Food Basics Complaints & Reviewsverbal profane assault from staff

He following was my email to metro head office.

Hello I was in your store today sept 18 2011. 3-4 pm store #937

I did my shopping as I usually do at your store and upon getting home and reviewing my receipt, I noticed an over charge on on sale chicken of 74.36. I first called the store to see if we could credit the problem back on my card, we could not. I then went to the store with the chicken in question and went to the first available cashier. Her name was jen b, a short blond woman. After 5 or so minutes of her figuring out what to do she handed me a blank form that said cash back and asked me to sign it and said it was company policy. I paid with my gold mastercard so I was unsure and confused as to why I was being asked to sign a blank paper stating cash back, I refused to sign the blank document as would anyone. She insisted and I still refused and stated that I would more than gladly sign the credit card statement for the credit to be issued.

She then seems to have just lost it by stating loudly that I am an # and not just a mumble under her breath, I replied pardon and she loudly without any form of regret in front of at least 20 people or more shouted clearly # again and stated that she deals with #s like me all the time. I will admit that I was upset at the fact I had to drive all the way back to the store to deal with such a huge overcharge.

My actions were not warranting of this type of public humiliation. I went in very calmly expecting a credit to be processed on my card. I was in no way disrespectful throughout her ordeal but I was firm in the fact I was not signing something that was blank, is that too much to expect? Jen b took it upon herself to disrespect me and the very customers you serve with no apparent fear of reprimand. I know this is a terrible neighborhood and full of un desirables and she must deal with some real whackos, but I am not one of those people, I am an home owner in the neighborhood, 45 years old and university educated.

After me refusing to leave without my credit and signing something that is blank makes no sense and her throwing the chicken and throwing my exchanged product down the checkout ramp. Also accusing me of having my credit card when she had it throughout this whole terrifying transaction and again giving her more opportunity to lose it on me a little more. Again out of line and she was wrong. I asked jen b if she was fearful of losing her job over behaving like this by calling me an # 3 times loud and clear for all to hear and she simply stated again "I been dealing with #s like you for 5 years and I will never lose my job over an # like you". I gave her many opportunities to calm down and perhaps take back what she was saying over and over but she seems to have no fear of being corrected for her behavior.

She called someone else to authorize the credit without me having to sign some blank document again, she quickly said she needed a witness for this credit and after quite a few more minutes and terrifying attitude processed as expected a credit to my gold card which I gladly signed. Why was this not done before she lost it? It would have saved me a allot of embarrassment and perhaps her job.

I am very upset and was completely shocked that this person is allowed to deal with good customers in this manner and publicly yell # at me the whole time for something so simple.

I did not yell or curse or call her names at all throughout this and tried very hard not to lose it myself. I asked for a manger afterwards and another woman gave me the information. I left calmly yet extremely stressed out, it has ruined what was a perfect sunday afternoon.

I'm still in shock and would expect that you will reply shortly before I go any further with this.

One really upset customer,

verbal profane assault from staff
verbal profane assault from staff

• Gravitytheseducer May 03, 2012

KevinRichards, your comment doesn't seem that far fetched since this happened in Hamilton...stuff like that is common in that toilet of a city. The Food Basics in Hamilton are disgusting and full of crackheads I don't know how anyone can shop there.