Emusic.comUnauthorized billing

B

I received an offer with my purchase of a Netgear router for 50 free songs and one free audio book. When I went to emusic.com I didn't like what I saw so I canceled and never downloaded anything.

When I checked my charge card statement online I saw they billed me. When I called to dispute the charge (I called three times) I was given the exact same answer read off a sheet; 'you upgraded your account before you canceled and you signed that you would not get a refund we can not give you a refund, is there anything else?' and hung up.

RESOLVED

• eMusic.com's response · Aug 10, 2011

Hi jld31,
    I'd like to step in and help you out. If possible, can you email me at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter - we're there as well, helping resolve issues. Sorry for any confusion, I do hope to hear from you and look forward to helping!
    Jacob

Joel Bolton Feb 27, 2014

i am a student at Coleg Gwent and receive £60 a month from the college due to Education Maintenance Allowance and by the looks of my recent transactions it says that i have paid £24.99 for a subscription with Emusic.com when i haven't even visited this site. I had no intention of even purchasing this. If you could please refund this i would be very grateful as i have had no clue that this account even existed until today Thank You.

angela mckenna May 03, 2013

This company emusic.com have taken £24.99 from my bank account, I do not know the company, nor have I ever had dealings with them, I donnot know how they have got my bank details .

• Gi
    Gina Atialno Feb 19, 2013

They some how block your account the day day before your ends. I tried to get in my account and no luck. Tried the password reset, no luck emailed them two days before and they did not respond until they billed me. I didn't have the funds so lets see what happens. I used paypal. Maybe they can help me from getting ripped off.

• Ve
    vevaya johnstone Nov 07, 2011

I cant down load any songs .to hard to do any thing

• Ve
    vevaya johnstone Nov 07, 2011

I want to cancel my 35freesongs+1 free audiobook

• Cp
    cPerry Sep 14, 2011

Emusic will run your credit card for unathorized charges BEWARE ! read all of the complaints on google .. emusic complaints !

• Ne
    Nergate Aug 11, 2011

I went on the site as they were offering a "free" trial for a limited value. Unfortunately, downloads are automatic and your card is charge immediately upon clicking on an item, so free may not really be free depending on what you click on. No confirm screen of any kind is used by this site when charges are going on your card. THEY ALSO HAVE A NO REFUND POLICY THAT ALL STAFF REPEAT OVER AND OVER LIKE ROBOTS. Customer satisfaction is clearly not this company's priority. BE CAREFUL WHEN GIVING THIS SITE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO.

• Jl
    jld31 Aug 10, 2011

I went on the site as they were offering a "free" trial - for a limited value. Unfortunately, downloads are automatic and your card is charged immediately upon clicking on an item, so free may not really be free depending on what you click on. No confirm screen of any kind is used by this site when charges are going on your card. THEY ALSO HAVE A NO REFUND POLICY THAT ALL STAFF REPEAT OVER AND OVER LIKE ROBOTS. Customer satsifaction is clearly not this company's priority. BE CAREFUL WHEN GIVING THIS SITE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO.

• Sk
    SKY59 Jul 25, 2011

although i had not noticed for many months, emusic.com had been charging my credit card $9.99 per month for a service that neither owner of the credit card had purchased. When I called them, they said my minor son had signed up and they do not care either way if I knew about the use of my card. They chose not to call or email me to ask if my my minor son could use my card. When I ask for my money back, they told me that was not their policy. When I asked if my son had accessed or used the service, they said the account was never accessed by anyone. When I complained some more they promised me a call from "corporate" which never came. Instead, I got a rude email from customer support questioning my parenting skills. What a scam.

• Cr
    crabby Jul 10, 2011

I signed up for the free trial and then decided to pay the 11.99 monthly fee
    but they have charged me twice in 30 days and the website is unavailable, so I can't even receive the service that I have paid TWICE FOR!!!

Joey T. Mar 09, 2011

eMusic will bill you 1$ for a free trial, there have been many reports of them, even when you cancel your membership to keep on charging you

Master Dec 20, 2010

This company is a f***ing rip off group of con artists...do not use the website!!! They tell you your getting "free music" then charge your credit card..

• Kr
    Krupolle May 24, 2010

I've canceled my membership twice before the 7-day trial subscription offer and was still billed on my card. What kind of racket is this people practicing and how come the BBB had done nothing about it. When I tried to enter my complaint, they asked about the physical address and ph number. And insisted not even one complaint has being filed against the company. Is it true?

• Rl
    rlee9112 Mar 22, 2010

Avoid emusic.com as it is a total waste! I had to call twice to cancel the subscription and was charged for two months of service I never wanted. They will never refund money -- that's their policy. In other words, their policy is to steal your money. Stay away.

• Oc
    Octavian Aug 07, 2009

I signed up for a free trial but canceled. I got an email with a "special offer" asking me to rejoin. When I clicked to investigate I was re-enrolled without any warning or authorisation from me. This is a deeply dishonest business and I advise all to avoid it. I am attempting to get my credit card charged reversed. Will advise on progress.

• Fo
    forum52 Aug 01, 2009

I neglected to say, I was forced to cancel my credit card to avoid any further contact with this company...DO NOT USE THESE FOLKS !

• Fo
    forum52 Aug 01, 2009

I find I have had a very similar experience. I gave them some money before I was able to download my FREE songs and then was not able to do anything else. I was never able to navigate to any other portions of their website with out being directed to re-enter my credit card info. When I emailed this development to them they emailed back and said it was a fault of my computer and gave me about a dozen ways to "fix" the problem. Needless to say, it did not and I decided cancel my membership. This was not possible either as you are just continually redirected to the page for re-entering your credit card info. I googled "emusic sucks" and found that this is a growing phenomenon for a company that at one time evidently had a good reputation. I am sorry I did not know about them then...I certainly do not want to know them anymore and everyone should look out for them.

• Ba
    Barry Jul 11, 2009

In Sept 2007 - I made the huge mistake of responding to an offer for "free" music downloads from eMusic.com -- the offer seemed genuine. eMusic sent me an email welcoming me to eMusic in Sept 2007. Up until now (Mar 2009) - that is the only contact that I have had with eMusic.com. Upon doing my taxes earlier today - I found an 11.99 charge every month for last year (and now have also found out that eMusic has also billed me for Jan, Feb and Mar -- in addition to Sept Oct Nov and Dec 2007). Upon finding this issue - I contacted eMusic to ask for a refund as I have not downloaded a single track and now find that I have paid nearly $230 dollars to this company. I asked eMusic to find a reasonable amount for settlement given that (1) I have not downloaded any music I have not heard from them since Sept 2007 They have automatically renewed my "membership" (not sure if I would call it a membership as member programs normally keep members appraised)

This is obviously a rip-off company -- I would urge everyone to boycott this company -- additionally their practices are definitely below the line -- in this age of Bernie Madoff, I find it reprehensible that a company can be in business with such dubious business ethics. This company should be sued and driven out of business. Spend your money elsewhere!

• Em
    Emusic Sucks Jan 06, 2009

Emusic is a total scam. We were stupid enough to sign up for the free trial. We cancelled it -- and they still charged us! The free trial is a total lie. Don't do it! And now I'm having a horrible time cancelling it. The way they set up their website it's impossible to cancel it. STAY AWAY FROM EMUSIC AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Valerie Nov 15, 2008

I did a trial with emusic, that was being promoted by wal-mart with the purchase of electronic equipment. the trial period was for 7 days. on the second day I canceled my trial membership. I come to discover around 18 days latter that emusic had taken $19.99 out of my bank account. I logged on to emusic.com and filed a complaint and prompted them to refund my money, that it was wrongfully taken for services not rendered on 10/28/08, claim #[protected]. emusic.com will not respond to the claim, and say that if I file anything else it will only allow them to drag out their effortless response. I believe that wal mart should also be aware of this kind of activity which is being promoted by them.

• Po
    Po Popal Nov 04, 2008

I never signed up or even heard of this website and I was being charged. I called to cancel it and get a refund and they refused.

• Me
    Merle Johnson Sep 28, 2008

I have tried to cancel this subscription multiple times and the company runs you in circles and will not allow your e-mails to go through. There is no phone number or direct email available to contact the company. I am going to call my credit card company and have them deal with it.

• Ek
    ekan Jul 18, 2008

emusic.com is absolutely fraud. they charge credit even I am not ever heard of this site before until I saw the bill. This is NYC based company and bunch of indian frauds worka nd they con credit cards. NYS attorney generala nd FBI should vigourusly invenstigate this site

chuckmc53 Jun 14, 2008

I feel that a state AG or a federal fraud investigation should be started regarding this company, as to deceptive intent as well as a website that is impossible to navigate through to cancel without actually signing up again! I had to call my credit card company for 6 continuous months to get a charge from them reversed after receiving a cancellation confirmation email.

• Si
    Simon May 22, 2008

You could get the bank to delete/stop the direct debit to eMusic.com

Try that :D

• Ka
    Kathy May 22, 2008

Bought an MP3 player from QVC. These signed up via the internet to download the free songs. Was supposed to be able to cancel after my trial period. But to no avail. I tried to cancel via email and ended up with another additional charge. There is no way they let you cancel.

Can't someone get to these people and stop this rip off.

• Be
    Bernadette May 13, 2008

I have sent e-mails and called and now im coming here because im getting charged for something I Cancelled many times...These people are rip offs and should be shut down...

• Lu
    luis rosa May 13, 2008

Sign up 4 trial offer next thing i know get statement from bank that im have a overdraft on 2 charges comre to find out there a charge of 9.99 threw my acct out of balance.

• Pe
    Penny Atkinson Apr 22, 2008

I never signed up for this service and I am demanding $69.93 returned to my account. Please advise others to take action

James A Richards Jr Apr 01, 2008

I did not request a subscription, but was billed $9.99 by my credit card which was required for a free trial by their web site. Then, since this was bill without my approval, my account bounced and I was charged an additional $55.oo. I was lucky that my bank refunded the additional charges, but I have not been able to get a response back from this company and I am afraid they will make another fee charge without my knowledge or approval.

Maureen Meredith Jan 29, 2008

I have been billed been trying to cancel a monthly charge of $9.99 since September 2006. It is now January 2008 and I have sent a certified letter to the New York address. I still have not received a reply. The website email is a fraud.