E*Trade Financial Logo

E*Trade Financial

Having problems with E*Trade Financial?

+1 800 387 2331 (Securities or Bank)
+1 877 921 2434 (Retirement Specialists)
+1 800 838 0908 (Stock plans)
+1 866 503 2856 (Credit cards)
1271 Avenue of the Americas, 14th Floor

Overnight mail:
E*TRADE Securities, LLC
501 Plaza 2, 34 Exchange Place
Jersey City, NJ , 07311-1113

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with E*Trade Financial.

Complaints & Reviews

E*Trade Financial Corporationsell off of stocks arbitrarily

E*TRADE is a complete fraud
Selling of stocks without notice, arbitrary stock sales being done!!! What is going on here...
Had a stock SWET with ran up rather rapidly last year, as it peaked and I was considering selling - I all of a sudden get a notice that my stock was sold at roughly 1/3rd the value.
Saying that I had a sell order at that price??????
If that was the case, shouldn't it have sold at that price as it made the run thru that price??????
No explanation was ever given, nothing from E*TRADE at all...
NOW, the stock was halted pending filing of paperwork from SWET and now I've received a notice that I have a negative balance in my account. Went into see what was going on and all my stocks are GONE...
I never received notice, I never placed a stock sell, I never authorized any sale, I never received a notice of any fees due or stock would be sold off to cover fees.
WTF is going on, I am reading NUMEROUS complaints about this company E*TRADE doing this to people's accounts similar...
There is apparent fraud and it needs Government intervention

E*Trade FinancialE*trade promotion of cash bonus/500 free trades not honored

I opened an ETRADE SOLO 401k partly due to promotional offer of cash ($300) plus 500 free trades. They would not fulfil the promotion because outside funds were transferred to account before promo was applied - they would not backdate or make retroactive the application of the promotion.

Nowhere in their marketing literature is this exception to the promotion noted. Apparently you must notify them, in writing of some sort, that you would like the promotion applied to the new account before any funds transfer into the account occurs.

I'm immediately pulling the funds out from E*TRADE and will use TD Ameritrade who promised to deposit the same promotional cash bonus into a new account immediately.

Beware of BAIT AND SWITCH!

Here is the promo details copy/pasted from the E*Trade site (12/23/2016):

Here's how to get your cash credit:
    Mail or fax your completed small business retirement plan application to us
    Call Customer Service at [protected] once your account is open to be enrolled in and receive the offer.
    Credits for cash or securities will be made based on deposits of new funds or securities from external accounts made within 45 days of account open, as shown in the chart below. Your account will be credited within one week of the close of the 45-day window, as follows:

Receive
    Deposit or Transfer
    $2, 500 + free trades $1, 000, 000+
    $1, 200 + free trades $500, 000 - $999, 999
    $600 + free trades $250, 000 - $499, 999
    $300 + free trades $100, 000 - $249, 999
    $200 + free trades $25, 000 - $99, 999
    Only Free Trades $10, 000 - $24, 999

Here's how to get your free trades:
    You will receive up to 500 free trade commissions for each stock or options trade executed within 60 days of the deposited funds being made available for investment in the new account (excluding options contract fees). You will pay $9.99 for your first 149 stock or options trades and $7.99 thereafter up to 500 stock or options trades (plus 75¢ per options contract). Your account will be credited for trades within a week. Account must be funded within 60 days of account open with funds from outside of E*TRADE.

More important information
    Offer valid for one new E*TRADE Securities retirement account opened by 12/31/2016 and funded within 60 days of account opening with $10, 000 or more with funds from outside of E*TRADE. Excludes E*TRADE Securities brokerage and E*TRADE Bank accounts.

You will not receive cash compensation for any unused free trade commissions. Excludes current E*TRADE Financial Corporation associates, non-U.S. residents, and any jurisdiction where this offer is not valid. This offer is not valid for business, Custodial, Estate, LLC, Sole Proprietorship, Unincorporated Organization or E*TRADE Bank accounts. New funds or securities must remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of 6 months or the credit may be surrendered. One promotion per customer. E*TRADE Securities reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time.

Etrade Financial — Etrade holding my money hostage

E*trade has my money and won't let me get it back, i sent a external deposit and a wire totaling $20, 000...

Etrade Financial — Etrade holding my money hostage

etrade has my money and won't let me get it back, i sent a external deposit and a wire totaling $20, 000...

www.etrade.com — Owner threatened me

Another scamming website. Don’t use the services of the company www.etrade.com. All their offers and...

Etrade Financial — They refuse to release my money

etrade closed my account for NO reason and completely shut me out of their website . the reps told me a...

eTrade — ETrade = thieves & crooks

ETrade is the worst trading company you can pick. Horrible customer service, outright theft of customer...

eTrade — etrade

I can't believe the FCC lets them run at all. First week, they "lost" $5, 000 of mine through a...

eTrade — Lost access to my account.

For no apparent reasons my account at Etrade was locked. I called the company and despite the fact I provided...

eTradeBeware of hidden maintenance fees on brokerage accounts!

I purchased my first stock in the year 2000 for $5200.00 using ETrade. As most all tech stocks did, my stock plummeted and, at one point was worth $198.00. Over the years it has slowly began to climb back. I recently sold the stock and, after $19.99 for their commission fee and $3.00 for miscellaneous fees, I was told that my balance was $2004.00.` Customer service told me to wait for three days and then to request a check from them for the amount aforementioned.

I am getting married soon and I sold the stock with the intention of paying for the rental of a facility costing $2000. My fiancée was happy that this cost would be covered since we are paying for the wedding ourselves. Six days later I called to request a check from ETrade and I was told that my balance was $1771.00. I asked customer service where the $230.00 went and they told me that any customer that has less than $5000 dollars is charged $25 quarterly and that I owed them this money for maintaining my account.

When I first bought stock through ETrade, I did it because I was told that it was only $8.00 per trade. I was not told that it would cost me an additional $25 per quarter. After being on the phone with two different people at ETrade for a total of 48 minutes, the best I could get was for them to reverse one charge. Out of frustration, I requested that they send me the check for $1796.00.

Now I have to come up with an additional $204.00 that I don't have for my wedding. If I knew of these hidden maintenance fees, I would have waited for the stock to go up more before selling it. ETrade customer service had the attitude of, "Oh well, you should have known." And, why shouldn't they? They have my money.

I would encourage everyone to not trade through ETrade and to beware of hidden costs if they do.

eTradeScam

ETrade froze my account and wouldn't tell me why until, after about 5 calls, I finally got through to someone competent enough to figure it out. Something about me logging in from my work computer caused them to think there was "suspicious activity" going on. Not sure what sort of stone age technology a place has to use to be unable to handle my perfectly standard use, but apparently they were about 10 years behind the rest of the world on this one. I was still able to deposit, of course, but all withdrawals failed.

I had just opened the account, and was still exploring other savings account options, so I had no desire to stick with etrade, and tried to just close my account so the balance would be sent to me as a check. I thought I would at least be able to do that... I mean they just have to send the money in the account to the person and address that it was opened and funded with... I don't see how that could be remotely dangerous. But they refused until I verified I was myself, by going to a notary and getting a letter notarized saying that I was me, I lived at the address on the account, and I wanted the account activated.

What's with all the security questions and other identify verification info? Couldn't I have simply given them everything over the phone... all the security question answers, my account password, my account #, my social, passport #, my name, address, phone #, date of birth, past addresses, favorite color, etc???? Jesus...

SUPER annoying. Especially because this was right after being laid off, when I was considering starting my own business and might have needed to have quick access to that money, which was most of my savings, since, after testing it with a few small transfers back and forth between etrade and my checking, I had just gone on to put most of what I had into it. Luckily I didn't need it, but it was frustrating regardless, and I was blown away that a bank could let me open an account, fund it, and then freeze it and refuse access to it (or even the ability to close it!) until I jumped through hoops to prove something that I can't understand how it wasn't already proven.

Still trying to figure out what they could prevent by this silly process. I guess I could have opened the account, and funded it with someone else's stolen account info... but then me sending in a letter saying I'm me doesn't resolve any fraud going on there. Or maybe someone else could have opened an account in my name but with their address, funded it with my stolen checking account info. But then they'd end up with a check made out to me, so... And if they had my checking account info, why not just directly access that? [censored]ing etrade... essentially thieves in this situation.

So when putting cash into an etrade account, just be aware that at any moment they could seemingly arbitrarily decide to deny you access to it until you send them a notarized letter in the mail (approximately a 10-12 day process to get access again). Your assets in there might not be as liquid as you want.

eTrade — They Closed My Account and Kept my Funds

On Saturday, my account had been closed by ETrade, and all my funds of $8500 were cleared out, with a net...

eTradeI would encourage everyone to not trade through ETrade and to beware of hidden costs if they do

I am getting married soon and I sold the stock with the intention of paying for the rental of a facility costing $2000. My fiancйe was happy that this cost would be covered since we are paying for the wedding ourselves. Six days later I called to request a check from ETrade and I was told that my balance was $1771.00. I asked customer service where the $230.00 went and they told me that any customer that has less than $5000 dollars is charged $25 quarterly and that I owed them this money for maintaining my account.

eTradeAuction rate security fraud

I am almost 62 years old, and in the fall of 2007 I was lured by E*trade's ad for a JP Morgan money market fund for an IRA. In Short I called to purchase this money market fund, (the trade could not be placed on-line) I was transferred to their "fixed-income" department and was solicitied to buy Auction Rate Securities, for which the market has been frozen since Feb 2008.

E*Trade, in my opinion, knew the risk of this soon to be illiquid market, yet pawned them off on me and thousands more of their "clients=victims". They have been totally uncooperative, intransigent, rude, threatening, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their fraud and lies perpetuated by their agents back in late 2007. They offer no solution to help assist those of us caught in this mess, and they continously deflect, deny, and defend their lack of accountability and irresponsible stance.

They have effectively stolen my 50, 000 in an IRA no less and they only put up a smoke screen with low rent mafioso like attorneys. E*Trade from my experience is pure pond ###, and has zero ethics, and morality. Who on Wall Street does? They are the worst of the worst. RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM E*TRADE, They will *** over financially given the chance and are totally untrustworthy to be a custodian of any one's money.

E*Trade Financial — frozen account without reason

I have been an E*Trade customer for many years. All of a sudden, without any prior notice or explanation...

eTradeliquidated IRA shares in index fund, now won't allow transfer

Etrade liquidated the shares in its Etrade SP500 index fund in my IRA without notifying me at the bottom of the stock market last year. For 8 months I've been trying to transfer my assets to Vanguard and Etrade always finds some reason to reject the transfer. Etrade is a criminal organization.

• Je
                  JessBell Jan 27, 2012

This is exactly what is happening to me.
                  I didn't sell my assets, I want a transfer in-kind.
                  However, every time I try and do this they come up with a new excuse for why the transfer can't happen.
                  Every time I say, "is this the last thing I have to do", and every time they say yes. And then they throw a new challenge on.
                  It's been eight months.

eTradePoor way to do business

Etrade sold all of my stocks without notification!!! Apparently there was a quarterly fee that I was unaware of (also was not notified). To make up the negative balance on my account, Etrade sold all of my stocks that could potentially be worth a significant amount of money some day. You would think that before they decided to sell all of my stocks that I would have been notified by email or phone. This is a very poor way to do business.

eTrade — Etrade is a theif

So for 4 years I never was notified I owed anything on my brokerage. I had penny stocks I wanted to save for...

eTradeReoccurring Transfers

I'd setup a reoccurring transfer from my Chase account to my eTrade account back in May '09. After the first transfer went though on June 1st, I stopped all reoccurring transfer. On July 1st, lucky I received an auto alert from Chase when my account balance drops below a certain level, eTrade is still doing the reoccurring transfers at the first of every month, even though when I checked online, I had no pending transfers, reoccurring transfers or anything. Customer support said I did the transfer online, I call ###, and she didn't know what as going on. I talked to an agent in the Philippines, one of their call centers, and a supervisor in Houston TX. All were very rude, didn't want listen to what I had to say and didn't want to help.

Basically my bank, Chase, told me to wait until the transfer gets posted before I file for fraud. Etrade didn't have my permission to take money out of my personal banking account.

eTradeDECEPTIVE ADVERTISING

DO NOT USE THESE FEE DRIVEN CROOKS!

ETRADE claims on its website to have "NO FEES" "NO HASSLES" to open an IRA. First, they held my money for 8 business days AFTER they electronically received it.

Then they charged me a "fee" of .15 for trading over 2000 shares. This NO FEES FEE was not anywhere on their advertising page or even in their fine print. When their customer service was contacted they did nothing.

DO NOT USE THESE FEE DRIVEN CROOKS!

I am transfering my IRA account to Scottrade who will pay for the transfer!

SO MUCH FOR NO HASSLES!