Green Tree ServicingUnethical business practices; Illegal collection activities

T

As of this entry, I am currently a customer (victim of) Green Tree Servicing, LLC. Here's my breif "Green Tree Story". In 1999, my young family of 3 (myself, wife & small child) found what we believed to be a home that we could afford on what little income we had. We purchased a 16 x 80 mobile home financed by Green Point Credit. After moving it to land of our own - we began to make monthly payments as agreed. At the time of purchase we aquired home owners insurance acceptable to Green Point. A few months later - we recieved a letter that what was previously acceptable was now not acceptable and that we would have to acquire additional or Green Point would place their own high cost insurance on the home. When I objected - I received letters threatening repossession. While considering our options - Green Point billed us an additional $59.79 per month over the original mortgage payment for their own insurance. Frequent call's, faxing of our own policy etc. did not change the fact that they were determined to force their insurance on us and continued to add it to our mortgage payments. Customer Service of course was excellent prior to the sell and then became horrible immediately after the sale. Fast forward several years later we began to receive bill's with Green Tree Servicing on it in place of Green Point Credit; same people, same horrible customer service, same unethical business practices. We simply continued to send our mortgage to what ever bill showed up with our address on it unsure of how many name changes this company was going to have. Once sued - they change their name and their back in business again with a new name but same unethical, illegal activities. As the years went by - we would have an occasional decrease in house hold income and fall behind a payment or 2. In a good faith effort - we would call Green Tree (no) customer service at [protected] and the call would be forwarded to a Jacksonville, FL. Green Tree office at P.O. Box 19649; Jacksonville, FL. [protected]. Individuals by the name (or aliases) of "Chauncey" and a "Ms. Smalls" would answer and inquire as to what time "today" the full payment would be made. If informed that a payment could not be made "today" but could be made on a near future date - threats of mobile home repossession "today" would immediately be made by both Chauncey and Smalls. Smalls would make threats of suing and immediate obtainment of court orders stating that "she " would file in court clearly crossing the line mis-representing her self as an attorney. At one point - she lost it and threatened to contact local law enforcement if I returned to my home and stated that "she" would file in court to block me from returning to my land and home. This after she was informed that Green Tree owns the home but not the land that the mobile home sit's on - I own the land! When I would LOL - these calls would end abruptly with no workable solution (payment "today" is the only acceptable answer). Later - Chauncey would proceed to ring my home, cell & work numbers repeatedly. I had no option but to issue a "cease and desist" order in accordance with Title 15, Chapter 41, Subchapter V, Sec. 1692c, Paragraph (c) "Ceasing Communications". This along with a clear threat of Attorney Action - works. No more calls from Green Tree Servicing, LLC. At some point - Green Tree Serving's mis-handling of these issues literally becomes far worse than going through the actual mobile home repossession process. It is my hope that by sharing this story with others that potential customers (victims) will think twice prior to conducting any future business with Green Tree Servicing, LLC.

• Fr
    Fred Pemberton Aug 03, 2014

For nearly 1 1/2 months now, I have been trying to get Green Tree to make my homeowners insurance payment from my escrow account, and they absolutely refuse to release any of my money being held in escrow to pay the bill.

They're contractually obligated to make those payments, but they refuse to do it.

I'm am approx. 12 years ahead of schedule on my Payments, and have never been late making a payment. I send extra principal Payments each and every single time I make a payment to my mortgage.

I have called them 3 - 4 times a week for the past 6 weeks and they just won't make the escrow payment.

They just laugh in your face, and insult you over the phone. They just refuse to pay the bill.

I don't know what to do anymore. They're either committing Insurance fraud on a massive scale, or they are trying to have leans placed against the property.

They're criminals.

How do you protect yourself from a bank that wants to steal your home from you?

What can I do to Protect myself and my family from these Predators?

Does anybody have any ideas as far as what I can do to keep them from stealing my home?

Please, any help at all.

JeffDD May 31, 2014

I currently have a trailer house on my land that was left by the owner of the mobile home that is financed threw Green Tree over a year ago... Well the owner has not made any payments on the house for the last 3-5 months and now they are calling me wanting his number. I would not give it to them and told them that there is a 16, 000.00 lien against the house for unpaid lot rent and 6 thousand of which is a mechanics lien do to the fact I had put money into the mobile home and even more to keep it from falling apart all over my property. She kept asking me if I was are anybody else currently living in the mobile home and I told her I stay there from time to time as well as friends and family when they come to visit me, and that I have a lot of my own property in the home. I know I cannot hold it for the storage of the home but I do believe I can hold it for the mechanics lien, if not I will remove all my hard work leaving it a shell. I had to replace windows because they had been broken out, the central A/C because the old one was completely shot, flooring, light fixtures, etc... I even had to install a ADT security system in the home to keep people from tearing it up. Also there is no way it can be removed without damaging my property mainly my entry way that I have around 7k investing in it, not to mention all my trees around the home. They do not have a contract with me that they can destroy any private property because the owner moved it on my land without their knowledge which he could have been thrown in jail for from my understanding, but they will have to pay for any damage in removing the property for sure. After I built the entry way I made it shorter and about 12' narrower, they just managed to get it in there before, so there is no way out the gate. The neighbors are not going to let them cut the fences and take it across their property so it is pretty much stuck there, I could not get it out if I wanted to without tearing up a lot of my property, which is another reason I put money into it, I did not want a big piece of junk on my land and figured they would just leave it and write it off it is was nothing but junk. But I do not know what else to do...

jojopaintman May 22, 2014

Amazing beond belief green tree can not change original contract the bought from other lenders when u take out a lien on mobile home or mortage u can get copies at your local court house if they are not living up to the deal u can file a civil complaint at your courthouse and they will have to appear if they do not appear or otherwise ignor your complaint you can then file civil suit and have your state attorney or district attorney file a criminal complaint beleive they will settel with you

[ hope this helps a little }
    the Paintman

Jessi2014 May 16, 2014

We too have been harassed by green tree. Their "Customer Service" are rude, granted they have a select few who are polite. Our latest interaction Green Tree, I had scheduled an auto-pay for the 15th. I knew my husband would be getting paid. They took it upon themselves to take the payment out on the 12th. Clearly they made an error... And wouldn't that be considered theft? I called them. I was extremely upset, because it had put my bank account in the negative and also caused me what I thought was an overdraft fee. Thankfully my bank kicked it back as I had other bills scheduled to come out. I spoke to two people that evening. Each telling me I had to get documents together, fax them and then wait for 2-3 business days. I was furious. After a couple of days I was able to get all the things they needed. I had to have my bank print up things and write a note stating I wanted it refunded. I was freaking out because I was afraid they'd take it out again... On the date they were actually supposed to. The customer service manager assured me, that would not happen. There was nothing scheduled, but what she didn't tell me was oh yes we will try to pull out another payment in a few days...even though it shows nothing is set up now for the 15th. I was furious when I looked at my bank statement and saw sure enough they tried to pull he payment on the 16th. Let me be clear, I just wanted to fix the landslide they had created in my bank account, and that required them refunding the money. I received a voicemail from customer service manager stating the paperwork I sent was not good enough and she was having trouble reading the required note. I am not stupid, I recognize a game when I see it. I was so frustrated on the verge of tears. I called spoke to one girl who hung up on me when I. Explained the situation, then called back spoke to another woman who passed me off to a supervisor who didn't care what I had to say. The most ironic thing of this is how each of them told me they had protocol to follow apparently taking the payment out on huge day they were supposed not before wasn't part of their protocol. I am so frustrated with these people. It's not the first issue we've had, prior to this fiasco we had a customer service rep who was harassing and when I told her we didn't have the money then and there, I actually had other bills and 4 children to feed... She actually says oh I see so paying your bills having a roof over your head isn't a priority. We can foreclose on your property you know.

• Im
    imdkipster Nov 23, 2013

had gmac mtg amd they asked me what date i would like to pay my mtg--i picked the elevence of the month--was ok'd and no late notices and no late fees--mtg was bought by greentree and now i get double payments, but no late fees--i called and questioned why, and i was told the mtg is due on the first, but you have to the 15th--but if it doesn't come on the first we ( greentre ) double bills---i am in the prossess of contacting the attorney general, dept. of real estate and the dept. of finance to find out if what greentree is correct even though they bought my mtg fron gmac --which is a binding contract--i also found out that grenttee's invoice date is the 8th of the month--does all mtg's that are recieved befor the 8th are also double billed--espsecialy the ones that are recieved after the 8th--i;m sure that when i ask this info from them--they will say that that info is not available---likely story--if i find out that what they are doing is illeagle i will sue--and everybody that gets threatening calls from greentre, just has to say--i have heard what you have told me--do not call again or i will sue for harrassment--it works every time--also record the conversation and get the name of the oerson your talking with and the supervisors name--they have t give it to you

• Gl
    glennbr Oct 21, 2013

To whom it may concern,

This is a long story, so please bear with me. This is a complaint about two different mortgage servicers, and I am filing a separate complaint against each. As with both I am facing essentially the same situation, they may appear repetitive. Both, however, are doing the same things.

In 2005, I took out a now illegal 80/20 home mortgage and was not told about a number of issues, among them the securitization of the mortages and the destruction of my chain of title, the fact it was designed to fail, and a number of other lender frauds found by an attorney during a mortgage audit. I did not give my consent nor approval to any of this, nor was it disclosed to me just want an ARM really does.

Furthermore, I specifically asked months prior if my monthly mortgage expense could stay at around 700.00 as I knew I could afford that, and I was told that was doable. Yet, at closing I was presented with two mortgages and threatened I had to sign or I could face legal issues and told I could always refinance, totaling 957.00 per month, and that did not even include taxes and insurance.

The realtor has since been barred from selling real estate, the mortgage company is closed and the broker as far as I can tell is out of the business.

The mortgages were originated by Countrywide Home Loans, which should say a lot in itself.

As I discovered more issues, I asked for the mortgages to be restructured so they would be fair and I could live in peace knowing my payments would not adjust to some outrageous amount I would not be able to pay. The mortgage companies (the 20% was sold to Litton Loan Servicing and the 80% was taken over by Bank of America when Countrywide folded) refused.

Being as how these entities bought the business, is it not their responsibility to fix it? If you or I bought a business and an issue came up, it would certainly be our responsibility to fix it. That the business is in this case an asset does not change the burden of correcting a situation one bit.

In 2009 I was forced to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, and tried the entire time of the bankruptcy proceedings to get the mortgage companies to restructure the loans so I could reaffirm them, but they refused. According to my attorney, the mortgages as they stood would never be reaffirmed because the judge would not allow it so long as the mortgages were unfair to me or placed an undue financial burden upon me. Further, my attorney advised me that without the reaffirmation, the mortgage companies could foreclose even if I was paying the mortgages timely, which I was. So, despite my best efforts, the mortgages were not reaffirmed.

After the bankruptcy discharge, I continued to fight for new mortgages, as I knew the situation I was in was wrong and I wanted it made right.

On April 19, 2012, the house caught fire and was a total loss. Before the fire, the 20% mortgage was sold to Ocwen Loan Servicing and the 80% to Green Tree Servicing on 09/19/12, yes, after the fire that mortgage was sold to Green Tree.

After the fire, I received my payoff quotes from the mortgage companies. Imagine my outrage when Green Tree demanded over 100k for what was originally an 88k note and Ocwen demanded 27k for what originally was a 22k note. And this in spite of the payments I made during the course of the loan, despite the lender fraud uncovered, despite the securitization of the loans ruining the chain of title to what was left of the property (now an empty lot), and despite the fact neither lender has been able to provide a signed in ink original note signed by me. And, let's not forget the bankruptcy, where the attorney himself said the loans were unfair, burdensome and even deceptive and fraudulent in letter and practice on the parts of the lender and the people working for the lender. Furthermore, the case Bellistri v. Ocwen (Eastern District of Missouri) held that once a mortgage and the corresponding note are separated, they cannot be put back together, essentially nullifying the mortgage (how do I know who really owns it?).

As it now stands, it has been about a year and a half since the fire. Both lenders have refused to arrive at a fair settlement of either mortgage. In fact, Green Tree, according to their own paperwork, is adding fees to the balance despite the fact I am no longer even responsible for paying this debt! The fire is as fresh as yesterday because of this. The stress has blasted my blood pressure through the roof and caused other deterioration of my health. I have already instructed anyone acting as executor of my estate to sue for wrongful death if I die because of this situation and the effect it has had on my health, as in a case in Florida, Green Tree is already facing a wrongful death lawsuit.

Just as an aside, might I suggest you have a look around the consumer websites regarding both Green Tree and Ocwen. Their reputations are horrible, and they have a nasty habit of abusing borrowers in many of the same ways they are abusing me.

• 00
    000000 Dec 01, 2012

Greentree has a poor website. It would be good if their website provided more information about a person's mortgage. I believe they have it this way because they do not want the customer to be wholly informed about their mortgage account. This way, they can say what they want. You have to keep good records yourself.

• Un
    Unhappyinnv Aug 04, 2011

We have had many many problems with Green Tree. We tried to short sell our home for 2 years, did everything they asked us to do, jumped through every hoop, and still they refused to approve the sale. They were the 2nd mortgage and Chase holds the first. Chase approved the sale, yet Green Tree refused and the home went to auction!!! They are the most nasty, vile, disrespectful people I have ever come in contact with. Has anyone had Green Tree come after them for deficiency balances?

• Mi
    Michele Blancett Jun 18, 2011

I have my own horrible experiences with GreenTree . They have sent me text messages, yes text me that " I needed to vacate the premisses ASAP. . then fhe calling evey ten minutes from different numbers... ive had my home since 2001 and they have harrassed me, called my mother and my uncle for a payment . They have left me ugly notes to be out of my Mhome or they would come to take it, and the note was written on the back of an enelope with nothing about GreenTree and wasn't at all in a proffesional manner. I called the number from the note and it was the people that reposse SUPOSEDLY ...Lol. The lady talked so ugly to me and was yelling at me that my dad got on the other line and heard her she began to cuss him out and tell him she would call the law . Everytime i pay more money the payoff never changes !!! It's really gotten me down...it just gets worse ...HELP !!! it is great that i'm not the only person

• Bu
    Burnease May 22, 2011

I suggest getting an Attorney to help this company go belly up! I had a mortgage with Conseco in the begining and Greentree took over. Now I asked them for the orginal paper work. They too 2 months to send me a fake copy of my documents. My documents were not signed as Greentree. They changed info to help themselves. I don't believe it will stand up in court. I'll let you know how I make out. Once I go and stand up for my rights. I too, bought a foreclosed double wide and owe the same amt as when I purchased it. With the new Gov't modifications going on try to correct it now. My intrest rate is almost 12%, the home is not worth what I owe. I will keep intouch and do updates. I would like to help everyone that I can.

• Km
    kmarie1959 May 12, 2011

they charge my husband late fees sometimes and his is automatically taken out of his bank, he does not send it in, so I dont understand how they can do that

jennadarling87 May 12, 2011

Greentree is telling me I am three months behind, when in fact I am not behind at all.

• Km
    kmarie1959 Mar 27, 2011

what has anyone done with their situations, , my husband bought older mobile, Wamu sold his mortgage to Greentree, suddenly its not going down, says he still owes as much as he did years ago, so who do we go to for help with this, in being ripped off? Anyone ?
    [email protected]

• Rp
    rphartley Mar 25, 2011

GreenTree is the most horrible company I have ever delt with. Everything mentioned above I have also dealt with plus being toward continually that I am in default even though I am only owing $29.58 and the next payment is not due till next month. I have had my mobile home for 11 years and have maybe 3 or 4 years left to pay. It seems the closer I get to paying it off the worse they are with calling and being totally demanding with me sending in payments ahead of time or I will be in default... Conseco is who I first was given a loan with ... Where does GreenTreen get off with thier attitude??

• Ki
    Kim Gragg Feb 12, 2011

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in Greentree's shoddy business practices. The are crooks. In December, 2010 I sent them via Western Union Quick Collect almost $800. They had done a check by phone prior to my sending this and I was told that as soon as I sent the money they would cancel the check for $781. (I sent them 792). They didn't cancel the check and were demanding another $800 by the end of this month. I was on the phone with them close to an hour. They put me thru to one lady who was so rude and disrespectful to me. She told me that they were good enough to give me a loan in the first place. I didn't think until the next day (because I was to upset to realize it while I was on the phone) but they didn't give me the loan. They denied me on a home that was cheaper. Conseco gave me to loan, then Greentree bought out our loan. Honest I feel as though they are loan sharks.

• Do
    DoronDan_45 Feb 07, 2011

I feel you. I spoke with Mrs. Smalls (found out it's Smallwood) re our account. My husband and I are separated abut I live in the home. I asked them why they couldn't put the hoe in my name. All they had to do was to draw up the necessary papers. A gentlemen, Carlos I think, told me I had no business in the house because my name was not on it. I then informed him that he could move the trailer off of my property because it is in my name. Mrs. Smalls then informed me that I still had to paythe bill because I'm living in the house. I told her I just called to get the correct address to send my payment to because they said that it was always getting to them late so now these late fees start adding up. Eventually, I hung up on them because they were trying to outtalk me after I had already listened to them and they still weren't giving up the address. They were trying to get me to make a payment by phone so they could charge me $10.

• Rm
    rmoore013 Jan 31, 2011

Be very careful sending in late payments. i was told today that I am accruing $16.00 per day late fees (my house payment has been paid about 28 days late the last 4 months because I had to put a new transmission in my car in October 2010). I asked the lady if she meant per month??? and she said NO PER DAY!!! I asked her about the grace period (my payment is due on the 1st of each month). she told me the fee was charged beginning on the 2nd of each month. I told her I did not agree to that in my original contract with Conseco, and to please send me documentation. All she would keep saying is that this was considered "outside my contract". I have no idea what that means, but I will be contacting the attorney general. If I am accruing 16.00 per day in late fees that is over $400 per month for the last 4 months not to include all the times I might have been late (or paid after the 1st) here and there over the last 10 years. This is ridiculous and we wonder why our economy sucks!!! The consumers dont want to buy because they get screwed!!!

• Ro
    rottiesrus Jan 13, 2011

My second mortgage unfortunately was sold to Green Tree when GMAC went sold it to them. I never had a problem with GMAC, no phone calls on the 2nd of the month and no late fees. When our mortgage was sold to Green Tree, the phone calls started the second month with Green Tree. With GMAC I paid on-line and by the 10th of the month. A 1st mortgage gives us a 15 days grace period our 2nd mortgage with GMAC gave us a 10 day grace period, when the mortgage was sold we were told that none of the terms were changing. Well when the 2nd month came I started getting collection calls on the 2nd day of the month, I refused to pick up and let it go to voicemail and it was Green Tree with a robocall telling me to contact them, which I never did. This went on until November of 2010, when I finally picked up the phone and had some choice words for them letting them know that none of my terms had changed that they will be paid by the 10th of the month and that with GMAC I never had a problem, I have paid them through my bank online. Some months the payment gets deposited in 2 days other months it takes 8 days. I am sending it to a P.O. Box through my bank. This month January 2011, I mailed it on January 4, 2011, they did not deposit it until January 12, 2011, they are holding on to the payments so they can charge late fees and guess what a late fee I got. Oh 1 other good point they can't call me anymore because I got rid of my home phone so now when they try to contact me they get "This number has been disconnected, no further information is available". So I just keep makin my payments every month when they get it they get it. I also sent them a complaint e-mail letter yesterday, January 12, 2011, it was not a nice letter basically asking them how long they hold payments for so they can charge late fees when it only takes a day to get from my neighborhood to theirs (same state 20 minutes away driving) and if I had a choice in the matter I would have never done business with a no-name company like Green Tree. Their response: Your payment was posted January 12, 2011, again I sent them another e-mail asking how long do they hold on to payments so that they can charge late fees and I also told them here's a quarter buy a clue I have no money that is why my phone is disconnected. I still have received no response. The good thing about not having a phone is they can't talk all their crap to you now it is written and has to be by the law. Good luck Green Tree, you will be going down!!! P.S. To everyone out there having problems keep up the fight and report them to the Attorney General in your state, maybe then we can have a class action suit and they will be out of business for good.

• De
    DENA BAKER Sep 20, 2010

I toally agree with your comment. I am from Iron City Georgia.Me and my husband financed our mobile home through Bombardier Capital and was later sold to Greentree services.It's bee nightare everysince.We have had the home for 15 years and still supposingly owe 21, 000.The size of the home s only 16x80 2 bedroom 2 bath.Im really fed up and about to tell them they can just pck it up.I've experienced all the same situations, especially bad phone conversations with Mrs.Smalls.

• Bl
    Bluegrass Jul 01, 2010

These people are the [censor] of the earth. I normally refuse to answer the phone when I know it is them. We've even had one joker call us from his personal phone in the evening. Poor fools - don't they know that most of us have caller ID? They have added "charges" to our payment each month and refuse to send us in writing what they are for. Finally one of them said it was for legal fees when theys filed suit against us 10 years ago! Why would you wait ten years before you try to collect? They sent their little repo letter and blah, blah, blah. I took all of it to an attorney this morning. Don't try to go online and get your payment history - it ain't there. So, I printed out all of my statements and all of my checks for the past year. My atty is going to write them a letter along with a cease and desist order to stop the phone calls. You don't have to put up with the phone calls. When I was arguing with one woman (didn't catch her name) I called her "Lady". She huffily told me not to call her that and I said fine, I can call you a few other names if you'd like me to. Also, if they know the call is being recorded or witnessed, they will hang up immediately. They keep wanting us to pay these "fees" but refuse to show us in writing what they are. I finally asked the one idiot if he was going to take us to court and say that we are not making the payments. He wouldn't answer me. By the way, our payments are current and have been for the past 6 years or more. These fees amount to $50 at present and that is what they are going to repo for. We do not live in it, someone else does who helps us out around our place, so it's really no skin if they take it. I just can't believe they think that everyone they deal with is as stupid and ignorant of the law as they are. They are nothing but slimy shyster collectors. I don't know how some of them can look at themselves in the mirror each morning. This time I've had it with them and the calls. They begin calling at 8 a.m. and continue until 9 p.m. I have been picking up and hanging it up; they will call right back. We've had 6 calls in a 5 minute period. It is a good thing that I don't have children in the house for them to talk to the way I have been reading that they have done. Someone would pay for that and dearly. There's no reasoning for it and I know that the atty general and all other gov't agencies know about them. Why nothing is done to them, I can't imagine. We will never have anything thing else to do with them. The online payment fees are ridiculous! No one else charges to make online payments. [censor]!

• Be
    Bettyjean B Jun 17, 2010

We have given up the fight with Green Tree! We have had our home for 10 years, payments were never supposed to be above $350 been paying $400 the past 7 years. Our original morgage was through Conseco but everyone knows that story! On a $32, 000 morgage we have paid $48, 000. In this 10 years we have only been over 30 days 3 times this includes the payments that we refused to pay in the past couple of months since we have told them to come and take the house back. So tired of being harrassed and tormented to the point of needing nerve pills. The phone calls were never ending, keeping me on the phone for an hour and a half in October, the woman told me she was going to forclose, long story short asked me why I didn't work(my husband does) I told her I take care of my mom who has just been diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma and my 3 kids. She told me to get my priorities straight(we were a week late) and put my kids in daycare and put my mom in a nursing home! I asked her if I could talk to the woman in charge of our account she told me no, the only one I was going to talk to was her, she was my God and the only one I could listen too or speak too! We told them to come and get the mobile home off of our land in April 2010, now they want to help! They offered to lower our almost 14% interest for 1 year to help!!! LOL!!! The man that day told my husband "Do the math" So I told him to "do the math" I seen a home in the paper the same year as ours for $6000. Why should we continue taking their abuse while stuggling to pay them $400 plus their $12 monthly fee to pay online or over the phone for the next 23 years! We had to file bankruptsy for medical reasons years ago, so the woman at Green Tree told me they would normally take us to court and sue for the rest of the money, but they can't touch us because we never reafirmed our loan with them! She herself told me we were doing the right thing in getting away from that company! They told us on the phone that we had to be out by Memorial weekend, they just showed up today 6-17-10, never knocking on my mother's door(were we live for now)a few feet from the home and changed the locks! NO notice no nothing! We were never even notified in writting that they were coming to take it or when! Glad we got all of our stuff out! Good bye and good riddens Green Tree! God Bless anyone who is still dealing with them, you are all in my prayers! I wish we could all take this company down, put them out of their miserable buisness and sue them for mental abuse among other things! Although we now have no home of our own, we will in time, Lord willing! It is nice not being tormented day in and day out! I am tired of begging for help!

• Tb
    tbt910a Feb 03, 2010

I had a equity loan from green tree and it was a nightmare! After I was divorced, assumed the loan by myself as dictacted in the divorce decree, refinanced and paid the loan off entirely...they continued to send documents with my ex-wife's information on it. I asked them numerous times to add my name to the documents as I was on the original loan...during the process of refinancing to get green tree out of the picture, they sent me a check for the over payment...it was in my ex-wife's name! I paid off the loan, not her...Incredible. Their business practices are crazy...I asked to refinance with them (before I knew how unprofessional they were) or have my ex-wife's name removed from the loan after showing the decree...they stated her name could not be removed from the existing loan due to legal reasons...OK, can understand that. Then I requested to just refinance with them...they told me they won't do it and that I needed to get a loan with another company...I was in good standing, never missed a payment, they stood to make $40K off of my $40K loan...thanks to my ex-wife for wanting a $80K pool! Anyway, jokes on them...I ended up refinancing the pool at 4.99% instead of 6.49% and the credit union I am with is awesome! Green Tree Servicing is an awful company and I would never do business with them again!

• Ms
    MSMC Dec 10, 2009

We are not even a customer of GreenTree. Last night when I got home from work, my husband said some woman called wanting to know if we knew (our neighbors name). He said, yes we do know them, why? She then asked him what their phone number was. He again asked why? She said we are trying to get in touch with them. He asked her how SHE got OUR phone number and she said that our name and number was on something that they did business with them in the past. So my husband said, give me YOUR name and number and I will give it to our neighbor and let her know you called us.

I didnt give it to our neighbor, but called the number myself and found out it was GreenTree. I will NOT give this message to our neighbor because I know it will cause extreme embarrassment! What kind of company is this GreenTree anyway? I know for sure, it will never get MY business in the future!!

One other thing, we never have bill collectors call our home and it really ticked me off that someone elses bill collector called me! They have some nerve.

• Re
    real estate agent Oct 24, 2009

I am a Realtor in Colorado and advise my clients not to ever buy trailers for all the reasons you are discussing. If a lender wants to foreclose on the property it must be in writing, not giving demands over the phone. This is simply harrassment. If you are receiving demands over the phone, please read your loan docs to see where you stand and what rights the lender actually has. Most of them make verbal demands to scare the uneducated homeowner. Seek the advice of an educated Realtor or attorney.
    Alyson Canepa
    Re/Max Traditions
    Longmont, Colorado

• Md
    Mdeatherage Jul 15, 2009

In 2000 My husband and I also financed a trailer through conceco finance. Conceco were great they were always willing to work with us. When green tree took over they never were willing to work with us and we constantly received notices. In 2006 we moved to Vermont. We put up the trailer for sale. Due to not having any income we miss three payments but during that time we had an offer for $20, 000 on the trailer. We found out it was going to take a while for the offer to go through. So we came up with the back payments we owed so as not to have issues. Mind you we were sent a bill of what was owed two days before we were getting ready to send it. Then we received a letter of repossession. We called to tell them we were just going to send what was owed and that we had an offer on the trailer, and they told me I could only take care of it by paying $25, 000 up front and that it wasn't mine to sell anymore. So they actioned of the trailer for $13, 000 and expected us to pay the difference. We tried to set up a payment plan and it was set up for automatic payments through June of 2007. I mentioned that we should just keep it going and the man said no that we would talk again after June. So the payments were only authorized until June of 2007. I didn't trust them so I had the money coming out of an account that was specifically meant for them. They then persisted to try to take money out of my account in July and August of 2007 without my authorization. I ended up closing the account down. We haven't heard from them since then till October or November of 2008. My husband explained we were on state assistance and that we didn't have any money. Never heard from them since. No mail correspondence or anything. A couple months ago I looked up my credit report and found that they had done a write off in October of 2007. Then just yesterday, it is now July 2009, we get a call from a place called ARM that is saying that they are doing an asset review on us because Green Tree is in the last stages of getting ready to take us to court for $12, 000 dollars. Then they tell me that they'll try to get an offer for $4500 and that we would have to come up with it by July 20th 5pm. I asked them to send me a legal document stating all this and they said as soon as Green tree accepts the offer they will fax it to me and send the original copy, but that the original copy could take up to three days to get here. Which would mean it would make it to me on Monday or after Monday which is when the payment is due. Everything is crazy.

• Qu
    QueenKamisha Jun 19, 2009

My husband and I bought a mobile home from Conseco in 2001 and when they claimed bancruptcy shortly after they sold our loan to Greentree.

When we bought the mobile home we got insurance according to the state of Missouri.

Once Greentree took over the loan they sent us letters and called daily to say that the insurance we had was not enough coverage.

They wanted us to get coverage equal to our monthly payment times 30 years.

No insurance company would put that much coverage on a mobile home which is what I told them.

I also told them even if I put that much coverage on they would still only get what we owed if something happened, which was a total of 35, 000 when the mobile home was bought.

Still they kept hounding us. I changed our home number twice to avoid their constant calls.

Finally in December 2003 I told them that we was not getting the increased insurance and we would not pay a higher monthly payment for their insurance.

They told us they would put it on anyways and if we failed to pay the total due each month they would start repossession paperwork.

I told them fine we will be out by the end of January and you can have the damn trailer back.

It is now June 2009, they have only sent 1 letter about it via certified mail which we never went and got from the post office.

Also we are now claiming bancruptcy due to Greentree and Ford (they sold us a lemon car and wouldn't replace it).

8 years after it all began our nightmare will soon be over.

We have lived in the same apartment since 2004 and we outright own our own vehicles.

Life will finally have a sliver lining once the bancruptcy is completed.

Pamela in K.C., MO.

• To
    Tom Nov 30, 2008

Greentree (according to my telephone records) called me 42 times in the month of October. I eventually had to block their number so they couldn't call me anymore. Tonight (Sunday night at 7:30PM), I get a call from a "Withheld" number. I answer and the lady on the other end tells me that my loan is in default and that she is going to start the legal process to recover "The collateral" unless I could come up with $361.00 by 8:00PM. I told her about all of the other conversations I had with another collections rep who saw fit to call me as many as 8 times in a day. I told her that a month before, I had been promised a "Deferred Payment" of 2 months in order to let me get caught up if I would make the payment of $361.00. I made the payment, but there was no payment deferral.

I explained to this lady that I haven't lived in the MH for almost 7 years, and that it is only worth &8, 000.00, and not the 28k they are asking me for. I told her that I had spoken to another rep weeks earlier about doing a "Short Sell" on the MH. Even though they agreed to a Short Sell, they were now saying that they don't do those, and that I have now 28 minutes to come up with a payment.

She advised me that the company would rather repossess the property, pay to have it relocated to an auction lot, and then sell it for $500 to $1000 at auction, rather than to let me pay the actual value of the trailer in cash in a short sell.

In any case, I think I will just let them repo the thing. It is a monkey on my back, and while I did sign the contract for the loan, it not only the idea of continuing to pay over $120, 000 over the course of the next 20 years for something that is worth $8, 000 today, but the attitude of the reps and the frequent phone calls on weekends and holidays is just too much.

They give you 30 minutes to come up with a full payment, and then say things like "We are TRYING to work with you here, but you aren't meeting us on this."

Kick Rocks, Greentree!

• Ly
    Lynn Nov 29, 2008

I am having these problems with Green Tree. They say I am 90 days behind and in reality we are 60 days, that I sent out the 30 day and so now we are only 9 days... I think they refuse to cash the October check. Yet they are saying they must also get December in full or they are proceeding forward. They guy even called me the day before Thanksgiving cackling at me and thanked me for "Making This For closure So Easy "and "Oh, By The Way, Happy Thanksgiving!"