Fpl (Florida Power & Light)deposit demand

P Review updated:

I am writing in hopes someone out there gets angry enough to file a class action lawsuit against FPL for unfair utilities practice. I lost my employment Jan. 8 2009 and because of a mistake on an account (Nov.of 2008) the check was returned. I found out this happened and I paid it by cash right away, but today Feb.20 2009 I received a threat from FPL that if I did not send an additional deposit of $184.00 by Feb 24 2009 power would be shut off. I wanted to see if others were having the same problems with Florida Power & Light so I checked online and was not surprised to find many complaints. I did however noticed something interesting, FPL demanding different amounts from different customers.
I was wondering do they (FPL) set these extra deposits on a whim?
If you want to know what to do, write Gov. Charlie Crist and tell him what this bully is allowed to do to all of us. Want real change? Fight Back!!

• Bi
    biminibrad Feb 21, 2009

i have the same issue, this strong armed robbery. i got my cut off notice today for the 24. i still have a job and never bounced a check. they said i was late once 3 days and once 10 days. i wrote a letter back to them trying to explain that is not late and they need to wake up. they want 2 months for a deposit which is $684.00 btw i have a 815 cedit score! i sent a letter to help me howard at channel7 but no response. next stop consumer affairs for the state of fla. this bull [email protected]#$%^&*(

• Cc
    cce52 Jul 21, 2017

@biminibrad It is a scam. How did you receive the notice ?. Don't believe any phone call saying so.

• Fa
    familysurviving Feb 24, 2009

FPL is doing this to everyone. I have been late only twice, in 10 years, and just received a notice for a $627.00 deposit. And my bill is not even late yet. My bill is not due until March 6th, and they have already sent out the threaat. I called customer service, and they said, pay the deposit or auto-pay! Bottom Line! This is not right! Does this mean that people out of jobs (most of america!) will be living without any electric? In florida, that is like living without food and water. Are they tryting to kill off Floridians? We need to do something -how do we begin?

• Da
    Daverio7 Mar 06, 2009

They have to make salary for their $30 per hour employees.

Our needs do not matter. They do not care.

• I agree that something needs to be done. I received a demand for a 603 dollar deposit in December of 08. I have been a customer for over ten years. FLP bills every four weeks, therefore, they receive 13 monthy payments. This is robbery and unfair. I have paid all bills on time, but have not paid this deposit. Therefore, my electricity was shut off even with my regular payments. If the Florida Public Service Commission will not act to protect us, what rights do we have?

• Ho
    Hopeless Mar 10, 2009

I completely agree, and I work for the State of Florida Attorney General Office. Trying to complain did not help at all. I paid my deposit of $350 and received my first month bill for $50, two weeks after I moved into my apartment. I was late paying my bill due to I thought this could not be true I just moved in, and plus I thought I would receive a real bill so I paid 2 days late. O.k. my service was disconnected due to I was late, and I was told they have 24hours to restore service. Who gave you 24 hours?. The re-connection department, so are you working the complete 24hours to restore service? NO, they stop re-connection at 7:00 p/m and will not start re-connection again until 7:00 a/m. So you are not doing all that you can to re-connect and you gave yourself 24hours??? When did the work order go out to reconnect It was generated when the payment was made (YESTERDAY), .. However it was not given to a rep until 9:30 a/m to start re-connection process this morning. This is so misleading??? And the Deposit goes by what the bill was for the previous tenant if the previous person bill was around $150 or $125 a month than you as a new tenant deposit will be $300 to $350 it is not based on your credit only on the previous person. Even if it is a new house/home if service was ever connected at the address that is in use. and to complain #1-800-342-8554 Public Commission (GOOD LUCK WITH THEM).. :(

another consumer Mar 28, 2009

Thanks for the phone number to complain against this bad company, they know we cannot cancel the service so they do whatever they want. I am a customer for over 12 years on the same address, last years I paid one bill late and they asked $600 deposit, because I complain they agreed to make it in installment, but last month the due date was Sunday and I paid over the phone on Monday, yesterday a FPL representative, without uniform, or any identification harassed my mother and my 17 years old son, he said he was from FPL collection and he need a check or he would disconnect the service. My mom is very old and she end up with blood pressure over 190, so I took her to the doctor. I wonder if it is legal to harass an old lady. I called FPL and asked if they would pay the doctors billing? No response just a PO Box address for their legal department, no phone number, no address in Florida only in Texas, why Florida Power Line has no address in Florida?
    I wish someone out there help the consumers against FPL abuses!

FPL Customer Apr 07, 2009

Well... What can I say? The only people complaining about an additional deposit or about FPL in general are bad paying customers one way or another. I think people should do some research online go to google.com and compare other companies with FPL policies and rates, you'll be amazed of the rates, fees and the company policies in general of other utilities. I think FPL should not be the only company allow here that way you can choose what company do you want to have the service with, I'm sure if the customer is a bad paying customer with FPL will also be a bad paying customer with any other company they have service with. If you check online and read the additional deposit policy by the way approved by the FPSC you will see that FPL is not doing anything that could be a problem to them or illegal. An additional deposit is billed when you have at least 2 months of late payment history on that account within the last 6 months of service. The last guy that says was billed a deposit for one late payment is not true obviously he's lying, and about the collector? If you have to have a collector collecting the payment is because the payment was already late, a final notice which is a notice to avoid disconnection for non payment was issued and also expired. None of the complaint and issues that this people have are valid, I'm sure if you run a company you would want your customer to also pay for a service you are providing. People thing FPl is a charity company that if you have a sick person or if you have children's you are not going to get disconnected if you don't make payments when the truth is, if you cannot afford to have children's don't have them and if you need assistance that's why you pay taxes every month request assist from the government directly because FPL is not a government agency assisting customers that don't pay their electric bill.

• Fr
    frankie Apr 27, 2009

Times are hard here In the united states and we can't even get our own government to help the people. They give our money away and then the economy falls and yet they still give fpl the right to increase deposits.It is not about people who can't pay on time .They can't pay until yhey have the money and they will pay during that month.What happened to Humanity?Some people are not rich and just get by with what they can do .It is not like anyone could get another job anyway right now.It makes me very upset that our government won't do anything about this and i know it has been brought to their attention.What do They think we are made of money ?There are no competitive companies either.What is that?america is not america right now i feel like i am in a prison made to be a slave to money.Give the government all your money or else!taxes, increased deposits, increasing bills, increased food.The government should just go print all the free money they want and give that to whom ever they like and leave America alone !We won't remain america if they keep treating us this way.

FPL Monopoly May 22, 2009

Obviously the jerk who posted a comment 44 days ago is an FPL rep. the only power company avail to FL is FPL so they do whatever they want. MR. or Mrs 44 days ago comment guy listen to this, like hundreds of us here in south FL we had to close our company in Feb 09, bills still being paid on time but very tight. Anyway I made my payment online like usual, got a confirmation code and auth # like usual, and a week later received a notice in the mail for an additional deposit amount due to a late pymt. When I contacted FPL they told me it was a system error on their part which is why the pymt was applied to the account the next business day (making the pymnt 1 day late). 44 days ago FPL rep hope your still listening, FPL then told me there was nothing that could be done and the deposit stands. After arguing this for days I got in touch with a "Service Manager" and she told me if I didnt like it to go somewhere else. Thanks FPL i wish I had the resources and time to do whatever it took to at least be a thorn is your monopoly. You suck and karma is a b$%@h!!!

• Tb
    tbone Jun 11, 2009

Today, 6/10/2009, when I arrived home from work, I saw a notice on my door that my FPL service had been disconnected. I knew that there had been a payment due on the account, but I didn't realize that service was about to be interrupted. I immediately called and paid my bill over the phone. This, of course, means that I have to wait "up to 24 hours" to have my service restored, which translates to "tomorrow". There are several problems with the way this is/was done:

1. The notice placed on my door gives me no time to act to prevent service interruption. Other utilities (gas, water) also place notices on the door, but their notices act as final warnings that service WILL BE interrupted if the bill is not paid by noon TOMORROW. This would be a simple enough thing for FPL to do - the collector could leave a warning notice and (as the other utilities do) tack on a fee to the account for the courtesy of coming by the house to leave the notice. This would give their customers one last chance to pay the amount due before FPL takes adverse action against them.

2. I am enrolled in FPL Email Billing, but no notice was ever sent to my email address indicating to me that there was an impending service interruption. I have every email that FPL has ever sent me, and at no time did I receive such a notice. I was told conflicting things by their customer service people – one told me that final notices are sent out by both email and regular mail, but another told me that their policies dictate that after they send a reminder email, if the bill is unpaid, they then send the final notice by regular mail only. My question is - if I'm signed up to receive all bills by email, why wouldn't they send a copy of the final notice by email? It makes no sense at all that they wouldn't do this, since it would cost them nothing, and if I were to receive an email from FPL with the subject "DISCONNECTION IMMINENT", well, I can guarantee you that I'd drop whatever I was doing and log in and pay that bill immediately. Instead, the only emails I have received didn't indicate that there was going to be any disconnection:

--On May 21st, I received an email that said the following: Sometimes things can slip our minds. So please accept this friendly reminder that ALL or PART of your FPL bill in the amount of $211.91 will be overdue on May 26, 2009. If you have already sent in your payment, or scheduled a payment online, thank you. However, to ensure prompt payment of your current bill, we offer the time-saving links listed below:

Note that this email didn't say anything about a deadline to pay this amount that was going to be overdue on 5/26/09. It simply said it would be overdue on that date.

--On June 6th, I received another email from FPL. Nowhere on this email did it state that there was any potential service interruption. The only notice on this email about payments stated: Currently, your account has a balance of $335.20, due on June 25, 2009. I hope that someone at FPL can understand that a customer who gets an email that says a balance is due by June 25th would assume that they had until June 25th to pay that balance. Barring any other notification in the email concerning possible interruption of service if the overdue portion of the balance was not paid immediately, that would be any reasonable person's assumption.

--My May 2009 bill from FPL states the following: Payment received after May 26, 2009 is considered LATE; a late payment charge of 1.50% will apply and your account may be subject to an adjusted deposit billing.

Notice that this is the only warning on my May bill about late payments - no talk of service interruptions of any kind if the late payment is not received by a certain date.

--My June 2009 bill from FPL states the following: Did you forget? $203.32 of this bill is past due. If payment has been made, we thank you and apologize for this reminder. -Payment received after June 25, 2009 is considered LATE; a late payment charge of 1.50% will apply and your account may be subject to an adjusted deposit billing.

Again - there is no talk in the June bill of service interruptions. Any reasonable person reading my June bill would see that yes, I had a payment that was past due, but that I was still in the "friendly reminder" stage, where FPL is reminding me that I need to pay that past due amount.

I understand that I was sent a final notice through the mail, but the reason I signed up for email billing in the first place is because email notifications are much more effective for me. I read every email, while I sometimes don't get a chance to open every envelope that is delivered to my home because I am often not home for extended periods of time. Had I received said final notice through EMAIL, in addition to through the regular mail, this problem would not have occurred. Had FPL made some effort to make it clear on either my May or June bill, or in the May or June emails that I received to tell me my bill was available, that service would be interrupted on a certain date if payment was not made, this problem would not have occurred.

Had I paid my bill on time, this problem also would not have occurred - so please don't think I'm shirking responsibility for that. I'm simply asking why FPL's bills contain confusing information that misleads consumers into thinking that they have more time to act than they do, and why, for a customer who has indicated they prefer to receive correspondence via email, they wouldn't send a copy of the final notice using that method in addition to the paper notice.

• We
    West Palm Beach Jul 17, 2009

Neither am I a bad paying customer and I have excellent credit, bought a home in West Palm Beach and was still charged a deposit for 1mo. Which was the average amount of 1 month usuage even though I wasn't living there at the time. I was told by a FPL rep that this is a standard practice so I believe him more than this idiot stating the deposit was because you're a bad paying customer or not. The problem is FPL is the only game in town and they know it. If you don't like their game you either deal with them or move out of state. All the large energy companies forced the smaller companies out for this very reason. Politician don't do anything about it because Energy is big business and alot of them get kickbacks. They are no better than Madoff!! Something really needs to be done and the sad thing is most Attorneys won't have anything to do with a lawsuit. It's going to take FPL killing some old person or baby because they shut their lights off for no reason or schedule.

• We
    West Palm Beach Jul 17, 2009

If anyone is interested in legal action against FPL contact me at [email protected]

• Br
    Brianl Aug 11, 2009

You all have to relize, it is the CEO OF Florida Power. We been waiting for florida power to fix a problem for three whole years.

We have a item on the pole hanging by one prong. We trying to prevent it from falling and hiting the line and causing alot of people where I live to have no power.

Same employee as last time came out here today and said he is disguested that florida power didn't do anything. He called his boss, and his boss said it be done by the end of this week. I don't belive that one bit. The guy also said Florida Power assume to let it fall and cause problems, instead of fixing the problem, before it causes other problems. It's been two months by the way.

All these big companys, the CEO is geting rich off the customers and don't give a care what happens to their customers, as long as they have enugh $ to support themsevles and be rich.

Three years this about.

• Ca
    Camilotrujillo Sep 03, 2009

I also have the same problem with FPL. (thugs). They treat people with no respect even having a new born baby at home I sent them a payment then a couple of days later they shut my power off. I called to find out what was going on they said it was a mistake by their part and that somebody would turn it back on within 24 hours, mind you it was 2 pm I pleaded to have someone come and get it on before night time but they dont care the power didnt come on to about noon the next day. I was so furious... I hate FPL i wish i knew how to fight them how to start a petition for a class action law suit against them. If anybody is reading this and has the knowledge or ability to get something going against these criminals please let me know. Now i hear they are asking to raise their rates by over 30% thats rediculous its too high as is... :o(

Camilo
    [email protected]

• Ag
    Against unfair policies Sep 04, 2009

Count me in on a Class Action filing. Don't worry about the dork above that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. he'll get his. This is robbery. And they have been doing this for a long time. What happened to all the money to replace the power poles that they have been taking from us every month in our bills since the beginning or time? this money was for improvements, yet we get hit with a Hurrican and off they go to our gov to get more money because they had to replace all the poles that should have already been replaced. And the dork above probably doesn't work for FPL because alot of good folks that work for FPL feel the same way we do.

Will

• Je
    jennifer74 Sep 22, 2009

my name is jennifer and i live in east palatka florida with my husband jayson and 3 small children.
    we had our little girl on june 16, 2009 and we did get a month behind on our bill we didnt mean to but willow was very sick she almost died thank god she did not we already have paid them a $250.00 dep last year when we bought our home but now thy have charged us another dep for being late with our bill.my husband works for fedex and i will start with fedex also but not till oct 14 2009 we dont make much money at all, but now our bill has to be paid today and it totals $704.79 because of another dep now they will have $500.00 from us in deposits this is very unfair to all of us hard workers.Please if anyone has any info they can help me with.
    [email protected]///or///386-937-6207
    thank you and god bless you all...

• Iv
    ivychane Sep 23, 2009

can someone pls tell me what can we do?? to this ###S.. they dont realize and dont care about people with small children and disconnect your electricity.. I betcha 100 to 1 that the CEO gets free electricity.. and those ###ING employees sound like a damn machine, , I will be the first one to start a lawsuit against FPL.. this is totally unfair!

• Mz
    MZL Sep 30, 2009

I lost my job 2 weeks ago and busy trying to find another. Got an FPL notice that if I dont pay my bill of $770 for two MONTHS, and an additional $770 deposit my power will be diconnected.
    I dont know who to turn to, there is no one to speak to, and any attempt to explain a dire situation falls on deaf ears. I am a single mom of two kids, with no other income except what I can provide.
    I asked them how can it be that Im paying $360 a month for a 1400sqft townhouse, when I dont have a dishwasher or a working waterheater? all my neighbors pay around $120!! no one cares.

Since when has it become standard practice to be so unyeilding, especially when so many people out there are having problems. BANKS need a bailout... what about PEOPLE?!

John DL Oct 16, 2009

I'm new to the whole FPL thing, I'm relocating from Washington DC to Miami. We don't pay deposits on utilities here. FPL won't turn on the power at my new house that I'm moving into next week in Miami. They said that thier decision on requiring me to pay an upfront a deposit was based on the decision that Equifax made for them. FPL refused to do a conference call with Equifax so, I got "John" from Equifax on the phone and we did a conference call to FPL. FPL rep then said 'again' that they based thier decision on what Equifax told them, the Equifax rep, with no hesitation spoke up and said that they do not make those decision for FPL. He then proceeded to tell the FPL rep that I had a 788 credit score and have never missed a payment, EVER and my credit was considered as "EXCELLENT".
    I work in the financial industry and know how important credit is. This is F****** BS!!! Here I am being a single parent with two kids moving into our new house and they have a legal 'ROBBERY" procedure so they can use my deposit $$ as they see fit to pay thier bills or collect interest on it.
    I know that in Northern VA, if there are infants, minors or elderly people living in the property, the local governments gets involved and makes them turn or keep the power on and they must accept what ever payment you can afford. Is this the same for Florida????

John DL Oct 16, 2009

John DL email: [email protected]

• Cs
    cstomer Oct 29, 2009

Every person complaining about additional deposits has had late payments, find one customer out there that has never been late with their payments and you all will see they have no problem with FPL. I am sure after you go and call and complain to FPL, you hang up and call AT&T or other service provider. I have some advice that will save you all money, from "hiring lawyers", and "filing lawsuits, " use all that money that you will spend on that, and...Pay THE BILL ON TIME.

• Dr
    drb33 Dec 24, 2009

Agree same complaint wanted to charge me 662$ more deposit. Need to file a complaint again them with state of florida am doing it for the second time as this is the second time they pulled this crap with me.

• Za
    zaida Jan 03, 2010

FPL is well know for there unfair pratices, because they are a monopoly and they ara also back up by the Government they do as they please, their practices are abusive, asking working people for $500 and $600 hundreds deposit is very abusive, specially at a time like this when so many people are loosing their jobs. on topthey do not even apply this deposit to future debts or
    reimburs the costumers after a year of service as ATT and other company do, they just pocket the money. Definitely the Goveror of Florida should take action on this regard.

fplsucks Jan 08, 2010

cstomer. Youre an IDIOT!!! You must work for FPL. Sounds like it with that attitude. They are LIARS and cheats and dont know their ### from a hole in the ground. The average person wouldnt know their bs from the truth but all they tell is lies. They need to be shut down.

• Un
    UNFORTUNATELY HAVE FPL Jan 12, 2010

I understand that you should pay your bill on time but at times you can't help it. My husband and I both work but I don't always get paid on time. I have look for another job, but none out there. I paid my bill expecting a pay check that was past due and my employer said he would pay. Well it didn't happen. So my check bounce. In a perfect world you don't pay by check if you don't have the money. Its not a perfect world for some of us. I have 3kids and can't afford to have the power off for 24hours. Not to mention the food you have to throw away. So I ended up having to pay a power bill for 3 weeks in a row due the fact another bill came due between all this. Which was hard but you can't go with out power. My shut off notice said it would be shut off on a friday. I try to get a payment extention and couldn't because of the check problem and being late. I do have almost a 700 deposit with them and my bill is $225.00. Well the check that bounce was my second in a year so now I have to pay by cash. Which is my fault and thats fine. But they don't have a pay location in the same city I live in. There isn't a office in the city I live in or near me by any means. I tried to pay by credit card and can't do that either. You can only pay their bill by credit card with a master and discover card. If you pay at those places that say you can pay power bills there it takes up to 4 days to apply to your bill. Fpl says its them and the place says its there with 3o minutes. So I called up on monday ask if they could get me to the end of the day.(My husband gets paid on mondays) They said no I should of pay be friday and they can't help me. I asked them why can't you pay using a visa card they said its not them its western union. I told them that wester union takes visa then they said cause visa didn't think their customer should have to pay a fee so don't except them anymore. So now I have to drive 25 miles to pay location and hope my power isn't shut off. You shouldn't believe everything the site says is therm terms and I hope the people that do never have to pay their bill late. There is 2 power companys in the town I live in. The other power company works with you on your bill and easier to pay them. I don't think that any of us is asking for FPL to give us free power. They could work with the people a little more. I also think that something should be done about them being able to have 24 hours to reconnect your power. The other power company in town comes right out and turns your power on. They do charge extra for it. You can't be in house with kids with no power or DCF be knocking on your door. So you would have to pay for a hotel or stay with someone. I don't think anyone that has their power shut off wouldn't pay extra for to be turn on. My grandfather pays his bill 2 days late due when he get his social security check. They sent him a notice him a notice that he has to pay a deposit of 400. My grandfater didn't realize he got it but paid his normal bill. His power was shut off. He is 100% in a wheel chair. He was in his recliner when it was shut off. Thank God He has a cell phone. We had to go over there and get him out of his chair due to the fact its power recliner. Then he had to stay with us. He couldn't charge his wheel chair or anything. No one on a fix income or any income should have to stay in a house with no power cause they have 24 hours to come out. If they are going to charge all these deposits they should come right out to reconnect. Its the real world if you pay late fees but when your deposit is more than 3months bills that is crazy.

• Br
    Brooks Courtney Feb 06, 2010

I AGREE! They have done it to me too! I've been a customer for probably 20 years!!! They FORCED me to sign up for auto withdraw as the only way to avoid the extra charges! Now... rather I have the money or not... they will withdraw causing my bank account to be overdrawn!
    Brooks Courtney
    941-284-6849

• Jd
    JDL'sConscious Feb 17, 2010

John... this is HYSTERICAL... your comment about excellent credit and a 788 score when your in default of the divorce decree to pay back money you, essentially, stole from me... and the single parent business... move there with Juliana and not her children? Doubtful... you are a HOT MESS piece of work. Consider yourself lucky if you got the utility in your own name... this in addition to a plea agreement of assualt annd battery versus felony robbery and assault, not paying the judgement ordered... you name it... the list goes on and on.

You know we're aware you're in Miami and the garnishment will follow you shortly, right? And if you bought that new house, a lien will be slapped on it faster than you can come up with another lie.

Suffice it to say, I've had ENOUGH of turning the other cheek. Next up, uploading the protective order and anything else I can find that proves yor guilt that you so readily deny. Your lack of accountability and responsibility makes me wonder why you haven't just collapsed under the weight of your dark and broken soul.

Oh... I just notice I can attached a photo here... a great place to upload the protective order.

John DL Feb 18, 2010

This is HYSTERICAL...Who knew that complaining about a power company would bring out a nutty ex wife. After three years of bliss and silence, you track me down through a complaint board. This only reinforces how much of a nut you are and your BS filings of charges were dropped and listed as dismissed because your a nut job!!! The fact that you try to keep up with my life only shows that You are a single, lonely, miserable person . Your comments show that. I've moved out of the state and out of the country for that matter and on with my life. I suggest you get a life and do the same or crawl back into your hole. I also suggest that you talk to your attorney about defamation of character and most important, "harassment" before you go out an post things like this. Go get a life and stay out of mine!!!

• Jd
    JDL'sConscious Mar 02, 2010

Is the power company in another country? Miami is not another country John... just considering sinking to your level after all this time. Not tryin' to keep up with your life at all - just making sure you know you will be held accountable to what the court ordered. We, my attorney and I, have the orders to prove it and then, of course, there's the protective order from the above mentioned "BS charges". It's a wonderful thing having the truth on one's side... you ought to know that from all your court appearances and losses. Too bad you don't possess the character or intergrity to make good and be responsible. Empty, empty, empty broken black heart and a cowardess.

• Di
    Dick Harvard Mar 23, 2010

I pay my bills on time also yet I got screwed by FPL also. It was my mistake, and my first mistake as my bank account number was entered incorrect. At least this is what I was told as you cannot review how you did this. Very Convenient. Anyway all people can make a mistake but fact, FPL does not consider your payment history when they do this. This is their opportunity to bank up some money and earn much interest on 10's of thousands of people. I looked here to only see if there was something that could be done but I see this is just another 911 story, as most of us who have the since of a rats ### know what really happened yet they all jump up and down about a health care bill only not wanting it to be a "niger" that saves their sorry prejudice ### from other FP&L organizations, like health insurance company's and what we call doctors here in what USED to be the greatest country in the world. I have my recourse as I do a job now and then for FP&L and they will call me again soon I hope and trust me, my cost are going up and up the same way they did me, SURPRISE! Enough for three of you who are being extorted to pay these EXTRA deposits. Shoot I used to be angry when a relative, an FP&L employee who was ripping them off BIG time. Turns out most of the FP&L employees driving those repair trucks are unloading everything from copper cut off on sub stations to snap on tools and thousands of tie wraps, THE BIG ONES, etc etc. This relative is long gone now but people, this is why were getting screwed for more money. FP&L employees are screwing them and get this, they don't care. I saw unbelievable things happen during an FP&L strike YEARS and YEARS ago that would blow your minds! I was only 10 or 12 at the time and NO it wasn't my DAD.
    No way Jack, not my Father, but his brother and my uncles working for Bell South ? WOW, they always had batterys and giant Bell South Lamps etc etc. Hey, up yours FP&L AND AT &T, what goes around I saw come around. Trying to mix me into this, is the same as pissing up a rope, a skinny one. God forgive me for this but damm this is funny. Folks, FP&L needs this money to pay their daily losses. I can't possibly imagine this pilfering has stopped. Pilfering ? JOKE, follow one of these trucks around sometime or better yet slip into one of their so called Gate Partys! FP&L people rob from the bottom up! I know, I saw much and heard more. Remember when copper was up? So do the old FP&L workers! Oh I know 1977 !
    May God continue to bless President Obama, the greatest president ever and I'm as white as white can be, Georgia White!

Mad Man 100 Mar 27, 2010

I understand now why in the "hood" people fence in their yards and get pitbulls. I hate FPL with a serious passion. Yes, my bills was late. SO WHAT! I've always paid my bill back to a zero balance. Some old jerk off of a guy comes to my door at 4:30 and demands cash. I asked him to give me 3 minutes to run across the street to the ATM and he said "no, too bad" and shut my service off. It was over $96 that was late from some billing cycle that I dont even understand. I ran out and paid at a station in cash. By the time they showed up the next evening for reconnect, stuff in my freezer had melted.

What they do is extortion. They show up and rob you. "Pay or screw off" is their attitude. They hold all the chips and it makes them an arrogant organization. NO, they are NOT a business, they are an organization. They have NO reprecussions to bad service or mob like tactics. Everything about them is evil and they have brainwashed themselves into thinking what they do is acceptable. I remember what Jesus did to the tax collectors...

FPL...be glad I am a non violent guy that owns no gun. Someday your arrogance and heartlessness is going to find the wrong guy on the wrong guy on the day. Its just a matter of time you souless POS! We have familys too and are not trying to get anything for free...we're just trying to take care of our familys. So when you go home at night after stealing peoples money, enjoy your hot dinner and appreciate your cozy home because someday it WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU.

Mad Man 100 Mar 27, 2010

WOW! Am I seeing this correctly??? 14 million???? F*cking crooks.

• Cs
    cstomer Apr 07, 2010

yes we all know its a recession but guess what people its been over for about 6 months now!! watch the news ppl! turn off your cell phone, stop eating take out, getting your hair and nails did and pay ur bill... all you idiots know how to do is cry to the fpsc so ur deposit will b waived and promise to pay ur bills on time but you never do...ah florida are ###s!!! and just so you know ur kid wont die if he doesn't have his nebulizer while you're waiting for your pwr to b turned back on!!!

Jane E. McGill Jul 07, 2010

I am also looking to join a class action suit. I have not received a bill in years. All I get are final notices. I know I am not the only one not getting their bills. It seems like FPL doesn't send out the bills on purpose so people will be late.

I was told to pay a deposit of $242.00 or pay my bill by electronic deduction from my account. I spoke to a FPL representative and we agreed that FPL would bill me based on the budget method - average out - so I would know the approximate amount each month and then they could deduct from my account. I was paid up through July so I was not concerned that the budget payment method was not immediately implemented. Imagine my horror when an FPL representative shows up today at 12 noon and demands, $58.00 or they will shut off my electricity. I honestly felt like I was being robbed.

FPL is regulated by the Public Service Commission and I sent a complaint to them today but I am terrified that FPL will show up at my door tomorrow and demand more money or they will turn off my electricity.

I am looking for a lawyer to file a restraining order and file a law suit, preferably class action. Can anyone help?

• Tr
    trackstercraig Jul 07, 2010

cstomer- Your ridiculous, i don't even live in Florida anymore and I know that the FPL is a crock of [censor]! Your 2 little comments compared to the 15 other comments of complaints means nothing, just like you nothing. No ones is "crying" about your gay [censor] scamming company, those are not tears, those are words of anger because they are being screwed over. I'll give your company up until 5 years to be shut down. As much complaints as ya'll get someone WILL end up giving FPL what they deserve, which is to be [censor] on just like they were. I would def. make a suggestion to switching company's since these [censor]s do nothing but answer phones and find out what is the quickest way to cut your power off. BUNCH OF LYING [censor] SCAMMING FOOLS!!!

• Yo
    youknowit Jul 30, 2010

to the fpl so-called customer who seemed to love fpl like it's free food. YOU ARE AN IDIOT! whoes anus are you kissing. I am never late on my BILL, but i do feel these other people's pain. FPL IS A FRIGGING RIP OFF. so shut the hell up!

• Se
    Seraphim8888 Aug 14, 2010

we are also have a problem with FPL too. we have our account set up on auto pay and a separte bank account set up for the fpl bill to be pulled from. We only deposit the exact amount of moneyto cover the bill into that account. well the monthly bill for july was pulled in full and our account was current. But five days later without even receiving a bill a charge of 2.29 tried to debit my account like five times costing me and overdraft fee on my account of 40.00 each attempted pull and a 23.00 return cheeck fee times five on my fpl account. I called to try to have an obvious computer error corrected but all i got from the rep was a attitude. they stated that the bill must have been short and that was the reason for the 2.29. But when i pointed out that the first debit covered the full bill and my account had been current they refused to listin. They would not pay the over draft fee's on my bank account due to the error or remove the return cheeck fees on my fpl account. Instead they suspended my online account and said i would have to pay in cash from now on. They even billed me another depoist for 500.00. And i had to pay the 2.29 by aug 18 or they were going to shut off our power. so after all the fees and xtra deposits and this months bill we have to come up with with 1000.00 or were [censor]ed. I tried to explain that my husband is in the army and he's deployed right now to iraq and im at home with our three young childeren and not working so we were a single income family and could not come up with that amount of in that short amount of time but they did not care. iwas told it was not their problem. I dont know what to do. I filed a report with the PSC but im not sure how much if any they can help. And FPL is the only power company for our area so we have no choice but to pay if we want electric. I guess absolute power really does corrupts absolutely.

• Ju
    Judy Leader Sep 14, 2010

I agree, I have lived her for ov er 25 years, was turned off one time a very long time ago. I own my own home now and have for over 16 years. I do pay my bill late but never where I was turned off. They demanded a 400 dollar deposit from me or let them automatically take their money out of my paycheck. I borrowed the money instead of letting them do this. It is almost like they are the Florida (Miami Mafia). They have a product we have to have and they have us over a barrel. I have a coworker that they demand 500 dollars from and she could not afford it so she let them automatically take it from her bank acct. Now this week her bill is due 3 days before her paycheck comes in. They have now turned her electric off because there was not enough money in her acct. Also they charged her a high rate for the return check. She also has to pay the bank a fee because of this. And all of this and her paycheck comes in on Friday. They are also asking for another 250.00 deposit . This woman is recently divorce with 3 children. Florida Power and LIght is a very cold hearted company. I suppose the CEO's Need to have a good Christmas bonus.

jadasmommy7 Oct 10, 2010

I just moved into a house and the person before me left a deposit, which I had no problem paying but then they tell me well you pay the deposit we will turn the power on, so I had to wait a week for them to turn it on then I paid them the money and they said well turn it on tomorrow, even though I paid it before 2! Then after I get it turned on the said you have 10 days to come up with $581 dollars to keep your power on, you need to pay your deposit now. The old deposit was 549! Now they expect me to pay another 500!!! FPL needs to get their head out of their [censor]!! All they think about it $$$

• Fr
    Frantz Mortimer Oct 15, 2010

I am Haitian and I am appalled by the lack of freedom in this country. It is like the government, president, governor, etc... keep ignoring the demands of the people and their moans when they scream injustice, like in the case of FPL' diabolical approach to overcharge its customers and force them to make unjust and outrageous deposits. I wish the Americans were a little more like us Haitians. We would Force the government and the big CEO, insurance companies and organization like FPL to do what we want or severely suffer the consequences. In Haiti, a company like FPL would have either been destroyed by now or force to change their policy or the government replaced. I know that some of you may see these procedures as barbaric, unconstitutional or undemocratic. But, when you live in an environment where the government is not responding to your pleas and they favor those big companies that keep sucking your wealth through the vacuum of greediness, and when you are aware that what used to be yours or should be yours will never be, you lose all logic and what remains in your mind is to destroy all trace of the evil. Please, do not always condemn a people that has been screwed over and over and denied justice when it goes crazy. Sometimes, drastic measures need to take place so that a solution to a problem can be reached. It is obvious that FPL does not give a care to your feeble complaints and the government you have elected will not do anything to alleviate your situation. So, it is your responsibility to make things change course and follow the direction you want. Power to the people. "Vox populi, vox Dei" "The voice of the people is the voice of God"
    In Florida, especially, the greediness of the big companies and the indifference of governors who will not admonish them has already brought the downfall of the housing market. But, some people will never learn. FPL will contribute further to the decadence of the Floridian economy. they will put people in a situation where some of them will move out of the state to avoid being bullied by a company who force them to pay more than they can afford, or by creating in the people an attitude of total revolt where they will spent months without paying. It is a small price to pay, living for a while in darkness, and meanwhile use other temporary means to gain power, but this will hurt FPL business so much that they will change their evil policy and the nasty way they treat their customers. Believe me, you can do it. You did it already with the irrational greedy ravenous snakes of the housing market who are now on their knees begging for crumbs of payment. How good it felt for them to raise people's mortgage or charge them late fees that pushed them into the brinks of poverty, until one day, they said, they had enough.
    As an Haitian, I know how to fight and suffer to get what I want. Trust me, FPL will never change until something is done. I am not advocating violence, but reach from your heart and look for a way to punish them. If I have learned one thing is that the American people is the most creative and resourceful people on the Earth. I do not expect to hear them complaining like little girls with the spirit of defeat and no power to change things around. Be the bold people whose fierceness and amazing bravery attracted me to come to the US in the first place. Be bold, stand up and regain your dignity either it from a government, insurance company, giant organization or an FPL. 'Vox populi, vox Dei. God bless you and God bless America!