Gain CityFailed air conditioning unit and no refund

M

I purchased an air conditioning unit from Gain City at the end of March which broke down in June. Up till September the air conditioner kept breaking down and Gain City refused to replace it or give me a refund. The case ended up in the Subordinate Court and due to the Lemon Law, Gain City was to give me a full refund by Dec 6, 2013. However, as of today, there is yet to be a refund despite an order from the courts.
Gain City calls itself a "trusted choice", but completely disregards the law and its consumers for the sake of profits. Its unscrupulous behavior is disappointing, and downright unethical. To my fellow Singaporeans, my advice is to avoid making any purchases from Gain City.

• Ag
    Agus Lee Jan 26, 2017

I should have read all reviews about GC first before deciding to purchase my AC. Just have very very frustrating and bad experience with them too!
    Here is the chronologies:
    1. On 23 Oct 2016, I purchased 2 sets of Mitsubishi (MIT) AC system 2 (invoice number: SORCS-[protected]). It was delivered and installed on 26 Oct 2016. However, after a few days, 1 pair of AC (in the common bedroom which is connected to the living room) have a problem (not cold).

2. I called Mitsubishi and they sent their technician on 7 Nov 2016. The MIT technician checked and confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the unit and they advised me to call the installer (Gain City).

3. Subsequently, I called GC and GC technician came on 7 Nov evening, they only did gas top-up. However, after a few days, the problem happened again.

4. Again, I called GC and your technician came on 25 Nov 2016. The GC technician again said that the same thing - there is nothing wrong with the piping or joint and then they did another gas top-up.

5. After few days, the problem reoccurred. I called GC for the 3rd time and GC arranged MIT to check. On 5 Dec 2016, MIT checked by dismantling the unit one by one. They found out that one unit of AC (in living room which pair with the common bedroom) actually works well (no problem). However another unit (the one in common room) still have the problem (not cold). They diagnosed it and again said that it is NOT the problem of the AC unit.

6. on 12 Jan 2017, MIT and GC technician conducted a JOIN inspection. GC technician didn't do any inspection of the joint/dismantle the unit to check it thoroughly, they only simply said that it because of the 'gas pipe leak" which is very different from their earlier statement they mentioned. He noted in Job Order form "gas pipe leak".

As the problem still persist, after the JOIN inspection (between GC and MIT), I asked the GC technician to get his manager to contact me. I also called GC customer service to do the same but until today (14 Jan 2017) none from GC return my call.

My concern and question to you after I consulted the issue to the second opinion (my AC contractor):

1. When the MIT technician dismantled the unit to check the AC unit one by one, they found out that only one unit (from the pair) is having the issue, while another one works very well. Logically, if it's due to pipping, both unit will have the same problem (as they're linked in 1 system). Thus, it is more likely due to the joint issue. Your technician SHOULD CHECK the 'JOINT' by dismantling the unit and check the joint thoroughly (WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN DONE BY GC TECHNICIAN).

2. The GC technician seem not professional, didn't check thoroughly and simply decided the outcome it is 'piping issues', which is different from their initial statement without any checking of the 'joint issue'.

3. Before I purchased the new AC from GC, my AC contractor has also checked and told me the pipping is ok.

Now, GC offered me to change the pipe which cost 1600 SGD just for 1 system! WTF!

Conclusion: NEVER EVER BUY AC FROM GAIN ####