Diversified Collection Servicesharrassment of neighbors

Leah at [protected] x 3743 harrasses neighbors, family members, and threatens me to pay a debt that is not mine. I grew up in a town with three girls with the same exact name and now this person Leah feels that it is ok to call everyone in my hometown and now in my new neighborhood, because she happened to get someone that knew me. I don't know or care where the other two girls are with my same name, but if the harrassment doesn't stop I will get a lawyer and sue Diversified Collection Services and Leah.

madashe77 May 24, 2013

I just got my phone hooked up...not BC I needed it, but BC I had to have it for my internet!! I got a call looking for my neighbor!!! Wtf!!! I don't know how these companies are allowed to do this kind of thing!! I got rid of my phone before BC I would get telamarketing calls all hours of the night!! I pay my bills so don't f***in call me!!

• Kb
    kbakeroo69 Jun 16, 2012

I to keep getting phone calls for somebody else I to have told them I am not that person they refuse to give me any information about they company instead they want me to give them my information they are rude and incompetent people, I have found the person they are looking for she told me they have her number and they had called and talk to her early that same day so why are they calling me. I get 2 to 4 calls a day from them, help what can I do?

• Bl
    bleedingthemapennyatatime May 19, 2012

What they are doing is illegal and you need to contact an attorney and sue them. Call [protected] and tell them what is going on. Also start recording your phone calls, because they will lie and say they did nothing wrong. Also note days, times and person that has called.

• Bl
    bleedingthemapennyatatime May 19, 2012

• R1
    R1130 Jun 17, 2011

So they took the $3500 out of your account as a garnishment and that was the end of the contact with them?

• Co
    concerned101101 May 19, 2011

I don't agree at all I have them calling me and I called back to ask them what loan they are talking about and what school I suposely have this loan from. They would not give me any information without giving them my banking information. I reacieved a letter that said I have ten days to talk to them and work something out. I just want to know what loan this is and I m not giving any banking information over the phone to people I don't know are true. This company is a bunch of bull. They say they want to work with you but they don't they want everything there way or no way. Which is fine but I wantto know what they are trying to collect before i give them any information.

• Ji
    Jimi Streets May 15, 2011

In early 2017, I bought a home inspection franchise from a company based in Vermont. I did no business in Vermont at any time. In January 2017, I settled my debt with the company owner and got out of the business. The last home inspection I ever did was November 2017.
    Fast forward to the present. Beginning about two weeks ago, I began receiving messages on my home phone voice mail asking me to return their call to company called DCS, regarding the home inspection company. A couple of days back, my wife answered a call from them in which they stated that they were DCS, Diversified Collections Service, and they told her that they were calling on behalf of their client, the "Vermont Department of Taxation" (there is no such thing, it is Department of TAXES) for taxes I owed for 2017. Yesterday, I received a letter from the good folks at DCS stating my "delinquent debt" has been referred to them. $1491.36!!!
    First of all, I had NEVER been informed at any time by either the Vermont Department of Taxation nor the Vermont Department of Taxes that I ever owed them anything! Now this debt I never knew I had, nor do I think I have now, is at a collection agency. I'm afraid my credit is going to be messed up over this.
    I do suspect what may be going on, correct me if I'm off base here.
    I suspect that the company owner has gone out of business, likely owing mountains of taxes to the state of Vermont. Could it be that he is somehow trying to pass off some of this debt onto us former franchise owners? Just a thought.
    I would really appreciate anything you have to say about this matter!!

• Gb
    gbrakis Apr 19, 2011

i have been trying to settle a dispute i have with DCS for months. i was told the dispute process takes about 60-90 days and it has been 6 months. my wages were being garnished, but when the garnishment should have been paid off, DCS tacked on $3500 in fees and penalties. I sent paperwork to dispute the debt to JAMIE PENA at DCS Nov. 19, 2017. haven't heard from them since they got the dispute letter and stopped the garnishment. i think they are just hoping i will be grateful i am not getting garnished anymore and forget.

• Da
    Dave Bigler Apr 13, 2011

I would actually like to give my two cents from someone who has been on both sides of agreeing with these comments then feeling as if DCS helped me out.

I received my first call from DCS in November of 2017 for student loans which had defaulted thru Citi Bank - about $26, 000. I never answered the first few calls as they called me from an area code in which I used to live and my cell phone was still under that area code. I ignored the calls assuming it was someone I did not know. I finally answered, and a lady named Veronica White was on the other end informing me she was from a debt collection agency. At first I was extremely confused because I thought I had deferred all of my Citi Bank loans. It was unclear to me loan numbers 24-30 were not deferred and were sent to DCS which amounted to $26, 000. I was extremely upset and completely ignored her calls as if I wanted to just ignore my debt. Between November 2017 and February 2017, the interest had accrued and my debt total increased to about $32, 000. I called Veronica White after another voicemail she had left for me and said I wanted to take care of this. I did not do any research on DCS nor had I ever heard of them. I blindly sent them a check for $32, 000 and that debt was lifted. I did not get information on this debt from DCS, but Citi Bank did validate them and sent me a letter stating that they had turned over collection efforts to DCS.

1 Month later I received a call from Veronica again - this time $14, 000. This time I made sure I did a little research on DCS and have read thru not only this board, but several others as well. I called the Federal Trade Commission who referred me to the DoE and the California Consumer Protection Agency. The doE was of no help but the California Consumer Protection Agency was very helpful. I called Veronica back yesterday and told her my situation, let her know that I would pay the debt but not all at once this time. This time I requested validation of the debt not only thru Citi Bank, but thru DCS as well and let it be known to her that i am obligated to pay only what is affordable and fair based on income-contingency, by law. She understood and I told her I would send a down payment of $7, 800 after I had received the validation. DCS did not seem to be as bad as I thought they were a few weeks ago.

I remember one day a few months back, I actually called Veronica on the weekend and left 7 voicemails for her in a row, knowing she would not pick up. They were all right after one another - I was just trying to annoy her and in one message stated that Iw as only doing it because she was doing the same to me.

I know that the economy is not in our favor. When we went to school, we agreed to pay on our debts. We all hope and plan to get great jobs and make a lot of money right out of school. Well, that is not the case. I am currently in the Staffing Industry as a Staffing Consultant and can tell you that the job market is horrible, which everyone knows. While the government had lent us money years ago, we were obligated to pay them back. As an 07 grad, the government, State and National Financial institutions, and inflation have all derailed me from my attempts to pay back my student loans. These companies want their money, which is fair. But I remember reading somewhere on the internet that someone who actually worked for DCS said something like, "The government payed for your college, you have to pay them back. We are just doing our jobs and most of the time you are the rude ones". Well everyone knows a call center job requires two eyes, a voice, and hands to type. That lady is not too smart. Does she understand that our government just nearly shutdown, that we are again looking to raise the debt ceiling by another trillion, and that Obama is possibly increasing taxes today in his new budget plan for the fiscal year 2017? The government may have lent us the money, but they have trapped us into ridiculous interest rates and have made it almost impossible to pay our debts. Why should I give my money to the government when all it is going to do is fill the 14.3 trillion dollar debt hole with that tiny payment. In the end, I am someone who understands I have to take action, but I strongly urge people to be cautious and ask many questions with them.

What is interesting is that I work with two clients which are collection agencies and as I have been working with them over the past few years, I have learned about their processes - they are two different entities and collect for two different purposes but their process are the same. They all use scripts and if you ask enough questions, they will slip up and not know what to do. I suggest anyone going into a conversation with a rep from DCS be prepared to ask several questions and take control of the conversation, as oppose to letting them take control. If you are unaware of the SANDLER technique, it might be a good idea to look it up and use it.

- Dave B

• Ms
    MSHNCCU Apr 06, 2011

at 8pm as i was begining to sit down for dinner the phone rang when asked to speak with me i said this is she . i was informed of a 14, ooo dollar debt that had apparently been in default and was told that in a couple of days they were going to attempt to garnish my check the female on the line made me feel like i was being robbed at gun point from her nasty tone to being very short with me the moment i asked to speak with her supervisor she told me that she was not going to allow me to do that as if i wasnt an adult and that she wouldnt waste her supervisors time with me then hung up on me . when i called back the second time she pretend to be someone different and when i asked if she was a supervisor sheMARLA WHITE hung up again . the third time i called i got a guy named BRENT KING supposedly he seemed to be a little better until i asked for the website for the company and he informed me that if i choose to make a complaint the would automatically forward the account for garnishment though i was attempting to defer it and that because i had an account in default i had no rights and they only had to collect a debt not be professional or courgile to me .

John L Turner Nov 13, 2010

Greetings. My name is John L Turner and I received a call @ my resident around the hour of 7:00PM and I was very disturbed by it because of the nature of the call and the strong pressure that was place on me of oweing back taxces in the state of Virginia back to year 1991. I have never received any communication involving this situation and levy on my account will commenced 11/16/2017 in the amount of $19, 720.08. I just want to satisfacory solution.

• Tr
    Tracy D K Jul 19, 2010

Jennifer Owen from Diversified Services called my neighbor and left a message for me to call her. When I called I asked why she was harassing my neighbor instead of calling me directly. She said it was because she did not have any other way of contacting me (in which she later contradicted herself). I asked her what this was in regards to and she told me it was for my student loan.

I asked several times why I haven't received any notices in the mail. She told me attempts had been made to contact me via phone and mail. I have NEVER received a phone call or mail correspondence from DCS. I asked why I had never received anything and she said they are not responsible for the postal service. HAHA How about you never sent anything?!

She started to give me the information of the company and when I told her I didn't have anything to write with she started being nasty and said she told me three times to get something to write with, which she never said! I asked her to repeat it and she said she would not repeat the information. She also said that she will hold the account until the 21st. It just doesn't make sense. If you want to get paid... then why be nasty about it?!

• Ms
    Ms> New York Mar 22, 2010

I have been constantly harassed by DCS especially Juile.Then I called to speak to a supervisor and he just judge me without knowing my situation. They were trying to get me to send them 50 dollars a month for the next 3 months.I dont have it I am currently unemplyed and my income is limited to 100 dollars a week.The guy I spoke to told me I would never be able to go back to school with my loan being in default.He was very unprofessional and I dont care how long he has been in this kind of business.I took it one step futher I called called the loan consoildation department myself.Which informed that I could do a in school deferment becasue I will be going ba ck to school next month. Your employees are not God the Ultimate Authority they need to become humble instead of getting humilitated by other people.Top be honest they need some people skills.

• Ju
    Julie in Washington DC Nov 03, 2009

I just received my umpteenth call for someone named "Joshua Myers." I have no idea who this person is. At first it was non-stop calling from a Student Loan Company. Now it is from "Diversified, " but the guy calling wouldn't tell me what "Diversified" was, nor would he tell me why he wanted to talk to "Josh." I told him there was never a "Josh" here, never would be, I never knew any "Josh." I asked him how he got this number. "Josh gave it to us." I found the guy to be uncooperative, deceitful. He never gave up and still would not give me any information. I finally hung up. BTW, I told Student Loans to take his name off of my number (I do have a Student Loan, and I am on top of it).

• As
    asiliveandbraethe Sep 09, 2009

Diversified Collection Services's consistent prior losses in court contradict your comment.

• Kn
    Know the truth** Aug 23, 2009

Its interesting how all of the complaint postings have a ton of comments on them but the one posting that is trying to explain how DCS works only has one comment and that is saying f* ya'll. Another great showing of how debtors only see and hear what they want to and not the truth. I say good job on explaining the FDCPA and the Privacy Act Ms Informative Jane.

• Sh
    sherr030 Jul 15, 2009

Diversified has contacted my dad who is very ill with cancer and continues to harrass him, my father-in-law and myself. They stated they would refinance my loan for $50 a month but upon receiving the papers, there was no mention of this and they stated they did not have to put that information on there and in the next sentence stated it was on there. They were asked to make all contacts by writing and they said they did not have to. I asked for the address to request them to stop calling and they told me to find it myself. So I did. And so the saga continues...

• Do
    DOG HOUSE Jul 14, 2009

fuk yall

• In
    Informative Jane Jun 27, 2009

I have read through all of the complaints regarding DCS and their alleged harassment and third party disclosure tactics. Please, learn the law, read it thoroughly. They can call you at work, that is perfectly ok and right for them to do. UNLESS, you tell them verbally or in writing that you can lose your job if they call again. They can call your family, neightbors, landlord, even the corner bar all in the hopes of getting you to call them. They cannot disclose your personal business, however the person they contact assumes it is a bill collector or looks it up on line that is not DCS' fault nor is it their disclosure. I see the nasty customer service comment all over the place in these blogs. One answer: they aren't customer service they are bill collectors, they don't have to be nice or accomadating. They do have to be respectful and give you full knowledge of what you are facing. That means when they tell you about the Treasury Tax Offset Program or Administrative Wage Garnishment, they aren't threatening you, they are informing you. BIG DIFFERENCE!! Also, look up every major collection agency in America, they ALL get sued because of misinformed debtor's becoming money hungry and thinking that the bill collector has done wrong. Nobody is perfect, i will admit that however most of these cases are settled not won, due to the money saved with settling not because they collection agency cannot win their case. Please again read the FDCPA and learn your state collection laws, most of you are highly misinformed.

johnadamdunn2009 Jun 26, 2009

The Company is calling My Husband at work&It almost got him fired! But it was an answering machine or a automated call! 1st of all that is illegal too!

• Al
    allduefairness Mar 01, 2009

If they are discussing your neighbor's debt with you, you MUST immediately report this to the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General for the State of California, not post it on a complaint site. There is no charge to do this, and you will be doing the right thing by fighting back against illegal practices.

They are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and as much as they hate them, they MUST follow them.

• Lt
    lt Nov 24, 2008

Diversified Collection Services... has called my house numberous of times.. looking for a neighbor. This is againt privacy laws. They are very, very, rude. I don't even have contact with my neighbor, and they giving their personal business away..