Doubleday Book ClubNo customer service number

J

I feel like many who have had the UNFORTUNATE pleasure of getting involved with this book club --------am still dealing with there claims that I have not fullfilled my obligation even though I did nearly seven years ago. I actually over paid them and was asking for my money back (13.74), but they never responded. No CUSTOMER SERVICE number...and then seven years later( 9-27-04) I finally got a refund. I almost had a heart attack...

I was going to frame it...I already filed a complaint with the BBB...Then about two weeks ago (12-7-04) I got a letter stating I had not full filled my obligation and they were turning my closed account over to a collection agency.

It is sad because I just got a check for the the over payment. How can a company get away with treating people like this. I know others have experienced this...Helpful info I found at the BBB: real numbers to reach these people [protected] and [protected]). I hope this helps someone who is endlessly writing letters like I did for close to four years.

• Fl
    FLreeder Aug 29, 2016

I'll let the complaints about false advertising and non-existent customer service stand on there own - no need to repeat those experiences. But you would think that a "book club" would operate with a little class and integrity. Not so Doubleday. In less than a 12 month period I received more than 135 emails. What kind of a reputable business needs to create that confusion in the buying, obligation, specials, etc. There were to have been 12 buying decisions in the 12 months. When I asked them to expain why I received more than 135 emails they simply did not communicate back to me. However, the emails continue even though they now confirm my membership cancelled. One last point; I thought I had completed my purchase obligation by purchasing two book recordings - current selections in their emails - only to find out that $35 recorded books from their
    selection list does not count. Stay away from these scam artists.

• La
    laura F. Nov 07, 2013

This club is the worse book club ever. They send book I never order, they charge for books I never got. They let you wait online for 30 minutes and they can't provide an accurate answer to your complains! I have been trying to email them, it takes several weeks to get a response to a question I haven't made!! Horrible, terrible!! Don't get involve with those people! they will give you head cakes! I hope they close down and they get suit!

• En
    EnglishPhD Oct 28, 2013

Last December (2012) I was billed for a "Featured Selection" that I never received. I used the e-mail link and received no response. My sister, Anne, has been practicing law for 22 years, including 10 years with the New York County DA's office, where she prosecuted only Felony sex crimes and had a great conviction rate. After her promised 10 years in return to her final promotion to Executive ADA., she joined omen of those "white shoe" law firm we hear so much about on "Law and Order" Anne's first letter (and she a subordinate research the specific statutes). I thought the DD staff simply couldn't understand her prose — OR because she had one of there support staff use her private practice letterhead (even ADAs are entitled to private practices on their own time; of course, they must be licensed attorneys), they didn't take it seriously. I also considered the possibility that true reader(s) didn't understand her prose. I'm a professor of English and Journalism, so I suggested I write the second letter to go out under her signature, after she reviewed it. I did and she did. Now several months later, they are beginning to billing cycle once more and there no phone number connecting us to real people. This isn't a HUGE
    amount of money; my sister indicated at at her prevailing rate of $800/hour for "Out of Court" work, she just might send them a bill on the firm's letterhead. I've never had this trouble with any book club — but how stupid is Doubleday to ignore attorneys' letters citing the appropriate statues? An attorney doesn't have to be admitted to the Federal Bar and The Supreme Court of the United States to take action, but I couldn't afford my sister's (and her staff's) help if I had to pay for it. I seem to remember "restarting" an apparently resolved issues by starting from scratch, with the first "reminder" letter. My sister is so annoyed that she's planning on drowning Doubleday with paperwork, particularly Federal Court Orders. She has plenty of subordinates and friends (as well as the entire Civil Division, which she doesn't supervise directly, but friends of a decade) who will be glad to file them. She rankles at the waste of time and said perhaps she'll file suit; Doubleday has the burden of proof (which they do not) and she'll have two of her highest priced colleagues with her so that Doubleday will be saddled with at least $10K in Court Costs. They don't know all the sate and federal judges in this jurisdiction; between Anne and her friends, they do. I should bill them for my time, too. When I tutor college/grad students, I charge $125/hr. As posted above, this once was a honorable and honest company. I was a member about 10-12 years ago and never recalled any trouble of this nature.

• Su
    suzy89r Jun 21, 2012

I signed up for them because i was expecting twins and thought it would be a good deal to have some childrens book via mail. I responded and declined all the featured selections they were wanting to send me. I called to be removed from the featured selection offers and the girl was very nice about it, said i was still to fulfill my obligation to purchase 2 more book at full price by Jan 1st 2013. Not a problem. I have 6 months to do so and i will. However, My issue is after not being sent any shipments because i was not on the featured selection and had not received any emails asking to accept or decline, I had a 44$ charge to my bank account that i did not authorize. I even went to the extent when i called originally to be removed from this option to changing my credit card number they have on file so it would come back un-payable there fore me not being charged. However, Don't ever give them ur number cuz when you change it they will still charge you the old card. So, now after being charged for books (i have NOT received) i am obligated to buy 2 more at full price and pay the fees to my bank for a charge on an account that i no longer use. So thank you doubleday bookclub for FML for another day...

• Do
    DonnaH. Mar 27, 2012

I was just billed by Doubleday - for 2 - Automatic Shipments - because I'd failed to reply in time. I have no problem with that. The fault there is mine.'
    However, I do have a problem when they bill me for both shipments - at the same time!
    And both shipments just happen to be double books?
    That's $48 taken out of my account at one time - without my prior knowledge or consent
    Not only that - I had yet to even see the shipment from February!

I have since switched to paper notices with them - hopefully they will not repeat this again since they can't seem to bill you in the correct time frame.

angry with clubs Jan 23, 2012

when you fist start in this club you think that it is a good deal but they are just trying to get money out of you. they send you books that you didn't buy and then expect you to keep paying the charges from these books. This club really needs to make sure that their costumers understand what they are getting themselves into.

notreallyhere Sep 26, 2011

Block them. Easy as that.

• Jb
    jbcomplaints Jul 11, 2011

Doubleday Book Club uses misleading practices to send you books you do not request or want and to chrge your credit card without you realizing until it's too late. 1) DD did not recognize the extra book I purchased when I first joined as applying to my overall commitment, even though DD itself pushed the purchase specifically to help appply towards the final commitment.

2) The Featured Selections process is VERY misleading and seems set up to take your money without you knowing. You are supposed to get a Featured Selections Email which gives you the option to deline the 2 books offered. However, the Featured Selection actually offers 4 books but only lets you decline 2 of them. You have to visit the website to decline the 2 others, but the Featured Selection email does not tell you that, so when decline what is offered, they send you the other books and charge you for those and shipping and wrapping.

3) In a 3 week period, I not only got the Featured Selection email for 4 books, 2 of which I was allowed to decline, buta week AFTER the email, ANOTHER 2 Featured Selection books were posted to the website to be accepted/declined, and I received NO email!

4) Total cost of this process - over $75 in books that Doubleday misleads the visitor in having to pay for in November/December 2010.

Really, don't get sucked in to the promotion. You will find your credit card charged for books you don't even know have been added to your account as a Featured Selection - you literally have to check the website every few days to make sure you aren't getting something slipped into your account without you being told. BEWARE!!!

• Pr
    Projections Jun 17, 2011

Imagine my surprise after receiving an email from Doubleday stating that I had not fulfilled my requirement of ordering 4 books. (Last year, I received an email from them stating I still had one book left to order towards my commitment.) Called the 717 number listed above, asking for an audit of all the books I'd ordered since joining. Oddly enough, Doubleday doesn't keep order histories beyond 18 months. Really? A book club that almost insists upon everything being done virtually, and they don't have the capacity to keep order histories? I'm hoping I've saved that earlier email, stating that I have one book left...but if I didn't save it, I'll play their silly game. The email they sent has an order form on it. I'll simply mail it in and insist that they bill me as, oddly enough, I don't have the capacity to keep track of my credit card...which forced me to report it as lost/stolen...thereby canceling it.

MarthaCL Jun 07, 2011

[protected]...I called this number and it is Doubleday Book Club. I have already fulfilled my commitment and called them to cancel the automatic shipping of books from their "featured selection" list, or cancel my membership if they were unable to do that. The customer service rep changed my account over to an "order only" status and said that they would no longer automatically ship me books from their "featured selection" list. What a relief, that drove me crazy! They would send me books automatically from their "featured selection", though I had not received an email on those particular books. Several times I received an email to respond to their "featured selection", which I did every time without fail, and they would turn around and either send me the books anyway, or send me other books that were not even on the "featured selection" list that month. I emailed them and they did, however, send me a shipping label (at their expense) to return the books, which I did. I will wait and see how it goes with the "order only" status on my account and see if they treat me right. If they continue to send me books automatically, I will cancel my account. I do like the fact that their books are much cheaper than buying them at a store, especially when Doubleday runs specials and their books are very inexpensive.

• Pa
    Pam_R May 11, 2011

I want to say thank you again to Mary for posting Doubleday's phone number. I was not real happy to have allowed myself to be drawn in by the initial offer of 5 books for 99 cents (which actually turned out to cost over $27 by the time they added on all the fees and shipping. In fact, I was very irate about the fact that the additional charges were not disclosed until AFTER the order was already processed and it was too late to back out.

However, now that I am already in their clutches, I have decided to make the best of it, at least until I have met my obligation and can cancel (3 more books to go). I have used the customer service phone number, [protected], that I found on this website and called three times. I have to say, in defense of Doubleday (and this is the only thing I will say in their defense), that my experience with their customer service has been very positive. The first two calls, the ladies were extremely helpful in refunding me for books I did not want that were autoshipped. One of them promptly credited my bank card for a shipment I said I did not receive, without any proof or argument. On the last call, a few minutes ago, I had no problem cancelling the next autoship order before it goes out. I have to say that, unlike others, I am impressed with their customer service.

I will add another post when the times come to cancel my membership and let you know how that goes. I don't plan to order the last three books anytime soon, so it will be awhile.

• Ki
    kiher108 May 05, 2011

I was suckered into signing up for Doubleday through a "risk free" trial that offered 5 books for 99 cents each + S&H. I was billed @ $15. It turns out that "risk free" actually means that I have a COMMITMENT to purchase an additional 4 books at regular pricing. To cancel the account and commitment I will need to return the
    5 "trial" books and pay the shipping! So I'll be out @ $30 for the NO RISK, FREE TRIAL offer. I was only able to find a customer service number through this complaint site.

• Po
    poetjwall Apr 08, 2011

[protected] - I got my account canceled. When you log back in after canceling your account, it says suspended and displays their customer service number. Hope this helps someone.

• Ni
    Nikorah Mar 14, 2011

I guess I am not sure what "your attitude towards complaint" means??

• Ni
    Nikorah Mar 14, 2011

I am having problems with this company too. They tell me I have to edit my now expired credit card on their site but there is not an option to. It will let me get as far as changing the expiration date but I want to change the whole credit card number. They also say that you can choose to pay with a credit card or to get billed later and yet there is absolutely no place to check "bill me later". what a crock! I have emailed them this several times and I keep getting the same answer back which has nothing to do with the question. Its really strange, its almost as if its being automated cuz apparently noone is actually reading what I am asking. I will never use this club again, they stink.

• Hm
    H.M. Arnold Feb 07, 2011

This company used to be above-board and honorable-no longer-I have been trying to cancel my membership-Have done so
    via e-mail and written notice-I have even had to cancel a credit-card, because would charge me, and never send the books, that I never ordered. Then when I complained, would send the book, that I would refuse, lucky for me, my credit card company is reliable and made them refund my money-still I am on the "books". I just don't know what to do anymore-I am actually thinking of contacting my lawyer about this, seems silly-but they need to stop strong-arm selling buy ripping off people-I urge anyone thinking of joining this book club - to not.

• Fr
    froglvr Jan 31, 2011

I have ordered from Double Day several times and I recieved the packet and only liked 2 books to fulfil my committments so I ordered 4 that I would like to have read. I got one book that I never even ordered so I called and said I would keep that and they could cancel the one that was back ordered. About 2 weeks ago, I recieved a letter stating that I had my total committment left to fulfil and they would charge me 72.00 or something like that if I didnt fill the committment. I called in and asked how this is possible if I just fulfilled the committment. I looked closer at all my statements and the account numbers are different! So I have 2 accounts with them at the same time in the same name but a different email. I cannot log in . I have tried several different emails and passwords and nothing works. I have emailed them and they will not email back. Every time that I call it says that their closed. It makes it kinda hard to get anything done. I will be glad when this account is done .. it too will be closed and I will no longer do business with them.

• Pa
    Pam_R Jan 26, 2011

I called the first number in this posting and it was not a working number. However, the [protected] number worked. They answer under a different name but were able to transfer me to Doubleday's customer service. Thanks so much for posting this.

• Qu
    QuikHugMe Nov 30, 2010

Doubleday's official number is as follows: [protected]. This is THE customer service number along with billing, and ordering your books or denying your Editor's Pick. I have been with Doubleday for many, many years (20+). The best things about it (after you fulfill your commitment) is the amazing price breaks you get for ordering (especially online). I just ordered the Stephanie Meyer complete collection, which includes, "Twilight, " "New Moon, " Ecplipse, " "Breaking Dawn, " and the newest novel "The Second Short Life of Bree Tanner." It was $79.95, but when I refused it, Doubleday took me to a new page that allowed me to buy for the low price here... of $53.03 (incl tax), shipping is free!!!

So if you want the real number, use mine as listed above. Works like a champ, everytime!!! Tried the number under that "arkiefenarkie" left - it is a different company all together.

Re: Mary Colosa: I had the same thing happen to me with Quality Paperbacks Book Club. Moreover, it took them 5 years to put me to collections for $176.95 for books I never ordered, nor had I ever been a member of QPBC, or ever received a bill. When their creditor calls me, I tell them "I don't owe you and I only pay those that I owe!" He tried to cut me off telling me that I owe THEM, but I never pay collectors, only the original creditor. Since then I have call QPBC and they have erased he entire debt!!! If you don't ask, you never receive ... and I ALWAYS ask to speak with a manager, not just a C.S. person, cuz they can't reverse the charges as their Manager can.

Just my opinion, and you all know what those are like :)

• Am
    Amanda C Lee Sep 29, 2010

The Doubleday book club has used my credit card unaurthorized by me. I did not order anything from them to cause them to make this charge and now I face overdraft fees because of this. Also I have already fulfilled my membership requirements and this is the second time I have asked them to cancel my account. I hope others have a better experience than I did.

Mary Colosa Jun 22, 2010

I have received a bill from company call RJM Acquisitions LLC about Doubleday Book Club saying, I owed a $137.56. I have never order any products from this company. Also its eleven years later that they are asking for this money, I will not pay for something that I don't have. I don't agree with this company policy of business. I will not deal with any company that treats their customers in this way. Thank you, Mary Colosa

angryg Apr 01, 2010

I just got off the phone with Doubleday...supposedly I ordered 2 books from them 2 years ago, I'd never heard anything about these books until this March. I asked for the order information and when they gave me the information they had for me the credit card number didn't match the credit card I've had for almost 3years now. I've never recieved any books from this company and now they've sent this bill to a collection agency. When I told the collection company that this is not my debt they told me just to pay it and then go to the company and complain. I don't get how company's can do this to people, they charge people for crap they didn't get and then screw with their credit and the collection companies are just as bad.

• Le
    leighla Mar 23, 2010

For 4 yrs they harassed me then sent my info to a collection agency. i paid. guess why i didnt follow through on my FOUR books at regular price deal????!!! They had NO books i likes or was interested in. Their selection f- in SUCKED. They had NO books that were good. Its like harlequin romances...BORING.

• Un
    Unhappy without Sookie Mar 02, 2010

*** NEW NUMBER AS OF MARCH 2, 2010*** [protected]

Ordered "Special Search" books (which apparently do not count toward obligation even though I paid $50 for a set of seven-books), which still have not arrived today, 3/2/10, even though I ordered them 2/6/10.

I emailed, via the website a week and a half ago, but was told I cannot cancel an order that's been shipped. Today, I called and demanded a refund for goods not received. I am very disappointed.

My refund is promised within 24 hours. We'll see..

• arkiefenarkie Jun 12, 2009

I would like to share here that there is a telephone number to which you can reach Doubleday Book Club customer service. That number is:
    [protected]

The reason that this number is not toll free is that it keeps the overhead costs low so that those who wish to purchase books through this company will have a lower cost to pay than from other companies. This is the reason that was given to me by a CSR of Doubleday Book Club.

Additionally, you will have to have your account number (9 digits) prior to calling as this is the only sure way that you'll get expedient help.

I neither agree or disagree with the information above about the company with the exception that there is, in fact, a number to which you can reach customer service for this company.