Menu
S
Author of the complaint
12:53 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have both worked for H&R Block and used their software for over 10 years. I had always recommend both their offices and their software, even after last year, when we discovered there was a software glitch that was miscalculating self employment taxes, which changed my sister's refund from $5900 to $3800 after the IRS re-calculated the H&R Block software error. I kept my faith in H&R Block until this year when the same mistake from last year happened again.

I did both my sister's and my return by hand while also completing tax prep with H&R Block software to make sure that last years problem did not happen again. Well it did and I immediately contacted H&R Block to inform them it was still a problem. Unaware that another of my sisters had already filed her return using H&R Block software to end up paying Efiling fees for an 8 to 15 day return, which ended up taking 6 weeks, with no refund of her Efiling fees and a return of $2900 verses $3509 that H&R Block software had stated she would receive.

H&R Block agreed they had a program error that they were releasing an update on Feb 11, 2010 to correct this glitch. I waited to an additional 3 weeks to file both mine and my other sister's return for the update to be released and installed before I completed our returns. Even after this update, my sister's return stated she would get $6800 back, but after Efiling and paying the Efiling fees, she did not get her return in 8 to 15 days, she got her return in a month, and the return was $4400 with the explanation that there was calculation error.

This has created many issues because H&R Block software advertises they guarantee accurate returns, but when you call them on this guarantee, their answer is to refund you the money you paid for their program. Oh and lets not forget their useless apologies.

More H&R Block / HRB Digital complaints & reviews

5 comments
B
Dec 21, 2021 3:34 pm

H&R block software messed up my taxes this year and I am still waiting for a refund 10 months later because it is under review. The software will scan the w2 and fill in the info on the return. The problem is that on both the online software and the downloaded version it puts the SS withholding into the fed withholding box on the return.

C
Feb 21, 2019 5:25 pm

I found a glitch on the MN return. Won't calculate the Social Security deduction for full time residence. Tried to fill a way to let them know, but no way to send an email. I ended up going to another tax filer.

K
May 22, 2010 6:35 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Ha! Ha! I thought I was the only dull color in the box.. You know the one you get in the mail early January every year from H & R Block ? It doesn't have all the updates in the tax laws so, that's why I waited till March 18th to file.. That one didn't have the glitch out of it and I played a hard game trying to get my money for the services that they screwed me up on

G
Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Had same issue... it glitched after I printed the returns. I found the issue is that is originally filled out the Short schedule SE and then for some reason after I printed, it went to Long Schedule and didn't transfer some of the data to that section!?!
Frustrating to say the least.

T
Mar 21, 2010 6:26 pm

And now you see the problem with tax software. If the preparer doesn't understand the results,
they have no idea if the refund is correct. This is why I always stress the importance
of understanding where each and every number on the return comes from and how it was
calculated. Last year Turbo Tax had problems, this year it's H&R Block. Next Year? Seems like a crap shoot to me.

You indicated you have worked for H&R Block. Now imagine someone who doesn't have the tax knowledge you have, yet believes that since they can check e-mail and surf the net, they must be qualified to do their own tax return. I saw a self-prepared return a couple days ago that had entries on almost every adjustment line and expense line. This person figured the more entries the better.
Of course the IRS audited and he has an $11, 000 tax levy headed his way. I offered to do the
2009 return, payment due on completion of course!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

525 complaints