Kenmore Elite / Sears Dual Fuel Ovenstove caught fire

We purchased a Kenmore Elite 40 in. Dual Fuel Range Model 790.75503 when we built our home in 2006. My wife was getting ready to put cupcakes in the oven when there was a loud pop, flash, and then flames! It blew a hole in the heating element burned for a short period. The stove has been taken care of and in like new...but now we cannot use it at all besides the little side oven. We have a 3 yr. old and a 6 mos. old. I cringe to think what could have happened if my wife would have been upstairs or another room with my boys when this thing decided to malfunction and catch fire. I have Googled the problems and it makes me sick to see that Sears is aware of these issues and also the house fires these stoves have caused and refuses to recall them or take responsibility. We keep the breaker turned off unless we need the side oven to try and make supper. I paid big money for this oven (which we saved for to buy) and now can't afford to buy a new one. If I would have had any heads up to the problems we would encounter, I would have never bought it. When it comes to the safety of my family, I am very defensive! We cannot even leave the breaker on because I read that they have turned on by themselves. This scares me to death!! We are supposed to host Christmas at our house this year, but it looks like it is not going to happen with no oven to cook.
Sears, PLEASE be the reputable upstanding company you claim to be and stand behind these ranges before it claims a life or leaves any more people homeless!!!

• SearsCare Oct 16, 2013

Mr. Schlabach,

Thank you for your post and for the feedback regarding the issues that you have had with your Kenmore Elite range. My name is Jack and I am with the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We apologize that the range has not performed as expected and we would like speak with you about the range in greater detail by having a case manager contact you. If you would like to speak to us about this, please email the following information – your contact phone number, screen name (Schlabach), and phone number used at the time of purchase to [email protected] Again we’re sorry for any trouble this may have caused and we look forward to speaking to you soon.

Jack C.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Mk
    MkStItCh Oct 17, 2013

6 years without a problem with the stove and you make it sound like they knew of the problems when they sold it to you.

• Ba
    B. A. S. Jones Oct 18, 2013

We have the same stove and its been nothing but trouble. We purchased it from Sears in 2008. ...everytime you self clean the oven the paint keeps coming off the bottom of the stove. It is even rusting where the grates slid on. The top surface of the stove is so thin it does not clean properly and it gets super hot, and to mention the burners you cannot even clean. They are black and forget about cleaning those...its a waste of time. We have had 7 bottoms sent to us and this last one I knew would do the same. After a year I said I do not want the extended warranty. Even the man from Ohio, the big boss who called said we could get our money back or look for a different stove...even if it was not from Sears. Good luck with your stove...I know I will never purchase another appliance there or anything else. And by the way, the big boss never would return our call. My advice...by American made...USA. They can be found on the internet. I am waiting for something to happen with this stove...and when it does I will take it and set it on the door step at Sears in Dubois, PA.

• Sc
    Schlabach Oct 27, 2013

MKStltCh, I am simply stating that Sears has been aware of the ranges malfunctions for quite some time and did not issue a recall, even after almost 15 house fires were caused due to the malfunctioning range. With all due respect, get the facts before commenting...it makes you look bad :)

• Lo
    loggon Nov 13, 2013

Oh my I have the two oven Kenmore 790 also and it is only 2 years and 14 days old and last night I heard a pop and then a very loud buzzing sound. I looked up and saw smoke in the kitchen. Opened bottom oven and there was a flickering flame on the lower oven left side heating element. I got nothing but run around when I called Sears. The "inspector" is to come tomorrow which will cost me $80. for them to see it was the element even though the Fire Dept. came out and there is a report. They took down the model # and Serial number. After reading all the negative post on several sites on this model, I wish I would have read them prior as I would not have purchased it. I am not sure I will feel safe using this range even if fixed.

• Cd
    CDisappointed Nov 23, 2013

I purchased my 40"Kenmore Elite Duel Fuel in 2007. I, Thank the Lord, have not had a fire but my control panel went out. I turned the electric to the range off so that there is no chance of fire. That really scares me!! I was told there is not a recall on this part even though there have been SEVERAL fires due to this faulty part!! and countless people having to replace it before the range is even 10 years old. So here I am stuck with a range that is costing me $500.00 to fix after purchasing it for over 2000.00. I will not be going to Sears to buy any of my new appliances and never again will I purchase a Kenmore or Frigidaire, (the makers of the range), as they do not stand behind their products and they are willing to put their customers at risk.

• Ba
    Baileyandparkersmom Feb 03, 2014

We are having the same issue with our stove. We purchased this Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel 40 in Stove while we were building our house in 2008. while I was cooking there was a weird smell, loud pop and a blue light arc or electricity bolt came out of my oven. I went down stairs and turned the breaker off. Now nothing is working...no buttons work, clock is off and the oven won't work. I read online that several people have had this problem and it has caught on fire. We have had no luck with the customer care center at Sears or Kenmore. You would think if many people are reporting this they would have a recall. We literally purchased everything Kenmore Elite from Sears brand new when we built this house down to the trash compactor and water softer and will never buy form Sears or kenmore again. We have had trouble with our washer and dryer, trash compactor, refrigerator and now our Stove. We bought expensive items thinking that would mean quality but unfortunately that's not the case. For any of you that have had this problem with your stove...what did you end up doing? At this point I really don't want to go buy a new one for $2300. :(

• SearsCare Feb 04, 2014

Hello Baileyandparkersmom, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We thank you for informing us about this matter. We would be happy to connect you with one of our case managers to assist you with your stove concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Baileyandparkersmom), phone # used at time of purchase [email protected] we look forward to speaking to you.

Dianne D.
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support Team

• Ri
    Richard Schillen Mar 15, 2015

I have the same Dual Fuel Range stove that I purchased from Sears for $2300 or so in 2006. Everything worked fine until last year the largest burner on top every time I lighted it would burn for a while and then there would be an explosion, like a loud pop, and the burner would turn off. So naturally, I didn't continue using it. I called the Sears repair people who came over to diagnose the problem. They charged me $75 for the visit. They said the part had to be replaced, and it was something like $173 or so, and then the labor another couple of hours so it was going to be somewhere in the 450 or so to resolve this matter. Finally, I decided to do it because the largest burner is my favorite burner. I put my wok on that one with the wok stand that is provided. The part was ordered and arrived, the workman showed up and started to work on it, until he gave up saying that the connection had rusted, and he would have to replace the entire set of burners on top just to fix that one on top. It was better to leave it like it was, as the repair was prohibitive. My question is how can it be that the one part can not be removed and replaced with a working part, just because of a little rust? Come on! I was refunded the moneys for the part and whatever I paid for the labor but NOT the initial $75. I think the former refund was to keep me quiet. Well, I am not quiet. I think when something becomes challenging like this Sears is unwilling to help out a) because their staff is not qualified and/or b) they can't be bothered. I would like to correct this situation with a Sears part and Sears technician working on this problem. Is that possible? Contact me at [email protected]

• Mk
    MkStItCh Mar 16, 2015

So, I do not looked at this site that often any more BUT... How do you know that this range almost caused 15 house fires??? If you are going to quote facts then you should include the source of your facts because I can NOT find any site that says "Kenmore Elite Caused 15 house fires"