FPLdoes not accept visa

N Review updated:

For the first time I tried to make an online payment using my Credit Card, things have been tight for us, just like the rest of the country.

My choices with FPL were only Master Card and Discover!

No Visa.

I would like to know why they do not accept Visa which is the only Credit Card I own and with times being as hard as they are I cannot get approved for another card.

I dont know many people who own Discover.

I thought the whole world was M/C and Visa.

Very angry! I phoned and did not get an answer. Emailed Customer Service to see if there is an explanation!

Still Waiting

• Qu
    Quique Oct 31, 2010

Weirdest t hing ever. I went to pay online using a Visa and could not find an option ANYWHERE. Though technically it may not be their fault (FPL uses Western Union for credit card payments online), they should be able to somehow accept Visa cards if they accept every other credit card in existence.

• Dr
    DRMEsq Feb 08, 2011

You would think that a company that claims to be on the forefront of technology would be able to process their own credit cards, and accept all the major ones! But, that's FPL for you, 2nd rate (maybe even lower!) service from a 2nd rate (again, most likely lower!) company! FPL rates an "epic fail" when it comes to service of any kind, electrical or customer! FPL = Failed Pathetic Losers. Too bad they're a monopoly but I'm sure they, nor their chums in Tallahassee would stand still for another option. It's all about the money to them. Your money, and my money! And they will take all of it they can get, any way they can get it, including using "questionable" practices.

cate6666 Jun 23, 2011

There is no rule requiring a utility accept any credit cards. The methods of payment types are left to the individual company.

McDonald's doesn't take Diner's Club, but they serve food. What gives?

There are other payment options - Mastercard, Check, Money Order, Automatic Draft.

Sams Jackson Nov 24, 2019

@cate6666 If this were any other topic I’d say you were a Russian troll but because that’s not logical, I’ll just assume you are either a total butt or a total tool.

jasonic Mar 07, 2012

"McDonalds doesnt take Diners Club"...this is a ridiculous comparison. My family doesnt NEED hamburgers. Electricity is essential. If FPL were a responsible provider and a ethical steward of such a vital service, they would accept ALL payment forms. In fact, it is unethical for them not to accept a form of valid payment such as Visa if they also accept MC. The truth is that Visa probably charges them a tenth of a percentage more than they want to accept . Im sure Visa and FPL's excutive clowns have battled back and forth with some sort of macho garbage and neither budged on the percentage...as a result the little guy (all of the consumers) get screwed. My lighths got shut off before because they wouldnt take Visa. IDIOTS! They wouldnt take my payment! Arrogant axxholes. They will all fry in hell on judgement day for what they do to people.

cate6666 Mar 07, 2012

Here's a secret. Electric service is only interrupted when the final notice expires before FPL receives payment on the past due balance, nothing more.

Perhaps one's arrogance is keeping them from applying for a Visa, Discover, American Express or merely noting and ahering to the expiration date on the final notice.

One final thought, a customer can opt for a cash advance on a precious MC and gone to a pay station to provide payment before the final notice expired.

See: http://www.fpl.com/customer/paycard.shtml

Sams Jackson Nov 24, 2019

@cate6666 One can only assume you work for them. You sound just those losers who defend everything trump does. Tool.

cate6666 Mar 07, 2012

Here is a secret. Electric service is only interrupted when the final notice expires before FPL receives payment on the past due balance, nothing more.

See: http://www.fpl.com/customer/paycard.shtml

• Be
    Beachsand Brad Jul 23, 2012

"Every" business in the modern world should accept VISA. Similarly, when I walk into a restaurant this is still "cash only", I walk right out. Backwoods rednecks attempting to avoid taxes. Unfortunately, we can just "walk out" on FPL. It's a government-backed monopoly on utility service. The solution is to lobby your Congressmen (and women) to pass legislation requiring FPL to offer payment by VISA. If FPL is going to enjoy government protection of its monopoly, it will have to deal with the strings the citizens of Florida attach to that protection. I can't believe I even had to write about FPL not accepting VISA. Its simply remarkable in a not-so-good "what planet are we on anyway" sort of way.

• Be
    Beachsand Brad Jul 23, 2012

*cant

• Mo
    MORGAN .M Mar 27, 2013

VISA IS ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR CARDS THERE IS Y ON EARTH FPL DONT TAKE VISE THAT IS OUTRAGE MAN AND STUPID HOW ON EARTH PEOPLE MUST HAVE VISA OR DISCOVERY IF THEY CANNOT GET APPROVE BY ANY OTHER BUT VISA..FPL NEED TO TAKE ACTION THE PEOPLE THAT HAS VISA ARE THE DETERMINE ONES THAT ARE WILLING TO PAY THEIR LIGHT BILL ON TIME BUT CANNOT THAT IS NOT FEAR AND AS A VALID CUSTOMER I AND FURIOUS WITH FPL...

• Fp
    fplsuckitowner Jul 12, 2013

Amen, FPL can sure show up ASAP when something is wrong with your meter, but accepting a VISA, well now, that could be a problem, my b$%fing city water co. charges a big fee for when ur water gets shut off, but BY GOD they accept VISA over the phone. FPL on the other hand cant explain to me why mastercard is the key to success other than the giant visa card. The fun part really begins when u hv to find that one particular store that accepts fpl pay( that posts immediately), then drive to egypt but dont forget u hv to stop at your bank first to get the cash, cause the hodge mart will not accept any other form of payment. FPL can suck it.

• Af
    Af08 Oct 22, 2014

FPL wants to insure that making a payment will be merely impossible so they can turn off your power and collect another $18 when they flip their automatic switch to turn it back on. Visa is the most common form of debit/credit cards which would be of course! Why they don't except it. I personally have been "suspended" from paying online with checking-routing number due to FPL's "F" up with numbers. And to compare McDonald's with "diner club"? wtf is diners club... Visa is internationally recognized

• Pe
    Perfect Angel Jul 11, 2015

I usually pay online, but it can take up to a whole week before the payment I made is taken out of my account, which is a hassle in itself when you depend on online banking. Because our payment wasn't taken out right away, we slipped and now there wasn't enough to cover the payment. As soon as I realized what happened, I got the money needed put back into the bank and decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and pay the outrageous $3.25 fee with Western Union so it would clear right away and this wouldn't happen again. I have always used Visa before to pay my bill, I was shocked to see it was no longer accepted. I'm stunned, confused and know that they could care less. There has to be a money issue that FPL and Visa are disagreeing on. I hate that we don't have a choice on who we do business with. It seems so unfair that we are all put in a position that forces us to give our hard earned money to a bunch of crooks.

• Ha
    harborjim Dec 11, 2015

I'm in the credit card processing industry and merchants pay the same for visa as they do for mc

Matt Alston Jan 04, 2016

I pretty sure that FPL doesnt take Visa because someone can pay using Visa to get there power turned back on and then contest the charge and Visa returns the money back and then the customer has their power turned back on and gets their money back. I believe its more difficult to contest charges with the other CC companies and wont reverse the charge until the investigation is done.

Believe me, I would love the oppurtunity to get one over on FPL. They know you can't just buy power from another company like you can with phone, internet, or cable TV companies. They know this so thier customer service is horrible and refuse to work with you on anything. Think you have a high bill? They don't care. I have the same issue with my water utilities. You have to use them if you want power, so they don't have to play nice to keep you around.

Sams Jackson Nov 24, 2019

I used to work for FPL. They are the cheesiest company on earth. They expected us to root out the customers who were stealing power but decided we should be doing it for free. When they stopped paying us the bonuses, the hits fell to near zero. Then they asked what other than money could they offer us. Good luck with that, we said. All this while the CEO got a helicopter ride to work every day. But notice they ask the Florida Senate for permission to raise your bill every year and never get told no. Who works for whom?