HMS Home Warrantycover nothing

J Review updated:

We bought a foreclosed home in '08. Our title company, Key Title of Reston, Va., added HMS home insurance into our closing paper the last minute when we closed the house. The charge wasn't listed the day before when we requested a copy of the estimated fees. It turns out that HMS was a total disappointment. We've never received the detailed document as of what're covered and what are not. So basically any problems are subjected to the intepretations of HMS. Few months after we moved in, we noticed some ceiling stains under the upstairs bathroom and called HMS. HMS sent a local company, K&K Plumbing, to check out the problems. The plumber from K&K visually inspected the problems and said that the floor wasn't leveled and the toilet wasn't properly installed. Thus HMS insurance wouldn't cover it. He also recommended us to redo THE ENTIRE bathroom floor. We then called an independent plumber and he said it the floor was fine, no need to redo the entire floor. He removed the toilet, put some cement under the 12x12 tile, changed the flanges and the wax ring and reset the toilet. And the problem was gone!!! My lessons: Don't buy HMS insurance, and don't use K&K Plumbing in N.Va.

• My
    mythought Aug 10, 2011

Lol! I just put in a claim for a toilet, and K&K is who they referred me to! Oh dear! They are a rip off for sure. The sellers of my house purchased it for me (thank goodness I didn't) and it's been a joke. They have claimed everything is either "not included in the warranty, " or "they only cover mechanical items, " or it's a "pre-existing condition." Stay away from HMS folks, far away!

• Sn
    SNO1992 Oct 28, 2012

K&K Plumber Sucks. They even don't do any diagnosis and sent report to HMS that toilet/tubs wasn't properly installed. Its a 20 years old house and I can't believe that K&K Plumbers is such a dumb guy and can report such thing. He is the dumbest guy I have ever met in my life.

• Ph
    Phong Dec 28, 2012

I had the same problem with K&K Plumbers, HMS Sent them out the check out a leak on my toilet, they said the toilet seal is bad, when removing the toilet they claim that it the toilet has a crack that was poorly repaired and that they won't remove the toilet do to fear of damaging it further. They convinced me to replace it for $250(that's installation only!), then increased the price to $325 claiming the work was more difficult than expected. DO NOT USE K & K Plumbers, they are are thieves! If any warranty company recommend them then decline it and ask for a different plumbers.

They didn't even clean up after themselves, broke the toilet in my hall way, cut open my dry wall and left all that mess with out cleaning it up at all. Very unprofessional.

• Th
    The K&K plumber Jan 18, 2013

I've worked for K&K plumbing for 6 years now. They are the lowest priced company in VA, they are licensed and insured. And I was the plumber who replaced your toilet sir you agreed to the $325 before the installation and yes we broke the old one and we are sorry about that, but we did clean it up there was a hole cut in the drywall in the garage so we could find the problem. And yes we carried the toilet in the garage for you as you asked. So before anyone reads the miss leading comments above talk to us first because would you rather have some uninsured random guy off the street in your house or would you rather have a master plumber with 25+ years under his belt.

jayanta sinha Oct 27, 2015

KK plumbing is a complete ripoff. I called them to remove a blockage in kitchen drain. they said the sink installation, that has worked for over 10 years is all of a sudden wrong.
    Thats why they cannot fix the blockage. To remove the blockage they asked for $275, which another plumber who have best reviews on yelp, did for me at $150. I think I will cancel HMS.

• Ki
    Kingfisher80 Jan 17, 2016

HMS is a predatory, dishonest company. The same goes for K&K plumber, with whom HMS obviously has a shady business relationship benefiting each other. K&K's owner, Mark Kline is dishonest and his company does poor work. Don't believe any lies about experience or service. He sent his son out to our property to replace wax rings on two toilets. After the work was done they forgot to hook the water back up on both toilets. We later discovered that the wax wings and caulk were done incorrectly. We left messages indicating that we wanted the work redone or a refund. That seems fair. We didn't get what we paid for. All of a sudden Mark would not return our phone calls. He had our money. He is a bottom feeder, pure and simple. Home warranty companies only employ the worst of the worst. Buyer beware.

• Fi
    Fish19 Nov 07, 2017

We had HMS as our home warranty company. We had some plumbing issues less than a month after moving into our new home. K&K Plumbing, instead of contacting me to set up a time they decided to just set up their own time on a date I was not available. When I called to change, the man on the the phone's demeanor was like I was wasting his time and told me I should just cancel the claim. What type of business is this? Rude, disrespectful and not customer friendly. I made sure to tell HMS to NEVER refer us to K&K Plumbing in VA ever again. I would never do business with them based upon this interaction.

• Li
    Little Bobby Tables Nov 23, 2019

I found this because (wait for it) K&K came here for an HMS Warranty Claim.

Here's the thing most people don't know. Warranties pay crummy rates to the contractors. They love taking the deductible but they DO NOT WANT the repair to be covered. I once had a $50 washer part reimbursed to the repair guy at $1 and they all ran screaming when they found out what it was. Eventually I found out the story.

In my case, I had a bad wax seal on a toilet and K&K said the subfloor needed to be repaired first. As it happened I was getting my roof done by someone who did subfloor repairs so I did it. Contractor (wonderful reliable honest) said the toilet was rusted out (same leak caused that probably) and what do I want to do?

So I called HMS and told them to send K&K back here.

K&K told me that "HMS won't pay for it. Your contractor removed the toilet" (but I could pay them their normal rate to do the job) which on some level makes sense. I mean if the toilet was damaged, how does HMS know the contractor didn't cause it? But on another, HOW THE FRELL do you repair the subfloor of the bathroom without removing the toilet? It's a total Catch-22.

So I called HMS back to have them tell me this and not K&K.

HMS Called K&K in turn. HMS Tells me that K&K DIDN'T want the job because our contractor removed the toilet".

So HMS is sending out someone else and now you know my story and why home warranty companies, by nature, will have this sort of issue.