Resolved Goldcar Car Hire Spainscam

H Review updated:

In sept we travelled to malaga and hired a vw toran 7 seater from goldcar, there were 6 in the party so needed the extra seats. We were only there for a long weekend and just used the car to travel from and back to the airport. When we dropped the car off we asked for it to be checked but they only checked the fuel. Back in england my friends credit card bill arrived with an additional charge of £1861.66 after several calls and emails it transpired that we were being accused of stealing the 2 rear seats. This was unbelievable as we did not under any circumstances remove any seats from the car. We have asked goldcar to check the cctv as this will show we were all sat on a seat when we drove into the airport, but they refuse to do this. Goldcar have produced a receipt printed on plain paper (no letter heading) for £883.39 so we have had a refund of £978.27. My friends credit card co (Marks and spencer) will not help. Goldcar have said this is the end of the matter and will not issue a refund so I feel the need to let as many people as possible know about this terrible company. Do not use goldcar rentals!

RESOLVED

• GoldCar Rental's response · Dec 12, 2013

Dear Travelgurl,

Goldcar doesn´t fake charges and we would take legal action on false accusations of any kind.

Just 3 quick points:

1) Those charges have nothing to do with Goldcar, as we explained you in private, but even though that, we have taken the time to make a research in google, in order to find it corresponds to a Club Resort in a place called "Los Belones" which is situated in direction to "Cartagena" (village name), that´s why you see "Los Belones Car" in your bank statement.
    This Club Resort appears to be your local residence in Murcia according to the information you provide us when checking in with Goldcar.

2) We have never charged a deposit of 6000 euros to any client ever. We assume you misspelled an extra 0 on it.

3) It´s completely fine with us to display our internal records with your reservation details in which the amount of charges, dates and time do not fit with your claiming at all, as well as Goldcar does not accept American Express cards, which made it impossible, at the first place for us to make these charges.

We hope you get the time to contact the company which charged you, and finally get to clarify it properly.

Yours Sincerely,
    Victoria
    Goldcar Rental

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jan 14, 2014

Dear Gordon Streeter,

Thanks for your comment, please let me introduce a different point of view:

- We repair all vehicles at official dealers, you as an experienced mechanic may know the difference of prices that may be charged.

- Take into account that we must add to the price of the repairment, the cost of not being able to rent this vehicle during a number of days. This cost may be higher loss than the repairment itself.

Regarding fuel, since a couple of weeks ago, unused fuel reimbursement now apply to ALL reservations. The amount charged for fuel always includes other services as refuelling, quick drop off etc..

Thanks again for your feedback., it helps us to improve.

Best Regards,

Goldcar Representative.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jun 10, 2014

Dear Martena Smith,

Unfortunately, the problem you experienced with a long queue at our Almería airport
    check-in counter is not easy to solve. As you mentioned, queues are due to the large amount of customers we receive all at once (on the same airplane, or even several in case of delays or high season traffic). Every airport has certain restrictions on the amount of staff and computers we can employ, thus the congestion. Nevertheless,
    we have begun to open auxiliary desks during the summer season (Alicante, Palma de Mallorca and Málaga for the time being).

Furthermore, we highly recommend Online Check-in and Priority Check-in (available on
    our website, https://www.goldcar.es/en/). We have currently added the option of buying any extras you may need or choosing you fuel plan online, which also accelerates the process.

We are very glad to hear that your past experiences hiring with us were satisfactory. We
    are sending promotional codes to reward our loyal and return customers, so that they can benefit from discounts and other courtesies. Please send us an email at [email protected] so that we can send you one. Hopefully you will reconsider renting a car with us on your next visit.

Kindest Regards,

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jun 30, 2014

Dear neil morris,
    I am not sure you realize that what you suggest is preposterous. Not only would our customers be putting their safety in danger (the last thing any of us want), but it would also bring very serious legal consequences.
    Regarding your accusations, we are currently doing our best to answer all customer complaints and doubts regarding our services to solve this issue as soon as possible. It is in our best interest to have informed and satisfied customers.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jun 30, 2014

Dear neil morris,

Please send us your reservation number at [email protected] so that we may investigate and try to solve what in particular caused you to be dissatisfied with our services.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jul 18, 2014

Dear Mr. Stockfleth,
    Please send us your reservation number at [email protected] so that we may review your fuel reimbursement. Customers are always refunded for the exact amount of petrol they return, so this is highly irregular. Please take into consideration that the fuel charge includes a small handling fee for our Fast Return Service. This allows our customers to not have to worry about refueling close to the office before returning the car and to not have to wait for it to be inspected. Also, please note that customers have the option of leaving a deposit on their card (“unfrozen” by their bank 15-20 days after the return of the vehicle) if they don’t want to buy full insurance.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jul 28, 2014

Dear Ron y,
    The cars we offer are available for consultation on our webpage (Fleet tab), as well as on our FB page. In particular, here is a picture of one of our Volkswagen Passat.
    Regarding our insurance policies, please understand that we cannot hand out a vehicle without making sure that any possible damages will be covered for. The deposit varies depending on the type of car, location and season, as does the full tank of fuel. This is available for consultation on our webpage. Also, please note that even after adding insurance and the full tank of fuel, our prices are very reasonable and economical.
    Goldcar Representative

Comments

• GoldCar Rental's response · Aug 07, 2014

Dear Laoise,
    We are sorry to hear that your rental experience with us was not satisfactory. Please take into consideration that the price advertised online is only the basic rental charge. We offer a pre-purchase fuel plan where a full tank of fuel is bought at destination and unused fuel is later refunded (minus a handling and administration fee for our Fast Return Service). Thanks to this service, customers don’t have to worry about refuelling close to the office before returning the vehicle nor wait for it to be inspected. Anything else is optional, like our full coverage, which is offered as an alternative to leaving a deposit on customers’ credit cards.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Oct 30, 2014

Dear Paulgill,
    We are very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our services. I am not sure if you were contacted by our Customer Services department, but the Special Cleaning fee you were charged was refunded the 22/08.
    Our apologies for the inconveniences caused and for the condition of the vehicle you were given. Please believe that it is highly irregular; offering top rate cars is our number one priority, 70% of our +37.000 car fleet is renewed annually.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Nov 04, 2014

Dear Tometuna,
    We apologize for not answering your emails, your complaint is being processed. Please send me your reservation number at [email protected] so that I may personally review your contract and any observations that may be noted regarding the return of the vehicle. I will get back to you ASAP.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jul 03, 2015

Dear Sashsolar,

As per our response on other forums, Please note that our basic coverage always contemplates an excess (please see our T&Cs). If customers have third party coverage, such as yourself, they can request a refund from them in case of damages. Additional insurance is offered for customers’ peace of mind and always as an alternative to blocking a deposit on a credit card.

We are trying to solve the waiting time issue by opening auxiliary offices. We are also doing daily schedules to serve our customers in the fastest possible way depending on the number of bookings at every moment of the day. Also, please note that a Priority Check-in service is available for a reasonable extra fee.

We are surprised to hear that the vehicle you were given was not in optimal condition. Offering top rate vehicles is our number one priority, which is why 70% of our +37, 000 car fleet is renewed annually. We are an international company with offices in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Andorra, Malta and Morocco, serving more than 1 million customers a year (1% of which complain online).

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jul 24, 2015

Dear Leonard,

We are sorry to hear that your rental experience with us was not as expected. We apologize for the waiting time issue at the counter; we are starting to open auxiliary offices during high season and we try to organize our rental staff’s schedule in the most efficient way possible. Please note that our basic rental fee does not include comprehensive insurance coverage, it is a CDW (collision damage waiver) with excess. Our customers have the option of blocking a deposit or purchasing additional coverage (Relax Cover: http://bit.ly/1GJf1rv, http://bit.ly/1MraL8g ). Please note that, even with additional coverage, our rates are among the most competitive in the market.
    We thank you for your feedback; customer comments help us to constantly improve our services.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Sep 28, 2015

Dear Paul,
    Please send us your contract number at [email protected] if you would like us to review anything. We are very surprised that the vehicle you were given was not in optimal condition; offering top-rate vehicles is our number one priority, which is why more than 70% of our cars are renewed annually.
    Victoria

• GoldCar Rental's response · Nov 26, 2015

Dear Peter,
    I am very surprised of what you mention. Regarding coverage, the official and continuous procedure for our rental staff at the counter is offering the two options available. They offer our Relax Cover, covering the excess, as well as the option of blocking a deposit on the customer’s card to cover any possible damages during the rental period. This is explained on our webpage and on the brokers’ we work with; if customers purchase third party coverage, such as yourself, they still need to block a deposit and can later request a refund from them. Our Relax Cover charge is also specified in the contract you signed and the invoice you were given.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jan 27, 2016

Hello All,

Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] in regards to your situations. I would be more than glad to personally look into your cases and resolve them.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Feb 04, 2016

Dear Sverken Caron,

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] so I may look into what seems to be a highly unusual case. I'd be more than happy to help.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Feb 08, 2016

Dear Gerdy B,

I would be more than happy to help you. Which email address did you use? I replied in the other thread with my email address. Just please make sure to send your Goldcar reservation number so I may be of assistance.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Jun 17, 2016

Dear Amanda and Angela,

Please note we always tell our customers to mark any damage present on the car at the time of collection in order to not charge for those when the car is returned back.

If you have any questions please contact me at [email protected] with your query and I will answer ASAP.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Aug 01, 2016

Dear Customer,

We appreciate that you have shared this information. We will speak to that office regarding what seems to be a highly unusual case.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Aug 10, 2016

Dear Eddie,

Please note that Goldcar services have highly improved since 2012. The company is evolving day by day to meet customer's expectations and to provide the best customer experience. We invite you to check all the improvements that we have implemented by booking with us again.

• GoldCar Rental's response · Sep 26, 2016

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

You can open a formal claim on this link: https://www.goldcar.es/en/incidencias/ and our Customer Service will deal with your case directly.

We are sorry that our service didn't match your expectations. Please note that Goldcar does maintenance work to every car before delivering it to a customer.

• So
    Sophie Lewis Nov 19, 2009

Just been through a series of communications with Goldcar at Malaga Airport too. Was charged £89 for special cleaning of a Ford Focus. When queried I was sent two photos: one random one of the inside of a car with the upholstery all soiled (vomit/toothpaste?) and another of the number plate of the car we hired. This apparently 'proves' that it was us! We know for a fact that we DID NOT soil that car. We only took it to and from our hotel and consumed one bottle of water during the journeys. My credit card company (MINT) were very helpful and did dispute and chargeback the money but Goldcar took it again the following month.

Given the appalling situation of the review above, we got off quite likely. You have my every sympathy. That is unquestionable theft. Like you I feel compelled to let as many people as possible know about Goldcar - they are thieves. DO NOT USE GOLDCAR.

• Ge
    GerryQ Nov 26, 2009

I had a problem with Goldcar but I got 8000 Euros back. If anyone wants to know the best way forward - send me an email.

• Fr
    FrancesUK Feb 21, 2010

We hired a car from Goldcar in Jerez and returned it 2 days later in Nova sancti Petri - We only used the car to get from the airport - we never went anywhere in it except to return it to Nova Sancti petri office. When we returned the car on 20th December there were no marks on it and the chap at the Nova Sancti Petri Office checked the car over and was very happy with it. when we returned from Spain I noticed they had charged me an extra 250 Euros so when I asked what this was for they said the windscreen had a crack in it, Myself and my husband know there was no crack in the windscrren. When I challenged this they said when it arrived at the garage it had a crack in the windscrren and when I asked for the receipt it was 3 days later that the car was examined. When I think of all the custom I have put there way and yet they will not refund my money. WHAT A RIP OFF THIS COMPANY HAS NOW BECOME. IT USED TO BE A GOOD COMPANY WHAT HAPPENED

• Tr
    Tracie1960 May 21, 2010

On Friday, 30th April we picked up our car
    from Goldcar based in San Javier Airport, this was booked via the
    internet through AmigoAutos agents. The booking was for 9 days in
    total. We paid in full for the car hire and 74 euros for a full tank
    of diesal. We had only been in Spain for two hours and received a
    distressed call from our daughter informing us our home address in the
    UK had been burgled and she had walked in on them. Can I just mention,
    we have car hire at least 7 times per year and have used Goldcar on
    numerous occasions, so I would think we are considered "good
    customers". We managed to arrange flights back on Sunday afternoon
    from Alicante Airport, having spent many hours on the phone trying sort
    out bank accounts, insurance, etc. I telephoned both Gold Car and
    Amigoautos to ask if we could return the car to Alicante airport,
    together with half a tank of diesal, and 7 days remaining on our car
    hire rental; I explained the circumstances and was obviously very
    upset. Not only had our house been burgled, both sets of car keys were
    stolen, bank cards, handbag, laptops etc and explained all this to both
    companies. I requested if we could have a refund of the unused 7 days
    car hire we had paid and the fuel - we were told no, and there was an
    additional charge of 30 euros as we were returning the car to Alicante
    rather than Murcia! To say I am totally appalled by their lack of
    compassion, uncaring and totally non-human attitude this company has is
    an understatement. I have emailed both concerned several times since
    returning back to the UK and they insist they are not responsible and
    its their policy to not refund any early return costs. I asked if they
    would possibly transfer the 7 days to another 9 day booking I want to
    make for June; again I been told no. I have informed them I will be
    writing my experience on car hire review websites and cannot believe
    how we have been treated. I will never use either of these companies
    again, even if it is policy, surely a bit of compassion and
    understanding would have not cost these large companies anything. I
    not only feel like I have been robbed by burglars, but also by these
    compaines. To add insult to injury, whilst we were handing the keys
    back into the car park office, the car was promptly driven away,
    obviously they were getting ready to re-rent it out yet again and
    charge for it, yet again...

Chris Hates Goldcar Jul 07, 2010

Goldcar are a disgraceful company. They do charge for a full tank of fuel but the cost of the full tank is way more than you would pay at a petrol station in Spain (they charged us 94 Euros) and we didn't even use quarter of it. The other thing they do is bill your credit card in GBP without asking you and then do the conversion from Euros to GBP at an uncompetitive rate and add on a further 2% surcharge for the privilege (they also have the nerve to print on the reciept that you have been asked and have agreed to being charged in GBP - I certainly never was). They appear to be a cheap company when doing online comparisons but the reality is they end up being expensive by overcharging for petrol and fraudulently taking more money from your credit card by choosing not giving you the option to be charged in Euros which would be cheaper. The staff were rude and the whole experience left me disgusted.

• Du
    Dutch frauded customer Aug 16, 2010

We were ripped off two times by this company. We did not contact them directly but were appointed by www.carjet.co.uk to rent from them.
    In 2008 my husbands credit card was charged of 350 euros after departure. This year they robbed us of +/- 150 euros in spite of letting the car beeing checked by the lady at Gold Car rental desk in Valencia.
    I contacted the local police today. We hope to make them allert about this issue. Could everyone do the same?

To whom it may concern at goldcar.es and carjet.co.uk,

This year we booked our car hire via Carjet.co.uk again by Goldcar (totally unwilling, because if we would have knowed in advance we would have absolutely avoided to come even close by this company again! ), and having the experience from 2008 (zie bottom of this email) we feared that we will be robbed again by Goldcar of Valencia Airport.
    Upon arrival at the pick up point we checked the car, we made photos of the car, of all the scratches that were already done to it, and checked whether the spare wheel was in place. We could not reach the spare wheel as this was fixed in big screws underneath the car.
    When we brought the car back to the airport, prior to our flight back home, om 3rd July at 7-8 am, we asked the lady at the desk to come outside and look at the car and see that everything was there. We told her that in 2008 her company abusively charged our credit card with the reason that we might have stolen the spare wheel. What a reason!! We do flight and drive holidays, and have no place in our suitcases for such spare wheels. Besides, what should we do with a Citroen Berlingo spare wheel while we drive not French cars back home, it would not fit at all.
    Any way..the lady looked at us in a strange way, saying with no words, that she would know of the malpractice of her company and that we bothered her confronting with the truth. I asked the lady to confirm that all about the car condition was all right and that NO ADDITIONAL costs will be withdrawn from our credit card after departure. She confirmed, after inspecting the car, and looking at its state, gas level, kms, and spare wheel, saying that all was in place and all right, and that no costs will be added to our transaction. The very overweighted Spanish driver, a man around 30-35 yrs old, who brough us to the airport with the shuttle van, was also present at the moment and can confirmed my conversation with the lady behind the counter.

And yet...what wehave feared of, has already happened. On 5th of July 2010 Goldcar carhire, has charged the Visa card of Mr. O. Soepenberg again, for something around 150 euro, less than last time, so thank you ;-///. No explanations are given for the transaction absolutely nothing.
    I think that this Goldcar company is regularly doing illegal transactions ripping its clients off.
    I want to ask carjet.com and carjet.co.uk no to do business with this company again, as it shadows the business experience of their UK web clients.
    To Carjet.co.uk I want to ask to do everything possible to reimburse the transaction made by Goldcar on 5th July 2010 on the visa credit card of Mr. xx
    If ever flying to Valencia again we will definitely no longer book through carjet.com or carjet.co.uk, as long as they continue to do business with Goldcar.es.
    This company is doing illegal practices. Somebody there in the company is robbing all the clients and making good money out of it.
    So please carjet.com and carjet.co.uk be alert, and protect your name and your clients, as this miserable company is no to be trusted.
    We expect by the end of this week to have our money back, thank you, or otherwise we will press charges against both companies.
    Regards,
    frauded customer

John, Denmark Oct 27, 2010

We just got back from Mallorca. we also had a bad experience with Goldcar.
    We rented a Focus at the airport to drive out to the Ilettes. Instantly when we drove, we noticed that the tyrepressure was too low. We went in to a gasstation and pumped it.
    the next day the pressure was low again.
    I called the and asked them to replace the car or wheel.
    They told me to come out to the airport again. They told ME to change the wheel, which I refused as it had been flat from the very beginning.
    It was absolutely impossible to talk to them in a sensible way. They woulden`t answer the phone. All the managers hed just left, all the time and so on.
    Furious, I drove out to the airport on a semi flat tyre. I told them that I wanted to cancel the contract. They agreed to give me back 3/4 worth of fuel. The insurance I had paid for was lost.
    Also, at the time when I signed the contract they had stated nothing about a special 2% exchange fee plus a lousy rate.
    Later as I went through the contract they had added New conditions above my signature. FRAUD!
    I paid with VISA so I expect VISA to reject any further payments to these crooks in Spain.

John, Denmark

• Be
    bev maudsley Nov 07, 2010

We have just been ripped of by goldcar for 90 euros for damage to a hire car that did not happen no details given
    no evidence i am very annoyed would not rec

• Yo
    Yoni Ascher Aug 18, 2011

I have been robbed too by these swindlers in the same method: an extra charge for fueling the car (73 Euro for a car with a tank capacity of max 50 Euro + extra insurance charge in France, which covers nothing). I intend to sue them and look for others who wish to join me.
    John, Israel

• D6
    d63 Sep 27, 2011

I recently hired from Goldcar, booking through Autoeurope.co.uk. for a week's rental from the office at Malaga Airport.
    I was mis-sold extra insurance which I had already purchased at the time of booking, charged above the rate for a full tank of petrol and then my credit card, Mastercard, was billed for pounds sterling rather than euros.They did not give me the option about this and did not ask, which means they exchanged at a rate well below Mastercard rates, with tax added as well. Does Mastercard choose to ignore this sharp practice when granting licences to use their system? If so, they are implicitly falling in line with this 'scam' and they should not allow companies like Goldcar to be a participant.
    In handing over my credit card, I would assume that my business is with Mastercard, a company which guarantees and insures their transactions and this practice I feel slips Mastercard, and other card companies, alongside these disreputable firms.

Be aware of Goldcar and if you can, choose a better company.
    D, UK

• Wh
    Whitey_boy Dec 22, 2011

I rented a car from Goldcar (via HolidayAutos) in Mallorca in August. I didn't mind too much paying £71 for a tank of petrol for a car that obviously held nowhere near that amount as I was getting a fairly cheap deal - but I did have to give them my credit card details. Two days ago (20 Dec) I noticed a £26.22 debit on my credit card from Goldcar - that's 4 months after my last dealings with them, with no letter or explanation as to what this payment is for. I haven't tried to contact them, I just immediately raised a dispute with my credit card company (Barclaycard) and will let them deal with it.

It's not a huge amount of money but I would not trust one bit a company that would remove money from your account with no warning or explanation. Beware of these cowboys and take your custom elsewhere.

IW, Scotland

• Po
    popolski Mar 19, 2012

J’avais loué une voiture à Ténérife chez Autoreisen l’an dernier, aucun problème.
    Cette fois, pour une semaine à Lanzarote, je fais un comparatif, c’est Goldcar qui ressort le premier : 123€ la semaine, pour 1 voiture de type BB ( Fiat Punto en l’occurrence)
    du 9 mars à 23h59 au 16 mars à 16h. Le prix normal était de 108€ avec un extra de 15€ pour avoir la voiture sans faire la queue au guichet.
    Arrivée à 23h30, on me demande un signature, et la voiture est à moi, plein d’essence 7/8.
    Le lendemain, je m’aperçois que ma facture est en fait de 226€.
    Au téléphone, on me dit que le plein d’essence est payant ( 63 € pour un réservoir de 45litres rempli à 7/8, et une essence à 1.10 € le litre ) mais qu’il n’est pas utile de remplir le réservoir au retour, soi-disant pour rendre notre séjour plus agréable .
    Personnellement, j’ai utilisé pour 40€ d’essence, d’où une fraude déjà de 23€.
    Ensuite, on m’a appliqué un surcoût de 30€, car je suis arrivé après 23h, l’heure prévue était pourtant bien notée sur la réservation.
    10€ de plus car j’aurais refusé la voiture proposée ( sic) et ils m’auraient donné une voiture d’une classe supérieure ( BB sur le contrat de réservation, BB sur la facture)
    Cerise sur le gâteau, mon compte bancaire a été débité de 242€

Tous les clients Goldcar rencontrés sur l’île se sont fait pigeonner de la même façon .

Christiane Haberl Apr 11, 2012

I completely agree. Never again.
    1. There were three reps and only two of them attending clients. The third of the stupids was just looking at me and had me wait until one of the two busy attendants were done (for 20 minutes).
    2. They block 2.000 EUR from the card if you do not take their insurance. (Full version of what happened: they tried to block 2k from my credit card but it did not work, I called Chase and they did not even see the transaction and confirmed I had over 3k available. The Goldcar sales offered to buy their insurance of over 100 EUR for some days. When I mentioned to chase that Goldcar was trying to force me into buying their insurance, the Goldcar rep tried another credit card machine and suddenly everything worked properly!)
    3. They force you to buy a full tank for over 100 EUR for an Opel Corsa. What are people going to do that only take a short trip to surrounding cities?
    It is very sad to say this, but this is a Spanish fraud company!!! (Makes me feel uncomfortable that I also have a company in Spain...)

• Am
    a.mckee Jul 08, 2012

I agree with all the comments regarding GOLDCARS. I hired a car from GOLDCARS, Before I returned the car I had the car washed and valeted. The car was inspected on return by their agent at Malaga airport who remarked "how clean the car was". 6. weeks after I returned the car they charged my car an extra 112 euros for valeting. My numerous emails to goldcar have been completely ignored.
    BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE BIG TIME RIP OFF MERCHANTS. THEY WILL WAIT FOR AROUND 6 WEEKS AFTER YOU HAVE RETURNED THE VEHICLE THEN PUT EXTRA CHARGES ON YOUR CARD. I AM NOT AN ISOLATED CASE.
    BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE.
    THEY WILL HAVE YOU.

• Da
    David34 Aug 09, 2012

Rented from Goldcar in Spain. Took a "special cleaning" charge of 89 Euros. Car was perfectly clean when I returned and then sent fabricated pictures to "prove" car was very dirty and justify illegal charge.
    These guys are huge scams. DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!!!

• Da
    Darren the Dissatisfied Sep 12, 2012

We too have been robbed of €130 for fuel. The car holds 60 litres, equating to €2.16 per litre. The current price locally is less than €1.50. Also we will probably only use a quarter of a tank and then they will sell MY fuel to someone else. Pirates!

mad cow Dec 06, 2012

Tenerife south... One hour wait to get car booked despite having booked online!
    Charged 130 euros for a full tank of petrol that we didn't need as we had only to travel a short distance.
    Purse lost in the car was returned by next customer to Goldcar complete with money and cards. When eventually returned to me, the money was missing and no one will admit to taking it.
    Where is there head office? No one seems to know!!!
    Do NOT use this company!!!

• Vi
    Victorfurious Dec 24, 2012

Be aware !
    Goldcar is also robbing its clients at Faro Airport !
    They charged me 90 Euros for a VW Polo diesel fuel tank (45 liters) witch costs around 63, that was 3/4 full when I returned the car !
    I had also to pay an extra for renting a diesel (witch I didn't ask), and they tried to force me to buy extra insurance (another 150 euros ) . And I have still to check my Credit Card for further rip-offs.

• Fr
    francoa Apr 24, 2013

i picked up and returned a fully fueled small renault (clio) after a week's use. was charged 71.39 euros for fuel under their
    Full-Empty fuel policy, having missed their fine print admonition to return the car empty. clerk said "computer can only
    charge for a full tank." customer service (complaints) said in effect tough luck, no exceptions.
    reading the above horror stories, i would fully agree that goldcar is an outfit committed to full-scale scamming and should be shut down by spain's ministry of commerce for abusing it's license to rent cars. apparently it exceeds it's business charter by "selling"fuel instead of replacing it.
    i'll be on the lookout for any activity on my credit card from goldcar and will advise it to not pay anything beyond the bill i left their office with.

• Fa
    Fab55789 May 11, 2013

What looked like a bargain became way too expensive with Goldcar! I rented a car with Goldcar at Girona Airport: in their terms and condition you have 3 options for the fuel but in fact Goldcar forces you to choose the full/empty option charging you a lot for the petrol which you are bound to leave unsure for most of it. Also Goldcar charged me extra insurance to go to France,
    they block 600 euro for not taking their full insurance ( i have a 3rd party insurance with AXA ) ...in the same situation Hertz Germany blocked 200 euro for an Opel Astra estate...here they blocked 600 euro for a Ford Fiesta...total cost = 63 (initial cost) + 171 (petrol +
    extra insurance France ) euro = 234 for 5 days...totally uncompetitive!!

• Al
    Alb3333 May 15, 2013

Worst experience ever, they refused to give me a car because according to their "secret database" that they share with other companies I could be dangerous or with debts without giving any further explanation... This is just a new way to get more money deleting less profitable bookings in favor of other ones, or to solve over-booking problem...

If it happens you can sue them!

• Du
    Dublin Brian Jun 11, 2013

BE CAREFUL BEFORE YOU BOOK WITH GOLDCAR
    I booked a car through AutoEurope and paid 84Euro for 8 days, quite a bargain, the car was rented with Goldcar in Malaga Airport. I know there is an extra charge for petrol and it appears that 80 euro is the going rate for a small car, we had a Fiesta. It took an hour and a half to get served by an agent, it was all very quick and no explination as to what was happening, just there is the key and sign this, it came to 125 euro, I thought that was the car hire and the petrol, we had already paid the car hire so I thought it was a receipt for all the transaction. Stressed after an early morning flight and the long wait I signed and picked up the car. All that was ok, but the excessive charges taken from my credit card wwere not explainded. I have tried to contact Goldcar in Malaga, once by phone to be told my original payment to AutoEurope was for petrol and not the car hire. 2 emails to customer care, or as I now now 2 emails to no customer care.
    Be careful the cheapest is not always the best, I have rented from Goldcar and found them ok, but they must have changed their payment policy to get as much money as you can, rip off the customer at all cost and make no contact with them if there is a complaint.

BrianDublin

• Nn
    NNJJLL Aug 11, 2013

GOLDCAR is a SCAM! Stay away!
    I found on the Internet several forums and statements from more than 3.000 people that were robbed by Spanish car rental company GOLDCAR. Unfortunately not in time, as I recently got robbed too. Operating within EU laws, I would claim that GOLDCAR’s business model is illegal. Hopefully someone one day stops them from ruining people’s vacations.

I hired a car from GOLDCAR in Lisbon airport, using CarTrawler – all basic insurances included. When picking up the key’s at GOLDCAR’s new counter in Lisbon airport, the GOLDCAR lady tried very hard, to sell me additional insurances. I’m used to this, knowing it’s a part of their commission model, so I refused. Never the less, the GOLDCAR lady continued to repeat, that she recommended an additional insurance, and after answering “no thanks” seven (7) times, she told me that this was a “big mistake”, and that I for sure would “regret the decision”. She even told it in a very odd and rude way that made me feel quite uncomfortable. Working with business and sales development myself, I’m normally quite tolerant in cases where sales people get commission on their sales, but this was too much.

Now, after some days in Portugal, I returned the car as picked up (with some big scratches around, that I fortunately got marked during pickup). The guy at GOLDCAR drop point checked the car, didn’t find anything that wasn’t already marked, and then asked for my copy of the papers. After a few minutes he returned, went to the very dirty wind screen, wiped the dirt away on a 10 cm area in upper left corner of the wind screen and pointed out a microscopic, 0.5 by 0.5 mm tiny white dot placed at the edge of the wind screen. It was so tiny, that if you didn’t know it was there, you would never see it – even standing right in front of the screen with total clean windows.

I immediately felt the “setup”. Why would he suddenly come back and wipe the dust of in a 10 cm area, and point out something that you would never see, if you didn’t know it was already there? I immediately claimed that this small white dot never could be categorized as damage, and that it probably already was there at pickup. I mean, we are not talking about one of those 1 – 2 mm small craters caused thrown-up pebbles. We are talking about a tiny white dot, smaller than a single, white sugar particle, and only in the absolute top surface of the glass.

But no, GOLDCAR demanded 400 Euro for a new wind screen. They claimed that they needed to change it for “security reasons”, and I was shocked. I felt this as a really unethical way of doing business. In pure anger, I went over to the cleaned, “pickup ready” cars from GOLDCAR, and documented with my camera, that 7 out of 21 cars (30%) had even bigger “cosmetic” dots on their wind screens. How could they send all these car’s on the street, if a tiny, tiny white dot, at the very edge of the wind screen far from drivers side, made up such a big security issue, that the wind screen needed to be changed?

It’s probably needless to say, that my arguing didn’t last at all. Despite my protest, GOLDCAR kept 400 Euro of my deposit, and we all know that this wind screen won’t be changed, and we also know, that the next customer won’t see the small white dot before it might be pointed out by a GOLDCAR employee when returning the car. Being very cheap on the search engines and then robbing people afterwards seems to be their business model.

Shame on you GOLDCAR!

• Tr
    Travelgurl Sep 19, 2013

Never EVER use Goldcar, or Holiday Autos. Here's my experience: Booked a car through Holiday Autos online for a holiday in LaManga, Spain, picking the car up at Murcia airport. Go every year and usually use bravocarhire.com and Solmar - who have always been fine and straightforward, but this time went with others as they had a cheaper quote (ha!)

I had prepaid the car rental (£141) and knew I also had to buy a full tank of petrol (88 Euros), which they would only take on a Visa Debit card. I paid, then the hard sell for insurance started. Knowing this is just a way for them to get more money, I refused, so they said I then had to take a swipe of my credit card (not my Visa debit) against an excess of 6000 Euros!!! I told them this was insane, but they said if I didn't give them the swipe or buy the insurance, I couldn't have the car. I reluctantly gave them my Amex credit card and they took a swipe, gave me the receipt and I got the car. A week later, I returned the car, undamaged, and all was well... Until I got my Amex statement, and saw that I had a payment of 96.40 Euros and 99 Euros, four days apart, from a company called 'La Manga Club, Los Belones Car'. Having a further look on the credit card swipe they gave me, I noticed a payment of 96.40 Euros at the bottom that I hadn't been notified of.

I immediately rang Holiday Autos - who have been DREADFUL at helping me and dealing with this situation. When I told them what happened (after having emailed my complaint as they don't have a customer service line to call), they called back a week later to say they'd spoken with Goldcar, who said the charge hadn't come from them and that was that. Naturally I objected, claiming I had the swipe from them, but when I looked closer I noticed the address on the swipe wasn't Goldcar, Murcia airport, but La Manga Club. The people at Goldcar were telling Holiday Autos that I must have gone and hired another car there (let's not even bother asking about the logic of why I would hire another car on the same night). When I asked the Holiday Autos rep to ask them about the excess - as they must have taken one since I didn't buy their insurance - they provided a final invoice which showed I'd approved a 600 Euro swipe on my Visa Debit card. Which I hadn't. This then became an issue of my word against their fake documentation, and I have lost. Holiday Autos have told me there is nothing they can do to help me, so American Express are now following up their own investigation, which could take 8 weeks. In the meantime, I am more than £190 out of pocket on what was meant to be a cheap rental.

I believe Goldcar (in Murcia airport at least) are running a scam. Banking on people not reading their statements properly, thus adding the odd amount on here and there and getting away with it,

My lesson is to not go for the cheapest car hire, read reviews extensively, and share this on every forum so no one ever has the misfortune of dealing with Goldcar's thieving and Holiday Auto's inadequate and upsetting service. (Apologies if you read this elsewhere in another forum but I am going to try and post this as extensively as possible)

• Ad
    adrianp Oct 29, 2013

I absolutely agree with the above comments. I found our what Goldcar were intending to charge for petrol and insurance upon collection of a car at Palma airport and I declined to take it. I cancelled the reservation but there is a 40 euro fee for cancellation. I am glad I cancelled, although I think 40 euro for cancellation is outrageous when cancellation was because of undisclosed charges (insurance and full tank of fuel)
    However I think I got off lightly compared with some customers who got charged massive amounts for mythical damage, missing spare wheels, cracked windscreens, etc.
    Someone should stop these companies trading. We also have to beware of the bucket shops selling car hire, as you don't know your deal is with Goldcar until after completing the transaction. We booked ours with rentalcars.com who are equally guilty of fraud by dealing with these highly notorious scammers.

• Go
    Gordon Streeter Jan 11, 2014

I rented a small 4 door car from Almeria airport from Goldcar via a third party and have been using them for years without any problems.
    However after returning home in September I received an email from them (Goldcar) saying that they had swiped 600€ from my credit card as I had damaged the sump and sent a picture of a sump and a picture of the number plate.
    I happen to be a mechanic and have been for 50 years, also I have fitted many of those sumps on that particular make and model of car because they are notorious for being easily damaged, so much so that I keep a couple in stock.
    I actually buy these sumps for £40 trade and you are only allowed an hour to fit them (according to autodata time)and with oil and filter the charge is normally approx. £200
    When I protested the reply was "this is our policy"
    My credit card firm fought it for me and at the moment seem to have won, but only time will tell !
    And yes they all charge a fortune to fill them up with fuel and it's just about impossible to return them empty, I dare say if you ran out of fuel in the car park they would try and charge you for something !!!

• Go
    Gordon Streeter Jan 14, 2014

Dear Victoria R
    I appreciate you replying but most "normal" people don't take too kindly to having money taken out of their bank account without at least having the common decency of at least pre warning them !
    As regards the "repair" that I didn't know anything about, I suggest that you find a mechanic in future that can fit a sump to that particular type of car in a lot less time than you charged me, I know that you are claiming "loss of hire" but you are charging me more than the initial over two week hire charge that I paid, so you are saying it took all that time ? Being in business for 45 years I understand logistics and customer care, it appears that Goldcar should have a rethink !
    It's a pity as not only have you lost me personally hiring one of your cars at least four times a year but also friends and family that use our holiday home.
    Last of all if people can believe even half of the complaints on various complaint blog sites about Goldcar then that is still too many !!!

Martena Smith Apr 09, 2014

first of all i have to start off by saying that i have rented from Goldcar many times. Generally have always been given a brand new or nearly new car. so i have never had any problems with their vehicles.
    However, last week we arrived almeria airport. Small airport. There were approximately 3 flights in at that time. The queue for our vehicle at the Goldcar desk was 2 hours long. Almost as long as the flight. I have waited an hour or more for goldcar in the past. This was very bad though. I will never ever use Goldcar again.

• Ca
    cathy reid May 14, 2014

I am just back from a 5 day break in Italy and really wish I had reviewed GoldCar before I went.I booked through Rentalcar.com and never again to both companies.I purchased excess protection through the 3rd party and on arrival at Rome was told this was useless but only after asking why my expected charged of 37 euro for an additional driver was now 252 euro.The lady under duress said 100 euro for protection, 100 euro for fuel(on an opel corsa) and the bal for the driver.Utter rubbish.My own car is far bigger and only takes 80 euro to fill.After taking ages to process and driving home to me how i was unprotected and would have to pay 1200 euro if anything happened which would be very likely by the way she was going on I finally went to the car.The same car that was covered in scratches that were not logged on her copy of what the condition was.She refused to come to the car and told us to fill in the sheet ourselves.All through the holiday the car's full power was 65 miles and you felt that you were driving uphill even while on flat roads.On delivering back the car the same lady was present at the desk and her customer service skills had not improved.Loadly greeting me as the "1 with no insurance" she took 15 mins to come and check the car which she did with a magnifying glass(in an effort to keep all or some of the crazy dep of 1200 not 800 as quoted online).Eventually she said all was ok but reading all these review's i am not worrying that they will rob my credit card and i will have all this trouble the other's have had.I have already complained to RentalCar.com and am reporting both companies to the relevant authorities.SCAM artist's the pair of them-do NOT hire from them!!!

• Ne
    neil morris Jun 17, 2014

Lets hit GOLDCAR where it really hurts!
    Everyone that has a rental from them with full insurance should drive the car into the nearest sea/wall/ lamppost
    Cause as much damage as possible before returning the mess to GOLDCAR offices and leave with the satisfaction that their insurance policy will soon be increased in price to a level which will drive them out of business!!
    We can do this if we unite against them!
    p.s. take full precautions to protect yourself and any other road users from harm when purposely damaging your rental car. Sugar in the fuel tank is also highly effective but less noticeable

• Mi
    Michael Stockfleth Jul 17, 2014

Do NEVER use Goldcar as rental car company...NEVER!!
    As one said, it's the Ryanair of car rentals...and that's not positive!
    Rented a car on the web for Palma and 1 one week, got an extra fee on 120 euro for insurance and 120 euro for a full tank...which they wanted to re-pay when car was returned and to see how much gasoline/diesel you have used...we deliverd the car with 75% tan full, and got less than 10% in return...SCAM!!!

• Ro
    Ron y Jul 27, 2014

STAY AWAY from GOLDCAR
    They use scam to steal your money .
    They don't have the cars the offer (Octavia is a similar to Passt for them, they never had or have one)
    Firs they over charge for the fuel .110 euro .
    They offer extra insurance of 170 euro for 11 days and if you will not accept at return they will shoe you the smallest scratch you did not see
    ( they will not show you the car history so the same scratch is used for every one hiring the car )
    Then you are charged hundreds euros from a 1100 euro deposit they take at the start.

If they can do this so long time and to many customers it is also a problem with SPAIN as a country hoe needs tourists .

• La
    Laoise Aug 07, 2014

Just checking my accounts for 2013. Paid Autoeurope 154€ for 10-day car hire from Faro last September. Turns out the actual cost of the hire was €448.91. We were charged €294.45 for the car at the airport and didn't even realise this was additional. We also did the queuing for 1.5hrs. What a rip-off! Don't hire with this company.

• Pa
    Paulgill Aug 16, 2014

Just returned from Spain where I had the misfortune to use goldcar at Alicante airport. Arrived after midnight and when I got to pick up the car (a ford focus) it was clear it had been in various accidents. Both front wings were damaged, panel beneath passenger wing was missing, covered in scratches and dents, door seals on drivers side were hanging off, parcel shelf was damaged, the car was dirty and unbeknown to me at the time, the cigarette lighter didn't work so my sat nav died after 3 days.

I returned to main terminal to complain and the goldcar assistant (Sergio) couldn't care less. He was rude, didn't listen, talked over me, told me he knew what I was going to say etc etc. I did not want to drive a car in that condition but he refused to change it and maintained the car was mechanically sound. As it was the early hours I reluctantly took it and complained 3 times by email. Goldcar still haven't responded. I phoned after 3 days and the customer care advisor finally offered a replacement car to the heap of junk originally provided to me. However, they wanted me to drive back to alicante airport (45 mins away, with no functioning sat nav) to collect the replacement and fill it up with petrol! I requested a refund but they refused. Needless to say I didn't return.

On return to the UK I discovered that they charged me €30 to clean the car (sand in the boot apparently! Imagine going to a beach resort and getting some sand in the car). The price of the petrol refund was laughable especially given how much they actually charged me for a full tank (around €140!!!). They had also converted my bill to £ from € without an appropriate explanation and the exchange rate is in their favour.

I complained on return home but I've still not had any response from them. I am going to inform watchdog on bbc1 and complain to my credit card company. I'm also going to leave as many online reviews for goldcar as possible. If goldcar happen to read this, I'll save you the time and effort of a re-reply. My reservation number is 7116355

Comments

• To
    Tometuna Nov 04, 2014

Me and my family have used Goldcar several times and have - until now - newer had any issues with them. But now we have ended up in a worst case scenario for beeing accused of stealing one of their cars. We did a quick drop off at Malaga Airport and handed over the carkeys to a person at the garage-office. Everything went smoothly and we checked in to our flight back home to Sweden. One day after returning the car I got an email from Goldcar telling me that the contract had expired and I was requested to return the car as soon as possible. Which I already had done! They charged me for 40€ from my creditcard which was a penalty for not returning the car which - of course - was returned. In the email they asked me to contact them as soon as possible which I did, I called the telephonenumber in the email but the person I talked to explained I was calling the wrong instance. I had to answer by email and have now (3 weeks later) emailed and emailed without any reponses. There's no headquarter or no other telephonenumber to contact Goldcar, just an emailadress to contact them - and they don't respond (I've tried with three different emailadresses). I've contacted the swedish police and other helpful instances so that I'm prepared if they should go any further.
    I've newer in my whole life met a more irresponsible company! First accusing me for stealing one of their cars and then not respond to my emails. I've details over the course of event and my wife and son are witness to all of this. I adwise no one in the whole world to use Goldcar! Stay away from them and use a serious car-rental company!

• To
    Tometuna Nov 07, 2014

Ok, thanks to Victoria R I finally got the news I was waiting for: I'm not suspected for stealing a car from Goldcar. It was all a mistake and the only complain I have is that it took so long to get answers. But I'm really happy that I'm not have to think about this anymore.

Sashasolar Jun 30, 2015

Ok, I tend to be a fair person and rarely over exaggerate, but really, this was the worst customer service ever (and I am not talking just car hire. ... ever).
    So, after two beautiful days in Lisbon, we came to the Lisbon International airport to pick up our pre-booked, pre-paid car from Goldcar. And it was a shock to see a long queue to their desk, a queue that span through a long corridor with some people standing outside on the sun. People with small children, older people, families, many are tired after their flights. People at the start of the queue were waiting for five hours to get there.
    First we've attempted to cancel the booking and re-book with one of other companies (prices there were a bit higher, but no queues outside their desks). But you couldn't cancel that pre-paid rate... we've tried using their online check in option hoping it'd speed up or process. No success. .. We called Holiday Autos, our broker, they couldn't do anything for us. Over one hundred people were trapped in the queue.
    We started queuing at 14:00 and got our car at 18:00.
    Once we reached the desk, the hidden charge saga has started. No wonder why every client took them so long to process: almost every client was arguing, asking questions, complaining. Some were coming back after getting their keys and checking the cars. One couple had to come back as their Fiat Punto was missing a side mirror :-)...
    Of course there was a push to buy a very expensive CDW insurance from them. Because we had a third party insurance, we had to go, check our car, mark all the damages (ourselves), bring the paper back after waiting in another, but shorter, queue. And as an additional punishment for not buying their CDW, we were told we had to stand in this long queue again to drop off the car at the end of our rental :-) this is not acceptable.
    The car itself was relatively new, but had a lot of scratches. I wonder if we didn't notice anything at the beginning of our rental. Would they claim we are liable?..
    I expect a lady from Goldcar will respond to this review saying she is so sorry we had such a terrible experience, but this won't change anything. The queue will still be there so will the hidden charges and rude, tired, stressed staff at thier desks.
    I do not recommend this provider.Pay a little more and choose another company. Beware and stay away from the Goldcar!

• Le
    Leonard Crane Jul 16, 2015

I booked a car a Ford C-Max through Goldcar to collect at Mallorca Airport on Saturday 27th June 2015.at 12.30 pm. I was in the queue for almost two hours and the booking process took about 25 minutes even though I had booked the drivers in on line.
    It was over lunch time and the staff went off to take lunch and no lunch time cover was provided so six staff were reduced to one or two staff members for most of the time. Priority bookings cause further delay with people being able to jump the queue.
    I was told they had 800 cars booked out.
    I had full comprehensive insurance cover booked through Goldcar.
    At the end of the booking in process I was told there is one further matter; I was told I had to leave a deposit of Euros 1, 200 against damage to the car or pay an insurance premium of Euros 120.00. I was told I had to be warned Goldcar would deduct Euros 100 for every small scratch they found.
    I paid the Euros 120 otherwise we would not have got the car. It brought the cost up to about the same as reputable companies
    Even though I was 2 hours late collecting it the car was not ready and no one could find the key.
    One reason for the delay was the people at the front complaining about the delay and poor service and the additional insurance charge.
    Leonard Crane Hook Hampshire

• Pa
    PaulG15 Sep 07, 2015

Goldcar screwed me too!
    How many complaints about fraudulent malpractise do this [email protected] company have to commit before someone in authority does something about it. What do they do all day in the European Parliament? Shouldn't they be protecting consumers against these rogues. Unfortunately the man on the street gets screwed over time and again! If you know your MEP, give him/her a right earful and tell them to get off their fat over fed a$$es and do something to earn their money, rather than debating the size and shape of imported bananas and such like.

Never ever be tempted to use this outfit. Also beware when booking through an online broker... insist you are told who the supplier is. Cancel if it's Goldcar.

Just as an example a picture of one the fine cars they forced me and my family to rent in Italy. Not a panel left unmarked.

• Pe
    Peter Jeffery Nov 25, 2015

Hired a car in Tenerife last week with Goldcar. Not informed or offered extra insurance which I would have declined as I have car hire insurance through iCarhireinsurance.com. Charged £109.66 for 7 days insurance which I did not need. Have emailed Goldcar but have received a standard reply. Contract number is 8886394 for Victoria the Goldcar representative if that helps
    Peter Jeffery