Iberia AirlinesLost Luggage

A

On 31 August celebrating our honeymoon in Europe our luggage was checked in at the Iberia counter at Athens airport. Bound for Malaga, Spain we were ensured by Iberia staff that our luggage would be sent directly through to Malaga, despite having to change planes at Madrid Airport.

We arrived in Malaga, Spain having travelled the whole day and night from Greece to find that our luggage had not arrived. The baggage carrosel was a joke - they kept putting 10 bags out at a time and then stoping the conveyer belt and closing the shutters. it was a complete disaster leaving passengers stranded, tired and not knowing whether they were going to receive their luggage that evening (it was 11 pm at night). Our luggage did not arrive on the flight we were on so we immediately we went to the lost baggage claim area. The staff were very blase about the fact that our luggage had disappeared. After explaining to them that we had a wedding to go to in a day's time and that since this was the reason we had decided to come to Spain in the first place we were not in the slightest bit happy..

My husband and I had pre-wedding functions to attend, hence no make up or toiletries and were told that we had to buy some toiletries etc and would be re-imbursed by our travel insurance company later. This did not help our situation as we had come for our honeymoon after the wedding costs and travelling through Europe at our own cost you can imagine what little money we had left. the Iberia representative did not offer us anything but were told to phone the airline the following day to find out whether our luggage had been located.

I was appalled by the Iberia customer service. After my husband lodging the paperwork at the counter, I was not happy as I think they should have offered us something. It was a disgrace so I decided to speak to the Iberia General Manager myself (who was conveniently not there at the time). Nobody seemed to care and the whole experience of not having luggage for 37 hours was really stressful as I had all of my clothing for the wedding in my luggage as well as shoes, make up, toiletries etc and a wedding gift. It was as though they did not care and we had to call the airline at our expense. Which we are claiming compensation for.

Not only did it cause my husband and I distress (0n our honeymoon) but wasted my families quality holiday time in Marbella who were all in Marbella for my brother's wedding.

I have lodged a formal complaint with Iberia Airlines but of course have not yet received any response from the airline 2 months later. We have also still not received an apology from the airline. I felt the staff were unhelpful and didn't seem to care. The whole system was a joke which caused us much distress on our honeymoon. We will never fly this airline again.

• Ia
    IaK89 Sep 14, 2009

They lost my luggage in both directions - Still missing luggagr DAYS after flight - 0 -cooperation from Iberia - NO U.S. number to complain to -

People you get in Spain speak broken English.

• Ju
    Julio Gonzalez. Oct 29, 2008

Sunday 10/19/08 Flight from Istanbul Turkey to Madrid, one my luggage was lost. I have Ticket number BOS- IB6161 with me and do not know the other number. Airlines gave me a Ref. # BOSIB10944 Can someone help me out please. Contact me at my homestay [protected]