First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Logo

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection

Having problems with First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection?

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 14, 2006. The latest review ice maker was posted on Mar 14, 2021. The latest complaint refusing to replace broken - dangerous pool heater was resolved on Aug 12, 2012. First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 109 reviews. First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection has resolved 41 complaints.

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Customer Service Contacts

+1 888 875 0533 (Consumer Sales)
+1 800 327 9292 (Renewals Department)
+1 800 444 9030 (Real Estate Sales)
+1 800 992 3400 (Service Department)
P.O. Box 7248
Santa Rosa, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Customer Service. Initial First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection. Discuss the issues you have had with First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Complaints & Reviews

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation — customer service. claim acceptance.

Just bought a new home. The inspection said the HVAC unit was operational. Since we bought the home in the...

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation — water leak from high beam ceiling

First American Home Buyers Protection Corp. is trying to charge me for a service fee on a service call I...

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation — air conditioning

I put in a claim for my air conditioning unit not working. I live in Arizona where the day time temperature...

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation — home warranty - denials - be prepared to always fight for your appliances to get fixed.

First American almost always pays to get appliances fixed or replaced. But...they also almost always deny...

First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation — the commercial is irritating and annoying

I was seriously considering getting a home warranty with this company, until I started seeing these...

First American Home Warranty — insists on payment of $2,400 for non covered items when entire job is $2,100 retail price from reputable contractor

A/C went out on May 25. First American Home Warranty (FAHW) assigned North Star Mechanical (who has a one...

First American Homebuyer Protection Warrantyplumbing - warranty

Let me start of my saying working with First American Home Buyers Protection Company (FAHBPC) has just been a nightmare when buying and being in our new home should be a wonderful feeling. We moved in November and our realtor forgot to add the home warranty into our closing, she when she had to pay out of pocket she choose this company. First Mistake we learned. We would have researched but seeing how she was paying for the mistake we didn’t think much about. Seeing all the lawsuits against this company and bad reviews and the fact that they are not even in the 10 in consumer affairs, we would have not chosen them.
Our first call was in December of 2015 to FAHBPC because the smell from the bottom of the shower drain was awful and would fill the house. They sent horrible company called advanced Plumbing who literally open the shower door looked down and just told me I need to re-caulk around the drain and that the water was leaking through there. So over the weekend I caulked waited 2 days to use and about a week later same smell, so it was not caulking there is a leak somewhere. Call FAHBPC again and they send the same two stooges out again. They say the same thing again and says there is nothing they can do. So we have a Marble guy come in as our entire shower in marble and he informed us that there are cracks in the Marble. Well you cannot caulk marble on the floor I understand around the drain, so I would expect that the floor of marble is damaged that is something that should be repaired, but if FAHBPC contractors do not say so then the work does not get done. So what am I buying buyer protection for? So two calls, we out of pocket to have someone on our own come and complete the job for us.
Our Third call came here in May 19th TO FAHBPC when we had water running out the bottom of our water heater. Called at 8am, Plumber was the Mr. Rooter, was there about 10amish, Said we need a new water heater and that if he could get the PO that day he could get if fixed. We wouldn’t be out of hot water for even one day but need the PO from the company, which he had already gotten approval to replace. By 4pm they had not received the PO So I called FAHBPC and oh the guy handling didn’t follow procedures and we still need to approve. Yes we approve, we now we have to send it over our purchasing department and it could take up to 24-48 hours for approval. Plumber called again this morning May 20th and still had not received PO. So I called and now they it is a special order and we would be lucky if they can get it my Monday. So that is 5 days at least without water. That’s no baths, for the family in the house, no cooking or cleaning for 5 days at a minimum. Now remember FAHBPC has classified this as an emergency. I asked if we have any more damage done because of the leaking water if they would cover that and they said not they do not cover secondary damage. I am like what a minute, I told you about this within hours and you are taking days on an emergency. So they suggested we shut the water off to the house. We know it can be shut off to the heater but that was their suggestion. Live without water for 5 days. And of course the guys on the phone at FAHBPS have no clue, all I get is we have process and they all take time.
When you call a plumber directly they come out and fix the issue then, there and that day. So why is so difficult for this company to make this happen. Contractor know where to go as he has worked with this company regular and know where they buy there appliances from. He just NEEDS a PO#. I am telling you this has been the worst, I would rather be stressing about how much this would have cost us 100% out of pocket and have it fixed that day then go week or weeks without hot water in our home. By the way they are not covering the repairs 100% either they are only buying the water heater, we have to pay extra because we have a pump that circulates the hot water through the pipes hooked up to ours and they are considering that modified. So we are having to 557.00 in labor and they are replacing worth 900.00.
I am telling you please buyer beware and research. We are now researching other companies and will just be out the money for another 6mo. And pay for an entire new contract else ware. Will try and update once this all has been resolved.

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation — unresolved claim for 42 days now

I first called First American on Sept 17, 2015 to report that my GE profile cooktop shorted which affected...

First American Home Warrantyair conditioning problem

On October 1st, my air conditioning stopped cooling. I called First American Home warranty and they sent out a local contractor, All Seasons HVAC, Yuma. They arrived the following day and quickly diagnosed that the coil was leaking and needs replacing. On October the 5th I called First American and they had not received any report from the contractor. We live in Yuma AZ, where the temps are still in triple digits. They received the report on the following day, Oct 6th. Since then my wife and I have made numerous calls to First American and we are told garbage about the part is on order, the following day the part can't be identified and so on. We have probably made around 10 calls so far. We have spent many hours on hold as nobody at First American works too fast. We've had Managers and supervisors tell us that they will fix the problem and now, 15 days after the initial issue, the is not even a part ordered. Temps are still in 100's but they don't care. They offered to reimburse us $150 towards a temp ac unit but for that price we managed to find a 15 year old one that will hardly cool one tiny room only. The customer service department seems to be one unorganized rabble and hold times to speak to a rep are on average about 20 minutes, then once you describe the problem, another hold for 20 minutes. Today, October 16, I have spent nearly 3 hours on the phone to First American, most of which is on hold. Now I'm being told that the part has been identified and the purchasing department have 48 hours to place the order. What about the last 15 days? Now they want another 2 days to place an order that takes 2 minutes. We're demanding a new AC unit now. The senior management need to listen to the recording of all our calls to hear the bull***t that their people are promising, and this includes the supervisors. We are both elderly, but First American don't seem to care. When can we expect to have our AC working? Jerzy & Maureen Wrzyszcz. Yuma AZ.

First American Home Warrantyhome warranty

We just bought our home in Pensacola, Florida on 8/24/15. The A/C failed the 2nd day after we closed and moved in. First American sent out 2 different techs because they didn't like the first report or the 2nd report and then denied the claim as “Pre Existing” after letting us wait around for 10 days in the summer heat of Pensacola, Florida. Now they are even saying the seller and the sellers agent knew about it and hid it. Instead of just paying the claim, they deny and blame everyone else. If you are selling offer a different home warranty company if you are buying demand a different home warranty company. One that cares about its customers more than the shareholders

First American Home Buyers Protection — lackluster response to broken ac. no concern for customers.

August 7th still no AC and hot as the place the devil lives! About a month ago my AC went out. I contacted...

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporationcentral air conditioning

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation is the absolute WORST company I have ever dealt with in my life! I have had so many bad experiences with this company; I don't even know where to start. My husband and I closed on a house at the end of June 2015. This warranty came with the house for one year. Literally, a few days after closing our AC unit went out. As a result of the incompetence of EVERY SINGLE person I spoke with at FA, we did not get our AC unit fixed for 14 days!!! That is in the middle of summer in Houston!! We have very small children, so we expected that they would treat this as an emergency or at least prioritize it some. It has been a HORRIBLE experience since my very first phone call. Here are just a few issues that I can list from my personal experience with just ONE CLAIM!!
        1.) Every single time I call the customer service line, I wait AT LEAST 30 minutes to speak with someone.
        2.) They’re customer service is HORRIBLE!! I have been told several times by a few different employees that they are not allowed to give out their last name and they are not allowed to transfer calls to a supervisor when I asked to speak with one (because they were not able to answer my questions). The customer service is HORRIBLE!!! Not only do you wait forever just to speak with someone, when they finally get on the phone, they are rude and have very limited knowledge of their services. Also, most have very strong accents that are extremely difficult to understand.
        3.) The service times are THE WORST!!! I had to wait a whole week before a contractor came out to look at the unit and then I had to wait another week before they came back to fix it. There was also a very hefty service charge from the contractor to recoup any fees First American would not pay for. This brings me to my next point:
        4.) The AC companies that they contract are terrible as well. I was told by a FA representative that I needed to call the AC company to schedule a time for them to come out to fix our unit. It took me 8 hours to get a hold of someone - - I literally called the company all day and left several messages. It was a regular work day during regular work hours. After two days of trying to get someone to call me back, they said I was given the wrong information and needed to call FA back. They tend to use small mom & pop companies.
        5.) We were told by one of the contractors that came out to look at the AC that FA instructs their contractors to not recommend any additional repairs that may be too expensive (i.e., AC coil) and they even threaten them to pull their contracts if they don't comply. If you are in the market for a home warranty company, I cannot stress this enough - - DO NOT CHOOSE FIRST AMERICAN HOME BUYERS CORPORATION!!! I would not even want my worst enemy to have to deal with these people and go through what my family and I went through at a time that was supposed to be happy and exciting as first time home buyers. I honestly do not understand how they stay in business. That is how bad they are. OVERALL RATING = ZERO!

First American Home Warrantyair conditioner not getting fixed

I have been having problems with my air conditioner since I moved into the house 2 1/2 years ago. They send someone out and slap a bandaid on it and the problem reoccurs. They have been out here at least 10 times in 2 1/2 years. Last time they came out, the technician said the unit needed replaced. Then First American sent someone else out without my knowledge and they put a hard start on my unit outside. Now my utility bills have increased about 100 a month due to the increased ampage when the unit starts. Just had them out 5/12 to service and doing the exact same thing on 5/14. They are a JOKE!

• De
              Derick D Apr 20, 2011

My family has been without air going on 2 week..Due to a company that let's contractors due customers any kind of way they please.. I fill so helpless I'm at there mercy I don't know what to do. I just need my air fixed 2 weeks ago...

First American Home Buyers Protection Corpbad service and sub-contractors

This compnay is horrible. They hire poor sub-contractors and then will not repair mistakes made by the contractor they hired to fix a home problem. This is my story: The contractor who originally came to fix the problem cut a hole in the ceiling. After that the contractor never came back to finish the job. First American sent out another contractor. The new contractor stated that there was no need to cut a hole in the ceiling and he could have fixed the issue without messing up the sheetrock. I've called customer service to try to resolve the problem and have been told that the contract only covers the rough in when access has to be made to fix something (although that access was not needed). They refussed to fix the sheetrock to its finished condition. I talked to a supervisor who referred me to a manager (Laura Rodriguez). Mrs. Rodriguez was not available so I left her a message on 1/29/13 at 1645. She did not return my phone call. I left another message on 2/1/13 at 1509 and still have not received a return call (today is 2/4/13). Since the company's hired contractor incorrectly did damage to my home that was not needed to repair the issue it should be the company who pays for the repairs completely. Additionally, their customer service should return phone calls instead of trying to avoid the problem.DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

First American Homebuyer Protection Warrantyrefusing to replace broken - dangerous pool heater

We purchased our home for one reason - The heated therapy pool which was needed for medical problems - On May 21, 2012 we requested service as our pool heater would not light (We did buy the "special" pool coverage). The Tech Came out and we showed him the rusted old bucket and shared with him our concern of it being dangerous - He said that it was a mess but that he would not be replacing it as long as he could "piece it together" because he was not about to pay $2000. out of his pocket due to the "crappy" agreement he had with First American. He got the pilot lit and left. The next morning our pool was 125 degrees! Called them back - He now said the thermostat needed replacing. We had removed the top of the unit and cleaned it as per his request. The inside was nothing but rust and crumbled at the slightest touch. It appeared that some sort of "plate" had been in there at one time but had crumbled to dust. We showed him this and he said there was no problem. He told us it would take 2 weeks for the new thermostat. 3 weeks later he came with "the wrong part" - He said he had to reorder. I was upset now - I needed the pool so he "hot-wired" the unit by bypassing the broken thermostat and told me to just keep re-lighting the pilot by hand. This worked for about a week. I was on my hands and knees in the mud daily with a lighter in hand under this rusted unit - terrified each time. I am now calling First American. More weeks go by and here comes the second thermostat. It worked one day and the pilot went out. Now we are furious - As we have said from day one -this rust bucket appeared to us to be so old and damaged that we were not surprised that "piecing it together would never work". I am now calling every day. Finally over 2 months now without my pool - First American sends out another company for a second opinion. This person looks at the heater and says it is a fire hazard and should be unplugged and red-tagged. He states - it has NO Firewall at all and is very, very dangerous and he refused to work on it with his license. Now we are enraged that our home and lives have been in danger! He sent them a full report. Again calling First American - They had "a meeting" and told me that it was decided the heater would be replaced. I was "assured" there would be no more work on this unit and once they had the bids for the job - it would be done. 2 weeks later, I receive a call from the original pool company, who want to know when they can come out to "work on our heater". I call First American and am now informed that there was "another meeting" and now they would not be replacing the heater but continuing to fix it - even though they admitted to being told by the second opinion that it was a fire hazard. I reminded them that this is not some pool in the middle of a yard but an indoor pool attached to our home - the heater is 2 feet away from the wall of our home and the 750 gallon propane tank is 4-6 feet from the heater and the wall of our home. The response is that they are not responsible for having the unit "up to code" and the fact that it was a fire hazard was NOT covered under our warranty and that they're would continue to "piece it together. Even though the second opinion made it clear that without the firewall and top plate the pilot light would never stay lit - First American is ordering another pilot light part. We are horrified and confused. It is now 3 months - No pool and still waiting for "another" part - Even though This Warranty company has been told - By a second opinion that THEY hired - that this unit is dangerous and a fire hazard - they are going to "fix it" some more. We are so angry that I am going to write complaints to every web site I can find. I am going to the BBB, the Florida Office of Insurance Regulations and Our local Newspaper - And IF we could find an attorney who could help us - we would.

First American Home Buyers Protection Inc.breach of contract

My air conditioning was not blowing cold air. I Called the company; a service man arrived and said he could not repair because the work that had been done in 2010 by a different service contractor whom had been referred to my home by the corporation. I went back and forth with the company about this issue, I had paid $500.00 in 2010 for the service. The company would not respond. The heat temperatures were in the 100's. On the eighteenth day, I had no choice but, to have the air conditioning unit replaced for $3500.00. Two days later after purchasing the unit and twenty days from the initial call, the contractor called to come and repair the unit. I am 79 years old and the extreme heat was affecting my health.

First American Home Buyers Protectionwithout ac for over 2 weeks

On 4/29 I had my AC go out in the house. I pay an extra premium for the AC unit so I have piece of mind. They sent a contractor to fix it on 4/30. The contractor installed a hard start kit to preserve the life to the compressor which wasn't covered by insurance so it cost me an extra $200 in addition to the service call fee. We didn't have extra hot days for most of May so I didn't use the air much. Then in June I turned the air on steadily and sure enough on 6/8 the AC was out again. I called First American about the issue and was told that although I am calling about the same issue, I was 8 days passed the 30 day recall period so I would need to pay a new service fee. So they sent me a new contractor on 6/10 who found that the AC unit or at least the compressor needed to be replaced. First American approved a new compressor but didn't want to use the contractor's parts and insisted to order their own which took a week to come in. On June 18 the contractor returned to install the new compressor. He had issues drying the line so the install took 2 days. On 6/19 I came home to a cool house and felt like I had won the lottery. Unfortunately, I came home to a hot house on 6/20 and called First American again. They called the contractor to come back and see what was wrong. The contractor came back on 6/22 only to find out the new compressor had blown up. First American was again notified and wanted a second opinion. The 2nd contractor confirmed that the compressor did blow up possibly because it was too big and that the dryer and suction lines needed to be replaced. Now the original contractor and First American are fighting about who is responsible for fixing the problem. First American says the contractor installed a compressor that was too big, The contractor says they ordered the right size but First American sent the wrong size. Now the original contractor is coming to get the blown compressor tomorrow to return to distributor but says the rest is up to First American. First American says they would order another compressor which will take who knows how long and I am not getting any solid information from them. Each time I call I get someone else and the story changes. All the while I am unable to stay in my own home as we have had record high temperatures over the last 2 weeks and especially over the past 4 days. I am forced to leave the house throughout the day as the temperature in my home is 90 degrees. My medication and make up have been ruined at these are to be stored at room temperature. Additionally, I have 2 eighteen year old cats who are not dealing well with the heat in the house. I have a out of town trip scheduled that I may have to cancel as I can't leave my house without working AC. Bottom line is I paid for a warranty that covers the parts that need to be replaced and there is no reason that I should be without air for as long as I have been. The contractor told me she has the parts to fix my AC in her office but First American continues to insist on buying their own prolonging this just to save money. I have been researching this warranty company and to my terror found that I am not alone. The story I am telling has been told way too many times by customers around the US. The scary part is some people had to wait months for new AC. The internet is filled with consumer complaints along with class action lawsuits against First American Home Protection.
                  I want my AC fixed now as I paid for this service. I don't believe that being without air for 17 days without a solution in sight indicates service, value, or integrity. I want First American to allow the contractor to use the parts they have to get this issue taken care of instead of trying to yet again save money and prolong my suffering yet another week or more.

• Li
                      Linocine Apr 04, 2011

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I spent $75.00 for them to send someone to fix my dishwasher and it was not fixed after 2 attempts.

They said they simply could not fix the problem or do anything about it. They are terrible. They will go out of business soon so I wouldn’t buy a warranty from them.

• Dr
                      Drugale Mar 18, 2011

First American claims to use only licensed contractors, but only check to see if they have a license with the State of Ohio. They do not check and do not care if the contractors have the necessary local licenses.

FAHBP has been notified of this and continues to use unlicensed contractors. If you have a claim, be sure to ask the contractor if they have any needed local licenses.

• Ba
                      barry943 Nov 11, 2008

be careful of this company, they sent unregistered contractors to our home to repair a furnace. The furnace had cracks in the heat exchanger. Me and my wife would have been dead by morning from gas poisioning had our pets not woke us. If there are anyone out there that has had a severe health issue involving this business please contact us, we are intiating a class action.
                      you can contact me. Barry

First American Home Warrantya/c out for almost 3 weeks

We put in a service complaint on 04/11 about our A/C that does not work. Today is 04/28 and still NOTHING. I have called and talked to 7 representatives. Still NO REP has emailed as requested nor called the tenant. Three of these representatives attempted to call the contractor and they cannot reach him by phone! I also cannot reach him by phone! I asked why they do not get a new contractor and the customer service rep said it would take longer as they have to send it to the "Contractor Resolution Center". I have a legal background and plan to get a Class Action lawsuit started if I don't get resolution quickly. There are so many that have been scammed, as I am discovering, by this company. Their advertising is false and misleading to the layman. There are laws in this country against this sort of thing, and they need to be enforced to prevent this type of company from operating in the United States of America.

First American Payment Systemsdeceptive sales tactics

Two young representatives of first american payment systems just walked into my small business without prior warning. They first identified themselves as working "with the credit card companies" and implied that they were checking compliance with "durbin's law." they asked to see a recent statement from my current credit card processor. I told them that I would not allow that based on the information they provided me. They seemed a little annoyed at that, and one of them started searching through a disorganized stack of paperwork. He handed me a card of their atlanta director of operations, who was not even present at the time. I told them that I would check my statement on my own and possibly contact them at another time. When I looked at the card and asked about first american payment systems, they replied that they are a credit card processing company. It quickly occurred to me that they were simply trying to gain my business. I told them that I have a good relationship with my current credit card processor and sent these two reps away. They were deceptive in how they presented themselves. They asked to see sensitive documents with private information, including bank account information and my sales numbers. They never gave their own names throughout the entire exchange. This is not how you do business.

First American Payment Systems — unreasonable demand from their collection dept

I had a small business in capitola, CA. I had to close the business since May09 and realized that I still...