Dish Network — deceptive practices - udap - intentionally confusing their customers
In October of 2015 I started a 2 year contract with DISH Network - Price Lock Package. My 'contract' printed out in the statement has verbiage to the effect of "DISH will not change (a) the prices you pay for programming packages set forth below (the "Programming Price Lock Packages") or (b) the Additional Receiver Fees you pay during the twenty-four (24) month period immediately following the activation of your DISH service... etc. There is a table of prices in the message, along with talk about the Dish Pause, suspend service and more.
Now, to get this price lock, you the consumer must agree to setting up auto-pay. OK, many do because this makes life easy - one less thing to worry about and as long as your bank statement dollar amount is relatively close, you don't even look at your bills.
Now for the deception. February 2016, Dish raised my package rate $5. AND then, so that I would not notice, they raised my discounts to cover that price increase. So, now I am back looking at the contract and I see further down in the message there is a comment that states "you acknowledge and agree that DISH shall have the right to change any and all prices, fees and charges at any time..."
#1 that consumers don't read to the very bottom of their contracts when they specifically point out in the beginning that they can't raise the rates. #2 by having consumers set up auto pay for their bills, they will not look at their bills if the dollar amount they see on their credit card statement seems right
#3 when the 24 months is up, they have raised the package price in a sneaky and deceptive way and on the 25th month, that $74.99 now has become what? another $5 or $10 or however many $$ more, increases they have snuck into your contract and your only option then is to continue to pay or cancel your account?
These are intentional deceptive pricing practices and DISH should be brought to task for doing this. If the credit card companies have to follow UDAP - why not these big companies also?
More Dish Network Complaints & Reviews
- Dish Network - as a former employee let me tell you
- Dish Network - false advertising, wrong billing, poor customer service
- Dish Network - dish network receiver equipment scam!!!
- Dish Network - dish network pay per view fraudulent charges
- Dish Network - dishonorable business practices
- Dish Network - ignorant representatives, overcharging and scamming my account
- Dish Network / Dish.com - fox sports outage
- Dish Network / Dish.com - lack of satellite reception
- Dish Network / Dish.com - dropping fox
- Dish Network - horrendous customer service!