Home Depotkitchen installation

In fall 2005 I had purchased cabinets and granite counter from Home Depot. Additionally I, unfortunately, was sold the idea of having Home Depot do the installing. Since that time they still have not repaired the damages nor will they repay for my corrective measures. Twice the undermount sink has fallen out, causing additional damages. Their installer never put in clips to hold it up it seems. First time they re-installed i specifically asked about that issue and was told they don't need clips (not true). The cabinets were improperly installed and it took me almost 2 years of constant email, letters and phone calls to finally have them send out their installers to repair the damaged items. Apparently, once they get your $$$ they really couldn't care less about service, self respect or integrity.

• Gc
    GCO Jun 05, 2009

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of the overall difficulties and frustration I have experienced regarding The Home Depot.
    Unfortunately, many problems developed from poor quality cabinets to lack of important “in stock” selection to complete the project smoothly. For example, the Wadsworth Bay cabinets appeared to be produced of far more inferior quality than the original cabinets purchased, resulting in many exchanges creating delays and disruption of the installation process, as per photos attached.
    During the final stages of touch up paint in the kitchen, the contractor applied a small piece of “painters tape” on the surface of the cabinet door, once tape was removed the wood finish came off with the tape.
    I also selected Wadsworth Bay easy reach corner base and wall units, which were required for this project
    Therefore, after reading an article in the Wall Street Journal (attached) dated Tuesday, October 7 2008 and titled “Home Depot Learns to Go Local”, I have been unable to comprehend the following:
    If The Home Depot provides “in stock” easy reach corner base and wall units, then why do you not maintain “in stock” easy reach corner sink base units and corner counter tops?
    Clearly you maintain stock of multiple sizes of Wadsworth Bay cabinets, then why is a 9 and 12 inch cabinet not available and must be special ordered?
    I would also like to know why The Home Depot has “in stock” fillers for wall units and not base units?
    The “in stock selection” of acceptable fillers and toe kicks are non existent, because they are usually chipped and inferior quality of material does not come close to matching the quality of Wadsworth Bay cabinets, thereby easily breaking during installation .
    The reason I ask these questions is because, I was faced with many problems that constantly developed when using The Home Depot’s “in stock” cabinets, counter tops, toe kicks and fillers, thereby making it impossible to finish the job, because basic essential components (sizes) were not available.
    The sheer number of issues and poor quality products have caused much delay and cost, causing me to place orders for custom made counter tops and a base cabinets resulting from The Home Depot’s general lack of coordination for customer requirements when purchasing certain products.
    As a result of my disappointment, I took some time to research if The Home Depot’s competition carried the basic products necessary to complete my project that were unavailable at The Home Depot. I found that Lowes carried basic “in stock” 9 and 12 inch cabinets, easy reach corner sink base units and fillers for base cabinets.
    On May 29, 2008, I also attempted to take advantage of The Home Depot carpet and installation promotion . The price and quality of the product were excellent and very pleased with the overall quick delivery and installation. Despite questioning installers if the carpet located in doorway needed to be secured, they advised it was not necessary. Unfortunately, we have been experiencing problems with carpet coming apart at the entrance of the door and will continue to become worse over time.
    Finally, The Home Depot’s poor quality products and inability to grasp the necessary importance to supply a well balanced “in stock” line of kitchen products for home improvement has caused much frustration and financial set backs. Therefore, I respectfully request your cooperation by way of reasonable explanation regarding disappointment expressed in this letter, significant credit toward my account and repairs to the damaged carpet mentioned above.
    I am extremely disappointed with the continued disregard to my e-mail correspondence and previous certified letter submitted to the Home Depot’s Customer Care Department regarding my experience with poor carpet installation, inferior quality kitchen cabinets and counter tops that has resulted in much stress and financial loss.
    The Home Depot’s Customer Care Department for proof of credits to confirm if and how they were applied to my account. My request continues to be ignored and
    Although, I agreed to a $250.00 store gift card for the poor carpet installation, I did not agree to a credit of $331.30 for the kitchen cabinets and counter tops, which caused significant installation delays and financial loss, as per letter dated January 25, 2009
    I have included all supporting documents for your review and remain hopeful that someone can provide reasonable explanation as to where the credits were applied and why was my dispute was closed without my consent.
    Finally, I would also like to know if the Home Depot has a quality control system in place to inspect shipments from vendors in order to prevent inferior quality and defective merchandise from entering the stores.

• Se
    Sears Project Jul 05, 2011

Folks if you just use SEARS...this would never happen...the great price you get is not so great when the service and quality is lacking... I hear stories like this over and over again about issues with DO it YOURSELF store..and remember these companies are NOT INSTALLERS>>>you are supposed to do it your self... If you are just shopping price for a home improvement project..then your at taking a gamble with your money and your home... I would go to Vegas to gamble..and SEARS for a sure thing...

• Mp
    M Pagliaro Aug 05, 2011

Home Depot should be ashamed of their business practices. Not only do they oversell what they are doing, they know from the beginning that they will fall short of even a reasonable finished result. Their design was off 3" on both sides of the installation, the measurement, which was taken twice by a very compotent contractor was fine. After calling attention to the overall problem i visited the in store designer who couldn't figure it out and blamed the design program, the same program they use to design all kitchens. Later i was told, after all was said and done, that we need to change the style of the cabinet to correct the size problem, so that told me they knew about it before the installation. The store manager tried to pin the problem back on us by saying we initiled the design and were responsible for the results. Her only part of the process was to insure H.D. had no culpability. The regional manager did come out to look at our problem and decided that if we picked up half the cost H.D. could pick up the other half. That was magnanamus of them, however it would only correct half the size problems. Additional calls to the regional manager over 4 months have yielded no reply.
    I strongly believe that this company lacks any integrity, there are so many other reliable vendors to choose from that want to do a great job and all it will take is some more time up front to choose one.