Excelsior CollegeCPNE RIP OFF

D

I attempted the CPNE in Dec 2011, and failed due "incorrect injection placement and failure to write the careplan correctly". I passed all the classes basically on my own, practiced relentlessly from my home to prepare for "the big weekend" and obtained everything I needed to pass, only to be slapped in the face with a failure. This school couldn't prepare a CNA to work let alone an RN. During my studies it was very frustrating and difficult because there was never anyone to talk to directly to ask questions or confirm ideas. When I finally was able to communicate with a staff member, they provided very little feedback or information. I have come to the realization that this school is a joke! I have to retake the CPNE and cover travel expenses for a second time. I feel like a failure and a disappointment to myself, my family and my career due to the poor education I have received from this institution. I urge anyone who is considering this college to seriously reconsider.

• Li
    lildaye Dec 15, 2015

Nina
    Sorry to hear about what your story. Mrs. Lesamma John sounds like a nurse who was educated in India. Worked in the US as subpar
    nurse. some foreign nursed know their stuff.. but some have poor language and have no clue about the didactic and clinical methodologies used in schools here. I think excelsior should do a testing all these CE And CA before giving them a job. See if they can themselves follow the testing process. Having an RN is not a good indicator that they are well trained in excelsior ways. I think they should look into your appeal. Sounds really silly picking going on... lesamma is trying to cover up that she is clueless...collecting a nice check from excelsior.

• Ni
    NinaRodo Oct 03, 2015

I had CPNE on September 25-27. During my 3d attempt, I pass all 4 labs. On Saturday I had my 1st Care Plane : CE left me for 30 minutes; although I finished Planning phase for 15 minutes, and waited for Ms. Leesamma John another 15 minutes, from my 2d CPNE attempt I remember that 1 .5 hours very little time for providing interventions, so weighting for another 15 minutes for CE was not productive time. When Ms. John check my Care Plane, where I choose Dx.: Impaired Bed Mobility. For interventions I used :
    1) assist with repositioning ;
    2) encourage use bed side rails
    Ms. Leesamma John told me that I can not used 2d intervention. I respectfully disagree. I told her that I already used this intervention for one of my Excelsior College Care Plan, and Instructors from Excelsior College accepted it. Ms. Leesamma John left for consultation with CA. When she came back, she told me that Ms. Kaplan gave her permission for using this intervention. I asked Ms. Leesamma John if I can go to the bathroom, and she allowed me to go. I left everything on table with Ms. Leesamma John. When I came back, she open Mosby’s Guide to Nursing Diagnosis on page 540 were it said:” Avoid use of bedrails and restraints unless ordered by physician. I told her that this rules applied to 4rails, that can restrict patient but not 2 rails. Then Ms. Leesamma John told me that she could not find my MAR, and I probably lost it in the bathroom. I did not take anything with me to the bathroom . I even left my purse with her and did not have any piece of paper . Ms. Leesamma John proposed to go with her to look around for MAR. When we were in the corridor looking around one of CNA asked us what we where looking for. I told her than we lost some paper. CNE asked :”Does it paper has blue line on it?” I told her:” Yes, it does”. Ms. Leesamma John asked CNE:” Did you find it in the bathroom?”. CNE responded:” No, I found under the table where both of you where siting” . So, when CNE returned My MAR and I thank her, Ms. Leesamma John told CNE again:” You found it in the bathroom CNE told her:” No, I already told you, I found it in this room, where both of you where siting. I was scared, at that moment I realized Ms. Leesamma John did not interested in checking my skills, she already think, that I am a liar, who tried to hide MAR in the bathroom for no reason. Her words did not even sound as a question 2d time. It was sound like statement, that another person must accepted. The collage requested to sign paper about honesty. Why my CE did not believe me, when I told her that I did not take any paper with me? Why our CPNE Guide had section about emotional jeopardy in relation to patient and the same rule did not apply to our instructors. After that I was not able to control my thoughts. For this reason I want to appeal.

• Te
    teaward Apr 26, 2015

I just came home from Wisconsin where I attempted my CPNE. Prior to taking it I attended a Careplan Bootcamp and had one on one education on writing careplans. I bought the Nursing Diagnosis book they recommended and used it during my CPNE, on the first day of my clinical I wrote me first careplan using the book and the priority interventions that was in the book for my appropriate nursing diagnosis. When I finished it the CE took it and my book and then called the CA who came to me and wanted to know how I came to the outcome and my interventions. When I explained my Rationale to her; which was appropriate she came up with something else wrong with it and failed me, I moved to do my second PCS and the CE done the same thing only as I was writing my careplan she came over and added other things to the Kardex, so when I finished she call the CA again who told me that my interventions would not lead my patient to the outcome and when my rationale did prove it true she again came up with other reasons that was not correct. My support person that went with me has been a Nurse for 30 years and she could not find any reason for the failure. I also asked for a copy of my careplans that I wrote and they refused to give them to me. My intentions were to have a couple of Nursing instructors look at them and give me their feedback. I received very poor reports from the primary nurses and when I tried to get more information I was told they had other patients to care for. Also I do know that their was 8 other students staying at the same hotel and 5 of the 8 failed and all of them for reasons that were absolutely ridiculous. I have been in the medical field for 20 years and working in an Emergency Room as a Paramedic in which I function exactly like a Nurse along with the Paramedic skills that nurses do not get to do, the only difference is the pay scale. I have trained new graduate RN's in the art of being a nurse so it is not like I did not know what I was doing. So my advice to anyone considering Excelsior College's RN program to research and read the comments and see the amount of failures from the program. I am by no means finished with the situation because I attend to challenge the failures and if needed contact lawyers for fraudulent advertising. I know some one out there is going to tell me to put on my BIG GIRL PANTIES ON and except the fact that I failed but guess what I do have my big girl panties on and attend to stand up for my rights because I know they failed me unjustly. They could not even come up with any good reason for not taking my rationales for my careplans. So I guess it is right when people say " Those that can do and those that can't teach!" So I will continue to DO while I investigate how to either get my money refunded or another chance at the clinical free of charge in a different location and not with the same CA and CE's because they all looked like they haven't worked in the real world of nursing in several, several years if at all. I don't know how they can advertise as being STUDENT oriented when they are actually MONEY oriented. I do hope someone from Excelsiors reads all of these negative comments and I hope other potential students research before giving away their money! I hope there is a class action lawsuit against them because I will be right up front to testify.

• Cp
    cpneclassaction Nov 08, 2013

Play the Excelsior way? Really??? Ha! Power hungry fat old bitty nurses who get their kicks out of hazing people...they are sick people. If you happen to fall into their kind graces, you pass, as you get "helped along" otherwise you are doomed. Seems we got another paid EC spokesperson. Most people who do pass this thing have the utmost compassion for those who did not make it because they know what BS and the stressfulness of this thing they call an examination. It should be called an initiation.

• Ru
    RunningLady Mar 27, 2013

Seems to me that there are just a bunch of cry babies on this site. Sorry you didn't prepare for the CPNE...whose fault is that? I'm gonna go with yours. And clinicals...what a joke at a traditional nursing school. I was in the Army for 8 years and can run circles out of these uppity RNs! If you didn't want to play the excelsior way you should have gone somewhere else. I'm betting you used the study guides for the nursing theory exams...why not use it for CPNE. for all you conspiracy theorists on this site go ahead and email me if you have any questions or need a good argument. :) [email protected]

imashepherdgirl Jan 31, 2013

P.S. Clarifying the CE said "some people think this is the Easy Way out". My feeling is some of the CE's truly believe that people taking this program are looking for the easy way out and therefore are condescending to them.

imashepherdgirl Jan 31, 2013

This is the real Imashepherdgirl and I did not post that pro-Excelsior comment! Actually a CE told me that "this is not the easy way out" . I am going to find out how someone got into this account under my name and wrote that comment and possibly pursue legal action about it. I agree with Kayrie. EC did revise the Study Guide and it still is super confusing and contradicts itself in multiple areas. I'm contacting the administrator of this site about the hacking!

imashepherdgirl Jan 31, 2013

Warning looks like there are some possible "plants" on this site. We of course see through it. Really, who gets on complaint boards and is gonna go gung ho for this program???? Too funny. Me thinks Excelsior's worst nightmare would be hundreds of people stepping forward giving testimony of similarities of what happened then the truth will come out. Excelsior couldn't do this years ago but now there is this wonderful thing called the internet, and user groups so people can connect from all over and tell what happened to them. Then as they compare notes, can say "yeah, I had that CE too and he/she did the same thing to me". There is a lot of power and arrogance with this school and emotional abuse, psychological games where they try to pin things back on the students, yet they fail to take responsibility for their actions and to boot they take thousands of dollars from people. They seem to never own up to their faults but yet want to put that burden on the students. I think something needs to be done. If anyone knows of a law firm please post it and then everyone should just start putting calls in. It only takes 10 for a class action and I think there are more than 10 out there. P.S. I saw a posting on this site that looks like it was under my user name stating to the affect that I was admitting it was my fault I failed...THIS WAS NOT POSTED BY ME AND I"M NOT SURE HOW THAT GOT ON THIS SITE. I AM GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS FURTHER TO SEE IF THIS WAS HACKED BY SOMEONE WHO WOULD NOT WANT THIS TO BE EXPOSED. Anyway good luck to all who've had injustice in this situation and I hope justice will be served! I believe the time is ripe!

• Ka
    Kayrie Jan 21, 2013

I just took the CPNE this past weekend (jan 18-20) in Madison Wisconsin. I must say...I read the above posts prior to going & was so very nervous. There were 6 in my group...& I only know of one who failed. Every nursing school has people who do not make it. When I was in LPN school we lost students every semester...but no one called it a scam. I passed...because I had practiced & did everything as I learned it from the study guide & chancellors workshop. It was obvious to me from the first night that the CEs were looking for the critical elements...if they were there...you passed...if not...you failed...not their fault. In what clinical setting is it ok to retrieve items from a trash can? Please tell me so I can avoid it! This is not ok. I failed the IV drip lab the first time...not the CE's fault...mine. When I lowered the tubing I did not recount...gravity can chane the drip rate...again MY fault. File a lawsuit if you want to waste your time...but America needs a lot more people taking responsibly for themselves. Yes I passed...because I prepared. Study & then test again instead of whining about who is to blame. I've failed test in my life...I took responsibility & moved on. All of these cry baby posts almost made me back out of the entire test. Thankfully I decided to judge for myself.

imashepherdgirl Dec 05, 2012

To the above comment!!! That study guide has a some holes and that's why they just revised it!!! To the above comment. Also in regards to Care Plans, they vary from each institution...I believe the prior posting praising Excelsior is a paid Excelsior Employee posting. Most people who truly pass the CPNE do not have such a self righteous attitude, they know how hard it is and how the CE's are. In fact one of the CE's told me "People think this is the easy way out" They must use that phrase when they train their CE's because it seems they all have this preconceived notion that non-traditional testers are "taking the easy way out"...interestingly, it's even put in quotations like she quoted it from her CE training program.

• Ec
    ECRN Nov 27, 2012

Here's the deal. I failed the CPNE the first time as well and at the time i thought they were petty mistakes but in the end the study guide points everything out and if you don't follow it you WILL fail. Any nursing school will have hoops to jump through that you think are rediculous. I don't care how long you have been a LPN, alot of people in this program are. Some people are better test takers than others and nerves do get the best of a lot of people.
    Also if you read the study guide you are NOT required to take a second set of vitals. HOWEVER, they recommend that you do so that you can choose which ones you deem to be more accurate. The care plans, however stupid and useless you may think they are, they are STILL used some places and EVERY RN has to know how to do them. When you graduate and get a job that doesn't use them THEN throw them out the door.
    I know one of the mistakes i made my first round was thinking i knew this stuff real well because i too had been a LPN and working in the ER for 10+ years. On the job stuff doesn't really matter (meaning they don't give you extra points in the CPNE for how many years you've worked or how good of grades you have) especially since this is where bad habits are formed. Do it their way (that study guide is the bible to pass as far as EC is concerned) and you WILL pass.
    EC is Not a ripoff, just not meant for everybody...only willing, highly self-motivated people apply because this is not "the easy way out".

• Wh
    whyme123 Jul 31, 2012

During my pcs, two of the CE filled out the wrong section of the lab booklet. For IV push, she filled out teh IV drip. The CA kept referring to the CPNE as PCNE. Idiots! ha ha Yes I failed.

• Ac
    acute care LPN Jul 28, 2012

Save your money! Its a scam and money pit. I will not retake it, to be demeaned and go thru anxiety like that again. 29 years of acute care Nursing, primary care with 15 years trauma experience. They are terrible instructors and nurses, and they hire their personality and nursing type, who are on control highs, probably because they had low self esteems and clinicians. They need to be stopped.! Do not give them the satisfaction of doing an injustice on your dime.

• Wi
    Wigirl76 Jul 24, 2012

I also failed in December of 2011. I tested in Madison, Wi. I passed all four labs tge first night but 2 out of 4 the Ce had to talk to tre Ca about something but I passed. I failed the 2nd day on both PCS due to my care plans. Didn't even get to see the patient -either time. What is frustrating for me is that in a clinical situation at a tech school you can write your care plan and then discuss it with the instructor. That's how you learn. And how many RN's actually still write them. They are computerized in most settings. I'm scheduled for my 2nd try in October but I'm having so much anxiety over it and night mares that I'm not sure I can go through with it.

DawnAnnette Jun 23, 2012

I will keep everyone updated as we move forward. I want my money back and I don't want RNs out in the field that don't have clinical experience. All traditional nursing schools require a certain number of clinical hours to graduate. I don't understand how some states are allowing people to obtain their RN without documented clinical hours. When I first signed up for Excelsior I thought it was a program just for working LPNs and EMTs and that eventually we would have to show documentation of our clinical hours through our employers. I took the workshop and met people that were not working LPNs or EMTs. Present at the workshop were a CNA, LPN who took ten years off from nursing to pursue other interests, the medical assistant who held up a med cup and asked me what it was and what the markings were ( he passed CPNE...OMG) and a former animal trainer that had failed out of real nursing school due to not passing the math test with 100% accuracy. That's the other thing...why isn't there the math test that must be passed with 100% accuracy as there is at all other nursing schools. As you read in my previous post, the CAs and CEs aren't even competent in basic math. There was a person present in the room during the whole IV drip situation and is willing to testify.
    I failed the IV push the first time because although I loosened the syringe it got stuck causing it to jerk forward too fast and I had to stop a few seconds before administering the rest of the med. You're not allowed to stop at all...no big deal...I had a second try. I had passed all my other labs and two PCS by my second try at IV push. I wasn't sure but I may have contaminated the tip of my first flush, so just to be safe, I decided to throw it out and draw up a new one. At my facility, it is a strict policy to only dispose of sharps in sharps containers due to cost and being "green". I automatically put in the regular trash and instantly realized my mistake and was going to remove it after I completed the other elements and put it in sharps as excelsior wants it. The CE stopped me immediately. I argued that there is nothing in the study guide that states we are not allowed to remove a non-contamidated barrel from the garbage. The CA stated that we don't remove things from the garbage...the CE had already taken it out of the garbage and placed it on the table so obviously they do remove things from the garbage. The CA told me to appeal. I did appeal on the grounds of not being allowed to correct my mistake and that there is nothing stating that I couldn't have removed it from the garbage to put in sharps. I received a generic letter from the dean of nursing stating that I failed CPNE and so forth. She did not address the issue of my appeal so now it's on to court and I am going to make a big deal about it. In my former career, I was an editor and reporter in NYC and I still have many friends and contacts in the business. Nurses do, at times, have to remove items from the garbage especially if working with children, the elderly, the developmental disabled, and the mentally handicapped.

DawnAnnette Jun 22, 2012

completely agree and I am looking into a lawsuit at this time. I don't even know where to begin. I failed at Albany for dumb reasons nothing that reflects nursing skills or knowledge. I graduated with the second highest grade from LPN school. After failing CPNE, I decided not to give Excelsior another penny. The thing about the CPNE is that it is ridiculously easy for an intelligent seasoned LPN, but so easy to fail because they judge on minor things that aren't related to nursing knowledge or skills. You basically just have to take CPNE workshop and study study guide and do exactly what they tell you to do. There was a man that passed CPNE that was an army medic twenty years prior and admitted to us that he hadn't had any clinical experience since. There was another young man that worked in an family MD's office as a medical assistant. He answered phones, filed and took vitals...he passed CPNE. I can't believe that some states are allowing these people to become nurses with no clinical experience. California is the only state that sees Excelsior nursing for what it is. Anyway, my first lab was the IV drip. I completed everything and the CE told me she had to get the CA. The CE told CA that I did everything right but my drip calculation was wrong. It just so happens that I have BS degree and had studied math for a while so I was 100% positive that my drip factor was correct. I showed my calculations to CA and she said it appeared correct but they had a different answer. I continued to defend my answer. Finally after about 5 minutes, they realized they were looking at the answer to the wrong question and I passed that lab. I wrote a letter to the dean informing her of what occurred, because I'm sure people have failed CPNE because the CE & CA said drip was wrong. I think a class action lawsuit would be just because there are A LOT of stories out there of shady actions on the part of the CEs and CAs. My friend had a CE that was on her cell phone most of the time during the PCS and looked at her VS and told her that there was no need for her to do a second set! She passed. If I had a CE that did that for me, I would have passed as well. My friend is willing to testify. I have more stories too. Everyone should start talking with lawyers and we should stay in touch. I an also going to protest accreditation of Excelsior nursing because not everyone passing this program has proper clinical experience and it endangers peoples lives.

Dan Hartley Mar 07, 2012

I was enrolled in the College Network Program and found the hard way it was a joke too, I am 45 years old and been a LPN for almost 17 years, I just didn't have time to attend college and so I thought maybe this would work, I have taken several classes throught he clep program, I hope these will transfer to another college, I think I might just bite the bullet and attend college the normal way, what did you end up doing?
    Dan In TN