Hot Topicbad service

I just recieved an order from HotTopic.com. My daughter had her earrings no more than 3 hours when they broke. I contacted HT and was told repeatedly that I couldn't return them for an exchange because she wore them. I could see if I was trying to return it because she didn't like them. But they were BROKEN. She just wants a new pair.

• Po
    po'd off Feb 24, 2009

I agree. Most of the customer service representatives don't listen to what you are saying or what the problem is. They just keep saying the same, robotic things over and over, and in the end, I still got no satisfaction. I am having an ongoing problem with an order/return/exchange now for the last month. What a joke.

• Ks
    ksilvert May 08, 2009

If you take it to the store, they will exchange it for you without hassle.

• Ks
    ksilvert May 08, 2009

Not to mention, yours is the only complaint on here about Hot Topic. With a company as big as they are, I would say that's a good sign.

• Re
    realist May 08, 2009

just take them back to the store and they will exchange them I am sure

• At
    atkroger Jun 23, 2009

I work for the company. If the item is damaged, they will gladly exchange it for the same item or give you a store credit. make sure you take in your receipt though. If no receipt, they have to give you the merch cred. for the current selling price.

This sounds like a manufactures defect, not a damage by the customer not paying attention and getting upset. =) Take it to the store. We all take the punch of internet returns everyday. =)

• Su
    SuperVepr Jun 23, 2009

Damn, I didn't even know that HT was still in business. Emo kids unite!

• Ho
    Hot Topic Sucks! Jul 06, 2009

Bann Hot Topics!

Bad Service all around. They screwed me out of $100. I used gift cards to purchase items a while back the balance was used so they took my cards. Later I returned the items and they printed out a receipt with a credit balance and didn’t give me a new card, which I thought was odd. I try to be nice and not question someone about their job, but I should just assume people are stupid and tell them the right way to do everything. I kept the receipt thinking it was as good as having the gift card. I was WRONG! What a scam! Instead of trying to please their customer they blamed me for something they did. Poor customer service! I’ll never shop there again and I will make sure others follow.

• De
    debbiec3 Aug 01, 2009

Where do I begin with Hot Topic?! My son and friends went into a Hot Topic while being supervised by my Husband. My son has his own debit card and has never been in any form of trouble before. He had a package of buttons in his hand as well as clothing, he had decided against the buttons and set them down. Spent over $100 on the clothing items. The "manager" detained him in the store accusing him of stealing the buttons. He clearly stated that he had set them down and was able to show her where though she refused to let him go. My Husband after hearing the commotion walked over to see what the trouble was (Husband is in law enforcement) and she blatantly called my Son a thief. My Son told my Husband where the buttons were, he walked over, picked them up and said Excuse me here they are. She then refused to apologize as my Husband told her that an apology was in order as he was extremely embarrassed in front of many customers. She then told the customers (some of which put their items back) that my Husband had "quite an attitude." When I called Hot Topic to discuss this I was informed that this happened because of my son's pink polo, making him a target for the employee's. If you would not like judgment place then do not place judgment. One's behavior is indeed what makes one the target and the behavior of the employee's of this store has spoken in volumes.

• Wa
    wanttoletyouknow34 Oct 13, 2009

i agree the same things have happened to me and might i ad trying to charge up seen amounts for crap and false advertising to customers many of there items are items that are defective and shotty craftsmenship like there horbbile bras that stab you or there cheap material they use and might i ad they act like that in every hot topic store rude to there customers and they not only done this to me they've done this to many many people i for will never shop there ever again in my life there are so many other stores that don't do the stuff hot topic dose and you right they singel out any kid that dose not look like them so in other words there rasist

• He
    hey(: Nov 05, 2009

i am using this info for my project, what a helpfull site :D

• Tw
    twinnieekeens Sep 18, 2010

I am DISGUSTED with Hottopic's customer service! Where do I begin?

*Please note: I am an international buyer, so going into the store and asking for a refund is completely out of the question for me.

(I have numbered my complaints for the reader's convenience.)

1. I ordered a package that had shoes. Hottopic sent me an email three days after the item was shipped to inform me they had sold out the shoes. Which is fine, I understand the concept that selling out = no product for me, however, they still charged me 70 odd dollars for shipping instead of the flat rate of 30. I am to this day, still waiting on a refund.

2. The very same order, I ordered a feathered shrug. Which in my email informed me that it was paid for and coming my way. When I recieved the order, I recieved two of the same belt, but in two different sizes. I emailed hottopic asking them to rectify this, but never got a reply!

3. To add insult to injury, another package turned up a week after the other package, addressed to me. I opened it, and was surprised to find $100 worth of small men's shirts. I looked at the information slip on the inside and discovered the billing address to some guy in Japan; obviously meant for him, but was sent to me by mistake. I contacted Hottopic, (who, for never getting back to me on my previous issues, got back to me SURPRISINGLY fast) asked me to send the package back to them AT MY OWN EXPENSE and told me I would be reimbursed UPON the package returning to them. So, in reality, there is no guarantee that I will be reimbursed, and; looking at their prior course of dealings, will take a long time and in the meantime, I'm out 100 odd dollars (40 from 1., 20 from 2 and 60 to send the package back.) . The fact of the matter is, why should I have to put 40 of my own hard-earned dollars to rectify THEIR mistake?
    4. When I emailed them, asking them to reimburse me FIRST, they replied with the same, robotic cut-and-paste answers in the last emails, stating 'send it back to this address', completely ignoring everything I said in the previous email! No, 'thank you for being a decent person and alerting us about our [censored]-up!' If I'd have known how much I was going to be screwed around, I would have just kept the damn shirts and said nothing at all!Fortunately (or unfortunately for me?), every moral fibre in my body would not allow me to do that.
    In summing, I am not happy with hottopic's appauling customer service and will be most likely referring this matter to the appropriate authorities.

• Ph
    philip017 Oct 29, 2010

Hottopic online is HORRIBLE.
    I ordered a few items, and was charged for everything right away.
    I then saw after a few days that one item was marked "THANK YOU FROM HOTTOPIC"
    I then kept asking, calling and emailing them asking why it said that.
    I was then told that an item I bought were sold out and were not sent.

I kept tracking my package everyday on the fedex website.
    After the day it was expected to arrive said that it was delivered, I contacted Fedex, went to a local fedex shipping facility, and notified hottopic.
    After what is now 4 weeks after it was said it was delivered, I am left with Fedex saying it was shipped to the wrong address, after speaking to the driver. The address it was claimed it was delivered to was next door to my house.
    It is impossible that the fedex truck was ever on my street.
    I asked all my neighbors and none of them had seen the fedex truck deliver
    anything.
    After contacting fedex, they say it is not their problem and that I need to handle it with hottopic. Hottopic keeps sending me forms to fill out. Which I did, and also sent back.
    I am still just waiting for a refund, and hottpic keeps avoiding me and even hanging up on me when I'm on the phone with them.
    I just want a refund, since the items I bought are now not available.

I will NEVER purchase anything from hottopic, it has been the worst possible online purchase I have ever made.
    And that is coming from someone who lives in the States, I could not imagine how hard it is for international shoppers.

• Cu
    cureforftd Nov 27, 2010

11/26/10 Spent two hours shopping on their website for Christmas gifts for my girls. Could not check out. Kept getting "Hot Topic Server Error"...tried through paypal and through Hot Topic's checkout...same error...tried calling customer service. As of right now I have been on hold for one hour. Ridiculous.

SSanchez Nov 28, 2010

Hot Topic's body jewelry are very low quality. I've purchased several labrets, studs, and barbells, and they were all scratched. All of them. Their colored steel body jewelry all fade out after just a few short months.

SSanchez Nov 28, 2010

Hot Topics body jewelry are very low quality. Ive purchased several barbells, studs, and plugs. All of their stainless steel body jewelry usually come scratched up or the ball is jammed. Their colored stainless steel body jewelry all faded out after just a few short months.

SSanchez Nov 28, 2010

Yes, I always go local and inspect before buying now. Last time I purchase online body jewelry.

katelynn cramer Dec 09, 2010

i agree with all the complaints and im sick of the fact that they dont carry plus size clothing my car wont make it to torridi mean come they need to wake up

kasy000 Dec 27, 2010

i ordered some make up, shoes and shorts, 1 day later i got an email saying that they were sold out of the shorts and shoes wtf why do they put them on their website if they dont have, to make matters worse they charged me for the items they never sent me, will never shop online ever again they screwed me over and im so mad

• Gh
    Ghostmandan Dec 27, 2010

Ugh. What can I say? My wife ordered a T shirt from them through amazon. In return, HT decided to leave out a key word in my address, the full street name. Granted I have one of those abbreviated street names named after a mountain. But they put MT. Cr. ... MT. Cr.?...Really? What mountains do you know that are named MOUNTAIN! Granted, they're out sourced and when you call customer service you're probably calling Indonesia, but I'm sure that they don't have any mountains named mountain. Needless to say, but I will anyway, they blamed it on her. They said "we only printing out the address from the account screen." ... really?... now I know they are lying to me. My wife's account has the full shipping address... That's when I flew off my rocker to them. I used a lot of choice words that I will not repeat here. I know that it doesn't help my situation, but it made me feel, oh so much better. I mean, come on, do they really think that my wife is so stupid that she doesn't know her own address? If that wasn't his thought, it was sure what he said. I stopped shopping at Hot Topic long after the age of 16 when I realized that thier merch was crap and too expensive. haha, how does that work? Crappy made tee shirts for $20.00 a pop? But my wife found one on amazan that she knew I wanted, so she bought it for Christmas. She now vows to never do it again. One thing...I spoke to another CS rep today, she was much more pleasant and helpful, but I asked what they planned on doing about this whole mix up. She said if the post office doesn't find it in two days, they'll give me a full refund. To be honest, I'd much rather have the shirt, you have my correct address now, just send it again. You're losing money either way.

john1223 May 26, 2011

Don't ever buy the Morbid Metals body jewelry from Hot Topic. They all suck, fall apart, break easily, and I've bought a screw in that was jammed closed. I paid $12 for that POS that went straight to the trash. SCREW HOT TOPIC FOR SELLING US THAT CRAP.

• Sn
    snugglemouse Jul 25, 2011

Wow where do I start, ordered a package overnight delivery before 11 am their time it did not go out mind you this was on a friday though the site stated if the order was placed before their time 11 am they would send the item out on that day, they failed to do this. I figured no big deal they would send the item out on Monday, there was actually two items that are limited editions. They took my money and did not send the items. Well its now sunday and I receive an email that they messed the order up and since i paid with paypal it will be 2 days before they refund the money but I must contact them first in order to have the money reversed. After being on hold for 15 minutes the first time and listening to the same song over and over and the same stupid computer recorded voice I get some woman who asked if she could help me I say sure I need my order fixed she said excuse me I said again I need my order fixed that witch hung up on me. So I call back and get to hold another 10 minutes great like my time is not important. Well I get a man who cannot help me just wants to refund my money and I ask to speak to a supervisor well I get told ones not there, I call him on that and eventually get told there is only one there so I told him to go grab them by the hair and get them on the phone, so I am once again on hold he comes back to say they are busy and says they will call me back, so like I told him I do not believe you and i will continue to talk to you until they come on the line, I kept going over and over about the fraud this company has now committed and talking to him about the weather etc in order to keep him on the line another 30 minutes later the supervisor finally got on the line to let me know the items only had a couple left and he would try to hold them for me until I got my money back to order the items but that he had no power to fix the order. So as a first time ordering from hottopic.com I wish I hadnt. I will let everyone I know to avoid Hottopic you can buy the same items elsewhere maybe pay a little more but why should I give my business to a company that cannot complete a simple order. REALLY HOT TOPIC YOU CANT SHIP 2 ITEMS WITHOUT MESSING IT UP MAYBE YOU SHOULD CLOSE YOUR DOORS FOR GOOD LETS ALL HOPE THEY DO! sry guys shouldnt holler but as you can tell im still a bit pissed off.

• Ty
    Ty092 Sep 27, 2011

I recently just went to HOT TOPIC at maplewood mall

• Ty
    Ty092 Sep 27, 2011

I recently went to HOT TOPICS and had went with my sister and was looking at there jewleries and makeup until I noticed the workers were constantly following us around the wholestore! Everywhere we went she was next to us, til we asked if she had saw a little girl with a older lady and she gave us a really bad attitude and was constantly peeking over to see my sisters bag.. I finally knew that they thought we were stealing and everything I touched she quickly went to it! And out of everybody in the store we ASIAN girls were the ones who were being followed! Seriously that was the first time I've ever been followed around at a store and was ever treated like that and I've worked at a retail store and knows who steals and who is there to shop around! I will never ever go there again!!! And I live in MN, and this is the hot topics at maplewood mall!!

• Le
    Leslie2222 Mar 19, 2012

Ordered online a month ago and have not received my order! Charged me $14.00 for standard shipping(their website says $4.99 shipping hmmm) and now FedEx has apparently delivered it to the wrong address after waiting for three weeks! I ordered from another online clothing company the same day that offered free shipping and received my order in 3 days. This has been a nightmare and my kids can get their clothes from a more reputable company.We live in a rural area where Super Walmart has wiped out all other local businesses and really no good clothing companies here. Some teen that lives down the road is showing off their new clothes at school that they got for free...I am a single mom and this is a real disappointment :( Hot Topic is not a good choice online.

• Ea
    EasyGoingShopper Dec 17, 2012

My wife and I ordered a pair of shirts and a Hot Topic gift card for my daughter. We ordered on December 3rd, thinking that early Christmas shoppers, like us, would avoid the heavy traffic. I received the shirts and no gift card. So, seven days before Christmas and we haven't received the card. We called customer service and they gave us the run-a -round saying that gift cards go through a different process and take up to three weeks. It makes no sense when they are promising gift card shipments in three days on their website. The worst part is that I live in California, and according to them, the cards ship from California. Someone dropped the ball and they can't take responsibility. What a pathetic company! Last time we will shop at Hot Topic. Apparently, they are going to send one using overnight shipping.

• Ho
    Hot Topic rules! Dec 24, 2012

i have no idea what you guys are talking abut Hot Topic like that because HOT TOPIC IS AMZING!!! and you guys of coarse its pair of earrings but cmon there is a lot of good stuff so shut the [censored] up

• Ih
    i hate hot topic Dec 24, 2012

Hot Topic customer service is the worst, Back in 90's they were cool because young people worked there they were into music and arts treated people like their own, they were friendly and polite now a days they hire anyone especially 2 locations in pembroke pines and aventura mall in fl looks and act like getto thugs.I tried to exchange a shirt with my receipt they were questioning me like i stole the shirt.After .For an hour i was being treated like dirt i walked out tears in my eyes and swore never to go back.They need to hire kids who are customer friendly not unhappy angry MOB!!I used to sepnd over $500.00 xmas timeat HT now i go on line shop from other stores.Boykot this corporate mafia!

• Le
    lexie blinds dolen Jan 28, 2013

well right now I'm having problems with hot topic free cheep membership ( no wonder it's free ) well here's the story
    1.well I've been having problems for the past few months with logging in my hot topic member account online . the last time i went into the store they said to fully resture online when i did that it said this email or info is already in use and i was like omfg so i tired the forgot my password thing sense it was already in use and when i got my pass word ( i always write my passwords down so i get them right but i did this for the past few months so 5-10 passwords emails and still nothing and i send then yesterday email and they responded like saying that robotic excuse and still i have trouble logging in
    2. well a small rare issue for me at least .because i don't hardly buy jeans from there when i got these jeans fro my birthday and wore then the next day the button broke on then the jeans fit but the cheep button broke and no wonder the pants were on sale
    3. my biggest problem today is when i order the progress was plan and simple and on step 3 of shipping and crap . we clicked on ship order and we tried this 3or4 times and nothing happended no thanks for ordering nothing and on the bottom it said if clicked this more than one time then it will charge you . in other words it charged me 3-4 times on pay pal and i cant get into my pay pal for another few days so i can't check to see if they charged me extra for 2 things . and a warning for all of you do not order online or get there so called membership form the store .

• Po
    PO'DShopper May 14, 2013

I was in Hot Topic yesterday to take a look at a few things. NEVER did I dream that EVERY SINGLE employee would CONSTANTLY ask me OVER AND OVER again if I needed any help after having already told them THAT I DID NOT require any help whatsoever and was just browsing. Maybe if they'd TURN DOWN THEIR MUSIC, they'd been able to hear my answer and allow me to shop in peace. Thanks to them, what had always been a pleasant shopping trip became an experience I COULDN'T WAIT to escape from. Honestly, managers HAVE TO LEARN that NOT ALL CUSTOMERS come to their stores to be harassed by their ridiculously aggressive tactics. It's a good thing I hardly go there anymore.

Katelyn68 May 15, 2013

that is annoying, but might be better then bein g ignored

• B6
    b65 Aug 02, 2013

Hot Topic online - do not trust their delivery dates. They keep changing them. Their customer service was terrible when I called. It took forever to speak with a supervisor only for him to tell me they could do nothing to help me. No offer of any kind for my trouble. Stay far away from this company!!!

• Li
    LianaBanana Sep 18, 2013

i ordered 100$ items, chose the shipping adress for US, it even says so in my track your order status on their website, and now in their email with the tracking number says that it has been shipped to my international billing adress ... and ofc i cant contact them or the usps since it's not in their business hours, i sure hope they can fix it, cause i'm not paying for it to be delivered here ...

• Al
    Alex Hardesty Dec 02, 2013

I ordered a t-shirt from Hot Topic Friday afternoon. It's Monday and I still haven't gotten it. On the website it said it ships 1-2 days. Now I see that that's a lie.

• Cl
    Claire43 Dec 11, 2013

Hot topic where do I start. I am an international customer and 2 weeks ago they took £100 from my account for an order, an order they still have not dispatched. I shall be taking this further and also try to get my money back from the bank as this is fraud. They sent me an email to ring them but the number said it was for sale!! I have tried to contact them to no avail and wish I had never clapped eyes on their website.

• Sm
    smilecry Dec 16, 2014

hot topic is the worst on line service ever known, please do not every order from them because it may never arrive, plus their customer service are scammers, rude and bunch of illeterates. I ordered my items on line since november and have not recieved them till now. it is a horrible on line service, run away from them

• Rb
    RBReyes Dec 28, 2014

I ordered Christmas gifts for my kids on December 15. On the top of their web page it stated "Order now and receive your items before Christmas." I waited patiently and on December 24th I called both the store and the customer service number. The store associates were not able to track the items, but were polite. The representative that I spoke to through the 1-800 number was extremely rude. He eventually told me he was nearly sure it would be at the store later that day and if it wasn't call back. Well later the package was not there and when I called back customer service was closed. Called back on the 27th since my package still had not arrived. Spoke to a man named Angel, once again he was rude and unapologetic. He kept telling me that they were very busy and were behind. I told him that they shouldn't have guaranteed the arrival of my items before Christmas if they were not sure they had the ability to do it. I was expecting to get an apology and maybe a nice deal on my next purchase. When I asked to speak to his supervisor he told me that they would have to call me. He then put me on hold because he needed to get my information. I stayed on hold for 15 minutes then hung up and called again. This time a female answered and said she would have a supervisor call me within 2 hours. Guess what? I never received a call! To top it all off I just received an email from Hot Topic saying that my package was just now shipped. That's funny because the three customer service representatives assured me that it had already shipped! The people that work at the local Hot Topic have acted professionally and apologetic so I will continue to shop there in person, but I will NEVER shop online at Hot Topic again!

• Da
    Dash145 Sep 26, 2015

Yes I just purchased a 4-pack of bracelets and one of them broke not even an hour of wearing them! I am so concerned, but I am willing to drive back to Hot Topic sometime this week to see if they can exchange them. I love the product, but they broke so soon :( I hope they do not tell me that they can not exchange them!! Ah, I paid $11.17 for them!

Comments

• Tr
    tracy12345 Feb 02, 2016

I recently went to Hot Topic to return or have the price adjusted on an item i had recently bought that went on sale. when i went up to the counter and told the employee my reason for being there he BLEW UP, he was yelling at me saying THAT'S RETURN ABUSE! he kept raising his voice at me, and once the transaction was finished he literally threw my shirt into a bag. i am very disappointed next time i visit hot topic and will walk right out the door if he is working that same day.

• Aw
    Awesome dude Dec 24, 2017

All I gotta say is [censor] Hot Topic and thats real [censor] moe. mfs gon send me a flute [censor] blanket when I orderd a backpack off that [censor]. yall [censor] at hotpoic dumb asf and thats stamped

• Ib
    Ibrahim Blackwell Dec 24, 2017

Mane, [censor] hottopic and thats real [censor] moe. mfs gon send me a flute [censor] blanket after I ordered a whole [censor] backpack. How the hell yall [censor] mix up a bookbag wit a blanket. on the squad hottopic a bunch of flute [censor] dummies. Dead [censor] taking this [censor] right back and getting my mf bookbag. I stamped if they don't get my [censor] I'm going off on em moe. Yall not gon take my money and give me sume flute [censor] blanket. [censor] outta here wit that [censor] slim.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices