Empire Beauty Schoolthis school should be shut down

If you are smart you will not attend this school. From the door the school recruiter lies to you. Then you get to school and they give you the cheesiest supplies that break within weeks to a month of you using them.
You never know what director or teacher is leaving but trust me they leave faster then the students do. Every time you get a good teacher she is gone...go figure!
Financial aide is a joke...you will get a letter in the mail that you graduated when you didn't and need to repay your loan. Then you have a graduation date and then you don't...because the administartion can't keep good records...but its the students fault. I shouldn't have to be a student and do their job too!
The best is when they reward someone for perfect attendance who was on probation and had no choice but to be there or else get kicked out! or the student who is beligerant and rude to teachers and students on a daily basis but he is recognized in the student paper for having a great attitude!...tell me the school is not a joke now.
They are to teach you and get you ready for the industry but honestly I feel all Im qualified to be is an empire teacher...that doesn't say much for what I have learned.
If you expect them to care about your education or help you find a job...ha ha ha that is the biggest joke of all...they haven't found one student a job!
They are too busy sitting in their offices taking calls and telling you they are too busy for you or flirting with each other...One admistrator was on a sex website looking for a woman...he was also the same admistrator who handed out free passes to a strip club when you joined Empire...the best is he gets fired and they tell us he has moved on in the company...LIES!!!
Most of the students that are there have to be because of welfare or criminal act...they get money for going to school yet they sit in class disrupting it and blame the teacher for their ignorance.
Oh and don't complain because it will do no good...no one cares all the way too the top!!!
I suggest you THINK TWO AND THREE TIMES before you choose this school!

• Pa
    paisleylove Jan 15, 2012

I went to Empire in Colorado. It's such a scam. From the beginning the recruiter treats you like VIP, and she told me because of my financial situation, I wouldn't have to pay, and I wouldn't have to take out a loan. I finished a year ago and I owe 12, 000 in loans. I never knew the amount I owed until I already started there. She was later fired for being a coke addict and incredibly rude and inappropriate.

The school was a complete dump. I only went back because I was told it was going to be remodeled. I was too embarrassed to bring any clients in there. It was completely ghetto because 99% of the students had been to jail, so needless to say there were lots of fighting, and on the weekends if you came in you could expect that they would have their children running around the floor which isn't safe for anyone. Our "top quality" kits were a joke. Most of the tools in there broke within a month of using them.

Although in basics I did have a pretty decent teacher, she left for vacation during haircutting and we got a lazy pregnant instructor who didn't teach us. Needless to say, none of us were taught how to properly cut hair. The rest of the instructors were rude and lazy. I always kept wondering to myself if it was just me, but everyone at my school agreed that they didn't learn a thing.

When I did have clients on the floor. It would take about an hour to find the floor instructor to see my consultation, and if you got stuck or needed assistance, good luck. You would be passed back and forth between 3 instructors all telling you a different way to do layers. And never showing you how to do it, or giving you the individual attention that is required.

The whole program lacked. I was very interested in make up, but the only make up lesson we had was after learning to do a basic facial, and our instructor told us to "do whatever we wanted". Like I said, the instructors were incredibly lazy. A large portion of our tuition was because of our "in depth" books, which we only looked in a handful of times.

The outside education they brought in were from places like Great Clips, and the lady was obviously hung over. They didn't help in job assistance, oh sure, they had a "job board" that were always outdated. Which was similar to a Craigslist Posting. All of my classmates that have actually passed the boards and got a job have only gotten jobs at places like Great Clips and Cost Cutters. Also, many of the instructors come from places like that. Not very prestigious. If that's your cup of tea, then by all means, awesome. But I had bigger dreams than that.

Overall, I and the majority of my classmates feel cheated. I wanted a real education. I had a friend who went to a Paul Mitchell School, and she has learned so much. I am very resentful towards this school tricking me into going and giving me an education similar to something I could have learned myself from YouTube tutorials. The school isn't safe, the one I went to was dirty and needs to be remodeled. The staff is incredibly rude and never helpful. They just care getting your money. If anyone has considered going to this school, I advise you DO NOT GO HERE!

• Je
    jessie 02 Aug 24, 2011

I am going through the same thing at the Milwaukee campus...and Im trying to transfer into an apprenticeship program and the executive director is telling me that I need to drop out in order to get my official transcripts...i am so tired and drained because of this school..I am suppose to graduate in a couple of months but I am choosing to further my education with this apprenticeship and know that I will pass my state boards but emire is trying to make it harder for me.

• Pa
    PallettePower Jan 26, 2011

Same at mine. While they get extra money for nothing, and spend their refunds on vacations, clothes, weaves, etc., I'm hoping I can make enough tips from clients and at my 2 jobs to cover gas for a few days!

I want to transfer so bad. I'm done in June, but is it worth it? It may be. Though I'll have to re-do my financial aid because the other school that is close is $2k more, I don't hear about it being a [censor] school.