
    BRENDA111 Mar 16, 2011

ON TODAY 03/15/11 MY 7YR OLD SON HAD AN APPT FOR 4 SEALENTS. I TOOK HIM IN WITHOUT NO CONCERN OF NOTHING. I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING IN ONLY FOR THAT BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD. WHEN THE DENTIST FINSHED WITH HIM THEY BROUGHT HIM OUT. THE DENTIST ASSISTANT NOTIFY ME THAT THEY DIDNT GET TO FILL TWO OF THE TEETH BECAUSE THE DENTIST HAD TO PUT THEM SILVER CROWNS ON. I WAS SO DISSAPOINTED BECAUSE THE DENTIST DIDNT TOOK HER TIME TO NOTIFY ME THAT THE CROWNS WERE PUT ON HIM. SHE DECIDED OVER ME.

• Gr
    grise Aug 10, 2010

well it happen to me twice that i make appoitments for my kids to kool smiles and they cant bee seen cuz they cant find thier appt.!!!i cant believe this waste my time and gas cuz i dont even live nearby im so upset!!!what happen to the good cutomer service kool smiles yall suck!!!

• Ve
    very concerned mother Jul 26, 2010

From one Mother to another, here is a breif discription of my experience with Kool smiles. One afternoon I was brushing my two year old sons teeth when I noticed a small pin size hole in one of his canine teeth. I immediately got online to find a dentist for my son that would accept my health insurance and when I came upon Kool smiles in the list of providers I was extatic! I had seen their commercials on televison and I knew it would be a great place to bring him because the enitre place was geared toward children his age. I called to setup the appointment which I was able to get very qucikly (now I know why). We arrived the morning of our visit and my son could not have been more excited to find a little climbing area with a slide and other children to play with while he waited, I thought "what a great idea to make the dentist seem like a fun place to try to ease the fear of the little ones instead of having them sitting in a waiting room fearing what would happen when it was their turn". I filled out the usual new patient paper work and after about 40 minutes we were in the room getting x rays and an exam. When the dentist came in the room to examine my sons teeth and look over his x rays she had found that he had six cavities in his mouth and she decided that it would be appropriate to grind down all six teeth and put metal caps on each one of them, I expressed my concern that the cavities were so small they were hardly noticable to the naked and eye and I didnt see why such extreme measures needed to be taken for such small holes. The dentist had explained to me that they are not able to fill cavities in young childrens mouths because they dont last very long when the cavities are "so deep" and that in their office they will not fill them because it isnt their policy. I was very disheartened with their soultion to fix my two years olds teeth so much so that I had decided to go and get a second opinion. I called a new office and got an appointement for four weeks later. When I brought him to this dentist the cavities had gotten alot worse because they were untreated for several weeks while I was waiting to have him seen. We went in the examination room and and had the same exam done, and they reviewed his x rays and the dentist told me that the cavities were so minimal that he wouldnt even need to use novocaine to get them filled since they were only on the surface and had not reached the nerve (mind you kool smiles couldnt fill them because they were "so deep"). He said there was no way that he would need to have any of his teeth capped because the cavities were so minimal. Walking out of the office that day I had felt such a huge sigh of relief that my toddler didnt have to have his teeth ground down and metal caps placed over them! Needless to say I would NOT recommend Kool smiles in anyway they are money hungry and would go as far as putting an innocent two year old through many painful uncessary trips to the dentist to be left with a mouth full of metal caps just to make a buck. Please dont fall for their commercials... the way they get their money to pay for them is compeletly disheartening and unethical.