Grand Canyon Universitycontract failure

Dr. Kimberly LaPrade

Dean, College of Education

Grand Canyon University

Dr. LaPrade,

I am submitting a request to you for assistance with an unresolved situation with the university that you represent, or connecting me to an individual who can assist me in an expeditious manner. My name is [redacted], and I am a GCU graduate effective June 8, 2011.

I have been charged for coursework that was not a part of my enrollment agreement, and my attempts to resolve the situation within the prescribed channels has led nowhere. At every step along the way in this situation, I was informed that the charges would not occur. When they did, I was notified that the charges would be reversed. It is now going on to the 6th week without any resolution despite my repeated calls, and without any contact from the academic counseling department as to progress.

In November 2009 I enrolled with GCU to complete a masters program in education administration. In Winter 2010 I had to sign a new enrollment agreement to change to the four-credit programming. At that time, I signed an enrollment agreement which called for two 2-credit internship classes. In October 2010, I was told that I would have to take two 4-credit internships, but that I would not be charged for the second. I was reassured by Ryan Weeda, my second academic counselor that this would be the case on repeated occasions.

In April 2011, I was charged for the second internship. Approximately 1200 dollars was subtracted from my financial aid package, leaving a balance of 760 dollars owed to the university. I immediately contacted Ryan Weeda, who informed me that he would submit the issue to his manager for resolution, and that the money would be refunded. After two weeks, I again contacted the university to check on the status. I was told that Ryan had been promoted, and that Dan Medina, my third academic counselor, would assist me. Dan was not aware of my issue, and I had to start the process over. He asked me to submit a complaint form, which I did, and that he would forward this on to his manager.

After two weeks I was contacted by Erin Ontko, who notified me that I had an outstanding balance on my account. Angry, I asked to be connected to Dan, and was notified that my academic counselor was Katherine Biesler (now my fourth counselor in a year and a half), and that Dan was helping her accounts while she was on vacation. Katherine notified me that the request had been approved by her manager, but that action required approval from an unnamed regional manager. Since this time (four weeks into the formal process) I have had no resolution or contact from Lorenzo Sanchez, the academic counseling manager. I am now in my sixth week, have completed all coursework and requested transcripts which I am concerned will not be sent due to the outstanding balance. It appears that GCU has made little priority resolving this situation or contacting me.

I request that GCU honor the signed agreement that I have contracted with the university, and that the 860 dollars along with the 1200 dollars already received be refunded. I am disappointed that the university has not demonstrated leadership or action on my behalf, and consequently I am cc’ing this email to the administrative leadership, along with the Arizona State Board for Private Post-Secondary Education and consumerist.com seeking resolution.

I hope that this action will spur the university to resolve my situation and take appropriate action so that other students do not suffer.

• Updated by Christine1013 · May 07, 2018

If they are getting repaid from the government from all the people this fake school has ripped off over the years, then why are they taking my tax return!! And why now? I don't understand why the government would allow a fake school to exist, to fool people into actually thinking they are bettering their future, only to find out it was a complete waste of time, and now they're allowed to take our tax returns from us?! This is not ok and I will not stop until they stop taking my money!! I'm not paying anything for a fake education that doesn't count for anything!!! Shame on them for hiding behind the "religious" type of "school" they pretend to be!!!

• Jt
    jtgcu2011 Oct 26, 2011

Make sure to file your complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB serving Central, Northern and Western Arizona):

• Be
    bethridge Mar 21, 2012

I very much wish I had read this before enrolling because I am being ripped off !! What is even worse is the fact that they call themselves a Christian university. I plan to contact the better business today and file a complaint I also plan on calling the government loan agency to report what they are doing please as many people as possible do this and help stop this rip off.

Christine1013 Aug 20, 2018

This school was a scam, and now they are taking my tax money!! I don't understand why because they're not a real school, and I'm not letting these people to continue to profit off of me. I work hard for the little money I do get and for them to take my tax returns, is unfair!!

Annoyed Anderson Aug 20, 2018

I asked to be taken off calling lists. They keep calling me. I turned them into the BBB. With no luck. I block the calls but they just keep calling with new numbers. I want the calls to stop. They are harassing me.

• Kr
    K Randolph Aug 29, 2018

I was contacted for over a year and have encountered issues from financial aid to settlements of a grade. Even the enrollment counselor stopped talking to me and I told the student counselor via e-mail if all her and others are going to do is run, then please do so and hit a wall while you're at it.

• Be
    beth reisner Oct 15, 2018

I want my official copy of my transcript that liberty university has already paid for immediately so I can start my classes this month and graduate by may of 2019 or I will file a lawsuit against grand canyon university for fraud on my account after I was told that I qualified for financial aid for my program