Complaints & Reviews

fraud and cheating

I bought a sofa "full sleeper" on 08/28/08 for $299.99 + Tax. The salesperson, who happens to be the manager told me that it would be delivered on 09/03/2008 between 1-6 pm. At 5:oo pm on 09/03 I called him because the delivery people haven't arrived and he said they should be at my door any minute, they never did, instead a not very nice woman called me on the phone and told me that the truck broke down (she did not even apologize) she just said that it would have to be re-scheduled for 09/12/08. I said OK cause I did not have any choice.

Supposedly they came in the morning and they say that I did not pick up the phone and they could not deliver, there is no sign that they came at all, they did not even left a message. So I called the manager that same day and he was not in the office and he would not pick up my calls so I talked to his coworker instead and he said that he is not a manager and there is nothing he can do.

I stopped by their store at 5:30 pm that afternoon and the employee told me that I wasted my time coming by because the manager was not there. So I called them again on 09/16 and they both said I should call next day 09/17 around 2:00 pm so I did. And I asked Ramon when would he have my sofa deliver, he replied that I needed to pay another $99.00 for delivery fees. I said "no way" it's not my fault that you guys cannot communicate with your drivers. He told me that the drivers are sub-contractors and he has nothing to do with them. So I asked him to give me a refund, cause I did not want to pay the extra $99 and go trough all the ordeal again.

He said that he would charge me 30% of the total (including the $99 delivery) which came to $120.00 that I would have to give them in order to receive a refund. So far they got my $419.47 since 08/28/08 and I have no sofa and I am very upset and disappointed.

scam warranty

On 5/2/08 I purchased a Maverick Cobblestone Sofa from Jennifer Convertible. The piece was delivered on...

horrible product and service

My husband and I bought our sofa sectional from Jennifer convertibles on April 7th of 2007 it was delivered to use on May 28th of 2007 four months after that we noticed some problems in the sofa so we tried to contact Jennifer convertibles witch is impossible because all their phone lines are busy or no longer in service. It took a month to get a repair tech to come out and look over our sofa come to find out the repair tech Derek Rodgers lied in his report about our sofa. They said it would take 7-10 business day for someone to contact us regarding our sofa. We waited a month to try back then we where told that there was nothing wrong with our sofa and no further action was going to be taken.

That's when I decide to send them pictures of my sofa. After they received the pictures they sent out another repair tech witch happened to be the same tech that came out the time before Derek Rodgers.

He couldn't really do anything to our sofa, but look it over again because the damage was the cushion. He did however remove his pair of sunglasses out from the under part of our sofa form the last visit he left them behind. He said that it would take 7-10 business days from that second visit to have someone contact us. After the 10 business days with out any word from them I decide to call in I spoke to Julio Torez he was very helpful, but what he told me was different form what Mairl Gair told me she said that before I could get the sofa replaced I would have to get it fixed first so she sent out a different repair tech his name was Clark Mathews wasn't very helpful though he look over the sofa then left. So that's the third time I had a repair tech come in to my home, but wait I'm not done, I get a call saying that another repair man is coming out to blind stitch my sofa cushion. Its has been a total of five months of back and forth with this company and I'm tired of it. We still have to wait for the cushion to come in and then we have to call the repair tech to come out and put it on that's to long for me and my family to have to wait We didn't even get to enjoy our sofa for that long and in our eyes its not new anymore.

All I can tell you is fight for what you want and don’t give up. My Family and I live in AZ and we finally got our money back for our sofa sectional it took a year with this company, but it can be done go to the Better Business Bureau, Take pictures, take down names dates, but don’t let them tell you they cant do something for you my husband and I received so many letters stating that its our fault and they wouldn’t do anything for us, but I keep fighting and I won. If you do get a replacement make sure you inspect it before you sign off on it and if there is anything wrong with it you can turn it down.

Good Luck

warranty issue and terrible cust svc!

Do NOT Buy anything from this Company! Jennifer Convertibles has the WORST customer service I have ever...

don't honor price quotes / hard sell

Despite seeing the complaints all over the internet about this chain, I was lured into trying to buy a sofa there.

Their "headline" prices are attractive, as are some of their designs. I found a quote in their website and went to the store with it- which most be the only retailer in the world where you can't order their products- except for a single set of bed sheets... The scam is that they try to hard sell you all ostrts of extras on the backend- insurance, replacement guarantee etc. If you don't bite, they call "the manager" who then informs them that the website price is no longer valid. They also have varying estimates on delivery costs depending on the day of the week you ask them. I lived in eastern Europe and the whole operation stinks of some second rate Balkan scam artist. And all this prior to even the purchase- let alone the "delivery" -if it ever comes, and the poor quality of the product. Here's the rule: If it's too good to be, it probably is. Store: 2300 Broadway, Upper West Side, New York City. Conclusion: STAY AWAY. YOU WILL REGRET EVER DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS CHAIN!!!

• Ka
    KatieBrew Jul 16, 2009

Have you ever worked in retail? Obviously not! Duh... all the "extras" are where the margin is for the company! The employees are just trying to make their commission. You obviously did a single semester of college in Balkans. Did you even manage to graduate?

worst retailer!

I hate this store and the people who work for it. It's been 3 months now and I still don't have my sofa. I go to a store, I pay money, I expect a sofa. But no, once they have your money, you're at their mercy. Delivery is only during the week and on Saturdays. They say they give you a 5 hour window, but you can't pick morning of afternoon delivery. It's all to their convenience and no consideration of yours. The sales lady told me that furniture disassembly was free, so I scheduled a furniture disassembly service. Add another 4 weeks to the wait. 3 days before delivery, I get a sketchy call asking for my credit card number, even though everything's been paid in full. The night before, the store manager informs me that they needed to charge my card for the disassembly service...which costs $200. Conveniently, no mention of this was made until right before delivery. You'd think they would've told me when I first considered and booked the service. Also sketchy is that when they first called, they only asked for a credit card number without saying why. ie., they were ready to just add the charge on, except the card had already expired. Anyone reading this, don't go to Jennifer Convertibles. Go to Ikea, where delivery is at most a 2 week wait, not 12, and there are no scam charges like the furniture protection charge, or disassembly charge. Save yourself 6 times the wait and 100 times the aggravation. Seriously, walking into this store was one of the worst decisions of my life and now I can't return the [censored]ing thing and I don't have a couch to sit on. Hate. Hate. Hate!

• Lo
    Lou Cicardo May 20, 2008

I have been waiting since March for Jennifer Convertible to repair a Sofa Bed which has been under warranty. Finally when we thought that the matter was resolved, the technician came today and told us that the entire mechanism needs to be changed. The "technician" was here 1 month ago and said that he could repair the sofa without a problem. We waited for a month for the material needed for the repair to arrive. We found out that his report was not accurate and now we must start from square one. This company is loathsome. They are the WORST!

anthony mcintyre Aug 07, 2009

FURNITURE DAMAGE, SAYING ITS CAUSE BY SHIPPING

• Lo
    Lo-Belle 08 Aug 18, 2009

I waited 10 weeks for a sofa, and when they finally brought it - it was the wrong color! This is the worst experience I have EVER had in regards to furniture shopping. Please, do yourself a favor and DON'T GIVE THEM BUSINESS!

• Db
    D. BURTON Jun 18, 2010

I HATE THIS COMPANY. I PURCHASED A 3 PIECE SOFA SET, I INITIALLY HAD TO WAIT FROM FEB. WHEN I PURCHASED IT, UNTIL APRIL FOR IT TO BE DELIVERED. THE DELIVERY GUY CALLED ME THE NIGHT BEFORE AND TOLD ME THEY WOULD BE AT MY HOUSE B/T 10AM AND 3PM... I TOOK THE DAY OFF FROM WORK, N THEY DIDNT SHOW UP UNTIL 8:30PM, WHICH MADE IT USELESS FOR ME TO TAKE THE DAMN DAY OFF FROM WORK. THEN AFTER THEY DESTROY MY HOUSE PUTTING THE [censor] TOGETHER, NO SOONER THAN 10 MONTHS LATER THE DAMN MAIN SOFA RIPPED FROM THE BACK, SO NOW, MY SEATS ARE NOT ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF MY SOFA, N U CAN PUT UR HAND RIGHT THROUGH IT N TOUCH THE FLOOR. I CALLED IN A CLAIM AND IT TOOK THEM A MONTH TO COME OUT AND INSPECT IT, THEN THEY TELL ME THAT IT NEEDS A PART, AND THAT THE PART MUST BE ORDERED AND THAT IT TAKES ANOTHER 6 WEEKS TO COME. THAT WAS JANUARY 2017, IT IS NOW JUNE 2017 AND THE [censor]ING PART STILL HAS NOT COME IN, N NO ONE EVEN GIVES U A [censor]ING COURTESY CALL TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT THE [censor] IS GOING ON. MEANWHILE, I CANT STOP PPL FROM SITTING ON IT, SO THE [censor]ING SOFA IS WORST NOW, THEN WHEN I ORIGINALLY CALLED THEM. THIS IS THE WORST FURNITURE COMPANY IN THE WORLD, DO URSELF A FAVOR, N DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!

• Sw
    Switkko Jul 24, 2010

Although we have had the leather couch for only 18 months Jennifer Convertibles changed their lifetime frame warranty in 2017 to one year so the flattened cushion, the sagging frame is not covered by their conveniently changed warranty. This allows them to continue to produce Very expensive "JUNK FURNITURE".

Their lifetine upholstery SHIELD Leather protection plan for $99.99 contains many exclusions which seem to be the problems that happen right away such as a defective dye job on the leather which is now turning orange and is not covered.

Matheos New York Dec 07, 2010

Unfortunately I bought from Jennifer Convertibles, and I completely regret it due to the extremely poor quality. But my biggest complaint is in regards to their customer service. I have their $200 lifetime so-called 'guarantee' and everyday I call, waiting approximately 45 minutes to an hour, finally getting a representative, only to have them give me another # to call. Then calling their one repairman service, they inform me they ONLY come on Saturdays, and they cannot come for 2 months. After which the damage gets worse. After they reviewed the holes that are supposed to be covered in the insurance guarantee, they reject the claim, saying it's due to long term wear and tear, even though I've only had the furniture for only 3 years. I will most likely be seeking legal action now.

Sandra Pacheco Nov 20, 2012

Please stay away from all Jennifer Convertibles!!!

I bout a 3 piece sofa and paid for the life time warranty.
    A small puncture was made….called the warranty place and the took
    Six months to get it fix. The tech rips the new leather when he was
    Installing it. Tech tried to patch it up with some rubber glue. Tech said he will report it.
    He did not even let me write nothing on the work order. He said he does not give copies
    Of the work order. The warranty office was closed. He came on a Sunday. When I called about the rip that the tech made…the office said he never report any rip and the only thing he reported was the job was complete…that [email protected]#$%^&...!!!
    This Jennifer convertible is the worst!! Warranty are very unprofessional, rude and don’t
    Care about no one but just sales…I hope this Jennifer convertible runs out of business!!
    Now I have to send pictures of the rip that the tech made…from what it looks like, it will
    Take one year to get this fix, , ,

delivery problems

Did not receive a "courtesy call" before 5pm the day before - as they told me when I purchased the sofa. I...

the worst stores i've ever dealt with!

I ordered our couch on february 28, 2007 with a 12-14 week delivery. I had been looking for a couch for a month and the wait was extremely long, but for the price and features, after much discussion and being ensured by the salesperson that it was never that long, I decided it was worth the wait.

It is now 16 weeks past the order date and there is still no delivery scheduled. When you try to call; it is busy 90% of the time and then they put you on hold for 20-30 minutes to 'check the status.' they said they can refund me the deposit, but there is still not promised date that they will have it. They said they are having problems with china and it's supposedly being delayed in between there and there warehouse in virginia.

When I have the energy, I am going to go back to the store and get the refund. It's just a shame that we have not been able to use our finished basement for six months due to this.in addition, the store knows that I am going through treatment (radiation and chemotherapy) for cancer and I need the sleeper for my caregivers.

This is one of the worst stores i've ever dealt with.

Madelyn UniondaleNy Nov 20, 2007

This company is crooked, don't wait long for your refund. Take time to request it immediately. Their lifetime warranty is also a scam, they will never honor any customer's warranty. Read it carefully, it has loop holes. One section states it will cover tears, rips, scratches if it was "accidental" the other portion states if it was "intentionally done by the consumer" they will not cover anything. Who "intentionally" scratches their leather couch after spending $2,000-$3,000 on a leather sectional couch? Their warranty is purely subjective and based on their fake technician's opinion. Who will by the way tell you that for a small fee of $200-$300.00 he will do it for you on the side.
    Don't waste time contacting the Better Business Bureau in your state. I sent a grievance letter, to the New York State Attorney General's office, Consumer Frauds department. They contacted the Vice-President @ Jennifer Convertibles headquarters and he agreed to reimburse me back for my so called "LifeTime Warranty". He did not honor his agreement (I waited one full month for a reimbursement check). Until I sent a second stronger letter to the Attorney General's office. I finally received a check last week from them for $300.00 to pay me off for my warranty. What legitimate business pays back consumers for warranties? Most honest businesses honor their warranties. CHECK THE NEW YORK STATE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU'S WEB-SITE, JENNIFER CONVERTIBLES WAS FINED OVER $200,000 A FEW YEARS AGO BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE. I wish I checked the multiple complaint web-sites before purchasing my leather sectional from them. Their showrooms are fronts for crooked unprofessional scoundrels. COMPLAIN TO YOUR STATE'S ATTORNEY GENERAL CONSUMER FRAUD DEPARTMENT. HOPEFULLY WITH ENOUGH COMPLAINTS FROM CONSUMERS, THIS OUTFIT WILL EVENTUALLY BE SHUT DOWN! SOMEONE NEEDS TO ALERT THE PRESS ABOUT THIS DISGUSTING COMPANY, PEOPLE ARE UNAWARE OF HOW THESE PEOPLE SCAM CONSUMERS.

• Pe
    Peggy Feb 24, 2008

I'm having the same problem. I'm taking them to small claims court. More of you should do the same.

Max Mar 21, 2008

Me too. My couch was delivered damaged, and it has been nearly five months without any resolution. I filed a small claim today against the company.

no quality assurance inspection on imported goods

I paid cash for a leather sofa on may 5th, 2006 in the amount of $1,356.27 and set-up delivery for may 30, 2006. On the day of delivery the delivery men were obviously in a rush and jilted my door on the way in with my sofa, rendering my top lock useless. The sofa itself was ripped at the reclining section with the steel mechanism sticking out. This caused the back of the sofa to be alighned incorrectly by approx 5 inches. I called the showroom and was assured a new sofa by mary the showroom manager. Delivery was set-up for june 21st. I waited in on june 21st only to find our that the truck with my sofa had been impounded for unpaid tickets. I then had to take a 3rd day off work on june 28th. I called the showroom the day before to make sure that my sofa would be delivered before 5pm as my building has restrictions. I waited in all day until 5pm and the truck was a no show. I called the district manager, michael gale the same day (june 28th). He only just got back to me today, july 10th. I have been told that I can wait in 5 hours again or wait 14 days for a refund, even though I paid cash! I cannot take a 4th day off work nor can I sit on a floor for 2 weeks to wait on my refund to invest the time to look again for another sofa.

Jennifer Convertible has no quality assurance inspection on imported goods which means the merchandise is put on a boat from japan or wherever and shipped to new jersey without ever being opened and checked! The delivery company is a separate entitiy from Jennifer Convertible so nobody can be held accountable for the common delivery issues!

Who is in charge at Jennifer Convertible? Where is the company structure!

Why does it not say in the worry free guarantee that you may have to take 4 days off work for nothing and make around 20 phone calls, all to no avail?

Company details:

JENNIFER CONVERTIBLE
1274 SECOND AVENUE
NY, NY 10021

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices