DriveTimedrivetime preys on people who need help

I purchased a vehicle from DriveTime in October '06. The people in the showroom were very friendly, really too friendly. I bought a vehicle because I needed one. If I could have purchased the same vehicle new, it would have cost me less. The price I paid for the '01 Ford Focus was a rip-off. The bluebook on the vehicle was $3300 less than what I paid for it. I was told the vehicle had just one previous owner, a little old lady in Sarasota.

Why didn't I listen to the horns and sirens that were going off in my head? I needed a car. The check engine light was on when I started the car to leave. When I said something to a salesman outside, he said not to worry, they go off all the time - OK.

With 1 week, I was driving and the gas pedal wouldn't work. The car didn't have any acceleration. A few feet later the car died, on a busy road. When I called DriveTime and asked for help, they said I had to the Warranty Department. I did and they were closed already for the week. It was 3:20 on a Friday afternoon. When I called the store I purchased the vehicle from, the Sales Manager seemed to know exactly what was wrong - the compressor.

This is real nice, I live in FL, it is hot and humid here 11 months of the year. The salesman wouldn't help me and when I spoke with the manager, I was told someone would contact me back, that was 3 weeks ago. I filed a Lemon Law Complaint with the Better Business Bureau but haven't heard anything yet. When I took this car to a real mechanic, I was told: "The oil hasn't been changed in at least 9000 miles, the tires are bare, the compressor is out (like I needed to know that) and the brakes would go out.

Now, when I spoke with someone from the Warranty Department the following Monday, I was told the oil was changed the week before I purchased it, there were new brakes, there were 2 new tires on the car. I'd really like to know where those 2 new tires are, they're not on the vehicle I have. I thought I was the only one who got the shaft, I didn't realize it was everyone who went in there. Also, this car, according to a vehicle history report I received, not the non-existent one from Experian, this vehicle has been bought, repossessed and resold more times than I had the patience to weed through.

DriveTime preys on people like me, who need help. Yes, they do not give a crap about the vehicle they've sold you. But, if you are late on a payment, you'd better have Caller-ID, they are on you like a fly on you know what.

Good Luck. Hopefully after reading this comments from everyone who has been screwed, you too, will not!

• Di
    Dianne Bell Aug 10, 2017

My husband brought 2008 Honda Accord. We haven't had the car for 5 days and decided to return it because it is to small and we stay on a dirt road and the car sits low. My husband had called Drive Time and they told us we can switch the car out and asked how many miles is on the car. He told them and they said that we were only allowed 300 miles during the test run. My husband wasn't aware of that and they told him that we would be charged 1.00 per mile which added to 248 dollars and that would be deducted from our down payment. I have never heard of anything like this. So in other words we would have to come up with more money in order to be placed in another vehicle and when the company did his paperwork, they put the wrong SSN on the application and the finance company had called and told my husband that he needs to go back to the place where we purchased the car and redo the paperwork. Drive Time can say what they want and try to make it look like they are actually trying to help people, well you help people by not trying to use the fact that people needs vehicles so I"ll sell you whats available to you but its a bad deal. Being thoural is essential and not only that why is it that difficult to be switch out a car. This is rediculous. Everybody is not the same regardless of what Drive Time say. People do need second chances, but don't use it as a tool to bully your customers. Its degrading enough when you are already in a bad situation and then find out that a reputible company that comes on TV and make themselves look good but only to find that there are hidden issues in the contract that makes it difficult for the the customers. I'm sorry Drive Time. What we are dealing with sounds like a rip off to us. How are you going to charge someone for mileage. This is not a rental. So for us yes it looks like we are going to have issues with this company also. We were really trying to get back on our feet. Dianne B

• As
    Ashely1991 Aug 02, 2017

Do not go here I was sold a car with bad rotors and break pads and they are refusrefusing to fix it they are crooks

Mattie MC Apr 11, 2017

On Saturday, April 8 I was at Drive Time in Waukegan and I received the worst customer service ever. I am legally blind and I was told that I could not purchase a car in my name and using my credit without a driver’s license. I explained that I don’t have a license due to my disability and I was still denied the right the purchase a car. I was actually asked why I needed a car. Drive Time does not respect the rights to accommodations or the buying power of individuals with disabilities. I went down the road to Rosen and received top notch customer service AND I was able to purchase a nicer vehicle at a lower interest rate….in my name, with my credit.

Shedz Shedz Feb 21, 2017

First off you approve everyone then after you dont help the person if they need the payment less, its my first car and its the worst place i could think i can build my credit and also i only had the car for 2 months and it had over 5000 worth of issues on it the first 2 weeks of getting it and the car was forced on me without me asking for that one. They pick your car not YOU

• Ro
    RogTheMoy77 Jan 09, 2016

If you COULD have gotten a NEW car, I am sure you would have, but Im guessing your credit was terrible and you had no choice but to go with a sub prime lender. I used Drivetime to my advantage and it served me quite well. www.DrivetimeRocks.info

• Fl
    Florida32570 Jan 08, 2016

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE... IT IS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE!!! I understand sometimes our finances get in a rut and you have to do some things just to survive but buying from this place will cause you more stress than you had before. I have had nothing but bad experiences with this place, starting with the wrecked car they sold me that they patched up good enough just to leave off the lot and then things start to fall off the vehicle within a week. After purchase I made my first payment in October 2015, month later (November) I was given a referral bonus (which I had no idea I was receiving) but because I was not aware I had to cancel my auto-pay they debited my bank account and caused several transactions to not clear my bank as well as being charged NSF fees with my bank. Well the following month I went to make a payment and I noticed I was charged a NSF fee by DriveTime for the payment they tried to debit that they had already received from my referral bonus. And by the way when you ask to speak to a supervisor they tell you they don't have supervisors, everyone is an equal employee, but when the CSR needs assistance with processing information or they have questions they say let me put you on hold to talk to my supervisor. This company needs to be SHUT DOWN!! It's already bad enough they RAPE, ROB AND KILL you with the interest rate, which I thought such high interest rates were illegal as well as raising the prices of these vehicles to outrageous prices. But what's even more sad is that I've seen countless reviews and reports of bad business from this company, but no one from the corporate office ever replies to address the issues (non executive employees don't count). They are just blatantly in your face saying: "we do not care about our customers", "we are only here to take your money", "we don't care if we give misinformation or we don't give any information", "At any expense rip off any and everybody that you can". Please educate yourselves before you purchase a car from these people, don't be blinded like me. I use to ask myself when I first bought this car and all the issues started, "I wonder how RAYMOND C. FIDEL- CEO, MARK G. SAUDER -CFO and JON D. EHLINGER- EVP can sleep at night knowing their consumers/customers are not being treated as if they value all that high interest and money they receive from selling over priced vehicles. And it dawned on me, they're sleeping pretty good off our dime while many of their customers miss sleep due to their bad business practices. If all possible stay away!!!

• Dr
    Drivetimesucksbutt Jan 04, 2013

We have had the same issues with drivetime, we bought a 2006 dodge ram in 2010, the day after we bought it the vehicle started surging while at a stop, the air conditioner then went out. The vehicle went in for warranty, they fixed the air conditoning at the AAMCO where they warranty it in Sanford Florida. 2 weeks later the air conditioner went out, and they would not cover the repair, we contacted corporate office for warranty and they told us that they would not cover it but we could maybe pay half and they would add the rest to the vehicle contract. The vehicle is like all the others that we have read about, drive it off the lot and it breaks. When they sell you the vehicle they brag about the warranty... lmao what a sales pitch that is, they might as well put a hammer, screwdriver and pair of pliers in the trunk for you, cause you would be better off... Stay away from Drivetime! this company should be shut down and forced to pay for all of their gimmicks...

• Bu
    burgerking23 Aug 12, 2012

Investigator of Corp if you are real post your real name and phone number so everyone will take you serious and not a troll.

• Fi
    Fixer-Not_a_complainer Aug 11, 2012

Most of you people are weird. I don't work for DriveTime, but I'm considering a position with them. The most common thread I have found here is, "it's too expensive". Ironically enough, you know exactly what the "out the door" price is and what you're bi-weekly payment is, too. If you don't know what your budget is and you're just getting a car based on impulse, then that's your ignorant way of dealing with life and that's probably why your credit is bad to begin with.

DT does not prey on people who need help. It's you that needs the help. YOU all walked into the dealership and YOU sat with one of the sales people and YOU signed on the bottom line. With some of the credit scores I've read about, you don't have a chance in hell of getting a traditional loan from one of the national car dealerships.

If you wouldn't have screwed up your credit to begin with, you wouldn't be in the position you're in. You people eff everything up and then file for bankrupcy. WTF! Who do you think pays that price... It's me and the other tax payers in this country. That's why DT's prices are high and why they have high interest rates. Stop screwing up your world and you wouldn't be in this mess. Stop victimizing yourself and grow a pair. Realize that you're in this situation because of you... otherwise, you wouldn't be utilizing a service like DT. You pay the outrageous interest rates for a year or two and learn how to live your life more responsibly. Then, you refi at a better rate and work specifically to better your credit score and get your payment down.

You can go to DT and get a halfway decent car, at a higher price and have the 6-month, 6, 000 mile warranty... or you can go to an actual dealership. They have an AS-IS lot with cars under $10K... but it's AS-IS... no warranty and if the car is even close to 100, 000 miles (which is what it takes to get on the AS-IS lot)... you won't be able to get it financed.

Not everything works for everyone. If you feel you've been screwed over by DT, get off your ### and make a complaint with the AG in your state. It's ridiculous how lazy and ignorant you people are. It's really disgusting knowing how many of you have already FUBAR'd your lives and credit history and now you want the rest of us to feel bad for you because you buy more stuff you really can't afford.

• Eb
    ebonylindsays Aug 01, 2012

I got my car in 02-11-2012 when I got the car my brakes were bad and still is I noticed it after the first week of having the car I called drive time to let them know and ask they to fix my car and that said they would I took the car to one of the service center that they work with and sears told me that I had 5, 000 to 10, 000 more miles on my brakes and it would take they about two hours to fix it because they were very busy but when sears called drive time to make sure that they were going to pay to get my car fixed drive was closed so sears asked to bring it back next week. Now the first time I took it to sears was 03-10-2012 and I took it back 03-17-2012 to get my brakes fixed I called drive time right before sears did to make sure that drive time would fix my car and I was told yes that drive time would still fix the brakes on my car later on sears called drive time to confirm that they would fix my car but drive time denied my claim and would not fix my car so I talked to drive time to find out why and that told me that I had went passed 30 day and they will not pay for it but I had told drive time about my car before the 30 days and I told they should fix my car but they refused so I later on I filed a complaint a about my brakes and how they would not fix my car and they called me back and told me the reason why my claim was denied was because I went over a certain amount of miles but that was not what I was told before then on the 07-12-2012 all of my brakes lights went out at the same time I called drive time about that and they told me if it was electrical they would not fix it later on I found out that Hyundai had a recall on the 2007 elantra for the problem that I was having with the brakes lights and Hyundai fixed free but drive had this car in 2011 when Hyundai had another recall on the 2007 elantra and drive time did not take it to Hyundai get what needed to be fixed on the car on fixed. 07-17-2012, I took my car to, Hyundai and they found other things wrong with my car. My transmission fluid is black and needs to be flush as well as my coolant and my timing belt is also bad and need to be changed. I went to drive time to let they know what Hyundai had found and asked them to fix my car and they told me I needed to call the warranty repair line to file a claim and also he slipped up and said that all the things that is wrong with my car should have been fix so called and I talked to my case worker that was assigned to me and I told Denise (the case worker) about the new problems with my car and Denise told me to take it to one of the repair shops that they could look at my car but I have to pay 50 dollars so they can look at the problems with my car at the time I did not have the money to pay 50 dollars so I waited until I had the money and I been down thru this with drive time already once before so called back to make sure my car would be fixed and I was told that if it is a maintenance problem that they would not fix it and they said that they don’t do maintenance on cars that they just fix broke cars and basically told me that I would have to wait until my car breaks down for drive time to fix it and I told them what if I am driving and my car brakes down I would be stuck on the side of the road and that I am telling drive time about the problem now for them to fix it before it happens and they said if that happens that why they offer road side assistance so drive time still will not fix my car and they gentleman at Hyundai Gene Schneider told me that drive time should not have sold me a car is bad condition and that my car should have been fixed before they sold it to me he also said that the timing belt on my car should have been change a 60, 000 miles but was not changed drive time did inspection on my car 09-28-2011 and did not check or over looked the fact that this car needed worked done on it. Now all the things that is wrong with my car I could not have done because I just got this car in February and drive time refuse to fix my car

• Be
    Belovedlard Jul 13, 2012

I have not read through all the complaints yet it took only the first one and last one to convenience me NOT TO GO WITH DRIVETIME!!!. I am totally apologetic to everyone with the negative and hurtful preys that wicked hearted people do to those out of a sincere and honest necessity. It is very sad how corrupted the heart of man has become throughout the years.. Sorry for your experiences and losses. I pray that you all will receive the full compensation due from trouble caused by unnecessary greed...

If I can help anyone... As your credit is not so good like mine was, I would request that you can get a free pull of your credit in a year if you pull from one creditor within a 3 month radius. Meaning pull from experian three months later from equifax and then again three months later from trans union. Suggestion is that you pay off your lowest bill or arrange payments to pay these debts one at a time. Most collectors will even give you a cut and this goes on your credit that you are trying to pay off these debts. Truth is we created these problems so we are responsible for them. Some people will tell you not to but you have to look at it this way... DRIVETIME... For those in the Houston, Humble, Kingwood, or surrounding cities try this Program called Ways To Work Family Services, they are helping people like us to get on our feet in this area, and they just started helping people with no dependants. Other cites and states go to your information directory and check and see if this program has come to or near your living locations. Then plus the by product of their assistance is that they help us to avoid hassles like Drive Time... Wish you the best in the future

• La
    Larry Cole Sep 20, 2011

DRivetime is a ripoff! They add $2, 500 to the price of the car for a warranty that is useless!

• Na
    nascarlady29 Jul 27, 2011

Doesn't anybody know who owns DriveTime . Here's a hint, 2 felons by the name of Ernie Garcia, and the co.president Ray Fadel . Ring a bell anyone. Well back in 1988, 89 they were involved with the saving and loan fraud in Phoenix Az. with Charles Keating . They turned state evidence and testify against Keating. They avoided a jail sentences. They are crooks .Thats why they can sleep at night .

shareese Jun 15, 2011

I agree with everyone they sell over priced broken down cars. I will NEVER tell anybody to come to drive time.

• Do
    Dont88 May 17, 2011

i have recently started financing a vehicle from DRIVETIME and have had a number of problems since we have had it recently i called CHrysler the car manufacture and found out by them running my vin number on the car that the car has alot of recalls that have not been fixed five point inspection my A** dont go here

• Bo
    Boo Hoo drivetime Apr 21, 2011

I have'nt had my car for a month and I have already had to get an oil change. The cd player doent work. And not the car cuts off when I put it in drive. I called the dealership and the said they cant do anything and reffered me to the warrenty department. They gave me numbers to a repair shop. I ask will I have to pay out of pocket since I havent had the car for 30 day. the lady said that I might but she's not sure. They claim that if your car needs repairs then they will get you a rental. I have been with out a car for 39 hours. I'm paying a car note and I have to ride the city bus to work. THANKS DRIVETIME

• Ln
    LNKellerman Feb 15, 2011

My question is, did anyone that bought a faulty car take a mechanic with them to Drive Time to inspect the car before purchase? Some of the situations that I have read about could easily be identified as you are test driving/looking under the hood. I have been reading numerous reviews/complaints and no one mentions that. I understand that because of my crappy credit, I will pay more than the car is worth, and pay higher interest rates, I'm fine with that because I am in need of a vehicle, but I will also be taking my fiance that is a mechanic to check the vehicle out before I sign any final papers. Also, I have spoken with a DT rep, and they said you have a 3(?) day return period if you decide the car is junk. Did anyone take advantage of this?

• Ls
    Lsport8585 Feb 04, 2011

My credit was a 620 I paid 550 down and have a 28% interest rate. I pay over 250 every two weeks. Here is the kicker, The car is dead. I still have to pay on it till Nov. 2014. Dt don't care. I'm telling you listen to all the people here. The only ones that said any thing good about DT are the employees. Thats cause they make money off of you. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Nothing about them can end up good. I will never buy from them again. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me.

• Ju
    juliet cooke Jan 07, 2011

Drive time tells a hold lot of lies to people who are having hard times; I feel that drive time should be reported to TV 10. All they do is take your money and lie about your monthly payment, because they told me that I will be making monthly payment but later I found out that they take monthly payment from you twice a month. And if you get paid three times that month they will take money each time, that is not a monthly payment and I feel something need to be done about this company. If I could it do all over again, I would not pick drive time so I tell you out there please check with other people before buying from drive time? And after you get a car from them their customer service is bad because they talk to you any kind of way and will call you if you are one day late. I will never get another car from them again even if they were the last car dealer on land I'll walk first. They are liars and that is the truth all they want is your money they really do not care about you or your credit problems and they also charge you twice the price for the car that you get from them and that is something else that they do not fully explain to you. For my car I pay too much for monthly payment. It really should be a limitation for what they are during too people. maybe we should get together and get the BBB on them or talk to TV 10 to let everybody know what they are during too people out here.

• Ju
    juliet cooke Jan 07, 2011

Drive time tells a hold lot of lies to people who are having hard times; I feel that drive should be reported to TV 10. All they do is take your money and lie about your monthly payment, because they told me that I will be making monthly payment but later I found out that they take monthly payment from you twice a month. And if you get paid three times that month they will take money each time, that is not a monthly payment and I feel something need to be done about this company. If I could it all over again me would not pick drive time so I tell you out there please check with other people before buying from drive time? And after you get a car from them their customer service sick they talk to any kind of way and call you if you are late one day. I will never get another car from them even if they are the last car dealer on land I'll wake first. They are liars and that is the truth all they want is your money they really do not care about you or your credit problems and they charge you twice the price for the car that you get from them and that is something else that they do not fully explain to you. For my car I pay too much for monthly payment. It really should be a limitation for what they are during two people maybe we should stand together and get the BBB on them and talk to TV 10 to let everybody know what they are during two people out here.

• Fo
    former DT patron Oct 31, 2010

I HOPE THEY GO OUT OF BUSINESS AND ROT! I've paid off 2 cars with them (which my husband decided to buy from them while I was at work) and THEY ARE [censor]S THAT SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS!

THEY PUT MY BOSS'S PHONE NUMBER ON THEIR AUTDIALER EVERY TWO WEEKS NO MATTER WHAT! I've ALWAYS PAID ON TIME AND $20 MORE EACH TIME!

I HATE THEM AND I HOPE THAT COMPANY DIES!!!

• 11
    1122radio Oct 06, 2010

I too was ripped off by Drive Time. All their cars are way over priced. The interest rates are extremely high! BUYER BEWARE! DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY! I went to Drive Time whenI felt I didn't have any other option. They shouldn't be called Drive Time; they should be called Last Resort. I would only reccommend this company if you have really bad credit and desperately need a vehicle. In matter of fact, save up $1500 and buy an old car to get to point A to point B. Rebuild your credit and go somewhere ele. You will have to be able to put down at least $1, 000 to $1, 500 anyway to get a car from Drive Time. So save up and take a bus or ask someone for a ride until you can get a vehicle elsewhere.REMEMBER THIS! I WISH SOMEONE HAD WARNED ME!

• Le
    let's do this...baby! Sep 16, 2010

I just submitted an application to work for DT. I've been selling cars for 9 years at the same place and was top man in 06 and 07 in sales. They sent me an email and said I don't have what they're looking for. Wow. What a place.
    To all those who are thinking about a car with " not the best credit." Add up the payments: That 8K dollar car will cost 20K after all is said and done. Plus insurance. Take public transportation, ask a friend from work for a ride (offer to pay) or even a relative. $$$$$$$$$ Give yourself the 20K. You earned it.

• Su
    SuchaQT Jul 28, 2010

For me the issue wasn't credit but the fact that I had not been at my current job long enough for traditional car dealerships that brought me to DT. Based upon appearances they seemed like they had decent vehicles.
    I should have run when I had the chance, as all of the aforementioned signs were there! Upon arrival at DT I chose my vehicle left 1/2 of the required deposit and agreed to pick up my vehicle in 2 weeks. I decided to pick up the vehicle early and guess what they had sold the car!! Yes, the one I left a deposit on!! After having a few choice words with the sales manager and dialing BBB in his face when he said they couldn't refund my deposit they begged and pleaded for me not to call BBB and Secretary of State---they agreed to use my deposit as my down payment towards any car on the lot keep my payments under 400 blah, blah, blah. For the 1st year I was very on point w making my payments in a timely manner. At about 1 1/2 my job had to make some major cuts that effected pay and medical benefits. I was still over income to qualify for any special medical programs. And, then it hit...of course!! My son has to have surgery and all of a sudden I am paying specialists, pediatricians, hospitals, prescriptions out of pocket. It was my intention to pay the car off early but my 7k went to medical expenses. My car payment starts slipping due to medical expenses/not having full pay due to taking time off for my son and the collection calls start coming. To the point I was being called 10-15 times a day at work---when I told the DT Loan Sprvsr. this she said this was impossible; I asked for a fax number so I could fax her my call history and she refused to give it to me. I asked repeatedly and she started telling me I was being rude, I was hostile, I was angry, etc. Typical things that collectors say when they are not able to answer questions. I asked her to review my account for any notations of a conversation that I had with another representative just 3 days prior to her call regarding being set up on a deferred payment plan...and guess what 'no notation'!! WOW!! She continues to tell me I'm being rude and talking to her like a child because I am asking questions regarding my account/my money (oh, yeah--made payment on Monday w/confirmation code & rep. sd they don't see payment) yet she still will not answer any question I'm asking. I specifically, asked for any other form that may utilize as it is evident that when they are speaking with you they are not always being honest in conversation and you may end up with a whole other scenario depending on the next representative you get. She then asks me what other types of communication are there----uhhh, letter/mail, fax, email, etc. And, guess what they don't have any of those things!! I refuse to continue to speak with someone via phone and have them blatantly lie to me! If I had truly gone with my gut, I would've gone to the 'real' car dealership across the street and just put down more money!
    Oh, and let's not forget the DT SalesRep who showed up at my job and pretended as if he were looking for a medical office...uh, huh! Yeah...can you say stalking! And, then asks me out! And, no he wasn't there on DT business my loan was currrent++ at that time.
    DT hires people who would not traditionally be hired anywhere else!! At $8.25-$10.00 you get what you pay for I guess, it's sad that their customers end up suffering the ignorance of these DT derelicts.

• Ne
    Neutral DT Jul 22, 2010

I agree with most of the negative complaints.. I have a vehicle from DT as well. I have minimal credit so alot of other dealers wanted more down then DT or they wanted me to sign a more then 4 year contract... DT did the opposite. I heard both good and bad about them. My side of the story is that they are fair with credit. BUT the one complaint I do have is their calls... I had my account set up to auto withdrawal, DT somehow messed that up and cancelled it, so I had to make payments in the store as I do not provide account #s over the phone or online to avoid being robbed. THEN they decide to cut that as part of their services and refer me to pay at WAL MART... no thanks. They also list several vendors who take DT payments... none of them do... when I call DT they give me the run around. THANK THE LORD for one smart person at DT who was able to actually help me with re settting the auto deductions from my bank account after 2 employees and a supposed supervisor told me they couldn't do that for me. DT harrasses people for payments and I know why now, they have nothing better to do with their day when so many people complain about their CS they must be losing buisness left and right. The upside to DT is they are fair with credit issues the downside is their CS and courtesy.

• Kv
    KVA Jun 29, 2010

THEY ARE THE MOST DUMBEST DEALERSHIP I HAVE EVER BOUGHT A CAR FROM, PERIOD POINT BLANK, THEY ARE A RIPOFF AND THEY GET OFF ON DOING IT TO EVERYONE, AND ITS LIKE WHEN I ASK TO SPEAK TO A REAL MANAGER, THERE ISNT ONE. ITS LIKE A SCAM ALL AROUND, ANYTHING TO GET YOU IN A CAR!!! EXCUSE MY FRENCH, BUT [censor] THEM. I HAVE ACTUALLY TOLD THEM THAT TO THERE FACE, SO NOTHING NEW. BASICALLY THEY TELL YOU THAT EVERYDAY LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

DONT BE FOOLED. BETTER LOOK ELSEWHERE, GETTING A VEHICLE IS NOT THAT SERIOUS, TRUST

• Vy
    vyh23 May 16, 2010

I agree with most of the complaints on here, I bought an 02 focus lx that I am still paying for as well and my engine light on came on a few days after I took the car home & they told me I would have to go to their repair center which was a 3-4 hous away and that I would still have to pay the service fees. I have a full time job and kids to take care of, like I really have the time or money! I read the carfax before buying and it was clean so there's no excuse, they probably had it reset so the light would go off hoping someone wouldn't notice. They are preying on innocent people and you reps can argue otherwise, because that is your job! This is the first car I've owned, I came here without any previous credit history. I realized before buying that I would end up paying more than the car was worth and that the finance rate was high and I was fine with that because I didn't have much of a choice. I've made the payments on time for over a year and the one month I ask for a few weeks extension, the rude lady on the phone wants to literally argue with me and say that it's not possible. Horrible customer service!! Now I only owe less than $5000 on the car so if they aren't willing to work with me just this once then I will not waste anymore money and take my business elsewhere. I would not recommend drivetime to anyone, not even as a last resort.

• Mi
    Michael73 Apr 04, 2010

I have been reading all the complaints on different sites about this company, and I have seen the employees try to defend... I have NEVER seen so many terrible complaints about ONE company in my life... While I agree with the employees that some don't pay their bills and I agree that nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to over pay and buy a crappy car. DRIVETIME IS STILL AT FAULT... Drivetime CHOSE to rip people off, that was their decision, and no amount of ignorance on the side of the the buyers excuses Drivetime of their illegal behavior. I find it amazing that none of the complainers thought to go to the police and file charges. At a minimum go to the local news channel for help, but also remember that you have the right to arbitration, so file it...

Make sure anyone who rips off the public goes out of business... I wish you all luck, but keep talking so that everybody knows to stay away from this company...

• Fr
    Fran1965 Mar 18, 2010

I too was screwed royally by DriveTime. My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has a blue book value ( that I didnt know anything about til my mechanic boyfriend ran the numbers a few months ago ) of about $1600. But I was charged $11, 000 dollars and another $5000 for financing. I've owned it for 19 months and have had one problem after another with it. The engine light is on right now as I speak.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, where you've already payed 2 to 3 times the price your vehicle is worth ( and repair bills ) and still owe several thousand dollars on it please contact me at:

[email protected]

I have an idea that will ( possibly )only work if we ban together. Please have copies of all repair bills and the blue book price quote for your car. No guarantees but its worth a try.

Thanks, Fran

• 1f
    1FuckingUnhappyCustomer Oct 10, 2019

@Fran1965 Hey what is this email address? Bad DT experience in AZ

• Sc
    schultzwife Mar 14, 2010

Don't buy from them. I am trying to pay off my load as quickly as possible to get out from under the junker they talked me in to. It is a decent mini-van but not for what they charged me. I won't buy from them again. Like most, I was desperate to get a vehicle and didn't have very good credit. Luckily, this company has allowed me to change that b/c I make my payments on time. But, I recommend use the Dave Ramsey method in the future...buy a cheap used car with cash, drive for a year while making car payments to yourself, then sell car and upgrade to a better used car using the money you paid yourself over that year and the money you get from selling the car...repeat...That is my plan for the future!

• Gt
    gthrash456789 Mar 09, 2010

Don't you folks test drive your car before you commit to buying it? Don't you request a Carfax report? I know there are a lot of people, including myself, who need help...but there is some due diligence on your part also. Do your homework. Research cars. Test drive them. Bring a mechanic or someone who knows cars with you to the dealer. Don't fall in love with any car. When the sales guy senses that you need him more than he needs you...you're screwed.

• He
    HerringFish Feb 25, 2010

You people posting on here are truely unblievible. As far as the quality of their vehicles, I do not know, but I know one thing, if you don't know anything about cars, take somebody with you that does. That's pretty simple.
    Secondly, you are paying 3 to 4 times what the car is worth, you are kidding me, you can't be that dumb. Of course you are, you have bad credit, if you had good credit you would be buying from a new car dealer at very low rates. You screwed up your credit, they didn't. It might have been to conditions beyond your control, but that is your problem, not theirs. They did not have to sell you the car, and if they didn't, who would have, probably nobody any better. You signed a contract. The contract tells you the interest rate and it tells you how much you will have paid at the end of the loan. You blame them if you didn't read the contract or made a bad decision. That's your fault, not theirs. Attitudes like this is why you are at DriveTime to begin with, blaming everybody else for your stupidy. Also, I bet you onaced the the didn'tjust pick your name out of the phone book and say, hey, let's sell them a car.
    I am on this site because I have bad credit and DriveTime is one of the options I am considering. But if I make a bad decision, I'm not going to whine and moan about DriveTime. It will be my fault, not theirs. I have had medical issues that destroyed my financial rating, and I must admit that I have also made some bad decisions, but they were my fault, nobody else. Nobody put a gun to my or your head and said, you have to do this. My God, no wonder some of you have bad credit and had to go to Drivetime, stupid is as stupid does. Geez, start being a descent human being and take the blame for your own actions and stop blaming other people for your stupidity. They are in business to make money, they lend to people that they know might not pay for the car, that's what they do, period.
    Also, about selling the repo for 1/3 to 1/2 of it's value. Most states require that they put the car up for auction, they can not resale it, and you are given notice to the time of the auction and a chance to buy the car just like anybody else. So again, don't blame them if you do not know the laws, they do.
    R Herring

• Se
    sewalk64 Feb 04, 2010

You know what i agree that Drive Time is fool of it. Now the first time i went to them i got a pretty decent car being that my credit was not all that to begin with. I made all my payments on time every month and didnt have too many issues with the car just normal upkeep. Finally paid off the car. When i went to go get my title from them me being stupid i let them talk me into another car. Much nicer than the one i had just paid off plus they said since i was such a good customer i could drive off without having to pay a down payment. Now if i was thinking with a clear head i could have went to a much better dealership and gotten a new car being that my credit had improved. But they got me with the no down payment and warranty. I get the car that same night. The first week i was having problems. The brakes were acting up i call them they tell me oh its prob just some brake dust built up thats normal. Now at that time i only had a 30 day warranty this was back in 2003 2004. Everytime i called with an issues they kept giving me the run around. I felt like they were trying to waste time until my 30 days ran so they wouldnt be responsible for fixing anything. Of course thats what happen and i ended up having to take it to a mechanic myself. And that just open up a can of worms when it came to issues with the car. I didnt even have it for a good year when it broke down. Finally i told them im not paying for a car i cant even drive and you can come pick it up. That was the end of that. Then they have the nerve to call me and ask me to come back. Because they have improved on there customer service. Never again will i go through that. Then the icing on the cake is im being charged by the city for personal property taexes on that car that i have not owned since 2003 2004. and have to deal with DT once again to get documents showing when the car went back to them. So this is going to be very interesting.

Shakil Oct 30, 2009

It is so funny about the employee of DT trying to defend the actions of this criminal enterprise. DT reminds me of these PayDay Loan places who have no back bone and love to exploit the poor. They both justify Usury (not interest) and when you can not pay, they stick it to you. Within a few weeks of purchasing a vehicle, my wife lost her job. I have been struggeling to make my note on the car. When I ask for assistance, they say Oh too bad, your loan has been only around for 6 months. So I told them to come and pick up the car and shove it up their ###. Public transportation sounds good to me.

• Mi
    michhelle t Oct 16, 2009

I agree with everyone else expect the people who works for them. Drivetime has ripe me a new one to the point I can think straight. I would not recommend anyone to deal with these people. I have to go file a small claims on them to keep them from ruining my credit. I have never been late over the 2 1/2 yrs i had the car. My car dies at anytime. I so mad I can't even write an ymore. I hope they would be shut down so they can prey on the poor anymore!!!

• Re
    redbaby4u Sep 26, 2009

i fell you should take down DT, they treat me like i am not a human. DT do pray on people who need them, and to tell you the truth, the blue book value vs, the amount i am paying for is a rip off.

• In
    Investigator of Corp. Aug 29, 2009

Hi my name is, well, you know. I work for a corporation who investigate companies like Drivetime and forced them to go out of business. I hate to say it these complaints are trully true, is just a matter of time Drivetime will go down the drain. Employees of Drivetime start looking for a new job, Drivetime have no future to offer. look out Drivetime I'am watching. Who knows I might be the person you are interviewing.

• Si
    silkymo32 Aug 12, 2009

My experience with DT is notated as above. Not bad, but because they are a sub-prime lender, dont expect treatment as if you were at Mercedes Benz of Newport Beach.

I am still on time/ahead and have repaired (used various facets of law to remove many negartives off credit reports, opened new secured loans/secured credit card) credit, and will look elswhere once it is time to purchase another vehicle.

Use DT, do not allow DT to use you.

• Ti
    tigerinfla Aug 11, 2009

considering buying from DT...where are the positive remarks?

• Ti
    tigerinfla Aug 11, 2009

lemon law not just for new cars. exceptions for used depending on status/warranty. do not buy as is.. Impossible to recoup anything.