DriveTimedrivetime preys on people who need help

I purchased a vehicle from DriveTime in October '06. The people in the showroom were very friendly, really too friendly. I bought a vehicle because I needed one. If I could have purchased the same vehicle new, it would have cost me less. The price I paid for the '01 Ford Focus was a rip-off. The bluebook on the vehicle was $3300 less than what I paid for it. I was told the vehicle had just one previous owner, a little old lady in Sarasota.

Why didn't I listen to the horns and sirens that were going off in my head? I needed a car. The check engine light was on when I started the car to leave. When I said something to a salesman outside, he said not to worry, they go off all the time - OK.

With 1 week, I was driving and the gas pedal wouldn't work. The car didn't have any acceleration. A few feet later the car died, on a busy road. When I called DriveTime and asked for help, they said I had to the Warranty Department. I did and they were closed already for the week. It was 3:20 on a Friday afternoon. When I called the store I purchased the vehicle from, the Sales Manager seemed to know exactly what was wrong - the compressor.

This is real nice, I live in FL, it is hot and humid here 11 months of the year. The salesman wouldn't help me and when I spoke with the manager, I was told someone would contact me back, that was 3 weeks ago. I filed a Lemon Law Complaint with the Better Business Bureau but haven't heard anything yet. When I took this car to a real mechanic, I was told: "The oil hasn't been changed in at least 9000 miles, the tires are bare, the compressor is out (like I needed to know that) and the brakes would go out.

Now, when I spoke with someone from the Warranty Department the following Monday, I was told the oil was changed the week before I purchased it, there were new brakes, there were 2 new tires on the car. I'd really like to know where those 2 new tires are, they're not on the vehicle I have. I thought I was the only one who got the shaft, I didn't realize it was everyone who went in there. Also, this car, according to a vehicle history report I received, not the non-existent one from Experian, this vehicle has been bought, repossessed and resold more times than I had the patience to weed through.

DriveTime preys on people like me, who need help. Yes, they do not give a crap about the vehicle they've sold you. But, if you are late on a payment, you'd better have Caller-ID, they are on you like a fly on you know what.

Good Luck. Hopefully after reading this comments from everyone who has been screwed, you too, will not!

antionett burnett Sep 18, 2007

I have had numerous problems with drivetime from day one. There are so many that I cant talk about them here. But I did have car issues since day 1 and I seemed to have gotten the run around from them on fixing my car. I too was referred to the warranty dept only to get my car looked at and fixed.....only to have my car stop running again. I tried to trade my car in only to find out that no bank would havemy car...because i owe more than the car is worth!!! So i have to put money down PLUS using my car as a trade in. So I feel like im stuck...my car will be paid off next year ( i have had this car since 05)....PLEASE HELP! Im sick of drivetime and their calls 80 times a day everytime im late.....the having to explain to each person I call and each person giving me THEIR REASON about what to do !!!!

• Me
    me me Feb 18, 2008

I just bought a car on the feb 8 2008 and im pissed first this car shakes i ve been through the warranty dept they sent me to there mechanic 3 times 1 they balanced my tires then then it still had same problem so i took it back then they said my rims were bent so they put new rims then it still shook so i took it back then they changed the left front axle still shakes took it back now they wanna put it under diognosis machine i dont no but it seems these mechanic our as crooked as dt and they our working togeth=er my next step is to make a complaint at bettet business bereau.do not go to drive time no matter how good there warranty sounds it aint good.

• Vi
    Virginia Apr 17, 2008

I was like the others in need of a vehicle and I have been having problems since i bought my car in March 08. The first day it was shaking so bad i took it in and they fixed it. I am still having problems with it but everytime i talk to the repair department i am told that i have to pay 40 dollars to see what is wrong with it. And then they have to approve it to get fixed... I don't have 40 dollars everytime something goes wrong... Here it is now in April and i still have not tags or license plates. I keep calling and all they keep telling me is they are the DMV. My brother bought a car from Auto City and he got his plates within 2 weeks of buying it. I feel so stupid and just wento some where else... Now i am stuck with a car i hate, and have to pay for 4 years because of my creidt. I think i have learned my lesson and will NEVER EVER buy from DRIVE TIME...

Michelle jackson May 19, 2008

this is so true!!! i wish i would've never purchased a car from drivtime. The people are very rud sometimes and the don't try to work with customers!! Hopefully i can find a car with less payment and and less headache and i would never reffer anybody to drive time not even my worst enemy...

• Dr
    DriveTime Employee May 24, 2008

I work for this company. We do not prey on anyone. We help customers re establish credit. Our vehicles go through a rigorous inspection. We provide a Warranty on every vehicle. 6month/6, 000 mile. Most Pre owned vehicles dont come with any type of warranty, and if they do, they charge you extra for them. As far as the collectors calling, they call for you own good, to keep your loan on track, to BUILD your credit, not hurt it!

• As
    Ashley from Tampa Jun 10, 2008

Long story short... Bought a car from DriveTime. Made ALL the Payments on time and paid more than what was due each time. Had the car for 4 months. Car broke down. DriveTime reffered me to Warranty Dept. Warranty Dept Reffered us to a repair shop. Repair shop submitted request to fix. Drivetime denied request. Went back and forth for 2wks while our car was at the shop. Have warranty in black and white stating this problem was covered. Shop said it was 500.00 to fix PLUS I'd better not be late on that weeks payment of nearly 200.00. Voluntarily gave DriveTime back their POS after paying shop 40 fee. Currently getting information together to sue them and guess what...DriveTime has no record of our vehicle ever being in the shop OR having any mechanical problems!!! Oh, and once again they said our car was owned by one little old lady down in Bradenton/Sarasota. Hahahaha DriveTime Employee above... you are sad! Eventually they will be out of business and you will be out of a job! Are you the jerk that sold us this car?

• Fo
    Former DT Sales Manager Nov 02, 2008

I worked for Drivetime for over two years, 90% of the customers couldn't get a loan for a car from anyone else, due to the way they handled their finances in the past. No brag just fact. They pay their their bills according to their own plan, not according to contractual terms. If you are pissed off about the price you paid, that's on you... no one put a gun to your head and forced you to buy! And you must be a total ### thinking the "Lemon Law" applies to a well used car. I bet you said to everyone "I'm not responsible for my stupid decisions, the state and BBB should fix this 'cause I shouldn't be able to make decisions on my own". If DT is the only place you can get approved for a car loan, you have bigger problems than your Ford Focus. Maybe you should fix the financial issues that put you in their showroom first and buy a $1000 junker in the mean time. And as far as the DT employee saying the collector calls are for you own good...who the hell do you think you are talking to, a 4-year old? Buy-here pay-here car sales have very high losses, that's why these folks pay interest rates well over credit card rates and sometimes 4 times or more over standard used car rates. This is why DT trys to get as much cash up front, they plan three-forths of the loans to fail. High price, high down payment, high monthly payments and many calls per day when late.

Good luch to everyone who made a mistake buying from DT and other dealers like them, and congrats to everyone who bought a car and to it to full ownership and enhanced their credit so much they can get a "real car loan". Sorry to be so abrupt but it's reality! I know everyone is not car savvy when the need a car, but find some one with real world knowledge and ask for help. Don't make a 3 or 4 year loan decision lightly! If you want to talk to people like DT and others, go on in but don't take any money, your checkbook or debit card, so you cannot make a decision while you are there. Ask for a copy of the financing contract and warranty to take home and read. They will tell you they can't but the can, it's part of their power out procedures to have blank contracts available should the computer or power go out. Spend $80 buck to have a mechanic go to their lot for a half-hour and check out the vehicle. Don't buy an $8000 paperweight!

One trick to get out of the deal in the first 90 days is the "unwind". Where both parties agree to act as if the deal didn't happen, except DT keeps all monies already paid. If you stop payment or bounce a check on the downpayment.. automatic. Or also in the first 90 days, you can call and say you just lost your job and don't know when you will be able to get another job to retart payments. I guarantee they will let you out of the deal with out it being a repo! Have fun!

• Ca
    Candice Harrell Nov 09, 2008

I feel just like everyone else. Drive Time sucks!!! I know so many people who have gotten cars(including myself) and have had to do a voluntary repo because it is way to expensive every two weeks. I loan is period and financing is out of control. Drivetime is a shark and it is a matter of time before they are caught up with. I have learned to slow down and shop around. There a plenty of places that will work with your credit and the financing is better. They are so annoying, they try to threaten people with repo's. They just don't know, most people will gladly let them have it back. Once they tried to say if I bought the car back I would still be responsible for the loan, I wish I would pay for a loan to a car I don't have! I told the annoying you-know-what where they could go. Notice: BEWARE OF DRIVE TIME

• Ce
    Certified Medical Biller Nov 11, 2008

Hey dtmanager!

Looking at your response, I can see why people have what appears to be a valid complaint. YOu give the car industry a bad name. I wouldnt buy a car from you or drivetime no matter if you guys paid me to drive one of your cars.

MICHAEL Dec 04, 2008

I agree with everyone of these complaints. My hours were cut at work and could barely make mort. payment so I gave my car back which they could have put back out for sale and got their money for it. Instead they sold it at the auction so they say for a third of what I owe and today I get a call from a lawyer in New Jersey saying I have to pay the remaining $8900 or they will garnish my wages. I wonder if they can legally do that, especially a lawyer from Jersey. Wonderif he's on the Florida bar? Now I don't know what to do if they do garnish my wages because I barely make ends meet now. **DO NOT GO TO DRIVTIME!!!THEY WILL SCREW YOU EVERY CHANCE THEY GET!!!

• Si
    silkymo32 May 09, 2009

Well...haven't had too much of a problem. I purch a 2006 Dodge Magnum with alot of miles on it (60, 000) and I have driven the vehicle everywhere without problem. I keep the maintenance (oil, tranny fluid, tire rotation) up to date, and don't use cheap watered down gas like Arco (use Chevron or Mobil regular). The vehicle (for the mileage) has not had any inch of a problem, I have been ahead most of the time on payments (I pay 50-60 more than required bi-weekly & had the car for almost a year now), and was recently laid off.

I used the room I had in which I was ahead and when it was time to start paying again, I worked alot of odd jobs to make the 400/mo payment. I can tell, these people deal with alot of crap...as it shows in their attitude. I would think with my stellar payment history for nearly a year (never more than 9 days late, and when I was it was for 45 dollars) woul warrant a decent attitude.

About two weeks ago, I still owed 45 dollars on my payment which was 9 days late. I get the collection calls, and ignore them because I know I am going to pay it. I then get a notice that they called one of my references. That was a first, and it sucked. I was HOT, and embarassed. For 45.00.

I called the rep who called me, and I could tell she was under pressure to collect as she looked at my account and basically explained that she was told to call by her manager...as I could tell she thought it was pretty pathetic as well.

I paid it, as I had already planned to...yet because of something in the crazy nature such as that (the company being such a vulchure for 45.00 worth of beans) I (most likely) will not be a repeat customer. I actually considered them, and thought about recommending them as a repeat customer.

Not. I will in all liklihood refi at a lower rate somehwere else as my credit score is bumping up with my excellent payment history on my DT loan, and new credit card and loans that I have taken out and never been late on as well.

I am neutral, I guess because it is a "sub"prime company dealing with bad credit...they tend to treat everyone the same.

If you uy a car here. get a GOOD one. Not a Ford. Bad Finance company, Bad reputation cars + a crappy warranty (6, 000 miles & limited at that) = a bad deal.

I am in the market for a warranty to cover me JIC, though I am pretty stellar so far. I recommend treading lightly here. If you dont have much $$$$, dont spend the little you have here.

Get a junker, fix it up and not ruin your credit by hoping the car you would be put in at DT will not break down...yet things like the check engine light are on, etc.

Tread lightly.

• Li
    Lisa May 29, 2009

You know, if this company is so great why doesn't the former DT employee not work there anymore? You can be making your payments on time for over half of the loan agreement, but if you fall behind and ask for help, you are turned on. I hate Drivetime.

• Ta
    tango4449 Jun 25, 2009

Add me to the list of folks who hate DT. I admit I'm not a money-smart person, but I'm not stupid either. When I went into DT for the first time I'd been car-less for over a year because my beloved old car died and I didn't think I could afford a new one (well, used, but new). I told the sales guy I could pay about $200 a month. After about 3 hours of listening to endless details about the DT plan and documents my mind was numb. The guy said there wasn't anything under $400 a month available, so I recalculated my resources and decided I could manage it. The two big enticements were cleaning up my credit and finally being able to get around without depending on other people. Several months later, when I began to feel the burden, I looked at the contract again. I'm paying $17, 000 for a $5, 000 car! AND...it wasn't all that it appeared to be when I bought it. They gave me a key with a remote door-opener. When I got the car home and tried it, it didn't work. Called DT and they said it must need a battery. That didn't help, so then DT said take it to a Ford dealer to reset the mechanism. The Ford dealer discovered the car wasn't even wired for remote opening. DT's response was: Well, the remote must've belonged to a different car. Sorry. AND I didn't test the stereo system, and in my mind-boggled state I didn't notice there was no CD player. AND I found out later that the cigarette lighter isn't wired either, so my car charger doesn't work. I feel violated.

• Su
    SuperVepr Jun 25, 2009

Nothing good can come from frequenting these places. They make their money by raping people that believe they need a car NOW. Don't do it. Take the bus, hitch a ride, etc until you save up the money to buy a car from a real dealership.

• Dt
    DT is not so bad Jul 23, 2009

Hi,

I work at driveTime and here is the truth. We put an average of $2000 into each car before it even makes it to the lot and then we back it up with a 6 month, 6000 mile warranty. We give you the history of the vehicle and report to all the 3 credit bureaus. Well, you ask so whats the big deal. Well, here it is. I am a sales person and I do my best to get customers into a car because everyone needs a second chance. You have to understand that customers come in and most have a FICO score of 480 or less. yes, you heard me right. When we pull the credit report, there are pages and pages of Collection and charge off accounts. I have seen a customer with 27 different companies that have done business with the customer and they have not paid a single person. Not even 1. Not 1 current account. You have to understand that credit history shows how you have paid back your debt to all the companies you have done business with. Most of Drivetimes customers cannot get financed any where else but Drivetime takes a chance anyway. It is a chance to get a quality vehicle and repair your credit. yes, the interest rate is high and the price of the car is more than some other dealerships. But it is an opportunity to turn your life around. At the end of the day, it is a used car and when the warranty runs out, it is your responsibity to maintain and fix the car and make the car payment. It is not a Drivetime thing but it is the same no matter what car company you go to. Even with the opportunity, most our DT customer miss payments, default and make the employees lifes miserable. We give you a chance but since you have never been taught about credit and paying back your debt, you fall into the same issues as before. No company is perfect and there are issues with some cars but overall the company does provide an excellent service. If you dont see that, you will continue the same behavior and remain below a sub prime customer. The choice is yours.

• Ra
    Rayhitt Dec 15, 2017

@DT is not so bad So I guess having bad credit gives you the right to destroy their credit even worse with a car that isnt worth the payments they are making on them. Brand new cars and trucks dont cost as much per month as these piece of [censor] cars you guys are chargeing top dollar for. People with bad credit has no chance because sooner or later things happen in life that insure you want be able to afford two mortgages. 280.00 twice sometime three times a week is ridiculous. And then when you get the car back a car that someone owes 13, 000 for sells for 3, 000. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Someone who is already down on bad credit just gets pushed down even worse. Take advantage of a bad situation and someone in destress and need.

• Dt
    DT is not so bad Jul 23, 2009

Nice comments. but what abou the other 40, 000 customers that are satisfied. where is their story.

• Or
    Orwell Aug 04, 2009

wow DT employees sound a bit more righteous than thou!
    ive had great credit, crappy credit, built it back to great, have had mortg, c.c., car loans, pay offs, repos, been on each end of the financial spectrum & was actually considering a DT vehicle but not so much after all the roasting online! no matter how bad i run my credit to the ground i have dignity & pride! i would never let anyone speak to me as a child in a repremanding demenor! regardless of how i choose to live, people stand your ground! if companies like DT continue to charge outrageous fees, interest & treat you like crap, stand your ground! if we stand united and against then companies wouldnt charge "subprime" creditees the way they do!

• Ti
    tigerinfla Aug 11, 2009

lemon law not just for new cars. exceptions for used depending on status/warranty. do not buy as is.. Impossible to recoup anything.

• Ti
    tigerinfla Aug 11, 2009

considering buying from DT...where are the positive remarks?

• Si
    silkymo32 Aug 12, 2009

My experience with DT is notated as above. Not bad, but because they are a sub-prime lender, dont expect treatment as if you were at Mercedes Benz of Newport Beach.

I am still on time/ahead and have repaired (used various facets of law to remove many negartives off credit reports, opened new secured loans/secured credit card) credit, and will look elswhere once it is time to purchase another vehicle.

Use DT, do not allow DT to use you.

• In
    Investigator of Corp. Aug 29, 2009

Hi my name is, well, you know. I work for a corporation who investigate companies like Drivetime and forced them to go out of business. I hate to say it these complaints are trully true, is just a matter of time Drivetime will go down the drain. Employees of Drivetime start looking for a new job, Drivetime have no future to offer. look out Drivetime I'am watching. Who knows I might be the person you are interviewing.

• Re
    redbaby4u Sep 26, 2009

i fell you should take down DT, they treat me like i am not a human. DT do pray on people who need them, and to tell you the truth, the blue book value vs, the amount i am paying for is a rip off.

michhelle t Oct 16, 2009

I agree with everyone else expect the people who works for them. Drivetime has ripe me a new one to the point I can think straight. I would not recommend anyone to deal with these people. I have to go file a small claims on them to keep them from ruining my credit. I have never been late over the 2 1/2 yrs i had the car. My car dies at anytime. I so mad I can't even write an ymore. I hope they would be shut down so they can prey on the poor anymore!!!

• Sh
    Shakil Oct 30, 2009

It is so funny about the employee of DT trying to defend the actions of this criminal enterprise. DT reminds me of these PayDay Loan places who have no back bone and love to exploit the poor. They both justify Usury (not interest) and when you can not pay, they stick it to you. Within a few weeks of purchasing a vehicle, my wife lost her job. I have been struggeling to make my note on the car. When I ask for assistance, they say Oh too bad, your loan has been only around for 6 months. So I told them to come and pick up the car and shove it up their ###. Public transportation sounds good to me.

• Se
    sewalk64 Feb 04, 2010

You know what i agree that Drive Time is fool of it. Now the first time i went to them i got a pretty decent car being that my credit was not all that to begin with. I made all my payments on time every month and didnt have too many issues with the car just normal upkeep. Finally paid off the car. When i went to go get my title from them me being stupid i let them talk me into another car. Much nicer than the one i had just paid off plus they said since i was such a good customer i could drive off without having to pay a down payment. Now if i was thinking with a clear head i could have went to a much better dealership and gotten a new car being that my credit had improved. But they got me with the no down payment and warranty. I get the car that same night. The first week i was having problems. The brakes were acting up i call them they tell me oh its prob just some brake dust built up thats normal. Now at that time i only had a 30 day warranty this was back in 2003 2004. Everytime i called with an issues they kept giving me the run around. I felt like they were trying to waste time until my 30 days ran so they wouldnt be responsible for fixing anything. Of course thats what happen and i ended up having to take it to a mechanic myself. And that just open up a can of worms when it came to issues with the car. I didnt even have it for a good year when it broke down. Finally i told them im not paying for a car i cant even drive and you can come pick it up. That was the end of that. Then they have the nerve to call me and ask me to come back. Because they have improved on there customer service. Never again will i go through that. Then the icing on the cake is im being charged by the city for personal property taexes on that car that i have not owned since 2003 2004. and have to deal with DT once again to get documents showing when the car went back to them. So this is going to be very interesting.

• He
    HerringFish Feb 25, 2010

You people posting on here are truely unblievible. As far as the quality of their vehicles, I do not know, but I know one thing, if you don't know anything about cars, take somebody with you that does. That's pretty simple.
    Secondly, you are paying 3 to 4 times what the car is worth, you are kidding me, you can't be that dumb. Of course you are, you have bad credit, if you had good credit you would be buying from a new car dealer at very low rates. You screwed up your credit, they didn't. It might have been to conditions beyond your control, but that is your problem, not theirs. They did not have to sell you the car, and if they didn't, who would have, probably nobody any better. You signed a contract. The contract tells you the interest rate and it tells you how much you will have paid at the end of the loan. You blame them if you didn't read the contract or made a bad decision. That's your fault, not theirs. Attitudes like this is why you are at DriveTime to begin with, blaming everybody else for your stupidy. Also, I bet you onaced the the didn'tjust pick your name out of the phone book and say, hey, let's sell them a car.
    I am on this site because I have bad credit and DriveTime is one of the options I am considering. But if I make a bad decision, I'm not going to whine and moan about DriveTime. It will be my fault, not theirs. I have had medical issues that destroyed my financial rating, and I must admit that I have also made some bad decisions, but they were my fault, nobody else. Nobody put a gun to my or your head and said, you have to do this. My God, no wonder some of you have bad credit and had to go to Drivetime, stupid is as stupid does. Geez, start being a descent human being and take the blame for your own actions and stop blaming other people for your stupidity. They are in business to make money, they lend to people that they know might not pay for the car, that's what they do, period.
    Also, about selling the repo for 1/3 to 1/2 of it's value. Most states require that they put the car up for auction, they can not resale it, and you are given notice to the time of the auction and a chance to buy the car just like anybody else. So again, don't blame them if you do not know the laws, they do.
    R Herring

• Gt
    gthrash456789 Mar 09, 2010

Don't you folks test drive your car before you commit to buying it? Don't you request a Carfax report? I know there are a lot of people, including myself, who need help...but there is some due diligence on your part also. Do your homework. Research cars. Test drive them. Bring a mechanic or someone who knows cars with you to the dealer. Don't fall in love with any car. When the sales guy senses that you need him more than he needs you...you're screwed.

• Sc
    schultzwife Mar 14, 2010

Don't buy from them. I am trying to pay off my load as quickly as possible to get out from under the junker they talked me in to. It is a decent mini-van but not for what they charged me. I won't buy from them again. Like most, I was desperate to get a vehicle and didn't have very good credit. Luckily, this company has allowed me to change that b/c I make my payments on time. But, I recommend use the Dave Ramsey method in the future...buy a cheap used car with cash, drive for a year while making car payments to yourself, then sell car and upgrade to a better used car using the money you paid yourself over that year and the money you get from selling the car...repeat...That is my plan for the future!

• Fr
    Fran1965 Mar 18, 2010

I too was screwed royally by DriveTime. My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has a blue book value ( that I didnt know anything about til my mechanic boyfriend ran the numbers a few months ago ) of about $1600. But I was charged $11, 000 dollars and another $5000 for financing. I've owned it for 19 months and have had one problem after another with it. The engine light is on right now as I speak.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, where you've already payed 2 to 3 times the price your vehicle is worth ( and repair bills ) and still owe several thousand dollars on it please contact me at:

[email protected]

I have an idea that will ( possibly )only work if we ban together. Please have copies of all repair bills and the blue book price quote for your car. No guarantees but its worth a try.

Thanks, Fran

• 1f
    1FuckingUnhappyCustomer Oct 10, 2019

@Fran1965 Hey what is this email address? Bad DT experience in AZ

Michael73 Apr 04, 2010

I have been reading all the complaints on different sites about this company, and I have seen the employees try to defend... I have NEVER seen so many terrible complaints about ONE company in my life... While I agree with the employees that some don't pay their bills and I agree that nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to over pay and buy a crappy car. DRIVETIME IS STILL AT FAULT... Drivetime CHOSE to rip people off, that was their decision, and no amount of ignorance on the side of the the buyers excuses Drivetime of their illegal behavior. I find it amazing that none of the complainers thought to go to the police and file charges. At a minimum go to the local news channel for help, but also remember that you have the right to arbitration, so file it...

Make sure anyone who rips off the public goes out of business... I wish you all luck, but keep talking so that everybody knows to stay away from this company...

• Vy
    vyh23 May 16, 2010

I agree with most of the complaints on here, I bought an 02 focus lx that I am still paying for as well and my engine light on came on a few days after I took the car home & they told me I would have to go to their repair center which was a 3-4 hous away and that I would still have to pay the service fees. I have a full time job and kids to take care of, like I really have the time or money! I read the carfax before buying and it was clean so there's no excuse, they probably had it reset so the light would go off hoping someone wouldn't notice. They are preying on innocent people and you reps can argue otherwise, because that is your job! This is the first car I've owned, I came here without any previous credit history. I realized before buying that I would end up paying more than the car was worth and that the finance rate was high and I was fine with that because I didn't have much of a choice. I've made the payments on time for over a year and the one month I ask for a few weeks extension, the rude lady on the phone wants to literally argue with me and say that it's not possible. Horrible customer service!! Now I only owe less than $5000 on the car so if they aren't willing to work with me just this once then I will not waste anymore money and take my business elsewhere. I would not recommend drivetime to anyone, not even as a last resort.

• Kv
    KVA Jun 29, 2010

THEY ARE THE MOST DUMBEST DEALERSHIP I HAVE EVER BOUGHT A CAR FROM, PERIOD POINT BLANK, THEY ARE A RIPOFF AND THEY GET OFF ON DOING IT TO EVERYONE, AND ITS LIKE WHEN I ASK TO SPEAK TO A REAL MANAGER, THERE ISNT ONE. ITS LIKE A SCAM ALL AROUND, ANYTHING TO GET YOU IN A CAR!!! EXCUSE MY FRENCH, BUT [censor] THEM. I HAVE ACTUALLY TOLD THEM THAT TO THERE FACE, SO NOTHING NEW. BASICALLY THEY TELL YOU THAT EVERYDAY LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

DONT BE FOOLED. BETTER LOOK ELSEWHERE, GETTING A VEHICLE IS NOT THAT SERIOUS, TRUST

• Ne
    Neutral DT Jul 22, 2010

I agree with most of the negative complaints.. I have a vehicle from DT as well. I have minimal credit so alot of other dealers wanted more down then DT or they wanted me to sign a more then 4 year contract... DT did the opposite. I heard both good and bad about them. My side of the story is that they are fair with credit. BUT the one complaint I do have is their calls... I had my account set up to auto withdrawal, DT somehow messed that up and cancelled it, so I had to make payments in the store as I do not provide account #s over the phone or online to avoid being robbed. THEN they decide to cut that as part of their services and refer me to pay at WAL MART... no thanks. They also list several vendors who take DT payments... none of them do... when I call DT they give me the run around. THANK THE LORD for one smart person at DT who was able to actually help me with re settting the auto deductions from my bank account after 2 employees and a supposed supervisor told me they couldn't do that for me. DT harrasses people for payments and I know why now, they have nothing better to do with their day when so many people complain about their CS they must be losing buisness left and right. The upside to DT is they are fair with credit issues the downside is their CS and courtesy.

• Su
    SuchaQT Jul 28, 2010

For me the issue wasn't credit but the fact that I had not been at my current job long enough for traditional car dealerships that brought me to DT. Based upon appearances they seemed like they had decent vehicles.
    I should have run when I had the chance, as all of the aforementioned signs were there! Upon arrival at DT I chose my vehicle left 1/2 of the required deposit and agreed to pick up my vehicle in 2 weeks. I decided to pick up the vehicle early and guess what they had sold the car!! Yes, the one I left a deposit on!! After having a few choice words with the sales manager and dialing BBB in his face when he said they couldn't refund my deposit they begged and pleaded for me not to call BBB and Secretary of State---they agreed to use my deposit as my down payment towards any car on the lot keep my payments under 400 blah, blah, blah. For the 1st year I was very on point w making my payments in a timely manner. At about 1 1/2 my job had to make some major cuts that effected pay and medical benefits. I was still over income to qualify for any special medical programs. And, then it hit...of course!! My son has to have surgery and all of a sudden I am paying specialists, pediatricians, hospitals, prescriptions out of pocket. It was my intention to pay the car off early but my 7k went to medical expenses. My car payment starts slipping due to medical expenses/not having full pay due to taking time off for my son and the collection calls start coming. To the point I was being called 10-15 times a day at work---when I told the DT Loan Sprvsr. this she said this was impossible; I asked for a fax number so I could fax her my call history and she refused to give it to me. I asked repeatedly and she started telling me I was being rude, I was hostile, I was angry, etc. Typical things that collectors say when they are not able to answer questions. I asked her to review my account for any notations of a conversation that I had with another representative just 3 days prior to her call regarding being set up on a deferred payment plan...and guess what 'no notation'!! WOW!! She continues to tell me I'm being rude and talking to her like a child because I am asking questions regarding my account/my money (oh, yeah--made payment on Monday w/confirmation code & rep. sd they don't see payment) yet she still will not answer any question I'm asking. I specifically, asked for any other form that may utilize as it is evident that when they are speaking with you they are not always being honest in conversation and you may end up with a whole other scenario depending on the next representative you get. She then asks me what other types of communication are there----uhhh, letter/mail, fax, email, etc. And, guess what they don't have any of those things!! I refuse to continue to speak with someone via phone and have them blatantly lie to me! If I had truly gone with my gut, I would've gone to the 'real' car dealership across the street and just put down more money!
    Oh, and let's not forget the DT SalesRep who showed up at my job and pretended as if he were looking for a medical office...uh, huh! Yeah...can you say stalking! And, then asks me out! And, no he wasn't there on DT business my loan was currrent++ at that time.
    DT hires people who would not traditionally be hired anywhere else!! At $8.25-$10.00 you get what you pay for I guess, it's sad that their customers end up suffering the ignorance of these DT derelicts.

• Le
    let's do this...baby! Sep 16, 2010

I just submitted an application to work for DT. I've been selling cars for 9 years at the same place and was top man in 06 and 07 in sales. They sent me an email and said I don't have what they're looking for. Wow. What a place.
    To all those who are thinking about a car with " not the best credit." Add up the payments: That 8K dollar car will cost 20K after all is said and done. Plus insurance. Take public transportation, ask a friend from work for a ride (offer to pay) or even a relative. $$$$$$$$$ Give yourself the 20K. You earned it.

• 11
    1122radio Oct 06, 2010

I too was ripped off by Drive Time. All their cars are way over priced. The interest rates are extremely high! BUYER BEWARE! DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY! I went to Drive Time whenI felt I didn't have any other option. They shouldn't be called Drive Time; they should be called Last Resort. I would only reccommend this company if you have really bad credit and desperately need a vehicle. In matter of fact, save up $1500 and buy an old car to get to point A to point B. Rebuild your credit and go somewhere ele. You will have to be able to put down at least $1, 000 to $1, 500 anyway to get a car from Drive Time. So save up and take a bus or ask someone for a ride until you can get a vehicle elsewhere.REMEMBER THIS! I WISH SOMEONE HAD WARNED ME!

• Fo
    former DT patron Oct 31, 2010

I HOPE THEY GO OUT OF BUSINESS AND ROT! I've paid off 2 cars with them (which my husband decided to buy from them while I was at work) and THEY ARE [censor]S THAT SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS!

THEY PUT MY BOSS'S PHONE NUMBER ON THEIR AUTDIALER EVERY TWO WEEKS NO MATTER WHAT! I've ALWAYS PAID ON TIME AND $20 MORE EACH TIME!

I HATE THEM AND I HOPE THAT COMPANY DIES!!!

• Ju
    juliet cooke Jan 07, 2011

Drive time tells a hold lot of lies to people who are having hard times; I feel that drive should be reported to TV 10. All they do is take your money and lie about your monthly payment, because they told me that I will be making monthly payment but later I found out that they take monthly payment from you twice a month. And if you get paid three times that month they will take money each time, that is not a monthly payment and I feel something need to be done about this company. If I could it all over again me would not pick drive time so I tell you out there please check with other people before buying from drive time? And after you get a car from them their customer service sick they talk to any kind of way and call you if you are late one day. I will never get another car from them even if they are the last car dealer on land I'll wake first. They are liars and that is the truth all they want is your money they really do not care about you or your credit problems and they charge you twice the price for the car that you get from them and that is something else that they do not fully explain to you. For my car I pay too much for monthly payment. It really should be a limitation for what they are during two people maybe we should stand together and get the BBB on them and talk to TV 10 to let everybody know what they are during two people out here.

• Ju
    juliet cooke Jan 07, 2011

Drive time tells a hold lot of lies to people who are having hard times; I feel that drive time should be reported to TV 10. All they do is take your money and lie about your monthly payment, because they told me that I will be making monthly payment but later I found out that they take monthly payment from you twice a month. And if you get paid three times that month they will take money each time, that is not a monthly payment and I feel something need to be done about this company. If I could it do all over again, I would not pick drive time so I tell you out there please check with other people before buying from drive time? And after you get a car from them their customer service is bad because they talk to you any kind of way and will call you if you are one day late. I will never get another car from them again even if they were the last car dealer on land I'll walk first. They are liars and that is the truth all they want is your money they really do not care about you or your credit problems and they also charge you twice the price for the car that you get from them and that is something else that they do not fully explain to you. For my car I pay too much for monthly payment. It really should be a limitation for what they are during too people. maybe we should get together and get the BBB on them or talk to TV 10 to let everybody know what they are during too people out here.

• Ls
    Lsport8585 Feb 04, 2011

My credit was a 620 I paid 550 down and have a 28% interest rate. I pay over 250 every two weeks. Here is the kicker, The car is dead. I still have to pay on it till Nov. 2014. Dt don't care. I'm telling you listen to all the people here. The only ones that said any thing good about DT are the employees. Thats cause they make money off of you. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Nothing about them can end up good. I will never buy from them again. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices